Ear piercing: for sons as well as for daughters: is it appropriate? (plus poll)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ear piercing: is it approrpriate for sons as well as for daughters?

• No, it's appropriate for neither sons nor daughters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm sure you enjoy being in a minority and doing your own thing!

Of course, Scripture has many examples of ear piercing/earrings for both genders!

True--but then, many of them also wore head coverings most or all of the time and went around barefoot or in sandals the year round. Doesn't mean I have to. (Might be a bit uncomfortable in this climate.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes--it was quite common in the Middle East.
I don't really see it as problematic for men as well as for women; leaving aside matters such as the bondservant imagery in Scripture, etc., in the end it to some extent boils down to subjective likes and dislikes; parents have perfect right to say yes or no to daughters or sons under 18 who want to have it done, but it's merely subjective and it's not problematic, I wouldn't have thought.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't wear them
I guess you never went through the phase of wanting holes put in? Fine! :)

These days it's boys and young men as well as their female counterparts who often go through a sort of rite of passage phase of wanting the holes put in, for the convenience of being able to wear rings/studs.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
He’s not just referring to a remnant in a near future, he’s referring to all Israel.
Seems that technically the reference is to Jerusalem.

The bottom line is that there are all sorts of reasons why earrings are worn, ear piercing is practised; and the contexts of the many Scripture passages helpfully referred to by @charity are rather varied also. It would seem that the Lord has used the existing practice in various passages to illustrate various truths; I hardly think the whole purpose of them being in Scripture would be for people to try to assert ideas such as: "You must wear earrings"/ "You must not wear earrings!". Scripture is far deeper and wide ranging than that sort of approach would suggest.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @farouk,

When I was young, in my early Christian experience, ear piercing was not viewed very favourably I remember: in fact any adornment was to be modest, and facial make-up was gilding the lilly and painting the rose. Ear piercing and tattooing was viewed as marring the body that God created.

Chris

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello @farouk,

When I was young, in my early Christian experience, ear piercing was not viewed very favourably I remember: in fact any adornment was to be modest, and facial make-up was gilding the lilly and painting the rose. Ear piercing and tattooing was viewed as marring the body that God created.

Chris
Interesting.
Come now to North America and probably most preachers' wives or at least many of them would not consider themselves fully dressed in church if their stud pairs were not inserted in their ears (and if no make up were applied; my wife doesn't consider herself dressed if goes out without putting on her face); and where we go to church it's not unusual if young men happen to have them in their ears also. I don't find it problematic for either gender, do you?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting.
Come now to North America and probably most preachers' wives or at least many of them would not consider themselves fully dressed in church if their stud pairs were not inserted in their ears (and if no make up were applied; my wife doesn't consider herself dressed if goes out without putting on her face); and where we go to church it's not unusual if young men happen to have them in their ears also. I don't find it problematic for either gender, do you?
Hello again, @farouk,

It is no concern of mine if either gender choose to wear earrings, gain tattoos or wear make up. It is all of the flesh and has no enduring consequence. Although the Holy Spirit may bring under conviction those whose mind is stayed upon things above where their citizenship lies, and where Christ sits at God's right hand, regarding this outward adorning, especially in the light of such verses as,

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands;
that, if any obey not the word,
they also may without the word be won
by the conversation
(or manner of life) of the wives;
While they behold your chaste conversation
(manner of life) coupled with fear (or reverence).
Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair,
and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
But let it be the hidden man of the heart,
in that which is not corruptible,
even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit,
which is in the sight of God of great price.
For after this manner in the old time the holy women also,
who trusted in God,
adorned themselves,
being in subjection unto their own husbands: ... '

(1 Peter 3:1-5)

* This is a conviction that only the Holy Spirit can bring.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: amadeus and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... marring the body that God created.
@charity Seeing as ear piercing is referring to in some apparently positive contexts in the Bible, this former conclusion which you referred to would probably be viewed as rather far fetched today, don't you think?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Preacher4Truth On another thread you said:

Not into the earring thing for males. To me personally it seems to come with an attitude problem, cockiness, "thug" like stuff. Surely some don't have this, only going by what I've witnessed.

It might be so with some ppl; but I think you'll find that some very earnest Christian young men happen to wear earrings (and their character is the same on days when they do, and days when they don't, happen to have their ear studs inserted...:))