Either You Believe, or You do Not!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eccl.12:13

Aug 28, 2010
Readers of God’s word have only TWO choices; either you believe ALL of God’s word, or NONE of it. It really is that simple. You cannot say, “Well… I believe this over here, but not that over there.” You cannot pick and choose which scriptures you will adhere to based upon what YOU believe or what you were taught.

When God said, “ …man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.”, in the OT, then confirmed it up by saying the same thing in the NT, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.”, He meant just what He said.

And if that were not enough He backed it up with the following, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”

God tells us that ALL scripture is to be used for doctrine, counsel, correction and instruction. With that said, let’s get on with the topic of this lesson; SIN!

What is SIN?

There are probably as many definitions for sin as there are people in the world. Some people believe that smoking is a sin. Some think that drinking is a sin. Then there are those that think listening to any music other than Christian music is a sin. There are even some that think going to a movie is sin. Boy am I glad I started reading God’s word for myself and not just the few passages of scripture my pastor read, because I was brought up in a church that believe ALL of the above, and more, is sin!

So are all the above a sin according to God? Let’s follow God’s instructions to find out;

For precept must be upon precept…line upon line…here a little, and there a little:

Study to shew thyself approved unto God….rightly dividing the word of truth.

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

make full proof of thy ministry.

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God.

God left man with all of the instructions needed for living. All of which, can be found in His holy word; the bible. And just as the scriptures said above, we are to use the WHOLE bible, Gen. through Rev., for doctrine, instruction and correction.

So, what is sin according to God? Let’s search God’s word to find the answer…

“Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God:” 3 John 1:11

“Abstain from all appearance of evil.” 1 Thessalonians 5:22

“Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.” 1 Corinthians 10:21

“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?” 2 Corinthians 6:14

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” Philippians 4:8

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.” 1 John 5:21

Now all of the above are good scriptures for man to live by but none of them tells us what sin is. Let’s search more of God‘s word…..

“ An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.” Prov.21:4

“ The thought of foolishness is sin:” Prov 24:9

“ And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for

whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” Rom.14:23

“ Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is

sin
.”James.4:17

“ All unrighteousness is sin:” 1 John 5:17

Again we have a few close definitions of what sin is but even these scriptures are vague. How are we to know for a surety what is righteous or what is unrighteous? How are we to know for certain what God considers good and what He deems is bad? Would God leave it up to man to decide what should be considered good and bad? Would a perfect God let corruptible man determine what is righteous and what is unrighteous? Of course not. Let’s read what God considers sin;

“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.” 1 John 3:4​
Finally, a clear and simple definition of sin. It is the ONLY definition of sin found in the bible. “For sin is the transgression/breaking of the law.” And it is not just any law that is being broken. When we sin we are breaking the laws of the almighty God.

Now this is where the title of this lesson comes into play. Either you BELIEVE the definition given or you do NOT! There is no in-between. IF WE SIN WE ARE BREAKING THE LAWS OF GOD!

Now that we know what sin is, let’s search God’s word to find WHO has sinned/transgressed/broken the laws of God.

So is your faith yet strong concerning God’s definition of SIN? Do you believe or not?

Who Has SINNED?

We just learned above, what God considers sin to be. Whoever transgress, or breaks His laws, is a sinner and has sinned against Him. Now the scriptures below are very clear as to who has sinned against God. But there are some that, although they frequently quote the scriptures I am about to list, still insist that that cannot be the case throughout the bible. In other words, they acknowledge who has sinned, but they do not believe the definition applies in all cases. Let’s let God’s word tell us who has transgressed, broken, or sinned against Him.

“For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Eccl. 7:20

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” Rom.3:23

“ Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death

passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.” Rom.5:12

Can God’s words be any more clear on the subject? Is there any doubt in your mind that ALL have sinned against God?

Now let’s use common sense and the definitions God has given us to come to a conclusion. I know the conclusion I am about present will not be accepted by most, but remember, these are NOT my words, nor are they my definitions. These are the words of God, given to man, to be used for doctrine, instruction, correction and most important, to live by.

God says that, “Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.”

God also says that, “For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not., “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” and “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.”

Using sound doctrine, the Holy scriptures and God given common sense we can conclude the following; that ALL have broken God’s laws. And how did I come to this conclusion? It can be proved through God’s holy words.

We know that to sin is to transgress/break God’s laws; 1 John 3:4

We also know that ALL have sinned; Eccl. 7:20, Rom. 3:23, Rom. 5:12

Now if ALL have sinned, and to sin means to transgress/break God’s laws, then ALL have broken the laws of God. Whether people knew it or not ALL have broken God’s laws. Simple! Let’s now search for more scriptures to prove this further…..

Gen. 2
[15] And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
[16] And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
[17] But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

So God commanded Adam NOT to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It was a law the moment God spoke the commandment to Adam. So did Adam break God’s Law? Did Adam sin?

Gen. 3
[17] And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Unfortunately for us, Yes, Adam did sin. Now let’s confirm…

Rom.5

[14] Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Even though we find no place where God’s laws were written down, the scriptures still says that from Adam all the way to Moses man has broken God’s laws. So saying that God’s laws did not exist until they were given to Moses does NOT line up with what God’s words tells us. Let’s find others that have sinned against God.

Gen.4

[5] But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
[6] And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
[7] If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

And did Cain sin?

[8] And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

Yes! Cain did SIN! And not only Cain, but so did others, all BEFORE God‘s laws were written down and given to Moses. Let’s quickly read a few….

“And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;” Gen.18:20. The people of Sodom and Gomorrah SINNED!

“Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin?” Gen.20:9 King Abimelech knew that adultery was a SIN against the Most High God!

“And Jacob was wroth, and chode with Laban: and Jacob answered and said to Laban, What is my trespass? what is my sin, that thou hast so hotly pursued after me?” Gen.31:36

Laban THOUGHT Jacob SINNED, but it was really Rachel that SINNED! [19] “And Laban went to shear his sheep: and Rachel had stolen the images that were her father's.”

“And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me. But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” Gen.39:7-9 Joseph knew it was a SIN to sleep with another mans wife.

“And Pharaoh sent, and called for Moses and Aaron, and said unto them, I have sinned this time: the LORD is righteous, and I and my people are wicked. And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants.” Exod.9:27&34. Even the Pharaoh SINNED!

Above is just as small sample God has given us to show His words are true; to sin is to transgress God’s laws and ALL men has done so. God’s definition of sin and who has done so brings up yet another point. A point I know may not be accepted, but God’s words speak for themselves.

If sin is the breaking of God’s laws, and ALL of mankind has done so, then who were God’s laws for?

God’s laws were for ALL of mankind and NOT just Israel.

So, how is that belief in God’s definition He has given us for sin? Do you still believe?

Does Sin Still Exist?

If you asked most Christians the following question, “Do people still sin today?” I’m sure 99%, if not all of them, will say, “Why of course! People today still sin.”. But if you asked those same Christians the following, “Are we under the Law of God?”, I’m willing to bet that at least 98% will say, “Why no! We are no longer under the law, we are under Grace.”

Now given what we just read about sin, it’s definition and who has committed sin, would that last answer be truthful? Is it possible that man is no longer under ANY of the laws of God? Well…you are free to believe what you will, but guess what? You still have this little verse you have to deal with. You can ignore it if you like. But it’s not going to just go away. It’s part of God’s word and like we have already read, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.“ Let’s read it again and see if you still believe it!

“Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.” 1 John 3:4​
Now….do people still sin? Yes! We can say that without any reservations because God’s word says, “all have sinned.“ And since the above scripture is the ONLY definition we have of sin, what has to be true is that God’s laws are still being broken. There is no way you can get around the fact that ALL of God’s laws have NOT been nailed to His cross. Let’s read just a few more scriptures to prove this…

“(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.” Rom.5:13

So what is Paul saying here? Until the law, sin (the breaking of God’s laws) was in the world. But sin (the breaking of God’s laws) did not go away when there is no law.

