Except a man be born of WATER and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The blood of Jesus washes away sin, not water. If water could wash away sin, then there would have been no need for Jesus to have been born into the human race to eventually go to the Cross of Calvary.. Read my signature. Jesus fulfilled that Scripture on the Cross. It's the blood of Jesus!

Yes we did, and do need Jesus.
Not the blood only, but water and blood.
Let's take a look...

1 John 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

John 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

God remits sins at water baptism...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
When we are baptized in water, then we are born of WATER
No mental gymnastics required
If one is <<born of WATER>> that 'Water' has to have the POWER to have one <<born of WATER>>. Now you, tell us which 'water' has that Power? The water one is immersed in or sprinkled with when 'baptised' by men, or "I AM The Water of LIFE" who has the "Power" of Life and Death, The Word of GOD, "THE NAME" one is truly "born again" "OF" when "baptised IN THE NAME"?

Reactions: Candidus

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Let's take a look...

1 John 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

John 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

It's incredible... these expositories... Shows you what water-baptism has done for the chirch

Last edited:

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's take a look...

God Bless!

But, in John 3:5, Jesus did not refer to His blood, but WATER and the Spirit. It's clear WATER is the the Word of God. The thief on the cross was saved by WATER [the Word of God] and by the Spirit, by the shedding of Jesus' blood for the remission of sin, not by water baptism. Again, Jesus' blood washes away sin, not water; however, I do believe in water baptism AFTER one is truly born again by WATER and the Spirit.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did anyone EVERPROVE that the thief had not earlier in his life been immersed in Jesus' Name,
or is that just "assumed?" ....

Reactions: Nancy

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did anyone EVERPROVE that the thief had not earlier in his life been immersed in Jesus' Name,
or is that just "assumed?" ....
So you believe that that thief may have been converted, was water baptized, and the fruit of that is being crucified as a thief? - (highly unlikely) In Matthew 27:39-43, we see that those who passed by, along with the chief priests scribes and elders blasphemed, mocked and shook their heads at Jesus and EVEN THE ROBBERS WHO WERE CRUCIFIED WITH HIM REVILED HIM WITH THE SAME THING. More fruit?

I certainly don't see being crucified as a thief, blaspheming, mocking and shaking your head at Jesus as being the fruit of repentance/faith. Yet, moments later, we see that the thief had a "change of mind" (repentance) placed his faith in Christ for salvation and was saved (Luke 23:40-43). Of course, he died before having the opportunity to be water baptized.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe that that thief may have been converted, was water baptized, and the fruit of that is being crucified as a thief? -
Just how many (count them?) roman and protestant leaders and politicians murdered at times whole towns,
maybe whole countries?, men, women and children ?
See Voice of the Martyrs for accounts through most all the centuries...

Being baptized never indicated someone would not support hitler, did it, nor that they would not do as hitler directed, right ?

How many people today have proven true teachings in line and harmony with all Scripture, let alone tested and proven lives ?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure you all will probably think I'm nut's, and you would be kind of right lol :D j/k!
But, I believe when Jesus spoke to Nicodemus that He was speaking of the sac of amniotic fluid in the mothers womb, which consists of the water from the mothers body...once the child develops the the child's urine will become a part of that water so when Jesus says:

John 3:-21
3 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus[a] by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

Born of the flesh would be being born of water in my opinion, it seems clear to me after all these years of wondering about these verses. This is what I have come to see this "born of water" phrase. Also, baptizing is not even mentioned in any of these verses.

Also, Phillip baptized the eunuch in water after the eunuch believed but...I don't see much of a difference as long as one believes in their hearts...someone mentioned above about the thief on the cross and wondered if he had at one time before being crucified, been baptized in water for the remission of sins...good question.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, Phillip baptized the eunuch in water after the eunuch believed but...I don't see much of a difference as long as one believes in their hearts.
The difference was later, when those who 'claimed' to believe, did not get immersed....

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
likewise- those not baptised:
Luke 7:30 - Bible Gateway
www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Luke 7:30
but the P'rushim and the Torah-teachers, by not letting themselves be immersed by him, nullified for themselves God's plan. CEV But the Pharisees and the experts in the Law of Moses refused to obey God and be baptized by John.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 7:30
KJ21
But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized by him.
ASV
But the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected for themselves the counsel of God, being not baptized of him.
AMP
But the Pharisees and the lawyers [who were experts in the Mosaic Law] annulled and set aside God’s purpose for themselves, not having been baptized by John.
AMPC
But the Pharisees and the lawyers [of the Mosaic Law] annulled and rejected and brought to nothing God’s purpose concerning themselves, by [refusing and] not being baptized by him [John].

