Fundamentalist Christianity breeds narcissism/bigotry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the definition of self deception....lol

Typical distortion of what someone says. Here is the rest of what I wrote...

If you knew the meaning of the word "condemning" you wouldn't make nonsensical statements.

You write that I'm "self-deceived" and "foolish" and you think that "saying all this in love" bears any relation to reality? Suppose I lovingly called you a self-deceived idiot?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you can't be truthful and honest your posts are just garbage.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you can't be truthful and honest your posts are just garbage.

Hypocrisy in a nutshell.... You are the perfect example to illustrate my point. Quite laughable actually.

Here is Proverbs 9:8 again... "Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee." There are two categories of people there, which one are you? A Scorner, or a wise man? From my perspective I see a scorner.... Good luck with that.

adieu

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hypocrisy in a nutshell.... You are the perfect example to illustrate my point. Quite laughable actually.

Here is Proverbs 9:8 again... "Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee." There are two categories of people there, which one are you? A Scorner, or a wise man? From my perspective I see a scorner.... Good luck with that.

adieu

Your writing "From my perspective" says it all.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your writing "From my perspective" says it all.

Exactly, and so are you. We are all hypocrites when you understand this.... perhaps there is a wiseman hiding under that scorner's shell?

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I'm going to be brutally honest here. YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. Indeed you hate the truth, since there is such as thing as Absolute Truth. And Jesus Himself is "the Truth".

Fundamentalist Christians do not need to defend themselves since they simple believe what God has said. "Progressives" are essentially unbelievers.

Fundamentalists often conflate what man said to be one and the same to what God said. This is definitely a mistake commonly found in fundamentalism.

Reactions: Jim B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is do you see your own hypocrisy? You are condemning the fundamentalists for being condemning. Self deception fails to allow you to see this in yourself, and it makes you look really foolish when you do this. I say this in all love....;)
You were called out for being condemning, and your reply is, "You are condemning, do you see that?"

I remember a game we played as children, we called it, "I know you are but what am I?" The person being provoked would then say something else, "You're a jerk!" "I know you are but what am I?" "You're a loser!" "I know you are but what am I?" You get the idea.

But then we left childish things behind.

Much love!

Reactions: Jim B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Suppose I lovingly called you a self-deceived idiot?
Gee . . . when you put it that way . . .

I always seem to feel surprised at the strange things people will say to justify themselves, and their bad behavior.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How difficult do you believe it is to actually see things from "God's perspective"?
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let the man who knows God show it in their manner of living. And on a forum, this means how we address each other.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't saying "fundamentalist" another way of saying "someone who doesn't add their own flights of fancy"?

Much love!

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let the man who knows God show it in their manner of living. And on a forum, this means how we address each other.

Much love!

All men seem to have their list of "approvals".......

I expect men to sin. I expect Christians to sin. I expect to be bombasted from all sides with mistakes and errors. I look for Christ in the loving word of those who extol the endless value of His name.

However, all seek their own. Not the things that be of Christ.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think it's difficult at all. I read the Bible daily.

Very few read the Bible without perspective.

The Dispensationalist reads looking for "dispensations".... Covenant Theologians read looking for "covenants"......

Perspective is often "baked" in the nonsense men already believe and bring with them to the "reading of the Bible".....

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't saying "fundamentalist" another way of saying "someone who doesn't add their own flights of fancy"?

Much love!

Here is an excellent definition of "fundamentalism" from wikipedia...

Fundamentalism usually has a religious connotation that indicates unwavering attachment to a set of irreducible beliefs.[1] However, fundamentalism has come to be applied to a tendency among certain groups – mainly, although not exclusively, in religion – that is characterized by a markedly strict literalism as it is applied to certain specific scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies, and a strong sense of the importance of maintaining ingroup and outgroup distinctions,[2][3][4][5] leading to an emphasis on purity and the desire to return to a previous ideal from which advocates believe members have strayed. Rejection of diversity of opinion as applied to these established "fundamentals" and their accepted interpretation within the group often results from this tendency.[6]

Depending upon the context, the label "fundamentalism" can be a pejorative rather than a neutral characterization, similar to the ways that calling political perspectives "right-wing" or "left-wing" can have negative connotations.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is an excellent definition of "fundamentalism" from wikipedia...

Fundamentalism usually has a religious connotation that indicates unwavering attachment to a set of irreducible beliefs.[1] However, fundamentalism has come to be applied to a tendency among certain groups – mainly, although not exclusively, in religion – that is characterized by a markedly strict literalism as it is applied to certain specific scriptures, dogmas, or ideologies, and a strong sense of the importance of maintaining ingroup and outgroup distinctions,[2][3][4][5] leading to an emphasis on purity and the desire to return to a previous ideal from which advocates believe members have strayed. Rejection of diversity of opinion as applied to these established "fundamentals" and their accepted interpretation within the group often results from this tendency.[6]

Depending upon the context, the label "fundamentalism" can be a pejorative rather than a neutral characterization, similar to the ways that calling political perspectives "right-wing" or "left-wing" can have negative connotations.
It sounds like they are saying "someone who believes the Bible actually says a certain thing, and holds tightly to it."

Much love!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very few read the Bible without perspective.

The Dispensationalist reads looking for "dispensations".... Covenant Theologians read looking for "covenants"......

Perspective is often "baked" in the nonsense men already believe and bring with them to the "reading of the Bible".....

Not everything that people believe is nonsense. Some of us read the Bible to understand God's word as clearly as possible. Others read it to reinforce previously held opinions.

Reactions: marks