Faith healings don't happen anymore; can you prove otherwise? (Either the age has passed or it has not)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote a book about this (I will post the link to the online book here) and somewhere in it I list the following verses...

1 Corinthians 2:5
That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power (dunamis) of God.

1 Corinthians 4:20
For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power. (dunamis)

Ephesians 1:19
And what is the exceeding greatness of his power (dunamis) to usward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, (kratos) [The Greek word "kratos" means the force of superior strength.]

Ephesians 3:16
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might (dunamis) by his spirit in the inner man;

Ephesians 3:20
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power (dunamis) that worketh in us,

Ephesians 6:10
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power (kratos) of his might.

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, (dunamis) according to his glorious power, (kratos)

2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, (dunamis) and of love, and of a sound mind.

2 Timothy 3:5
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power (dunamis) thereof: from such turn away.

Reactions: Shittim

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think anyone who has experienced miraculous healing,even by medical standards, know faith healing is real.

Are there those who don't experience that? Certainly. Just as there are those who don't make rent after asking in Jesus name.

Why would we labor to call Jesus a liar and claim there is something God cannot,will not,do?
Don’t you think it is a very clever way for the devil to exercise his power over someone who is a spiritual “babe”?....to lead them off on a false path with false expectations?

2 Cor 11:13-15...
Speaking of men who were “false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ”, he said....”And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing extraordinary if his ministers also keep disguising themselves as ministers of righteousness. But their end will be according to their works.”

Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his recurring stomach issues. (1 Tim 5:23)
Why didn’t he just cure him?

Paul himself had a “thorn in his flesh” which he did not identify, but it was obviously a physical problem that hindered him....and he asked God to take it away.....but he didn’t.
Why not ask one of the other apostles to cure him? (Gal 4:13; 2 Cor 12:7-8)

The healings performed in the first century were never done on baptized Christians....and some didn’t even know who Jesus was, but they had heard about his miracles.......The apostles were not to use the gifts on themselves, but only to show unbelievers that God’s power was now with the followers of Christ.
Those who believed because of the miracles, then became part of the Christian congregation. It was the beginning of their spiritual journey. But they needed to grow up and base their faith on more important qualities.

Can satan mimic the powers of the spirit.....apparently he can exercise power over humans who do not have the kind of faith that Paul spoke about.....the one based on “faith, hope and love”.......not the kind of faith that a spiritual “babe” needed to believe in God....to “see” in order to believe.

Because they had accomplished what God had sent them to do, the power to perform miracles ceased with the death of the apostles because they were the only ones who could pass the gifts on to others. The gifts of the spirit died with them, no longer necessary, and a demonstration of what could be expected in the coming Kingdom of God.....no more sickness suffering or death. (Rev 21:2-4)

That being the case, no one needs to wonder if the miracles still happen......they do not. That is not to say that God is not still answering prayers......but no matter how hard you pray for someone to live, or to get well, faith healing is not the means for that to happen. Death overtakes even the most faithful servant of God. Death for them is not the end of life, but the promise of a resurrection is assured if they stay faithful to the end.

Reactions: Cassandra

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The baptized Christians in the first century were able to get there own healing, receiving healing happened each Sunday as they took communion, if ill during the week they were to call upon the elders, hence that teaching in the NT.
Here is one teaching , and it worked for me and others who have put it into practice.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The baptized Christians in the first century were able to get there own healing, receiving healing happened each Sunday as they took communion, if ill during the week they were to call upon the elders, hence that teaching in the NT.
Anyone who knows someone who experienced a miraculous healing,even according to doctors who admit as much, know nay sayers are wrong.

Then again, there likely are cults who teach cessationist propaganda.

Being blasphemous cults they shall always be wrong,and doomed. The tragedy is the numbered damned they'll take with them. Believing lies to their very end. :(

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessedpeace,

Surely those things can happen, and it could be God who did it. Whether in good health or in sickness it is good to know in faith that God did indeed love you, and the world, enough to consider all of our being here on earth.

There is just no going up to a blind person and touch their eyes and say see, and they see. Or special tongue langauge that some people teach which is concerning how by the spirit on the day of pentacost, when it fell among them, each person spoke the other persons langauges and they could understand each other. Though this phase existed then when they materially spoke the same language by and through the holy spirit that was given to them in such a way, which was done orderly.

There is also an extra thing to mention that though that phase or age, when the lanague was being spoke - one today has to learn a new language and understand it in order to get the hang of it due to the holy spirit doesnt make that type of thing happen - however the flipside of it is that believers by the spirit can encourage other brothers and sisters and there is this sense of speaking the same langauge. You could suppose it is a Heavenly Language? That comes from the Father in Heaven which people tend to relate to by and through testimony of othets.

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is never the persons own power, it is always His power working through servant of the Lord to bring about His will that the recipient may be well, whole, healed, restored.
Jesus was clear that, "I only do what I see the Father do, I only say what I hear the Father say".
His life was the model for how we are to live.
To date no one has equaled His success, though some have approached His success in some areas. John G. Lake was able to teach others how to access Holy Spirit power.
Blessings

Reactions: The Learner

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is not true....Sunday was never a day for any special recognition. They were not days set aside for faith healing or communion.....who told you that?