Since sin is the breaking of God’s laws, and we know people still sin, what law is it that Paul says went away?

“What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.” Rom.7:7

Paul says by God’s laws he knows to covet is wrong. God’s law tells him what sin is.

Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.)” 1 Cor.6:18

Above Paul tells us of another sin man is not supposed to do; Fornication.

“Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:” Eph. 4:26

Again we are told NOT TO SIN!

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,” Heb.10:26

“And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen…For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.” Rev. 18:2-5

From Gen. to Rev. we have been told, over, and over, and over “DO NOT SIN”!

We have been told that to sin is to break God’s laws! And we have been told that ALL men have sinned!

Can there really be any doubt in any one’s mind that SIN is something God does not like? That SIN is the breaking of God’s laws? That ALL have SINNED, thus ALL have broken God’s laws. That SIN is yet in the world, meaning God still have laws that are to be obeyed and kept?

So….Either you Believe in God’s words or you do not? Sin is STILL the breaking of God’s Laws!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Readers of God’s word have only TWO choices; either you believe ALL of God’s word, or NONE of it. It really is that simple. You cannot say, “Well… I believe this over here, but not that over there.” You cannot pick and choose which scriptures you will adhere to based upon what YOU believe or what you were taught.

When God said, “ …man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.”, in the OT, then confirmed it up by saying the same thing in the NT, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.”, He meant just what He said.

And if that were not enough He backed it up with the following, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”

God tells us that ALL scripture is to be used for doctrine, counsel, correction and instruction. With that said, let’s get on with the topic of this lesson; SIN!

What is SIN?

There are probably as many definitions for sin as there are people in the world. Some people believe that smoking is a sin. Some think that drinking is a sin. Then there are those that think listening to any music other than Christian music is a sin. There are even some that think going to a movie is sin. Boy am I glad I started reading God’s word for myself and not just the few passages of scripture my pastor read, because I was brought up in a church that believe ALL of the above, and more, is sin!

So are all the above a sin according to God? Let’s follow God’s instructions to find out;

For precept must be upon precept…line upon line…here a little, and there a little:

Study to shew thyself approved unto God….rightly dividing the word of truth.

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

make full proof of thy ministry.

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God.

God left man with all of the instructions needed for living. All of which, can be found in His holy word; the bible. And just as the scriptures said above, we are to use the WHOLE bible, Gen. through Rev., for doctrine, instruction and correction.

So, what is sin according to God? Let’s search God’s word to find the answer…

“Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God:” 3 John 1:11

“Abstain from all appearance of evil.” 1 Thessalonians 5:22

“Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.” 1 Corinthians 10:21

“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?” 2 Corinthians 6:14

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” Philippians 4:8

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.” 1 John 5:21

Now all of the above are good scriptures for man to live by but none of them tells us what sin is. Let’s search more of God‘s word…..

“ An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.” Prov.21:4

“ The thought of foolishness is sin:” Prov 24:9

“ And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for

whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” Rom.14:23

“ Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is

sin
.”James.4:17

“ All unrighteousness is sin:” 1 John 5:17

Again we have a few close definitions of what sin is but even these scriptures are vague. How are we to know for a surety what is righteous or what is unrighteous? How are we to know for certain what God considers good and what He deems is bad? Would God leave it up to man to decide what should be considered good and bad? Would a perfect God let corruptible man determine what is righteous and what is unrighteous? Of course not. Let’s read what God considers sin;

Finally, a clear and simple definition of sin. It is the ONLY definition of sin found in the bible. “For sin is the transgression/breaking of the law.” And it is not just any law that is being broken. When we sin we are breaking the laws of the almighty God.

Now this is where the title of this lesson comes into play. Either you BELIEVE the definition given or you do NOT! There is no in-between. IF WE SIN WE ARE BREAKING THE LAWS OF GOD!

Now that we know what sin is, let’s search God’s word to find WHO has sinned/transgressed/broken the laws of God.

So is your faith yet strong concerning God’s definition of SIN? Do you believe or not?

Who Has SINNED?

