English translations of the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People become angry if they feel that their bank account has been altered by just a few dollars, yet say nothing when the Bible has been tampered with. Jesus used an illustration to show how the religious leaders of his day, the Pharisees, Sadducees, and scribes, allowed gross spiritual uncleanness while finding fault with minor things, saying:"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you give the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but you have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness....Blind guides, who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel !"(Matt 23:23, 24)

Hence, many give little consideration to Bible accuracy, but rather are content with just the Bible they may have grown accustomed to, whether or not it is accurate. These feel that if it was ' good enough for my parents or grandparents, then it is good enough for me'. It's like using a 100 year old map to navigate in a modern city today. Will they become lost ? Most likely.

Few examine the Bible without bias, having a pre-formed opinion or viewpoint. These allow the churches or what is "orthodox" to be their guide. When Jesus was walking the territory of Israel, most of the Jews followed what the religious leaders taught, without giving much thought to what the Hebrew Scriptures (commonly called the Old Testament) really taught. Today, most care little about God's name of Jehovah, though it is in the original Hebrew and Greek over 7000 times. And if a person thinks that God is not offended for his name having been supplanted by "Lord" or "God" in a great number of Bibles, these are sadly mistaken. Through Isaiah, he says: "Look! I shall raise up my hand even to the nations,....and you will have to know that I am Jehovah, of whom those hoping in me will not be ashamed.”(Isa 49:22, 23)

Likewise today, few examine the Bible on a level or par that goes below the surface, failing to inspect various sources such as interlinears, reference works, Hebrew and Greek word dictionaries, such as a concordance or lexicon, allowing evidence that comes to light to provide a basis for their understanding of the Bible, rather than what is the commonly accepted view. These do not permit the Bible to "speak for itself", but rather impose the ordinary view or "orthodox" belief. Most never do any sort of "homework" on the Bible, digging down deep as when looking for gold or diamonds.(Prov 2:4)

Jesus said that those who want to know the "truth" of the Bible, has to "keep on asking, and it will be given you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you."(Matt 7:7, New World Translation) As a side note, the King James Bible does not convey the thought of continuous action that the original Greek does, but rather of just "ask...seek....knock." It makes it appear that one time will suffice. However, Jesus does not agree with that viewpoint. The online interlinear, Scripture4all, reads: "be-requesting....be-seeking....be-knocking", continuous action, not a one time deal.

Hence, how important is accuracy, especially in relation to the Bible ? Jesus said it succinctly that God's word is "hidden...from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes."(Matt 11:25) Only those humble enough to set aside prejudicial views, with a desire to learn what the Bible accurately teaches, will find "even the deep things of God."(1 Cor 2:10)

sniper762

Sep 5, 2007
Get a Concordance and figure it out yourself.

Why are you a member of this forum?

i am a christian who enjoys discussing biblical subjects with my fellow christians. isnt that what this board is for?
i have been here for a while and this bboard has proven to be a positive asset to my study of christianity.
may i ask you? why are you here? am ii missing something?

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
1. The noun aion does not always mean an indeterminate period of time, especially when used in an idiomatic expression.

2. The adjective "aionios" always means "everlasting" or "perpetual." Don't make the mistake of thinking that the adjectival form of a word means exactly the same as its nominal cognate.

I already addressed this, complete with lexical references. Where are your sources? And I don't mean a website whose owner has no formal Greek training. I mean textbook references written by scholars in their field as I have provided.

Once again, Matthew 25:46 clearly stands against your assertions. If the "punishment" mentioned in that verse isn't everlasting, then neither is "life."

Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
Simple question here, nomad. Is there any language you know of, or any grammar rules you can supply to me, where the adjective form of a noun takes on a larger form of that noun it modifies? In the English language I am accustomed to, an adjective never exceeds the quantity or quality of the noun it modifies. Adjectives never exceed the value of their root...

I have had a good deal of exposure to the Greek vocab, and I have not seen this take place anywhere, especially in the Holy Writings. Would the God Who establishes and upholds natural and supernatural law disregard the laws of grammar in this one instance only (i.e., aion), and for what reason would He do that to us?

Just a grammar question, that's all.
fivesense

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
i am a christian who enjoys discussing biblical subjects with my fellow christians. isnt that what this board is for?
i have been here for a while and this bboard has proven to be a positive asset to my study of christianity.
may i ask you? why are you here? am ii missing something?

Actually, I have been asking myself the same question.

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
Hi all,First, I ask that you receive what I have to say with grace and mercy because I know I am not a perfect person and I am in no way trying to tell others what and what not to believe... this is simply something I am struggling with at the present time.I am becoming sceptical of English Bible translations. I believe firmly that God's Word is infallible, however, I don't believe translations are infallible. I've never studied the Bible in its original language and now I'm starting to wonder if translations could be leading us away from the original intended meaning of scripture.I came across a book written by someone who, after studying parts of the Bible in Hebrew, came to the belief that hell will not be eternal. He brought up a lot of points on this, and one was the idea that some Hebrew words have been wrongly translated in English (he reckoned that in some places where the English word "eternal" has been used, the original Hebrew word actually meant a measurable amount of time). Now I haven't decided whether I believe this or not, but I have come to a place where I am questioning what is right. I believe in God and Jesus and I love Him very much, but I am worried that I am being mislead by "mainstream" Christianity. The early churches did not preach the idea of an eternal hell - and my pastor at church even confirmed this when I asked him about it. Has anyone else struggled with this kind of thing before? Do you think it's worth buying a Hebrew concordance? Again I wish to stress that I'm not trying to blaspheme or anything, I am just searching to find what is right and good in a world that is just so confusing with all its different ideas and interpretations of things..

I am thinking about how the name Jesus Christ came. Though I believe in the Son of GOD THE ALMIGHTY FATHER.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I think its good if you've got the skills to look at the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic texts of the criptures. The problem is that in order to udnerstand them you ahve to put them in mdoern English in your own mind unless your that good that you can think in those languages, if that maskes sense. I've been told that Hebrew hasn't changed too much in the last couple of hundred years butGreek has changed a bit and I don't know about Aramaic. I've translated things from the Latin Vulgate into English but I couldn't say just how accurately the Vulgate is in relation to the original languages of the scriptures. One thing you can say about the vulgate though is that nothing has changed in it over the centuries.

I like the King James, but with the antiquated language I find it a little awkward at times, so I prefer to use a Gideons are a Good Knews Bible.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Wow... a bit out of line don't you think, Jerry? I've noticed you seem to like attacking people Jerry and I must ask you... does this seem very christian to you?

When people ask questions just to start a fight I will call them on it. When people ask the same question over and over I will eventually tell them to find the answer themselves.

What did God call the 'men' that where trying to council Job?