Evil From God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrorized him. Saul’s servants then said to him, “Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you. Let our lord now command your servants who are before you. Let them seek a man who is a skillful player on the harp; and it shall come about when the evil spirit from God is on you, that he shall play the harp with his hand, and you will be well.” (NASB) 1 Samuel 16:14-16

This occurred because King Saul had sinned and his throne was going to be removed from him. Once again we see that the evil angels were used by God to accomplish His will. On this occasion they were used to discipline Saul for the lie he told in 1 Samuel 15:17-26.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrorized him. Saul’s servants then said to him, “Behold now, an evil spirit from God is terrorizing you. Let our lord now command your servants who are before you. Let them seek a man who is a skillful player on the harp; and it shall come about when the evil spirit from God is on you, that he shall play the harp with his hand, and you will be well.” (NASB) 1 Samuel 16:14-16

This occurred because King Saul had sinned and his throne was going to be removed from him. Once again we see that the evil angels were used by God to accomplish His will. On this occasion they were used to discipline Saul for the lie he told in 1 Samuel 15:17-26.
Psalm 78:49
49He unleashed His fury against them,

wrath, indignation, and calamity—

a band of destroying angels.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean?
Well, God loves us all in many ways. He provides for us. Rain falls on the ungodly too. But he hates sin and so there will come a time when He will judge sinners. That would mean He stops living them at that point. This can be applied to each individual as well. "There us one life, one death and then the Judgment." He gives life and takes it away according to His purpose. There will be a period of judgment before the Millennial Kingdom and then after, the The Great White Throne Judgment.
There have been many periods of judgment against individuals, tribes, nations... As in the days of Noah, so shall it be in the days of the Coming of Jesus ... that Great Tribulation will be on the entire planet. I believe this pandemic has been the "beginning of sorrows" spoken of in Matthew 24 and possibly the Rider on the White Horse (Antichrist) has delivered the "crown" he was given and with this crown (coronvirus), went out to conquer the world.
I think the time is soon.

Reactions: Truman

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, God loves us all in many ways. He provides for us. Rain falls on the ungodly too. But he hates sin and so there will come a time when He will judge sinners. That would mean He stops living them at that point. This can be applied to each individual as well. "There us one life, one death and then the Judgment." He gives life and takes it away according to His purpose. There will be a period of judgment before the Millennial Kingdom and then after, the The Great White Throne Judgment.
There have been many periods of judgment against individuals, tribes, nations... As in the days of Noah, so shall it be in the days of the Coming of Jesus ... that Great Tribulation will be on the entire planet. I believe this pandemic has been the "beginning of sorrows" spoken of in Matthew 24 and possibly the Rider on the White Horse (Antichrist) has delivered the "crown" he was given and with this crown (coronvirus), went out to conquer the world.
I think the time is soon.

And for generations we have said, God is love.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm so glad to
Greetings, Wrangler!

Good question. If you look at the context, it doesn't suggest mental illness, it suggests depression. People make a great deal out of this passage, but in reality all it is likely talking about is that the Spirit of the Lord is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, etc. and if that Spirit leaves you, it will be replaced by a spirit of depression.

This is why translations like the NKJV render it this way:

14 But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and a distressing spirit from the Lord troubled him. 15 And Saul’s servants said to him, “Surely, a distressing spirit from God is troubling you. 16 Let our master now command your servants, who are before you, to seek out a man who is a skillful player on the harp. And it shall be that he will play it with his hand when the distressing spirit from God is upon you, and you shall be well.” 17 So Saul said to his servants, “Provide me now a man who can play well, and bring him to me.”

Music can relieve a distressed or depressed spirit. If a purely EVIL spirit had entered Saul, just playing music for him would have had little effect, any more than playing music for the man with a legion of demons who was living in a graveyard would have. When it comes to a truly evil spirit, it needs to be cast out.