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PHILLIPS
“All the people, yes, even the tax-collectors, when they heard John, acknowledged God and were baptised by his baptism. But the Pharisees and the experts in the Law frustrated God’s purpose for them, for they refused John’s baptism.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the right and good side:

Luke 7:29-31 King James Version (KJV)

29 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.

30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

31 And the Lord said, Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?
King James Version (KJV)

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
First, the sinner needs to believe, then be baptized...

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

In other words: He that believeth and is baptized = shall be saved

Now as for water washing away sin...

Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Why do you still bother to quote "...wash away thy sins calling on the Name of the Lord" if "baptized" meant water "wash away thy sins"?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still on this same old argument without actually staying in the Scripture; can't believe this has lasted this long.

John 3:3-8
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

The Greek for "again" is anothen (no.509), which one of its definitions is 'from above'. From above where? In Ecclesiastes 12:5-7 we are told at death of our flesh, our flesh goes back to the earth where it came from, and our spirit goes back to God Who gave it. When we are born into the flesh, God places our spirit-soul into it while in the water of woman's womb. (Luke 1 shows the infant John the Baptist lept in his mother's womb at Mary's presence with being pregnant with our Lord Jesus.) This is actually covering two ideas, birth in the flesh through water of the womb, and rebirth of one's spirit by The Spirit.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?"

This is how Nicodemus understood what Lord Jesus was saying about being born again. It involves flesh birth, but also something rebirth of one's spirit by Spirit.

5 Jesus answered, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

There are New Testament examples of those who were baptized but did not yet receive The Holy Spirit (Acts 8:14-16). And then there are examples of some receiving The Holy Spirit without being baptized of water yet (Acts 10:44-47). So water baptism as the key to being 'born again' of The Spirit, that is not always the case per God's Word. And being born of The Spirit is a requirement per Paul (Romans 8:9).

Our spirit is NOT born of simple water. The water is not what makes our spirit regenerated by The Spirit. It is The Holy Spirit that must regenerate our spirit. Water baptism is only to represent that, but it's not some mystical property of water that does it; it is Spirit that makes our spirit born again.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit."
KJV

That which is born of the flesh is flesh. Simple. Our Lord Jesus is talking about our flesh body born in woman's womb. But that which is born of The Spirit is spirit, which that is about our spirit inside our flesh being regenerated by The Holy Spirit through Faith on Christ Jesus. For most I'd say, it happens with water baptism, but not always.

Verse 8 about the wind bloweth where it listeth, and thous hearest the sound, but you can't see where it comes from or where it goes, is about our spirit-soul being born in the flesh through woman's womb. Our spirit-soul does NOT originate from our flesh. It originates from GOD, just as it goes back to GOD at flesh death per Eccl.12. Same with our spirit being born again of The Spirit. We cannot see The Spirit doing the regeneration, but there will be signs of that regeneration through the servant in Christ revealing it.

(In the Apocrypha of 2 Esdras 7, there is a description of where the dead go and what happens at death. The Apocrypha, though a part of the original 1st edition 1611 King James Bible, are not canon books, but there still is some important info in some of them.)

Last edited:

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, in John 3:5, Jesus did not refer to His blood, but WATER and the Spirit. It's clear WATER is the the Word of God.

According to you, John 3:5 "water" means "the word of God".

You will forgive me if I don't take your word for that.
Let's open the word of God and find out what it means...

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water[G5204] and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

G5204
ὕδωρ / ὕδατος
hudōr / hudatos

Thayer Definition:
1) water
1a) of water in rivers, in fountains, in pools
1b) of the water of the deluge
1c) of water in any of the earth’s repositories
1d) of water as the primary element, out of and through which the world that was before the deluge, arose and was compacted
1e) of the waves of the sea
1f) fig. used of many peoples

I'm sorry, but water really means water.
God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning @Randy Kluth's contentions earlier on in this thread:

Cornelius was very likely the Centurion who encountered Jesus in Matthew 8:5-13; and therefore his righteousness was the righteousness of faith. This is consistent with the rest of holy scripture in light of your contention that he did good as an unbeliever. The answer is, he was not an unbeliever.

Furthermore, Romans 3:12 makes it clear that no one does good apart from salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.