Ephod and the Breastplate of Judgment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The order of tribes on the Ephod is in order of birth, and that of the Breastplate of Judgment is not; it ends up in the marching order. In other words Judah is now first after judgment on Aaron's heart.

(Exodus 28:8-10) To start with the 12 tribes worn on the Ephods were placed in order of birth.

Rueben
Simeon
Levi
Judah
Dan
Naphtali
Gad
Asher
Issachar
Zebulon
Joseph
Benjamin

(Exodus 28:29) On the Breastplate of Judgment they are changed in order which are 10 full tribes and two half tribes; Joseph died and the tribe of Levi were priests and led the march by 2000 cubits and were not numbered with tribes of Israel.

Judah
Issachar
Zebulun
Rueben
Simeon
Gad
Ephrain
Manasseh
Benjamin
Dan
Asher
Naphtali

Below are some facts to help in any study you might want to do on this subject.

Joseph had died and that left the half tribe of Mannasseh, Joseph's eldest, and the half tribe of Ephraim (Gen. 46:40)

Also the tribe of Levi was not numbered with the tribes of Israel. (Joshua 3:3-4) When the Levites carried the "Ark of the Covenant," they led the march by 2000 cubits or around 3000 ft.

(Numbers Chap. 2) When Israel were camped the tribes of:

Judah, Issachar, and Zebulun were on the east
Rueben, Simeon, and Gad were on the south
Ephrain, Mannasseh, and Benjamin were on the west
Dan, Asher, and Naptali were on the north
Levi was camped in the middle

(Numbers 10:14-27) The camping order above was also their marching order.

A question was asked - From this you deduce/infer the possibility that it reflects a change in reward after the judgment fires of G-d have burnt away our dross on our arrival into His Presence. Could we say that after being judged by God we come out with different rewards?

Response - I can't say that Joseph's death was judgment, but the marching order was. When you put your leaders bearing their standards, there is honor in that. In the following verses we see a hint at that.

Exodus 28:29: "And Aaron shall bear the names of the children of Israel in the breastplate of judgment upon his heart, when he goeth in unto the holy place, for a memorial before the LORD continually."

Exodus 28:30: "And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron's heart, when he goeth in before the LORD: and Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the LORD continually."

Judgment doesn't always have to do with annihilation or chastisement; it can be as simple as obtaining God's best. God judges the churches in much the same manner in Revelation Chapters 2 and 3. Jesus finds fault with some and commends others. On the Breastplate of Judgment we see the ones judged to obtain that more prominent place.

I believe our reward in heaven will be according to our present walk with the Lord also.

In Jesus' name - larry2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Exodus 28:29) On the Breastplate of Judgment they are changed in order which are 10 full tribes and two half tribes; Joseph died and the tribe of Levi were priests and led the march by 2000 cubits and were not numbered with tribes of Israel.

Judah
Issachar
Zebulun
Rueben
Simeon
Gad
Ephrain
Manasseh
Benjamin
Dan
Asher
Naphtali

Below are some facts to help in any study you might want to do on this subject.

Joseph had died and that left the half tribe of Mannasseh, Joseph's eldest, and the half tribe of Ephraim (Gen. 46:40)
Thank you friend for sharing these things with us. I would insert the following comments:

It was not so much that Joseph died as it was that he pleased God and was given a double portion in terms of inheritance. His two sons received the same 1/12 portion of Jacob's worldly goods as each of the other brothers or a total of 2/12 or 1/6.

"But he shall acknowledge the son of the hated for the firstborn, by giving him a double portion of all that he hath: for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is his." Deut 21:17

Reuben who was the natural first born son of Jacob lost his double portion because he displeased God by defiling his father house by sleeping with one of his father concubines:

"Reuben, thou art my firstborn, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power:
Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel; because thou wentest up to thy father's bed; then defiledst thou it: he went
up to my couch." Gen 49:3-4

Here we read where Jacob actually designated these two as sons rather than grandsons:

"And said unto me, Behold, I will make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, and I will make of thee a multitude of people; and will give this land to thy seed after thee for an everlasting possession.
And now thy two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, which were born unto thee in the land of Egypt before I came unto thee into Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine." Gen 48:4-5

We see this special double portion idea also in Elisha request of the prophet Elijah as a spiritual blessing:

"And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.
And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so. II Kings 2:9-10

Of course, Elisha did see Elijah taken away and received the double portion.

In the NT we see it described as a double honor:

"Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine." Titus 5:17

Reactions: larry2

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine." Titus 5:17
Amen.
2 Co 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ (this is not the great white throne judgment); that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

Will we appear before some later chastening or other reprehend for the things done in our spiritual walk? NO! Rev 22:12, and, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me , to give every man according as his work shall be.

1 Pet 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God . . Revelation chapters two and three reveal that judgment that is occurring today.

Reactions: amadeus