Thus, the context favors the translation and interpretation given by the NKJV.
I believe that the reason David's music relieved Saul was because the music was anointed by God and pushed back the influence of the demon on the king. After a lifetime of struggling with depression, which, btw, runs in my family, I faced a huge struggle with it in 2018. In the end, I body-slammed an invisible person on the ground before I realized what I'd done. In hindsight, I see that I'd won the wrestling match with a familiar spirit, who was a person without a body. I haven't been depressed in over two years, for the first time in my life. Praise God, for it is He who gives us the victory through Jesus! :)

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a Psalm that says woe is from the LORD. I find a big contrast between Jesus saying ‘love your enemies’ with the LORD sending an evil spirit to Saul in 1 Samuel 16:14, 18:10, 19:9 (NSRV).

I’ve heard this metaphorically indicates Saul had mental illness but I’m not reading these verses as figurative. What do you make of this and how do you harmonize these verses with Jesus’ words?

what is this, you just trying to goat responses?

the Lord will watch the enemy burn in the lake of fire so on and so forth. so what. the thing you don't get is, in the Father's desire to bring in the faithful the gospel message has to be done without threat. the gospel messenger isn't here to contest the world, he's here to save as many as would be saved.

but since the Lord has used the world to reestablish the state of Israel note the 6 day war. Israel received all of the land they had before their destruction by Titus. though they have traded it off for so called peace. i do believe its still illegal by Israeli law for Jews to walk on the land the dome of the rock is on, yet its under Israeli territory.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what is this, you just trying to goat responses?

the Lord will watch the enemy burn in the lake of fire so on and so forth. so what. the thing you don't get is, in the Father's desire to bring in the faithful the gospel message has to be done without threat. the gospel messenger isn't here to contest the world, he's here to save as many as would be saved.

but since the Lord has used the world to reestablish the state of Israel note the 6 day war. Israel received all of the land they had before their destruction by Titus. though they have traded it off for so called peace. i do believe its still illegal by Israeli law for Jews to walk on the land the dome of the rock is on, yet its under Israeli territory.

Sorry, and with respect, have you read the bible?

"the Father's desire to bring in the faithful the gospel message has to be done without threat."

The bible message is , those who died in their sins burn in Hell for eternity. Those who are saved, don't.
Hell, is a threat.
God made Hell for Satan and his angels. Then opened it in the end times to receive fallen humans. Matthew 25.

Not only that, God tells us he knows the names of all who are his elect. The saved, chosen by him before this world, the garden, Adam, Eve, were created.
And everything that happens is God's will. Because all things are predestine, foreordained, by God.
According to his will, plan,purpose, and due to his zeal for his own glory. Revelation 4.

Certain humans are "vessels of wrath fitted for destruction" by God's will.

And it all began in the garden. Where Omniscient God who predestined all, did not have to plant a forbidden tree.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is a Psalm that says woe is from the LORD. I find a big contrast between Jesus saying ‘love your enemies’ with the LORD sending an evil spirit to Saul in 1 Samuel 16:14, 18:10, 19:9 (NSRV).

I’ve heard this metaphorically indicates Saul had mental illness but I’m not reading these verses as figurative. What do you make of this and how do you harmonize these verses with Jesus’ words?
They do not harmonise, they are in fact contradictory. The issue arises from how the Hebrews saw. They believed everything good and bad came from God. They did not have the concept of Satan as we do today. Satan to them was as we would see a public prosecutor...one who was neither good nor bad but whose role was to bring out the truth. (as in the beginning of Job)
Jesus didn't share that view, he clarified the understanding that Satan was an enemy. The understanding we have today is because of Jesus words about Satan, not because the Old Testament explained it.

There are no doubt questions as there are more things to say about this, but let's see how this bit of information is received.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, and with respect, have you read the bible?

"the Father's desire to bring in the faithful the gospel message has to be done without threat."

The bible message is , those who died in their sins burn in Hell for eternity. Those who are saved, don't.
Hell, is a threat.
God made Hell for Satan and his angels. Then opened it in the end times to receive fallen humans. Matthew 25.

Not only that, God tells us he knows the names of all who are his elect. The saved, chosen by him before this world, the garden, Adam, Eve, were created.
And everything that happens is God's will. Because all things are predestine, foreordained, by God.
According to his will, plan,purpose, and due to his zeal for his own glory. Revelation 4.

Certain humans are "vessels of wrath fitted for destruction" by God's will.

And it all began in the garden. Where Omniscient God who predestined all, did not have to plant a forbidden tree.

you really don't get it do you?

hell isn't a threat its a eventuality that really doesn't matter to those who care for this life and what's in it. such as power influence and money that allows one to do what they want without impunity.

back in the day the Lord God of Israel would destroy those who would keep Israel from its appointed rounds such as moving in on the promised land, or leaving Egypt or even the same God wiped out all flesh that toke air except for the chosen in Noah's ark. or King David's 10,000's or the battels of the Maccabees.

according to Moses and reiterated by Paul the God of Israel is a consuming fire.

if you want to your god to be sugar and spice and everything nice with unicorns, have at it, but that's not the Lord God of Israel of which Jesus says He is the Son of. again it an ambassador's strategy or policy to refrain from doing anything as though its your own country. because its not the born again's world, the born again's world is the Kingdom of Heaven of which the born again are to offer the salvation in Christ to anyone they can without offence, if posable. because you could be talking to another Saul who was persecuting Christians on his way to Damascus. you don't know who the faithful are, God does.

world leaders and powers don't like anything in their world they can't control, and they will get hostile, and the early Christian's lack of hostile response showed over time that leaders and the like were not threatened by this new message in the world from what is declared the King of Kings and Lord of Lord's.

guys like pilot really didn't care one way or another about people like Jesus, all he cared about was whether he was some sort of threat to him or what he was responsible for. if you notice, he kept asking Jesus if He was King of the Jews or not, because that would or could be a problem for him.

Last edited:

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you really don't get it do you?

hell isn't a threat its a eventuality that really doesn't matter to those who care for this life and what's in it. such as power influenMy ce and money that allows one to do what they want without impunity.

back in the day the Lord God of Israel would destroy those who would keep Israel from its appointed rounds such as moving in on the promised land, or leaving Egypt or even the same God wiped out all flesh that toke air except for the chosen in Noah's ark. or King David's 10,000's or the battels of the Maccabees.

according to Moses and reiterated by Paul the God of Israel is a consuming fire.

if you want to your god to be sugar and spice and everything nice with unicorns, have at it, but that's not the Lord God of Israel of which Jesus says He is the Son of. again it an ambassador's strategy or policy to refrain from doing anything as though its your own country. because its not the born again's world, the born again's world is the Kingdom of Heaven of which the born again are to offer the salvation in Christ to anyone they can without offence, if posable. because you could be talking to another Saul who was persecuting Christians on his way to Damascus. you don't know who the faithful are, God does.

world leaders and powers don't like anything in their world they can't control, and they will get hostile, and the early Christian's lack of hostile response showed over time that leaders and the like were not threatened by this new message in the world from what is declared the King of Kings and Lord of Lord's.

guys like pilot really didn't care one way or another about people like Jesus, all he cared about was whether he was some sort of threat to him or what he was responsible for. if you notice, he kept asking Jesus if He was King of the Jews or not, because that would or could be a problem for him.
My, lower case g god?

My God is the God of the Christian bible.

And FYI, this area is for his faithful only.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My, lower case g god?

My God is the God of the Christian bible.

And FYI, this area is for his faithful only.

the scripture is a collection of books known as the bible that is written by Jews, the OT is strictly Hebrew (not Christian) in that sense, and the NT is also written by Jews. the bible is what Christians use, but its a Jewish documentation of their relationship between them and the Lord God of Israel, written by Jews to Jews for Jews unless specified in the text itself that its written to Gentiles or a specific gentile or gentiles.

and yes it can be used for instruction, and the proving of doctrine.

sorry but your postings presents a skewed view or understanding of the Creator and Judge the God of Israel. that seems to adopt what one likes and disregard what one don't like. and that would be a god in one's own likeness and image according to one's own judgement of what they think their god ought to be, hence the "g".

and if you are faithful to your own image of a god then according to you how can you be in the right place? anyone can be faithful to anything.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the scripture is a collection of books known as the bible that is written by Jews, the OT is strictly Hebrew (not Christian) in that sense, and the NT is also written by Jews. the bible is what Christians use, but its a Jewish documentation of their relationship between them and the Lord God of Israel, written by Jews to Jews for Jews unless specified in the text itself that its written to Gentiles or a specific gentile or gentiles.

and yes it can be used for instruction, and the proving of doctrine.

sorry but your postings presents a skewed view or understanding of the Creator and Judge the God of Israel. that seems to adopt what one likes and disregard what one don't like. and that would be a god in one's own likeness and image according to one's own judgement of what they think their god ought to be, hence the "g".

and if you are faithful to your own image of a god then according to you how can you be in the right place? anyone can be faithful to anything.
Thank you for showing me you are projecting your faults here. It saves time to not hope to reach your ignorance, or perhaps it is wilful blasphemy.
Whatever the issue, it is beyond my desire to correct it.

Hemlock

Apr 6, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"the NT is also written by Jews"

Excuse me - a good chunk of it was written by Luke - a Gentile - who wrote his gospel and Acts

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is justice sending a bears to destroy bratty children for making fun of a prophet on Sabbath?
Elisha and the Two Bears (2 Kings 2:23-25) | Bible.org
I was thinking of the boomerang effect.
You reap what you sow...
Two she bears wasn't it? maybe the kids got inbetween them and their cubs. They was too busy mocking they didn't see the danger.

2Ki 2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
2Ki 2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Some city folk not too wise about the country.
I know.. I grew up in the city. I had to learn the country the hard way.
Never get between a momma bear and her cubs.

God said, man has become as one of us, knowing good and evil.
Does God know the difference betwen right and wrong, of course.
And we need to learn it too, so we become like him.
But when we use evil as a tool, I believe God uses that tool as a bommerang,
and it comes back on your own head.
I don't believe God puts evil on anyone.

Jas 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

apparrently even little children can be tempted by their own lusts to ridicule old people.
And as they say.. what goes around comes around...

wonder why it was 42 children??
anywhoo..
good topic
Thank you
Hugs

Reactions: Amazed@grace

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking of the boomerang effect.
You reap what you sow...
Two she bears wasn't it? maybe the kids got inbetween them and their cubs. They was too busy mocking they didn't see the danger.

2Ki 2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
2Ki 2:24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Some city folk not too wise about the country.
I know.. I grew up in the city. I had to learn the country the hard way.
Never get between a momma bear and her cubs.

God said, man has become as one of us, knowing good and evil.
Does God know the difference betwen right and wrong, of course.
And we need to learn it too, so we become like him.
But when we use evil as a tool, I believe God uses that tool as a bommerang,
and it comes back on your own head.
I don't believe God puts evil on anyone.

Jas 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

apparrently even little children can be tempted by their own lusts to ridicule old people.
And as they say.. what goes around comes around...

wonder why it was 42 children??
anywhoo..
good topic
Thank you
Hugs
Yes, bears, two bears sent by God to rip apart 42 of the boys Elisha had cursed in God's name for making fun of him.

For me the first curious thing is like what you observed. Forty- two children? And the passage reads 42 of the boys were attacked by the bears. Which implies there were more than just 42 children present.

Secondly, where you see boomerang effect, I see the old sticks and stones adage.
A prophet of God bring teased and harassed by little kids is so insecure that he curses them in the name of the God he speaks for?
All those passages of wisdom in the OT that speak to how one should deal with bad behavior and hateful words, and there's Elisha cursing children in the name of God. And God responded sending bears to maul 42 boy children. And what's Elisha do?
He went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

About extreme I think.

Reactions: Ziggy