dumb questions I was emailed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One last time: the text in Genesis 1 does not say God is the light. You are not taking the text literally in that case but giving an interpretation of "light." That's fine, but you have left the realm of literal and have entered the realm of metaphor. Next time you question another's reading of Genesis because it's not literal, just remember yours is not necessarily literal, either. Make sense?
I am not making the light symbolically

the light is light

the light does not represent some symbolic idea or meaning

so take the t however you will. It was a literal event and a one day event

Chadrho

Sep 4, 2019
East Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we have a problem Houston

There's no problem with understanding that the scriptures are divinely inspired, human texts. You must believe the same, right? God used flawed humanity to communicate Christ to us through the witness of the scriptures under the power of the Holy Spirit. I don't understand the supposed problem.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is perfect, the Bible isn't. (it's man-made)

Jesus Christ is personally responsible for the content of His written word... in spite of men being involved.

It would be unjust of the Lord to expect us to follow Him without having an accurate copy of what He said... this the whole "the bible was written by men" is a trick of the devil to either get people to ignore the Bible or to provide an opening to add stuff in or take stuff away from the Bible.

2 Peter 1:21
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Revelation 19:10
For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, hey, where do we read in the Bible about Jesus ever needing to take a leak?

(Though on a serious note, that does make me appreciate the humility required by the Incarnation. But that's a subject we can't discuss.)
Well, because it's a given when a flesh and blood person eats food ....and since it isn't written that the disciples did #1 or 2 ....do you think they didn't either?? It's not relevant to the message of the Bible. It's just common sense that He did. He came in the likeness of fallen, sinful flesh. He had a body just like ours. He got hungry. He got thirsty. It had to come out.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the evening and the morning were the first day

I do not know how anyone could take it to mean anything other than a day.

I do not know what spiritual significance we could gather from making it more than one day.

PS. God was the light on the first few days.. just like in the new jerusalem. God will be the light
Straight up truth!❤️

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All that in support of the hell doctrine.
I'm aware of how deeply entrenched this hideous doctrine is.

But what the church failed to tell us is that there are three biblical doctrines of the final judgement.
They presented their choice and covered up the rest.

Here's an amazingly unbiased presentation of all three views.

/
no sound on my computer friend

Reactions: St. SteVen

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh huh.... the old demonic heresy that there is no hell.

That's one of satan's favorite tall takes!

The question behind the questions, which is probably more important than the questions themselves.

And you know... most people rarely get the question in front of the question either.

• Haha

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, because it's a given when a flesh and blood person eats food ....and since it isn't written that the disciples did #1 or 2 ....do you think they didn't either?? It's not relevant to the message of the Bible. It's just common sense that He did. He came in the likeness of fallen, sinful flesh. He had a body just like ours. He got hungry. He got thirsty. It had to come out.
Jesus talks about it here.

Mark 7:18-19 NIV
“Are you so dull?” he asked.
“Don’t you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them?
19 For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.”
(In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)

/

Reactions: TLHKAJ

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question behind the questions, which is probably more important than the questions themselves.
Exactly!
That's why those sorts of questions need to be taken seriously. IMHO
Calling them dumb questions baffles me.

I take it as a MAJOR opportunity when an unbeliever has questions.
This is no time for belittling!

/

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 119:1-6,9-12,14-17,24,27,30,33-36,38,40-44,46-48,50,54-57,59-60,62-66,68-70,72-74,77,80-81,89,92-93,97-106,111-112,114-117,125-131,133,135-136,138-141,143-148,151-152,159-160,162-163,167,172-174
[1]ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
[2]Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
[3]They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
[4]Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
[5]O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
[6]Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
[9]BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
[10]With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
[11]Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
[12]Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
[14]I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
[15]I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
[16]I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.
[17]GIMEL. Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.
[24]Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors.
[27]Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.
[30]I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.
[33]HE. Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.
[34]Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
[35]Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
[36]Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.
[38]Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear.
[40]Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.
[41]VAU. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.
[42]So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.
[43]And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.
[44]So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.
[46]I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
[47]And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.
[48]My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.
[50]This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.
[54]Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
[55]I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy law.
[56]This I had, because I kept thy precepts.
[57]CHETH. Thou art my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep thy words.
[59]I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.
[60]I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.
[62]At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments.
[63]I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.
[64]The earth, O LORD, is full of thy mercy: teach me thy statutes.
[65]TETH. Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O LORD, according unto thy word.
[66]Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.
[68]Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes.
[69]The proud have forged a lie against me: but I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart.
[70]Their heart is as fat as grease; but I delight in thy law.
[72]The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.
[73]JOD. Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments.
[74]They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word.
[77]Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight.
[80]Let my heart be sound in thy statutes; that I be not ashamed.
[81]CAPH. My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word.
[89]LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
[92]Unless thy law had been my delights, I should then have perished in mine affliction.
[93]I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me.
[97]MEM. O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
[98]Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
[99]I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
[100]I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.
[101]I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.
[102]I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
[103]How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
[104]Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
[105]NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
[106]I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.
[111]Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.
[112]I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, even unto the end.
[114]Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.
[115]Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.
[116]Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.
[117]Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually.
[125]I am thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.
[126]It is time for thee, LORD, to work: for they have made void thy law.
[127]Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.
[128]Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.
[129]PE. Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.
[130]The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
[131]I opened my mouth, and panted: for I longed for thy commandments.
[133]Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.
[135]Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; and teach me thy statutes.
[136]Rivers of waters run down mine eyes, because they keep not thy law.
[138]Thy testimonies that thou hast commanded are righteous and very faithful.
[139]My zeal hath consumed me, because mine enemies have forgotten thy words.
[140]Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.
[141]I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts.
[143]Trouble and anguish have taken hold on me: yet thy commandments are my delights.
[144]The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live.
[145]KOPH. I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O LORD: I will keep thy statutes.
[146]I cried unto thee; save me, and I shall keep thy testimonies.
[147]I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in thy word.
[148]Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word.
[151]Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments are truth.
[152]Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them for ever.
[159]Consider how I love thy precepts: quicken me, O LORD, according to thy lovingkindness.
[160]Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.
[162]I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil.
[163]I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love.
[167]My soul hath kept thy testimonies; and I love them exceedingly.
[172]My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.
[173]Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen thy precepts.

[174]I have longed for thy salvation, O LORD; and thy law is my delight.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no sound on my computer friend
Here are the three biblical doctrines of the final judgement.
Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.
1) Damnationism
2) Annihilationism
3) Universalism
(Universal Reconciliation, Universal Restoration, Ultimate Redemption, or just UR)

/

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no problem with understanding that the scriptures are divinely inspired, human texts. You must believe the same, right? God used flawed humanity to communicate Christ to us through the witness of the scriptures under the power of the Holy Spirit. I don't understand the supposed problem.
Its a major problem if you thin God did not have people write what he wanted them to right.

Reactions: TLHKAJ