When James 5: 14 says....
“Is there anyone sick among you? Let him call the elders of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, applying oil to him in the name of Jehovah.”

The word “sick” here means....
  1. to be weak, feeble, to be without strength, powerless
  2. to be weak in means, needy, poor
  3. to be feeble, sick

This applies not just to physical weakness, but also to spiritual weakness.
Acts 20:35...
“In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak” G770.

Rom 4:19...speaking of Abraham....
“Without becoming G770 weak G770 in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old...”

Rom 14:1...
“Now accept the one who is weak G770 in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.”

So it doesn’t just mean physically sick or weak, but weak in other ways.

Also....every time the memorial of the Lord’s Supper is mentioned, breaking bread is associated with drinking wine from a cup. (Matt 26:26-28; 1 Cor 10:16-21) The two actions are equally significant. So when breaking bread is mentioned without any reference to drinking from a cup, this is a reference, not to the Lord’s Supper, but just to an ordinary meal. Moreover, there is nothing to indicate that Jesus intended the Memorial of his death to be observed more often than the festival it replaced, the Passover, which was observed just once a year. He was the real Passover Lamb.

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure how you veered off to focus on a day of the week and not how worship drew Him near.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are countless numbers of people out there who have claimed to be healed by others, however still died from cancer or other ailments.

This not to knock God who can perhaps heal something inside of you, but that doesn't even mean God had a touch at all either... You might have started eating right and your ailments start healing up. You may have just simply stopped worry as much and had less an anxiety and your ailments heal up as you trust God even if you were to die.

So what is there to believe about these things?

Thank you for sharing a story, of long ago, Amadeus, I am skeptical of it.
If God can't or won't do it now, the most reasonable inference is that God couldn't or wouldn't
do it back then. The major reason for the rejection of Christianity by modern informed skeptics is not that there is inadequate
evidence for God's existence but that the Bible's promises just don't work. So healing testimonies like the one reported by Amadeus are vital for a rational defense of the faith. In the church of my youth a ministry to the deaf was started as the result of the healing of a deaf mute.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith healings don't happen anymore; can you prove otherwise?

This gets to the heart of the matter. No proof will be forthcoming because their is none to give. Whenever this question is asked, what you get are dodges, "testimonies," etc., but never any proof.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anyone who knows someone who experienced a miraculous healing,even according to doctors who admit as much, know nay sayers are wrong.
And if a miracle occurred according to the power of God’s enemy...what then?

Acts 2:43....”Indeed, fear began to fall upon everyone, and many wonders and signs began to occur through the apostles”.....yet in Matt 7:21-23 those rejected by Jesus offer their excuses to him.....”Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ and then yet I will confess to them “I never knew you”....

Could those ones tell the difference? Apparently not. Isn’t that a good enough reason for God to withdraw the miracles altogether and save them for the new world to come?

Then again, there likely are cults who teach cessationist propaganda.
What about the propaganda designed by the devil to mislead Christians? He fakes the “signs and wonders” so that those who assume that they are healed by God, actually are not. Why is the devil called a deceiver?
Being blasphemous cults they shall always be wrong,and doomed.
Be careful that you yourself are not part of what you claim to reject. What if Christendom itself is a blasphemous cult? Is that impossible?
What were the Jews told about Jesus that made them want to kill him? It must have been pretty convincing. (Matt 27:25)
The tragedy is the numbered damned they'll take with them. Believing lies to their very end. :(
Or it could be that the “many” traveling the superhighway to death are the ones believing the lies. (Matt 7:13-14).....Jesus said that “few” will be found on the road to life.....do you know why?

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because they "know Him not" is the first thing coming to mind.
"Religion" messed up a lot, man made "churches" conning people into thinking they have to jump through religious hoops to get themselves right when Jesus said at the end, "It is finished", He did it all.
blessings

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use to hate people with fierce hatred, and the Good Lord God Almighty, can take away those burdens when you talk to your Father in heaven, and rest for your soul as you keep up with abiding in Christ, by your own choice.

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus responded with "I will, be healed" in Luke 5-12, I am taught that the Greek translation of "I will" in that verse comes out more like, "It is the very nature of who I am that you be well whole and healed", showing it has always been His will that we be healed.
One word in the Greek can take a paragraph in English to illuminate.
blessings

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus responded with "I will, be healed" in Luke 5-12, I am taught that the Greek translation of "I will" in that verse comes out more like, "It is the very nature of who I am that you be well whole and healed", showing it has always been His will that we be healed.
Plus He said He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
That should be enough in order to believe he is still the healer.
Unless one thinks he is a liar.

Shittim

Nov 19, 2020
Iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen , friend.
My first miracle from prayer was age 5 or so, 60+ years ago.
First healing that I could witness, 40+ years ago with many Signs and wonders along the way.
we have not because we ask not, we ask and receive not because we ask amiss.
blessings