Focusing on Hell is all about Ego

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
You're wasting your time Robbie. The fear of the Lord is Bible.

2 Kings 17:25 (NKJV)
25 And it was so, at the beginning of their dwelling there, that they did not fear the LORD; therefore the LORD sent lions among them, which killed some of them.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I already told you... I know the Father through Jesus... and He told me not to be afraid... but I do agree there are some who should fear God...

As I said those who have:

1) A false security in self righteousness.

2) A lack of security in the Love of God.

Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Yeah, like Paul. He should fear, not us.
I guess Paul didn't believe either ;)

"Woe is me if I do not preach the gospel". We don't add works, but we understand that we were called for good works.
Ephesians 2:10
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

We know also that God warns us that the one who doesn't bear fruit will be cut off. We know God has now equipped us for those good works, and not to do them is to disobey.

Brother, I tell you this with love; we are to fear the Lord. We shouldn't think we've already attained, but we should press on to the high calling of Christ. If we saw ourselves in that light, which Paul did, we would understand we could still fall short by our lack and unfaithfulness, and would fear God, and pray that he would strengthen us and make us like him. :)

Love ya brother...

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
You're wasting your time Robbie. The fear of the Lord is Bible.

2 Kings 17:25 (NKJV)
25 And it was so, at the beginning of their dwelling there, that they did not fear the LORD; therefore the LORD sent lions among them, which killed some of them.

:lol: That is funny Ducky sometimes I wish that blunt God of the old testament would show up around North America.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I already told you... I know the Father through Jesus... and He told me not to be afraid... but I do agree there are some who should fear God...

As I said those who have:

1) A false security in self righteousness.

2) A lack of security in the Love of God.

Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Absence of the fear of God leads to living in sin:

2 Corinthians 7:1 (NKJV)
1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

:lol: That is funny Ducky sometimes I wish that blunt God of the old testament would show up around North America.
I don't know if there's enough lions to go around.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
:lol: You guys gave me a good laugh.

Sad to say, but America has no fear of the Lord. The new Sodom and Gomora (I know, there's supposed to be an 'h' somewhere in there)

If only men feared the Lord, and came to him with a contrite heart...

But I guess this means 'buckle up'. The last days are upon us, and it's not about to get pretty. :)

And if the judgment is slow to come, it'll give more men the chance to turn to God!

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
How do you know it's not you that has no fear of the Lord and that's why you actually think in some way you're living up to perfection... and if you're not living up to it you better just humble yourself and get in the,"God be merciful to me a sinner" line with the rest of us.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
How do you know it's not you that has no fear of the Lord and that's why you actually think in some way you're living up to perfection... and if you're not living up to it you better just humble yourself and get in the,"God be merciful to me a sinner" line with the rest of us.

Robbie I think you are off on your understanding of fear. Proverbs 9:10 tells us that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the holy one is understanding." The fear that the verse is talking about is not the adam and eve fear where they are terrified. The word fear fear translated from greek I believe, means "in awe of". It's is like an all encompassing respect for God, one of the best things we can do to respect God is to obey the ten commandments. By obeying the 10 commandments we show the fear that the bible is talking about.

Also Proverbs goes further do describe fear of the Lord as to hate and avoid evil as well as pride and arrogance.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
The fear of the Lord is the beginning... but when Love is perfected fear is cast out...

If you're still afraid Love isn't yet perfected...

Which means your revelation of the Father through Christ isn't yet perfected...

As Christ is the perfect revelation of God being Perfect Love...

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
The fear of the Lord is the beginning... but when Love is perfected fear is cast out...

Did you read the whole post ? I said I am not afraid of him at all he keeps me in line quite well with his word. In fact I can't wait to see him, I get excited when I hear about wars and earthquakes I watch TV and go come on Jesus come back I can't wait to see him and be with the father.

Don't get upset I say this in love brother, but you sometimes come across like you are saying sin all you want to Jesus makes it ok or God will forgive you. That isn't true of the father he demands respect maybe he is ok with you doing that but he has corrected me in many ways before.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
You get excited when you hear about wars and earthquakes? Really? Frick man... that stuff makes me sad because I think about all the people that are suffering. I hate hearing about bad stuff happening to people. It makes me feel so bummed.

And when I was writing you, it's wasn't at you, it was just as anyone...

Let me fix it...

If someone is still afraid Love isn't yet perfected...

Which means their revelation of the Father through Christ isn't yet perfected...

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
You get excited when you hear about wars and earthquakes? Really? Frick man... that stuff makes me sad because I think about all the people that are suffering. I hate hearing about bad stuff happening to people. It makes me feel so bummed.

And when I was writing you, it's wasn't at you, it was just as anyone...

Let me fix it...

If someone is still afraid Love isn't yet perfected...

Which means their revelation of the Father through Christ isn't yet perfected...

Well when you put it like that you can bum anyone out, but Ive never really even experienced a natural disaster other than the hell frozen over we call winter up here. Yeah sorry thats a jerk thing to tell some guy from California especially I mean you guys have seen it all hey ?