We just learned above, what God considers sin to be. Whoever transgress, or breaks His laws, is a sinner and has sinned against Him. Now the scriptures below are very clear as to who has sinned against God. But there are some that, although they frequently quote the scriptures I am about to list, still insist that that cannot be the case throughout the bible. In other words, they acknowledge who has sinned, but they do not believe the definition applies in all cases. Let’s let God’s word tell us who has transgressed, broken, or sinned against Him.

“For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Eccl. 7:20

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” Rom.3:23

“ Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death

passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.” Rom.5:12

Can God’s words be any more clear on the subject? Is there any doubt in your mind that ALL have sinned against God?

Now let’s use common sense and the definitions God has given us to come to a conclusion. I know the conclusion I am about present will not be accepted by most, but remember, these are NOT my words, nor are they my definitions. These are the words of God, given to man, to be used for doctrine, instruction, correction and most important, to live by.

God says that, “Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.”

God also says that, “For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not., “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” and “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.”

Using sound doctrine, the Holy scriptures and God given common sense we can conclude the following; that ALL have broken God’s laws. And how did I come to this conclusion? It can be proved through God’s holy words.

We know that to sin is to transgress/break God’s laws; 1 John 3:4

We also know that ALL have sinned; Eccl. 7:20, Rom. 3:23, Rom. 5:12

Now if ALL have sinned, and to sin means to transgress/break God’s laws, then ALL have broken the laws of God. Whether people knew it or not ALL have broken God’s laws. Simple! Let’s now search for more scriptures to prove this further…..

Gen. 2
[15] And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
[16] And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
[17] But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

So God commanded Adam NOT to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It was a law the moment God spoke the commandment to Adam. So did Adam break God’s Law? Did Adam sin?

Gen. 3
[17] And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Unfortunately for us, Yes, Adam did sin. Now let’s confirm…

Rom.5

[14] Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Even though we find no place where God’s laws were written down, the scriptures still says that from Adam all the way to Moses man has broken God’s laws. So saying that God’s laws did not exist until they were given to Moses does NOT line up with what God’s words tells us. Let’s find others that have sinned against God.

Gen.4

[5] But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
[6] And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
[7] If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

And did Cain sin?

[8] And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

Yes! Cain did SIN! And not only Cain, but so did others, all BEFORE God‘s laws were written down and given to Moses. Let’s quickly read a few….

“And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;” Gen.18:20. The people of Sodom and Gomorrah SINNED!

“Then Abimelech called Abraham, and said unto him, What hast thou done unto us? and what have I offended thee, that thou hast brought on me and on my kingdom a great sin?” Gen.20:9 King Abimelech knew that adultery was a SIN against the Most High God!

“And Jacob was wroth, and chode with Laban: and Jacob answered and said to Laban, What is my trespass? what is my sin, that thou hast so hotly pursued after me?” Gen.31:36

Laban THOUGHT Jacob SINNED, but it was really Rachel that SINNED! [19] “And Laban went to shear his sheep: and Rachel had stolen the images that were her father's.”

“And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me. But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not what is with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; There is none greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” Gen.39:7-9 Joseph knew it was a SIN to sleep with another mans wife.

“And Pharaoh sent, and called for Moses and Aaron, and said unto them, I have sinned this time: the LORD is righteous, and I and my people are wicked. And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants.” Exod.9:27&34. Even the Pharaoh SINNED!

Above is just as small sample God has given us to show His words are true; to sin is to transgress God’s laws and ALL men has done so. God’s definition of sin and who has done so brings up yet another point. A point I know may not be accepted, but God’s words speak for themselves.

If sin is the breaking of God’s laws, and ALL of mankind has done so, then who were God’s laws for?

God’s laws were for ALL of mankind and NOT just Israel.

So, how is that belief in God’s definition He has given us for sin? Do you still believe?

Does Sin Still Exist?

If you asked most Christians the following question, “Do people still sin today?” I’m sure 99%, if not all of them, will say, “Why of course! People today still sin.”. But if you asked those same Christians the following, “Are we under the Law of God?”, I’m willing to bet that at least 98% will say, “Why no! We are no longer under the law, we are under Grace.”

