explain to me why tattoo is bad. and why Pure Spirit is better than Mystic tattoo spirit. thanks.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
sorry there was many replies and i just skimmed over them. so are most of you saying tattoos are ok? or is it ok in certain instances?
well, they are socially acceptable now, and you are not bound by any law here, but i would personally avoid getting tattoos as a memorial to the dead, as is popular in some cultures. and you might examine why it is that you even want a tattoo.

You might also take an informal poll of those who have already gotten tattoos in the past, seems to me you are going to almost universally hear "you'll be sorry," which i personally can attest to that, but then you have already heard that one i guess. The Book counsels to do what you do from conviction, whatever it is, so imo do that

Reactions: amadeus

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You used scripture in a very intellectually dishonest way.

You quoted what came before and after Leviticus 20.
THAT had nothing to do with our BODY, the temple.
It had to do with other matters.
You were trying to say that since I listen to Leviticus 20, I should also listen to and follow what came before and after.

In this case, this was not true and was not to the point.
That's what I meant.
I believe you're referring to that.

I've noticed that some posters don't like to talk much.
I may not belong here!!! I love to talk.

I was considering the context. I am not the author of the text so I did not decide to put the verses together in this way.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry there was many replies and i just skimmed over them. so are most of you saying tattoos are ok? or is it ok in certain instances?

It all boils down to, what do you think would be acceptable to God and Savior, remember we are to have a free will, we will be alone before our Maker, so the choice is yours.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
7angels,

Sorry we didn’t come up with a consensus for you

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There does not seem to be any reference to tattoos in the bible accept that found in Leviticus 19:28 when God spoke to Moses about such things in regards to Israel. I personally think that if God didn't like it then...he probably hasn't changed his mind about it today. I think that there was more to this command than meets the eye and I would hazard to guess that the Pagan nations around them were practicing such things as a form of idolatry.

We know that Jesus was born under the law, to fulfill the law so I doubt that he would have had any. In my opinion, I would not consider having tattoos if I didn't have them prior to becoming a believer although some of my Christian friends have them. I guess it boils down to your own personal walk with God as Stan has suggested.

BB
God's concern in Leviticus over tatoos was about being different from the practices of the nations. The cuts were bloodlettings to foreign gods (demons) and tattoos weren't done for decorations, but "spiritual" reasons.
I don't have any tats, but my wife does. Whatever you make part of your body becomes a part of your testimony because it expresses something of the person that you want to be to anyone who sees it.
Given that, always be prepared to give a reason for the hope that is in you.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find it extremely ironic that Christians are so quick to point out the apparent insignificance of God's laws. They usually pick one of these laws such as the one mentioned or mixing of fibers in clothing as if this must be just some arbitrary law to keep Israel separate from other nations.

Perhaps a better question would be why one would choose to obey or believe in a capricious god who comes up with arbitrary laws.

When these laws are viewed in context, it is the law itself that is spotlighting the sin. The law was never a means of separating anyone from sin. It was the standard by which one judged sin. To do away with the standard is to do away with sin altogether, but of course this is just secular humanism or moral relativism by another name. Atheists love to make the claim that there is no such thing as objective morality. Some of them seem to have had a Christian background; now we know where they got this idea from. The incredible irony is to watch a Christian condemn this philosophy in an atheist, yet condone it in the church. Following the tenets of a capricious god tends to do that to people.
absurd.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a Jewish perspective, but the image of God is not about our physical nature: God is Spirit.
While you are correct on the one hand, do we suppose that God does not care at all about what we do with our physical bodies? Does not the whole of us belong to God? Are we not to be good stewards and therefore concerned with pleasing the Master/Owner? Because it is not spirit, should we starve the body of flesh to death?

Reactions: Helen

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm... :huh: I was not aware that the Judaic Jews practiced the art of praying for the dead?
Kaddish for mourning. The word means sanctification.
While you are correct on the one hand, do we suppose that God does not care at all about what we do with our physical bodies? Does not the whole of us belong to God? Are we not to be good stewards and therefore concerned with pleasing the Master/Owner? Because it is not spirit, should we starve the body of flesh to death?
read the rest. God cares about His testimony. The church is a spiritual house, these bodies are just tents, temporary habitations, bodies of death. The law promoted physical life, but eternal life is a gift of grace. God not only cares what we do with our bodies but uses them to do His will and isn't thwarted by our sin, but redeems us in spite of it.
Now, the Lord wants us to be Holy as He is Holy, but I can't imagine how a man could be such without God's presence. I can however imagine a man being willfully disobedient to God and grieving His Spirit as this is our old nature, that nature according to Adam. Is there a man other than Jesus that lives free of sin?

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see.
So if we don't want to create stumbling blocks, ANYTHING should be allowed?
One should realize that becoming Christian will have a price.
The early Christian's realized this.
Some were fed to Lions.
Some were burned.

What are you willing to do?
Anything?
the early gentile church was only required (by the leadership in Jerusalem) to abstain from sexual immorality and meats offered to idols. The modern church can't even live up to that standard. We have One standard who is the person of Jesus Christ, do you "look" like Him?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
read the rest. God cares about His testimony. The church is a spiritual house, these bodies are just tents, temporary habitations, bodies of death. The law promoted physical life, but eternal life is a gift of grace. God not only cares what we do with our bodies but uses them to do His will and isn't thwarted by our sin, but redeems us in spite of it.
So then we must do everything we can, [limited though it may be], to please Him, no? Just how limited are we?

