Food for "thoughts" for sure!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I expect many of us are on the alert against the 'eastern' stuff...New Age etc
But I found this very interesting and challenging.
Maybe many are already well aware of her teachings.
=======================

Dr. Caroline Leaf explains that- "multitasking actually damages the brain. It physically cannot focus on more than one thing at once so when you are multitasking, it is having to switch from one thing to the next very rapidly which results in poor activity in the brain and actually makes you worse at whatever you are trying to do.

We were made to focus. To be putting all of our attention on one thing at a time.
This allows the full thinking process of the brain to occur, and for you to learn and grow deeply. You also end up getting much more done when you focus on one thing, finish, and then move on to the next.

God made us to take time each day to put all of our focus on HIM and our life.
When you take time to deeply think and focus on something, you are changing your brain and creating new neural pathways to make that a reality.

Most people are not practiced at noticing their own thoughts and therefore just let them run all day long and react to them. It takes practice to be able to stop and notice your thoughts and change them.

When you begin to pray, think, and spend time in self-reflection, your default mode network in your brain turns on. The DMN allows creativity to come out, allowing you to see solutions to problems, come up with new ideas, and notice what needs to be changed in your life.

The more time you spend in reflection and prayer, the more the DMV gets strengthen which improves brain function, and mental, physical, and spiritual health!

When you pause your activity and enter into a directed rest, you will emerge far ahead of where you would have been if you just operated within the realms of a shifting, shuffling, limited conscious min. This is what God meant when He said “be still and know that I am God” Psalm 46:10.

Basically, this is scientific proof that when stress, worry, sadness, anger, or any situation that comes your way each day- it is important to stop, breathe, deeply think and self-reflect about what is going on and pray about what you are to do, and let it go.

Time spend in thinking, prayer, allows areas in our brain to open up that allows us to revive insight, direction, and peace. "

Reactions: FHII and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
=======================

Dr. Caroline Leaf explains that- "multitasking actually damages the brain. It physically cannot focus on more than one thing at once so when you are multitasking, it is having to switch from one thing to the next very rapidly which results in poor activity in the brain and actually makes you worse at whatever you are trying to do.

We were made to focus. To be putting all of our attention on one thing at a time.
This allows the full thinking process of the brain to occur, and for you to learn and grow deeply. You also end up getting much more done when you focus on one thing, finish, and then move on to the next.

When you take time to deeply think and focus on something, you are changing your brain and creating new neural pathways to make that a reality.

Most people are not practiced at noticing their own thoughts and therefore just let them run all day long and react to them. It takes practice to be able to stop and notice your thoughts and change them.

When you begin to pray, think, and spend time in self-reflection, your default mode network in your brain turns on. The DMN allows creativity to come out, allowing you to see solutions to problems, come up with new ideas, and notice what needs to be changed in your life.

The more time you spend in reflection and prayer, the more the DMV gets strengthen which improves brain function, and mental, physical, and spiritual health!

When you pause your activity and enter into a directed rest, you will emerge far ahead of where you would have been if you just operated within the realms of a shifting, shuffling, limited conscious min. This is what God meant when He said “be still and know that I am God” Psalm 46:10.

Basically, this is scientific proof that when stress, worry, sadness, anger, or any situation that comes your way each day- it is important to stop, breathe, deeply think and self-reflect about what is going on and pray about what you are to do, and let it go.

Time spend in thinking, prayer, allows areas in our brain to open up that allows us to revive insight, direction, and peace. "
I have not heard of her. Her stuff seems sensible and, if her theory is used by Christians, and if God is at the center of their focus-yeah, awesome! I might even work on this as my thought life has been haywire for awhile now, lol. ♥

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Dr C. Leaf :-

If you are wanting to change a thinking pattern you have, or truly believe a concept- you cannot simply think it once, or even 5 days and have it stick. You must think, focus, and act upon it every day for at least 2 months.

“The implanted word will save your soul”. If we want to truly believe what the Bible tells us, we need to meditate on 1 truth every day for at least two months to implant it into our subconscience which will then allow us to truly believe and produce the fruit of what it is saying.

How it works:-
  • Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal what toxic thinking pattern you need to get rid of and what truth or mindset you need to wire in.
  • Focus on that one thought and that one only for 21-30 days straight, every single day for 5-10 minutes a day. Do not try to do multiple thoughts at once- it won’t work. It has to be focused and intentional.You will be wiring that toxic thought out as you wire a new truth in at the same time.By doing this, you are creating new neural pathways and destroying old ones so you can have a new “default” way of seeing that issue instead of the toxic way you saw it previously."

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It sounds good and I can "see it"...but it does sound a bit "new Age-y" for me.

I have a real aversion for "doing things".

But then again...we could say that about many things...like the discipline of getting up in the morning, combings the hair etc etc :D

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But then again...we could say that about many things...like the discipline of getting up in the morning, combings the hair etc etc :D
"I have a real aversion for "doing things"."
Lol, yer phunee :D Yes, a tad new agey but, if the focus of any kind of power in it is credited to God and Him alone, not some yoga candley thing but God, or a semiprecious stone that has healing powers"---I could see it working, if he wills. My local Church has a weekly meeting called Celebrate Recovery, Hurts, habits and hangups...anything you struggle with- it is like an AA thing only Christ centered and I have seen it help people...jm2c :D

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"I have a real aversion for "doing things"."
Lol, yer phunee :D Yes, a tad new agey but, if the focus of any kind of power in it is credited to God and Him alone, not some yoga candley thing but God, or a semiprecious stone that has healing powers"---I could see it working, if he wills. My local Church has a weekly meeting called Celebrate Recovery, Hurts, habits and hangups...anything you struggle with- it is like an AA thing only Christ centered and I have seen it help people...jm2c :D

Yes agree...the "Christ centred" you be the protection and virtue in it. :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
=======================

The Sabbath commandment for rest also revitalises.