Now given what we just read about sin, it’s definition and who has committed sin, would that last answer be truthful? Is it possible that man is no longer under ANY of the laws of God? Well…you are free to believe what you will, but guess what? You still have this little verse you have to deal with. You can ignore it if you like. But it’s not going to just go away. It’s part of God’s word and like we have already read, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.“ Let’s read it again and see if you still believe it!

Now….do people still sin? Yes! We can say that without any reservations because God’s word says, “all have sinned.“ And since the above scripture is the ONLY definition we have of sin, what has to be true is that God’s laws are still being broken. There is no way you can get around the fact that ALL of God’s laws have NOT been nailed to His cross. Let’s read just a few more scriptures to prove this…

“(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.” Rom.5:13

So what is Paul saying here? Until the law, sin (the breaking of God’s laws) was in the world. But sin (the breaking of God’s laws) did not go away when there is no law.

Since sin is the breaking of God’s laws, and we know people still sin, what law is it that Paul says went away?

“What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.” Rom.7:7

Paul says by God’s laws he knows to covet is wrong. God’s law tells him what sin is.

Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.)” 1 Cor.6:18

Above Paul tells us of another sin man is not supposed to do; Fornication.

“Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:” Eph. 4:26

Again we are told NOT TO SIN!

“For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,” Heb.10:26

“And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen…For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.” Rev. 18:2-5

From Gen. to Rev. we have been told, over, and over, and over “DO NOT SIN”!

We have been told that to sin is to break God’s laws! And we have been told that ALL men have sinned!

Can there really be any doubt in any one’s mind that SIN is something God does not like? That SIN is the breaking of God’s laws? That ALL have SINNED, thus ALL have broken God’s laws. That SIN is yet in the world, meaning God still have laws that are to be obeyed and kept?

So….Either you Believe in God’s words or you do not? Sin is STILL the breaking of God’s Laws!

(James 4: 17) “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.”

(1 John 5:17)Every kind of wrongdoing is sin, but not all sin is deadly.”

(1 John 3: 3 - 9) “Surely everyone who entertains this hope must purify himself, must try to be as pure as Christ. Any one who sins at all breaks the law, because to sin is to break the law. Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him. My children do not let anyone lead you astray; to live a holy life is to be holy just as He is holy; to lead a sinful life is to belong to the Devil, since the Devil was a sinner from the beginning. It was to undo all that the Devil has done that the Son of God appeared. No one who has been begotten by God sins: because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I think God's standard is higher than most of us realize. Anything we think/say/do outside the character of Christ and not in obedience and leading of the Spirit can be counted as sin. It is impossible to please God any other way, outside free-will loving obedience. Even after we receive the Holy Spirit we can discover how we are each a Farcry from Christ personally and collectively as the body of Christ. Something as simple-sounding as worry is a lack of trust in God for whatever is being worried about. But before we were bound by the law that none of us could obey, and now we are set free by the law we can actually obey. Now we can each visually see and tangibly feel progress as we become more and more like Christ. Through trials of faith and dependency in God, I start to realize "I can actually do this! (Or better; God has done this in me!)" As I am continually being transformed into the character of Christ by the Holy Spirit I am more able to fulfill what God requires of me; and I wouldn't have it any other way. We truly have overwhelming victory in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
[The Rich Young Man]
[16] And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” [17] And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” [18] He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, [19] Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
(Matthew 19:16-19 ESV)

As Christians we are given freedom in Christ, but that freedom does not give us free reign to commit sin against God. I disagree with you about the laws, as you know, but there are some things that are just crimes, sin against fellow man that will directly harm our relationship with God. As Martin just said, sin is not just an oopsie against God, it is grievous. That's why we so desperately need Christ, because law or no law, we would never be able to measure up to God's standard.

[The Great Commandment]
[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. [35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. [36] “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” [37] And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. [38] This is the great and first commandment. [39] And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. [40] On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”(Matthew 22:34-40 ESV)

This is such an important verse Ecc. Jesus is telling us that if we cannot love, both God and others, nothing else matters. If we get so caught up in the laws, in which rules to keep, which ones don't matter, and then start decreeing to others the same, we loose the opportunity to really love others and God. It becomes a numbers game...which one have I kept today, which one hasn't those people over there kept? Well, I'm better than them, I should tell them that they're sinning. Does God even come into that??

[What Defiles a Person]
[14] And he called the people to him again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: [15] There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.” [17] And when he had entered the house and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. [18] And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, [19] since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.) [20] And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. [21] For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, [22] coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. [23] All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”
(Mark 7:14-23 ESV)

Jesus is here directly dismissing what you've been trying to tell people. The dietary law is quiet obviously not in effect any more. You cannot say He is talking of something other than food, because He quite clearly talks about the digestive process!!
You cling to the old laws so tightly, and while you may do it for a good reason, you still miss the freedom that Christ gave us. Wrong actions for the right reason still end up wrong. How many things do you worry about, pride yourself about, point fingers at others about, when you should just be praising God? Loving Him and loving others?

[20] For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope [21] that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. [22] For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.
(Romans 8:20-22 ESV)

Until now. Jesus has claimed a wonderful victory for us. A freedom from the futility of everything that came before. Keeping rules that no longer apply...that sounds like futility to me! We are free from sin which still binds us and we are free from the futility of laws that we couldn't keep.

[13] For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. [14] For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
(Galatians 5:13-14 ESV)

We are saved through Jesus' love, and now we are called to love. We cannot be saved by our own keeping of the law...no one can be saved by the law. If we choose to live by the law, God will judge us by the law, and since you know very well that you can't keep it, I do wonder why you strive to.

[19] Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. [20] For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
(Romans 3:19-20 ESV)

No human will be justified in His sight by the law. That's quite clear. Only through Christ, what He did, on the cross, and what He has done within our hearts.

[15] They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them [16] on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.
(Romans 2:15-16 ESV)

This speaks of those who reject God. They have no excuse because God has inscribed upon their hearts what is right and what is wrong...their consciences tell them the whisperings of God. How much more, then, do those who love God, and have the Holy Spirit within them, can rely on that divine help to guide them in what is Holy and righteous to God, and what is sinful towards Him? Jesus and Paul tell us that we no longer need the old covenant, because we have the new one...it rests within our hearts and tells us to love others and to flee from sinful things.

[5] and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
(Romans 5:5 ESV)

[6] For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
(2 Corinthians 4:6 ESV)

[22] let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. [23] Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful.
(Hebrews 10:22-23 ESV)

I believe every word that scripture says is true and profitable. The differences between us is that you still hold to the old covenant, while I am rejoicing in the new one!

Aug 28, 2010
"...sin against fellow man ."

When God gave us His definition for sin it was NOT us sinning against man, it was against HIM. If you sin you are NOT breaking mans laws you are breaking God's laws, and as a result you break man's laws. Man did NOT come up with, thou shall not kill, murder, steal, lie, and commit adultry on his own. Man got his laws from GOD, not the other way around.

"The differences between us is that you still hold to the old covenant, while I am rejoicing in the new one!"

Let's read what your Dear Paul held on to. Let's see if he still kept AND told others to keep all of those same old laws he got from the OT....

Rom.7
[7] What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Sooooo.....do you think Paul kept THIS law?

1 Cor.5
[9] I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
[10] Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
[11] But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
[12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
[13] But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

And what about all of the above? Are these not laws that Paul advises to keep? And where did he receive them? From the OT!

1 Cor.6
[9] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
[10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
[11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Paul tells them that they USED to do these things. Why did they stop? What is wrong with such actions? Could it be that ALL of the above are sins? And sin is the breaking of God's laws?
Are these not the laws of God Paul is telling them about.

Col.3
[5] Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
[6] For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
[7] In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

Again Paul tells them that they USED to do the things he mentioned but he is telling them to stay away from such acts now. Is that not keeping God's laws? Is that not obeying?

1 Cor.6
[18] Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.

WAIT ONE SECOND!!! Please tell me this is not the great Paul telling some to keep a law of God? I thought they were nailed to His cross!!

Eph.4
[25] Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
[26] Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
[27] Neither give place to the devil.
[28] Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
[29] Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
[30] And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
[31] Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

Where on earth did Paul get such information? Let's hear it from Paul himself.....

Acts 24
[14] But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets.

Wait a minute, did Paul just say he believed ALL things written in the LAW and in the prophets? And where would Paul go to find what was written in the Law?

In the OT! Where else!

Let's look at one more place. Let's read what advice Paul gave to Timothy....

2 Tim.3
[14] But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Now we know the NT was not a complete book until at least 70 - 100ad. So what did Paul tell Timothy to study for salvation? The ONLY bible available to him.....the OT! And what was contained in the OT that Timothy read? ALL of the LAW that Paul, above, said he believed in.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
When God gave us His definition for sin it was NOT us sinning against man, it was against HIM. If you sin you are NOT breaking mans laws you are breaking God's laws, and as a result you break man's laws. Man did NOT come up with, thou shall not kill, murder, steal, lie, and commit adultry on his own. Man got his laws from GOD, not the other way around.

Ah, yeah. I said that. Sin is against God. But being sinful people, that means that sin invades our lives and our relationships. Sin is rampant and we, without a doubt, do sin against our fellow man. I never claimed that man came up with those laws on his own, so am wondering why you are accusing me of it .

Let's read what your Dear Paul held on to. Let's see if he still kept AND told others to keep all of those same old laws he got from the OT....
Rom.7
[7] What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Sooooo.....do you think Paul kept THIS law?

1 Cor.5
[9] I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
[10] Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
[11] But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
[12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
[13] But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

And what about all of the above? Are these not laws that Paul advises to keep? And where did he receive them? From the OT!

1 Cor.6
[9] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
[10] Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
[11] And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Paul tells them that they USED to do these things. Why did they stop? What is wrong with such actions? Could it be that ALL of the above are sins? And sin is the breaking of God's laws?
Are these not the laws of God Paul is telling them about.

Col.3
[5] Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
[6] For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
[7] In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

Again Paul tells them that they USED to do the things he mentioned but he is telling them to stay away from such acts now. Is that not keeping God's laws? Is that not obeying?

1 Cor.6
[18] Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.

WAIT ONE SECOND!!! Please tell me this is not the great Paul telling some to keep a law of God? I thought they were nailed to His cross!!

Eph.4
[25] Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
[26] Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
[27] Neither give place to the devil.
[28] Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
[29] Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
[30] And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
[31] Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

Where on earth did Paul get such information? Let's hear it from Paul himself.....

Acts 24
[14] But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets.

Wait a minute, did Paul just say he believed ALL things written in the LAW and in the prophets? And where would Paul go to find what was written in the Law?

In the OT! Where else!

Let's look at one more place. Let's read what advice Paul gave to Timothy....

2 Tim.3
[14] But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Now we know the NT was not a complete book until at least 70 - 100ad. So what did Paul tell Timothy to study for salvation? The ONLY bible available to him.....the OT! And what was contained in the OT that Timothy read? ALL of the LAW that Paul, above, said he believed in.

Ok, I'll try and keep this simple. The laws in the OT cover two basic things. 1, actions that are sinful. And 2, rituals that try to attone for those sins in Gods eyes.
So the killings, coveting, stealing, lying....quite obviously they are sinful actions, both then and now. As Christians we need to avoid them, and put anything within us tempted to do these to death. No arguement...it's sin, it's wrong.
But when Jesus died, in our place, for our sins, ushering in the new covenant, it replaced all those things the people and the priests used to do to try and regain their cleanliness. This means the big to the small things, the sacrificing of the lamb, to the things like eating certain foods to wearing the right kind of clothes.
Under Jesus' blood we are seen as righteous in God's eyes. There is nothing else that has to be or could be done. The old way didn't do the job anyway, so persisting in it after our freedom from sin has been won, is futile....there's no point.
Now, if you want to wear tassles and avoid pig, that's fine, that's your choice. But don't try and push it on others, and don't think, for one second, that by these actions of your you can supplement the work of the cross. You can't. When Jesus died He said "It is finished".

[Peace with God Through Faith]
[5:1] Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
(Romans 5:1 ESV)

[17] For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.
(Romans 5:17 ESV)

[20] Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, [21] so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
(Romans 5:20-21 ESV)

[14] For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.
(Romans 6:14 ESV)

[Released from the Law]
[7:1] Or do you not know, brothers—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives?
(Romans 7:1 ESV)

[4] Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.
(Romans 7:4 ESV)

[6] But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.
(Romans 7:6 ESV)

Aug 28, 2010
Under Jesus' blood we are seen as righteous in God's eyes. There is nothing else that has to be or could be done. The old way didn't do the job anyway,

And I will do my best to make this as simple as possible as well.

When Jesus died He replaced ONE law and ONE law only. Paul tells us what that one law was in Heb. 7 thru the 10 chapter.

In those chapters Paul speaks of ONE LAW only. And it was NOT God's dietary laws, nor His feast days.

Go ahead and read it for yourself and see if you can find if Paul speaks of any law other that God's Laws of the Levitical Preisthood/Animal Sacrifice.

That was the law that was added some 430 yrs after the Nation of Israel first went into Egypt! That was the law that HAD to be changed! NONE other!

That was the law that Paul speaks of that required "works" and "deeds".

And why did it have to change? Paul tells us! It's all there!

Lesson to come soon!

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
I think the point is that no one is ever saved by following any law. That by our sinful nature we are unable to follow the nature and character of God. What you are saying makes sense though. Through Christ we have the ability to follow His commandments, and since Christ is our new priest and is our ultimate sacrifice, the requirements of those particular laws were completed for us. The law that was carved on stone is now carved in our hearts. These laws of conscience will exist as long as our hearts are governed by our conscience. But what Christ did even rules over anything our consciences say against us.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
And I will do my best to make this as simple as possible as well.

When Jesus died He replaced ONE law and ONE law only. Paul tells us what that one law was in Heb. 7 thru the 10 chapter.

In those chapters Paul speaks of ONE LAW only. And it was NOT God's dietary laws, nor His feast days.

Go ahead and read it for yourself and see if you can find if Paul speaks of any law other that God's Laws of the Levitical Preisthood/Animal Sacrifice.

That was the law that was added some 430 yrs after the Nation of Israel first went into Egypt! That was the law that HAD to be changed! NONE other!

That was the law that Paul speaks of that required "works" and "deeds".

And why did it have to change? Paul tells us! It's all there!

Lesson to come soon!

[11] Now if perfection had been attainable through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need would there have been for another priest to arise after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one named after the order of Aaron? [12] For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.
(Hebrews 7:12 ESV)

[18] For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness [19] (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.
(Hebrews 7:18-19 ESV)

[22] This makes Jesus the guarantor of a better covenant.
(Hebrews 7:22 ESV)

[28] For the law appoints men in their weakness as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came later than the law, appoints a Son who has been made perfect forever.
(Hebrews 7:28 ESV)

[6] But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. [7] For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second.
(Hebrews 8:6-7 ESV)

[8] For he finds fault with them when he says:
“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord,
when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah,
[9] not like the covenant that I made with their fathers
on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt.
For they did not continue in my covenant,
and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord.
(Hebrews 8:8-9 ESV)

[13] In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
(Hebrews 8:13 ESV)

[15] Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.
(Hebrews 9:15 ESV)

[10] And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
(Hebrews 10:10 ESV)

You know, none of this passage speaks of just one law passing. It talks of a whole covenant passing. So if you can pull out a verse that proves that the whole old covenant is in actuality only one law, well, then I may listen to you....but only maybe, because quite frankly the above passages only strengthen my beliefs that the New Covenant has completely superseded the Old one.