Ear piercing: for sons as well as for daughters: is it appropriate? (plus poll)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ear piercing: is it approrpriate for sons as well as for daughters?

• No, it's appropriate for neither sons nor daughters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@JohnPaul PS: The poll has expired; but I don't honestly have a problem with unobtrusive ear studs for either gender (which also seems to be generally the view of various other posters, from the poll results).

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@JohnPaul PS: The poll has expired; but I don't honestly have a problem with unobtrusive ear studs for either gender (which also seems to be generally the view of various other posters, from the poll results).
Earrings for women are nice, that’s as far as I go.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Did you mention nose rings?
I see Christians with them also.
I always thought that was only for pigs so they would not dig in the ground and disturb the soil.

(This thread is more relevant to your post.)

I don't think I recently raised nose rings, but when someone else did, I think I may have referred to Genesis where the unnamed servant of Isaac gave Rebekah a nose ring as a token of the pledge of the union; and in Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord Himself gave Zion a nose ring. While they are cultural matters of subjective preference or the lack of preference, it would be hard to declare them unBiblical.

(My 2c...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...the earrings don’t bother me.
Nor me either. At our church various young men happen to wear earrings; and among those that come from time to time they would almost be in the majority, I suppose. It's a very widespread custom in some areas, especially among immigrant families.

It's basically one of those things that in some areas have become an extremely widespread, basically benign norm.

Reactions: Waiting on him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It did used to be fashion thing and lots of lads had a piercing, but these days it's only the ones who are from certain types of background that get it done.
Well, over here at our local church among a few young men and boys that come from time to time those with earrings would probably be in the majority; over here it's very widespread among immigrant families.

I really don't find it problematic.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Well, over here at our local church among a few young men and boys that come from time to time those with earrings would probably be in the majority; over here it's very widespread among immigrant families.

I really don't find it problematic.
thats bc if God Himself came down and told you that piercings were pagan, you would not hear Him either, see

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
so, as you are intent on being a deaf idiot, i will say that this is painly discussed in Scripture, this adorning of te self, this inflation of the ego, that your obsession represents? And should anyone doubt that it becomes an obsession, all they need do is talk to some tattooees or piercees, or i mean why talk to them even, all you gotta do is look, but they will even describe the obsession to you.

Tattoos and earrings and other ego-inflating devices are fine, and completely acceptable, in the world. But farouk cannot, will not address this here, where it is so obviously inappropriate, and do you know why? Bc you let him.

So tomorrow when he is talking about dresses for men and head-shaving for women, see, will you go along with that, too? As long as it is politically correct, right?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so, as you are intent on being a deaf idiot, i will say that this is painly discussed in Scripture, this adorning of te self, this inflation of the ego, that your obsession represents? And should anyone doubt that it becomes an obsession, all they need do is talk to some tattooees or piercees, or i mean why talk to them even, all you gotta do is look, but they will even describe the obsession to you.

Tattoos and earrings and other ego-inflating devices are fine, and completely acceptable, in the world. But farouk cannot, will not address this here, where it is so obviously inappropriate, and do you know why? Bc you let him.

So tomorrow when he is talking about dresses for men and head-shaving for women, see, will you go along with that, too? As long as it is politically correct, right?
Thank you my friend for putting it so clearly! Nothing politically correct about you...LOL

Reactions: bbyrd009

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think it is strange to see a man with more then one ear pierced. And Id rather not see an earring at all in a man.
It's not strange now in our area, anyway.

At our local church, among the boys and young men that sometimes attend, a majority would wear earrings; and it's in both ears. They don't stop at one ear now; it's what they do now and it's especially widespread among young men and boys of immigrant families.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Earrings for women are nice, that’s had far as I go.
It's often instinctively that some women don't feel properly dressed to go out unless they have put them in.

(A bit like with my wife, she doesn't feel dressed properly unless she puts her face on, so to speak.)

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's often instinctively that some women don't feel properly dressed to go out unless they have put them in.

(A bit like with my wife, she doesn't feel dressed properly unless she puts her face on, so to speak.)

Yes women love their earrings. Sorry for the typo, I meant as far as I go, I hate typos.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have or should say had both ears pierced about 30 years back. I was in a renaissance and medieval reenactment group . ..It was (ear piercing) done to complete the look.
Yes, it's been well established for guys to have them for so long; and like you said historically it was widespread also. You're right that then - as maybe now also for some ppl - it was done just for 'completeness', I guess, in a sense.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Id rather not see an earring at all in a man.
@Mayflower : I know it took a while for you to get used to it on guys, but it's very widespread now, FYI:

Chellz84 said:
My husband has both his ears pierced. Where I live Hartford CT. It is extreamly common for a guy to have both his ears pierced. I've been working in the school system for 5yrs. And I can't tell you how many.. boys have both their ears pierced along with most Dads that come in.
forums dot thebump dot com

So you wouldn't stop a son doing it, would you, if he wanted to?