Fasting is an important part of Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We pray and we fast. But what is fasting. It is going without food for a certain amount of time in petition of prayer to God.

What I have found is that if you desire God to act in your life then provide a fast. And he is more active in your life.

It's important to note that people with medical problems should consult a doctor before fasting. Fasting is appropriate for those that can fast.

Joel 2:12 ESV / 1,136 helpful votes

“Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;

Last edited:
Reactions: Jane_Doe22

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fasting is important to resisting temptation. It is an old practice that is spoke of in the bible. Something that didn't end in the new testament.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fasting is important to resisting temptation. It is an old practice that is spoke of in the bible. Something that didn't end in the new testament.
Correct.

Paul calls these disciplines of the flesh, “mortification” because by this denial of the body, we die to the flesh so as to live in the spirit:
Rom. 8:13
"If you live after the flesh, you shall die, but if through the spirit you mortify the deeds of the flesh, you shall live."

Matt. 6:16, Luke 4:2, Acts 13:2, Acts 14:23
are additional verses regarding self-mortification through fasting.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct.

Paul calls these disciplines of the flesh, “mortification” because by this denial of the body, we die to the flesh so as to live in the spirit:
Rom. 8:13
"If you live after the flesh, you shall die, but if through the spirit you mortify the deeds of the flesh, you shall live."

Matt. 6:16, Luke 4:2, Acts 13:2, Acts 14:23
are additional verses regarding self-mortification through fasting.
Yes, it sounds like you got the same lesson out of fasting that I did.

Reactions: BreadOfLife

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am unable to fast due to my hypoglycemia. I run the risk of hypoglycemic shock if I skip meals.
Yes I should have mentioned that it is not recommended for people who are limited by medical conditions.

I used to fast monthly and now I have pre-diabetes. So I only fast when needed. I'm still OK to fast though as my pre-diabetes isn't that bad yet.

Reactions: Naomanos

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW. @Naomanos good to see you here. I take it you made it thru the COVID-19 illness OK?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have, although I think I may have some long covid symptoms happening. Still have the fatigue and now I am having trouble sleeping at night which wasn't a thing till Covid.
Yeah I heard it can have some after effects. Well I pray you'll fully recover. I'm glad you're better.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We pray and we fast. But what is fasting. It is going without food for a certain amount of time in petition of prayer to God.

What I have found is that if you desire God to act in your life then provide a fast. And he is more active in your life.

“Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;
I would direct you to chapter 58 of the book of Isaiah and "the fasting pleasing to God." Even the heathen fast as "mortification of the flesh" for spiritual purposes, but I won't be drawn into argument over self righteous practices here. Have a read. There's real spiritual power in Isaiah 58 for those who can receive it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would direct you to chapter 58 of the book of Isaiah and "the fasting pleasing to God." Even the heathen fast as "mortification of the flesh" for spiritual purposes, but I won't be drawn into argument over self righteous practices here. Have a read. There's real spiritual power in Isaiah 58 for those who can receive it.
That passage warns not to fast for the destruction of your enemies. But instead fast for the poor and hungry that they have their needs met. Also I think it wise to fast for healings that are needed.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That passage warns not to fast for the destruction of your enemies. But instead fast for the poor and hungry that they have their needs met. Also I think it wise to fast for healings that are needed.
Yes, but it isn't about self denial through abstinence. Rather it's about self denial by treating others and their needs as more significant than your own.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but it isn't about self denial through abstinence. Rather it's about self denial by treating others and their needs as more significant than your own.
Sure as the spirit of a fast. The Lord's fast was from food. He was tempted by Satan to turn a stone into bread.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure as the spirit of a fast. The Lord's fast was from food. He was tempted by Satan to turn a stone into bread.
Yes, He was, and His response was from scripture that related to the wilderness temptation of Israel in their 40 years of wandering. They were provided with mannah but grumbled against God in their lust for meat. God gave them their desire, but along with a plague.
The Devil tested Jesus according to the biblical promises given to Israel and David, as Messianic promises.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, He was, and His response was from scripture that related to the wilderness temptation of Israel in their 40 years of wandering. They were provided with mannah but grumbled against God in their lust for meat. God gave them their desire, but along with a plague.
The Devil tested Jesus according to the biblical promises given to Israel and David, as Messianic promises.
Interesting. I never saw that until you mentioned it. Thanks! :)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

People, like myself, with low blood sugar can get very sick if they fast.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People, like myself, with low blood sugar can get very sick if they fast.
I updated the OP to say that people with medical conditions should consult a doctor before fasting. Fasting is appropriate for those that can fast.

Reactions: Bob Estey