Ear piercing: for sons as well as for daughters: is it appropriate? (plus poll)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ear piercing: is it approrpriate for sons as well as for daughters?

• No, it's appropriate for neither sons nor daughters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@justbyfaith FYI, see above post #140; so why should earrings and ear piercing that carries a message be restricted to women? (as per recent discussion.) :)
I don't think it should be...however, if the culture is such that ear piercing is primarily a thing for women, we don't want to cross gender lines just to carry forth a message. Someone of the opposite gender can do it just as easily.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't think it should be...however, if the culture is such that ear piercing is primarily a thing for women, we don't want to cross gender lines just to carry forth a message. Someone of the opposite gender can do it just as easily.
Oh I agree.

And I hasten to add that I don't really think those 'shoulder hugger' earring in the photo are really suitable for men.

But as regards ear piercing (and maybe a lot of the more neutral, small earrings) both young women and young men can pierce their ears and it can look perfectly natural and straightforward if this is what they think suits them. So many do.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Are modern men trying to be more like women, slaves, pirates or gypsies? ;)
Actually I don't think that they are 'actively trying' anything of the sort.

One could ask, when young women pierce their ears (as nearly universally they do), what are they actively trying to be like? Nothing in particular, I would guess. It's merely a very widely observed custom.

Likewise with young men who do it; again, widely.

(If this makes sense?)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A male cousin of mine has worn an earring for decades; it's simply part of the way he looks. (Recently the happy father of a daughter given in marriage.)

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are a dear man, @farouk,

- Yes, the piercing of the ear in bond-service was a positive sign of the regard of the servant for his master.
- Yes, I have voted.

* I have Harry Nielson playing in the background as I type, the sun is shining,
all of the 'granny's bonnets' in the garden are shining in the sun, and everything is mellow.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You are a dear man, @farouk,

- Yes, the piercing of the ear in bond-service was a positive sign of the regard of the servant for his master.
- Yes, I have voted.

* I have Harry Nielson playing in the background as I type, the sun is shining,
all of the 'granny's bonnets' in the garden are shining in the sun, and everything is mellow.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Yes, it's something positive.

(NB: Maybe it's just my screen, but your vote doesn't seem to come up on the poll responses above; whereas other ppl's somehow do in the '5 votes', '2 votes', etc. area...)

If young people want to have it done, then just let them have it done, I say.

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it's something positive.

(NB: Maybe it's just my screen, but your vote doesn't seem to come up on the poll responses above; whereas other ppl's somehow do in the '5 votes', '2 votes', etc. area...)

If young people want to have it done, then just let them have it done, I say.

'But the LORD said unto Samuel,
Look not on his countenance,
or on the height of his stature;
because I have refused him:
for the LORD seeth not as man seeth;
for man looketh on the outward appearance,
but the LORD looketh on the heart.'

(1 Samuel 16:7)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl FYI...so as per the above posts, would also agree that ear piercing is something positive?
I don't know about being a positive thing but it is an individual choice. My ears are pierced because I like wearing pretty earrings but I know Christian brothers in my church who had their ears pierced as a sign they belonged to Jesus,

“But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life” Exodus 21:5-6

We used to sing this in church, but we said 'heart' instead of door.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have or should say had both ears pierced about 30 years back. I was in a renaissance and medieval reenactment group ...
It’s cool if ya get one or cool if not . Not a issue here .
Did you consider putting the rings/studs in again? (if they would go in)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl FYI...so as per the above posts, would also agree that ear piercing is something positive?
It's a matter of taste. Most women have pierced ears these days and if men want an ear piercing too no probs.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have your ears pierced farouk?