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I can totally relate man... I have no hard feelings against you because I used to feel the same... I'd sit there and watch CNN and get so excited that Jesus was coming back because of all the horrific stuff I was seeing and never thought to myself how sad it was that there were people that were experiencing all that pain and suffering...

Then one day I thought about Jesus... how many times he cried over peoples pain... I realized He never got excited over that stuff... it actually made Him weep... because He is so soft hearted... He cares so much about people...

And all of a sudden I remembered something a good friend said to me when we were talking about religion, "Just make sure you never harden your heart"

Now I try to think about how individuals are feeling instead of thinking stuff like, "The Indonesians had and earthquake yay Jesus might be coming back" or, "We blew up some Muslims yay Jesus might be coming back" Instead I try to think about individual people that have feelings just like me and I allow myself to feel for them... and my ability to do so proves to me that my heart is still soft... and if my heart is still soft I'm still alive...

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I can totally relate man... I have no hard feelings against you because I used to feel the same... I'd sit there and watch CNN and get so excited that Jesus was coming back because of all the horrific stuff I was seeing and never thought to myself how sad it was that there were people that were experiencing all that pain and suffering...

Then one day I thought about Jesus... how many times he cried over peoples pain... I realized He never got excited over that stuff... it actually made Him weep... because He is so soft hearted... He cares so much about people...

And all of a sudden I remembered something a good friend said to me when we were talking about religion, "Just make sure you never harden your heart"

Now I try to think about how individuals are feeling instead of thinking stuff like, "The Indonesians had and earthquake yay Jesus might be coming back" or, "We blew up some Muslims yay Jesus might be coming back" Instead I try to think about individual people that have feelings just like me and I allow myself to feel for them... and my ability to do so proves to me that my heart is still soft... and if my heart is still soft I'm still alive...

Ahh that's so awesome of you brother, the excitement I feel comes from a good place it's definitely not about the casualties.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

its not a scary fear

its a reverential fear of God... to have reverence for God means to have great respect for him and that respect in turn motivates a person to reject wrongdoing. Thats why proverbs says that the fear of God is the 'beginning of wisdom'..... because having such reverential fear of God will move a person to please him rather then displease him.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
:lol: You guys gave me a good laugh.

Sad to say, but America has no fear of the Lord. The new Sodom and Gomora (I know, there's supposed to be an 'h' somewhere in there)

If only men feared the Lord, and came to him with a contrite heart...

But I guess this means 'buckle up'. The last days are upon us, and it's not about to get pretty. :)

And if the judgment is slow to come, it'll give more men the chance to turn to God!
It's gonna be a GREAT time for those seeking God. Many religious folks will find Him.

Everyone will learn the fear of the Lord. For many it will be the hard way, and too late but they will learn.

King James Bible
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

its not a scary fear

its a reverential fear of God... to have reverence for God means to have great respect for him and that respect in turn motivates a person to reject wrongdoing. Thats why proverbs says that the fear of God is the 'beginning of wisdom'..... because having such reverential fear of God will move a person to please him rather then displease him.
It says FEAR not REVERENCE.

Philippians 2:12 (NKJV)
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
That is right. Focusing on Hell is all about avoiding damnation......we were created for more than avoiding damnation. We serve a God that love us and has always wanted to be in free communion with us. Focusing on Hell to gain converts is demonic.

-- Thankfully, an extremely small percentage of those who are Christians focus on hell when they share the Gospel.

Unfortunately, many Christians focus on the "love" factor but neglect to mention that Jesus also has expectations of Christians.

That partial message will leave many standing before Jesus saying, "But but but..."

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Focusing on Hell is all about Ego

here are my thoughts on the matter. we need to look at how Jesus taught. i find it hard to believe that Jesus taught by scaring people about hell. read through his sermons sometime and study them and see how he preached.

people have gone to hell or visited hell and then were brought out again by Jesus. you can read the testimonies online if you wish. but one of the things i have found that being in hell does to a person is to give them a motivation to peach to people about God and going to heaven because they have seen that hell is real and they don't want others to go through what they have experienced for only a short while to happen to others for eternity. i also think another reason God shows people hell is because today christians and nonbelievers are starting to believe that there is no hell. so God chooses individuals to experience hell for a short amount of time and then come back and share it with others.

the only time i believe focusing on hell is good for us is when the holy spirit has appointed certain individuals to go and tell people about hell. sometimes God has us speak to thousands of people just so he can reach just one person. that one person being reached makes the whole thing worthwhile. from what i know of people that preach about hell is that the age group that is most affected are high school to young adults about college level. God's ways are not our ways and so we should not be thinking we know better then he does. God does things that seem strange in the world's eye to confound the proud.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I am thinking that it is not our job to convict of sin. It is God who draws people. It is the Holy Spirit who convicts of sin. Jesus said come unto me all ye who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest! It was the pharasee's to whom he said "How can you escape the condemnation of Gehenna?"