B

brakelite

Not 'new-agey' Grace. My SIL, a principal at a Christian college and having a Masters in Psychology (a real nerd) recently read a book by another author presenting very similar thoughts. Our brains can be trained...our thoughts controlled...and such principles are not just scientifically sound, but Biblically based and are sound practice. Allowing the word of God to truly penetrate and do its work.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dr. Caroline Leaf
ByGrace, a friend in California sent me a package through the mail, in the package was a copy of Dr. Caroline’s book. My friend is new age so I was hesitant because the way she and I see things, are not always the same. But she loves me and I figured I would at least read it. I also watched the videos of Dr. Caroline on YouTube (there are some good ones for those that don’t have the book.) Thing is, reguardless of how a person sees another’s faith or walk, this doctor has dedicated what she knows about the brain and how new “trees” can be formed and others cut off, and she uses it to help people. One thing that was really insightful in what Dr. Caroline teaches is how genes are passed down through inheritance and can either be opened by bad habits and a worrisome lifestyle....or the genes passed down from our parents(bad ones) will remain shut. How does that fit with what God’s word says and the curses being passed down: choose life or choose death. Those genes inherited and passed down through generations...can remain shut. We do choose. Stress and consumption of all we know is bad for us, and we know there are consequences.

My oldest daughter took her eighth month old in to the pediatrician. He was my pediatrician and way up there in years now. I wasn’t even sure he was still alive. A really good doctor. Humble and caring and takes time to pay attention to your baby and get them comfortable being in a doctors office before he will ever do the office check. loves kids. Melody had pneumonia in both lungs and a double earache. When he told my daughter she said she panicked. “Does she have to go to the hospital. Is it dangerous! Could she die!” All sorts of red alarms. The doctor told my daughter if she didnt calm down and stop stressing and not trusting God...diseases would open in her body and she would get sick. he gave her a long talk about genes. He said his entire family couldn’t walk in the later years because of severe arthritis and when he started showing signs of it himself...he decided then and there to trust God. I haven’t seen him in years but my daughter said he looks young and perfectly healthy. her pediatrician told her God can heal a person through trust. So much for it being new age

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ByGrace, a friend in California sent me a package through the mail, in the package was a copy of Dr. Caroline’s book. My friend is new age so I was hesitant because the way she and I see things, are not always the same. But she loves me and I figured I would at least read it. I also watched the videos of Dr. Caroline on YouTube (there are some good ones for those that don’t have the book.) Thing is, reguardless of how a person sees another’s faith or walk, this doctor has dedicated what she knows about the brain and how new “trees” can be formed and others cut off, and she uses it to help people. One thing that was really insightful in what Dr. Caroline teaches is how genes are passed down through inheritance and can either be opened by bad habits and a worrisome lifestyle....or the genes passed down from our parents(bad ones) will remain shut. How does that fit with what God’s word says and the curses being passed down: choose life or choose death. Those genes inherited and passed down through generations...can remain shut. We do choose. Stress and consumption of all we know is bad for us, and we know there are consequences.

My oldest daughter took her eighth month old in to the pediatrician. He was my pediatrician and way up there in years now. I wasn’t even sure he was still alive. A really good doctor. Humble and caring and takes time to pay attention to your baby and get them comfortable being in a doctors office before he will ever do the office check. loves kids. Melody had pneumonia in both lungs and a double earache. When he told my daughter she said she panicked. “Does she have to go to the hospital. Is it dangerous! Could she die!” All sorts of red alarms. The doctor told my daughter if she didnt calm down and stop stressing and not trusting God...diseases would open in her body and she would get sick. he gave her a long talk about genes. He said his entire family couldn’t walk in the later years because of severe arthritis and when he started showing signs of it himself...he decided then and there to trust God. I haven’t seen him in years but my daughter said he looks young and perfectly healthy. her pediatrician told her God can heal a person through trust. So much for it being new age

I think it fits perfectly. You can see it in the genetic make up of addicts, which has to be dealt with down to the third and fourth generations. Abusive parents teach their children to manage their emotions in maladaptive ways - even if the kids grow up and never abuse.

I tend to believe God punishes by allowing us to experience varying degrees of natatural consequences resulting from our actions. Yes, He also acts miraculously, but often it is to curb the natural consequences. For example, God made clothing in the Garden for Adam and Eve, which I see as the false self/ego in order to protect them from each other - it was a limiting factor of their choice to make choices without fellowship with God. Living without God and completely vulnerable or ‘naked’ would lead to physical death quickly.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Re. getting up in the morning, a good mental discipline - and spiritually profitable indeed - is making sure that one reads God's Word first thing.

Re. hair and combing, keeping hair cut short can be very helpful all round. (Maybe a new thread could be started about it, even.)