Now, the Lord wants us to be Holy as He is Holy, but I can't imagine how a man could be such without God's presence.
And then God has given us His presence. People have it, but still they must ask for help to follow His lead. If they really ask every time they need it, will He not provide it?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

I can however imagine a man being willfully disobedient to God and grieving His Spirit as this is our old nature, that nature according to Adam. Is there a man other than Jesus that lives free of sin?

If there is not, is that our first carnal father's [Adam's] fault? In a sense, in a measure, but did not Jesus make for us the impossible, possible?

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It all boils down to, what do you think would be acceptable to God and Savior, remember we are to have a free will, we will be alone before our Maker, so the choice is yours.
Yes, but it needs to be a choice that doesn't defile the conscience and the conscience is informed by law. This goes to the issue of spiritual "weakness" or immaturity. I was raised to despise weakness, but that was worldly parental guidance and not really an option. We're called by the Apostle Paul to use self restraint with our liberty so as not to cause a brother to sin, but this is in the way of defilement of a brother's conscience, not our own. That's the way of love, making sacrifices for others, and its a royal commandment from the Lord's mouth to our ears. That's a tough one, but a cross to bare. I think that this is why some people have chosen lives of isolation and cloistering; less people to offend.
In the context of the church and church discipline, legalism always has to be addressed by church leadership and whatever we do which is not of faith is sin. How blessed to live a life of faith, how sad to be enslaved again by sin.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because we are entrusted with our portion of "Image and likeness of God" and it is not to be defaced with some graffiti of our own making.

Amen, I agree. I also think that If it were something Jesus promoted, it would have been written in his word and it is not. Only Leviticus 19:28 gives us any clues about tattoos and even there, he is speaking to a nation he has called to himself to be set apart from the nations around them. Are Christians also set apart or are they still following the ways of the world?
Whoever loves the ways of the world, cannot be a friend of God.
=========================================================
"Fifty years ago, you never heard of a divorce in the Christian church. You never (even) heard of marriage counseling in the church... We're putting up with sin in the church."
a Godly Preacher, Leonard Ravenhill, with many other Godly Ministers have noted this decline in morality,

the growing sin of selfishness, idolatry, self-promotion, self-centeredness, things of the flesh, rebellion (open not hidden) against God and His Word, lack of conscience, disobedience, (I think a longer list is in Timothy, and repeated some in Revelatoin, why people or which people that is are not found in heaven.)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Fifty years ago, you never heard of a divorce in the Christian church. You never (even) heard of marriage counseling in the church... We're putting up with sin in the church."
a Godly Preacher, Leonard Ravenhill, with many other Godly Ministers have noted this decline in morality,

the growing sin of selfishness, idolatry, self-promotion, self-centeredness, things of the flesh, rebellion (open not hidden) against God and His Word, lack of conscience, disobedience, (I think a longer list is in Timothy, and repeated some in Revelation, why people or which people that is are not found in heaven.)

More of your BS understandings of what happened around 50 years ago and how it should have been handled.

Couples within the church also had gun shot weddings, just like the rest of the population.

Divorce was not as common back then either, but the people who married back then also suffered from marriage break ups and also went to their respective divorce lawyers and separated.

People within the church also had liaisons with the other respective church member and hid their activities from each other, just like it occurs today.

There were homosexuals and paedophiles and many people suffering abuse and bullying. Pastors spent many hours caring for the well being of people, doing often unqualified counselling of their congregational members.

The way you present yourself as the judge, jury and executioner, I believe that you would have been collecting the stones necessary for King David's stoning because of his activities with Bathsheba which would mean that you would have broken the generational chronology of Christ over 900 years prior to his birth.

People who act like you do, are graciously tolerated within the church, but the congregational people would not really want you as one of their friend because of your often displayed judgemental attitudes.

Grow up and come to your senses before it is too late and you become what you do not want to be like.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Divorce was not as common back then either, but the people who married back then also suffered from marriage break ups and also went to their respective divorce lawyers and separated.
Aye, my father, who was a faithful follower of Christ all of his life married my mother in 1940 in Oklahoma City. Later during the war [USA 1941-1945] he received a notice advising that because of his job and his family he could claim an exemption to avoid being drafted. He never saw the notice. My mother, wanting a divorce without him being around to contest it, hid the notice until it was too late. He was drafted and sent to the Pacific in the US Army. Once he was gone, my mother, with me and my older brother [both toddlers at the time] went to Reno, NV and obtained a divorce which included custody of us and a small monthly child support payment.

My father was hurt and embarrassed about it. Many years later he finally told my wife [married in 1972] the story and she wife told me.

In spite of it my father remained faithful to God all of his life. My mother never attended church services at any time in my memory, but before her death in 2006 one of my younger half brothers, who still lived in her home, said that she started reading her Bible daily and had done so for several years. She was living in Oregon and I was already back in Oklahoma when she died.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
sin is still sin

Whose sin are you referring to, yours?

Luke 6:39-42: - 39 And He spoke a parable to them: "Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch? 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher. 41 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? 42 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother's eye.

Please learn the art of building people up rather than tearing them to pieces because the pearls that you are throwing out there to the dogs and the pigs will cause them to turn on you and begin to tear you to pieces.

But I also detect that you like being a martyr and will claim this title for your own justification.

BlessedCreator

Apr 15, 2020
Oregon
www.gffg.info
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God told the Israelites not to make the markings in their flesh because it would disfigure their bodies which were made in Hus own image also it was something gentiles did. God's people are to be holy and separate from the heathen world.

Both of these reasons to not get a tattoo or mark your flesh in other ways (scars/burnings etc.) are still valid today and how much more should this commandment stand being that we Christian have the Holy Ghost residing in us (if we obey God He is in us).

Reactions: Joseph77