For those who think Jesus is God - Why is that important?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to be argumentative, but I seem to remember once or twice God changing his mind.
Not to worry!

There is also Malachi, "I YHWH change not, therefore, you, O Jacob, are not consumed". James, "The Father of lights . . . no variableness nor shadow of turning". Places like that.

Genesis 6:5-8 KJV
5) And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6) And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7) And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8) But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.

This is the first place "repent" appears. I know when we think of ourselves repenting, it's because we realize we've been wrong, and we are turning away from that, towards what is right. I think this characterizes the Hebrew word for repentance.

Was that how it was with God? Or does this say something different about Him?

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to worry!

There is also Malachi, "I YHWH change not, therefore, you, O Jacob, are not consumed". James, "The Father of lights . . . no variableness nor shadow of turning". Places like that.

5) And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6) And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7) And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

This is the first place "repent" appears. I know when we think of ourselves repenting, it's because we realize we've been wrong, and we are turning away from that, towards what is right. I think this characterizes the Hebrew word for repentance.

Much love!
I think it shows God has feelings.

Reactions: Wrangler

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is the Alpha and Omega, the Lord God Almighty , the Great " I AM "

These passages in Revelation make it clear that Jesus is God. Remember it is Jesus in the GNT who is Coming back to earth that every eye will see. It was Jesus who was pierced on the cross for our sins. John is clearly once again calling Jesus God!!!!!!! The Coming and the coming in the clouds never refers to the Father in the GNT but always to Jesus.

Revelation 1:7-8
7 BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.
8 "I Am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

We know from Revelation 1:8 that Alpha and Omega is the Almighty. So we can see that Christ is the Almighty

Revelation 1:17
17And when I saw Him, I fell at his feet as dead. And He laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I Am the first and the last:

We know from Revelation 1:17-18 that the first and the last is He that lives, was dead but is alive forevermore is Christ.

Revelation 2:8
"To the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again.

Revelation 22:12-13
12 "Behold, I Am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. 13 "I Am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

We know from Revelation 22:13 that the first and the last is the Alpha and Omega.

Revelation 22:16,20
16 "I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."
20 He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I Am coming quickly." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

The immediate text clearly tells us that it was Jesus who was pierced and who is Coming in the clouds. This person coming in the clouds is God(Jesus-the Son of Man),

Daniel 7:13-14
And behold, with the clouds of heaven
One like a Son of Man was coming,
And He came up to the Ancient of Days
And was presented before Him.
14 "And to Him was given dominion,
Glory and a kingdom,
That all the peoples, nations and men of every language
Might serve Him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion
Which will not pass away;
And His kingdom is one
Which will not be destroyed.

Matthew 24:30-31
30 "And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory.

Matthew 26:64
Jesus said to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."

1 Thessalonians 4:17-18
Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Revelation 1:7-8
7 BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.
8 "I Am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

So we can see that the One who comes/is coming in the NT always refers to Jesus the Son of Man and NEVER refers to the Father. Therefore we can conclude it is Jesus who is coming whom John calls God the Alpha and Omega. This is sound biblical exegesis based on the context of the passage as well as the principle established in both Testaments on the One who is Coming in/with the Clouds- The Son of Man not the Father !!!!!!

Isaiah 44:6
Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel
And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
'I am the first and I am the last,
And there is no God besides Me.

Isaiah 48:12
"Listen to Me, O Jacob, even Israel whom I called;
I am He, I am the first, I am also the last.

John 8:24-
Unless you believe I Am He you will die in your sins !

hope this helps !!!
EXCELLENT!!!

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not to worry!

Much love!
God changes not, because of that we believers are not consumed, as God is a God of sure and certain promises.

God's precious promises is to save the righteous who are justified by faith and destroy the wicked in eternal fire of hell.
But I think Malachi verse goes further than that, as it is talking about the elect who are and who will be saved through all time, past, present, future.
Only the elect of God obtain salvation, while the others, the non elect are blinded, hardened, made stubborn. That is actively done by God.

Romans 11:7

KJ21
What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded,
ASV
What then? That which Israel seeketh for, that he obtained not; but the election obtained it, and the rest were hardened:
AMP
What then? Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking [that is, God’s favor by obedience to the Law], but the elect [those chosen few] obtained it, while the rest of them became hardened and callously indifferent;
AMPC
What then [shall we conclude]? Israel failed to obtain what it sought [God’s favor by obedience to the Law]. Only the elect (those chosen few) obtained it, while the rest of them became callously indifferent (blinded, hardened, and made insensible to it).
NABRE
What then? What Israel was seeking it did not attain, but the elect attained it; the rest were hardened,
NASB
What then? What Israel is seeking, it has not obtained, but those who were chosen obtained it, and the rest were hardened;
NASB1995
What then? What Israel is seeking, it has not obtained, but those who were chosen obtained it, and the rest were hardened;
NCB
What follows, then? Israel was unable to attain what it was seeking. The elect attained it, but the rest were hardened,
NCV
So this is what has happened: Although the Israelites tried to be right with God, they did not succeed, but the ones God chose did become right with him. The others were made stubborn and refused to listen to God.
NET
What then? Israel failed to obtain what it was diligently seeking, but the elect obtained it. The rest were hardened,
NIRV
What should we say then? The people of Israel did not receive what they wanted so badly. Those Israelites who were chosen did receive it. But the rest of the people were made stubborn.
NIV
What then? What the people of Israel sought so earnestly they did not obtain. The elect among them did, but the others were hardened,
NIVUK
What then? What the people of Israel sought so earnestly they did not obtain. The elect among them did, but the others were hardened,
NKJV
What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you find this understanding important to you, that Jesus is in fact God?
Precious friend, Great Question!:

1) There is, In Biblical Fact, ETERNAL Salvation in NO OTHER! (Acts 4:12)

2) God's BLOOD Was Shed For the FORGIVENESS of my horrible/wretched sins,
when I had ABSOLUTELY NO HOPE! "Created creatures" have NO Remedy for such.
(Acts 20:28)

3) Without The Most Important Doctrine Of The Holy Scriptures, there is NO OTHER
way to offer the lost in this wicked world ANY HOPE whatsoever! Amen?:

500 Plain And Clear Scriptural Passages JESUS CHRIST Is Almighty God!

GRACE And Peace...

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For those who think Jesus is God - Why is that important"
It is very important. Jesus is the ONLY true Savior. Those who don't believe that Jesus is God have a different savior.

Jack, since the post asks why Christ's divinity is important, and your answer focuses on his being Savior, I have to ask: Are you saying that his sacrifice on Calvary would have been ineffective to forgive our sins if he WEREN'T God?

That proposition takes a bit more explanation than I have seen thus far on this post. The notion that an omnipotent God, who could do anything, was powerless to forgive sin other than by the shedding of blood of a divine son -- that no lesser solvent could be made to work -- needs discussion.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jack, since the post asks why Christ's divinity is important, and your answer focuses on his being Savior, I have to ask: Are you saying that his sacrifice on Calvary would have been ineffective to forgive our sins if he WEREN'T God?
I thought my answer was quite simple and clear. I don't see the relevance of your question.

That proposition takes a bit more explanation than I have seen thus far on this post. The notion that an omnipotent God, who could do anything, was powerless to forgive sin other than by the shedding of blood of a divine son -- that no lesser solvent could be made to work -- needs discussion.
Salvation is ONLY through the Blood of Jesus. Maybe you should be asking God why He did things His way? Perhaps the answer is in the Bible.

1 Timothy 3
16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jack, I am not questioning that salvation is only through the blood of Jesus. I'm questioning why, for those who think Jesus is God (which I assume includes both of us), why you feel that is important. Is it because you deem it to be a necessary element of salvation?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. Redemption had to come by the blood of a spotless lamb. No one else could fit that bill. If we (humanity or any member of humanity) were spotless, that means without sin. And scripture clearly states that all have sinned and come short of God's glory. That is every person born after Adam's fall. Jesus, on the other hand, was the Word of God made flesh ....sinless and spotless. Faith in God is where salvation comes from. Faith in a mere man brings us no closer to God and in fact, is spiritual idolatry.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. Redemption had to come by the blood of a spotless lamb. No one else could fit that bill. If we were spotless, that means without sin. And scripture clearly states that all have sinned and come short of God's glory. That is every person born after Adam's fall. Jesus, on the other hand, was the Word of God made flesh ....sinless and spotless.

I certainly understand that without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins; that's God's way. And I grant that the sacrificial lamb must be sinless if remission of sins is to be the result; that's God's way, too. I'm just asking for an explanation of why GOD INCARNATE is the only possible spotless lamb whose blood will do the trick -- not a sinless "Word of God made flesh" who nevertheless isn't God Himself.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just asking for an explanation of why GOD INCARNATE is the only possible spotless lamb whose blood will do the trick -- not a sinless "Word of God made flesh" who nevertheless isn't God Himself.
Because man is fallen. That's the whole point. A man (after fallen Adam) cannot be that sinless, spotless lamb. It makes total sense to me. But I guess you're having a difficult time grasping it. And btw, the Word is God.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just asking for an explanation of why GOD INCARNATE is the only possible spotless lamb whose blood will do the trick -- not a sinless "Word of God made flesh" who nevertheless isn't God Himself.
Precious friend, faith simply does not question God, and His Ways. This is What The
Holy Scripture Actually Plainly And Clearly Teaches About This Important Matter:

Act 20:28
"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over
the which The Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the
church of God, Which HE Hath Purchased With His Own BLOOD."
= = = [JESUS], Correct? Or:

500 Passages That JESUS Is Almighty God!

GRACE And Peace...

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, faith simply does not question God, and His Ways. This is What The
Holy Scripture Actually Plainly And Clearly Teaches About This Important Matter:

Act 20:28
"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over
the which The Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the
church of God, Which HE Hath Purchased With His Own BLOOD."
= = = [JESUS], Correct? Or:

500 Passages That JESUS Is Almighty God!

GRACE And Peace...
I love this!!! Truth is simple and yet profoundly beautiful!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador