Genesis as allegory? - History versus allegory

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Oh my!
Is that the result of flash flooding?
Or what happened?

/
Yes. It's an ongoing issue in areas where there is forestry. When the stands are felled the hills are littered with what is called "slash", which is the stuff left behind having no commercial value. Last year there were two major weather events that brought a lot of slash down from the hills.

This is the beach at Tolaga Bay on the East Coast of the North Island of NZ.

1705979862435.png

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the beach at Tolaga Bay on the East Coast of the North Island of NZ.
What a mess.
Not exactly a beach anyone would want to visit.
Will anything be done to clean up the mess and prevent it in the future?
I suppose the lumber industry (forestry) should be held responsible.
But it may be difficult to enforce.

/

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you make of this? Nothing said in secret?

John 18:20-21 NIV
“I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied.
“I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret.
21 Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said.”

/

This is a great question. Most people won't like the answer, but in context it's fascinating.

The religious leaders are asking about his disciples and his teaching-- much of which runs counter to their own understanding, practice and teaching. His answer is--- Go ask those I've been teaching. I've been teaching everywhere, in the synagogues, at the temple, the countryside, in public, in private..... go ask the people I've taught, what I've said....

On the surface that seems to settle it, but here's the rub. He's not being entirely honest with them. (gasp)

The truth is, he often taught in secret. Or he would teach one thing publicly, then explain the meaning (in secret) to only a small group or individuals. He would tell some things, only to some people, and withhold those same things from others. Secondly-- there's the matter of his own understanding. "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Where did he get his teaching?"

"My teaching is not my own, but His who sent me."

The word (logos) that filled him came to him (in secret) and it was this wisdom that came from within that he shared with others. And in fact, it's the very reason that he spoke and taught through parable (allegory) -- in order to hide the true meaning of otherwise superficial stories. He did it on purpose and almost all the time. So his statement to the religious leaders, wasn't exactly truthful. Not entirely. And I know that this flies in the face of many believers, but they would do themselves a great favor by believing the truth and avoid the sugar-coatings that have come with time.

The work-around is contained below. Concerning these 'secrets' that Jesus knew-- he revealed to others, so in that sense he was a revealer of secrets. And when he shared his hidden knowledge, he told others to tell others.

Do not be afraid of them, for nothing is hidden that will not be revealed, and nothing is secret that will not be made known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light, and what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the housetops.

On occasion he would heal a man--and instruct them to tell no one. (Keep it a secret-Matt 8:4).
When he raised the child from the dead-- he ordered the parents not to tell anyone. (Luke 8:56)

Sometimes his secrets had expiration dates. “Do not tell anyone about the vision until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.”

And so on....

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the surface that seems to settle it, but here's the rub. He's not being entirely honest with them. (gasp)
Yes, kind of a jaw-drop.
I remember the time I read this and realized something was terribly wrong. "Say what?"
Certainly dovetails with the "Was he perfect?" question.

Great post from you, thanks. I agree.

A quick look at the Bible Commentaries shows lots of backpedaling. - LOL

/

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, kind of a jaw-drop.
I remember the time I read this and realized something was terribly wrong. "Say what?"
Certainly dovetails with the "Was he perfect?" question.

Great post from you, thanks. I agree.

A quick look at the Bible Commentaries shows lots of backpedaling. - LOL

/

Here's an example they can't get around. If it was anyone but Jesus, they'd call it a straight out lie.

Now the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near. So Jesus’ brothers advised him, “Leave here and go to Judea so your disciples may see your miracles that you are performing. For no one who seeks to make a reputation for himself does anything in secret. If you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” (For not even his own brothers believed in him.)

So Jesus replied, “My time has not yet arrived, but you are ready at any opportunity! The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I am testifying about it that its deeds are evil. You go up to the feast yourselves. I am not going up to this feast because my time has not yet fully arrived.” When he had said this, he remained in Galilee.

But when his brothers had gone up to the feast, then Jesus himself also went up, not openly but in secret.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Jesus clearly confirmed the Flood was LITERAL!

Matthew 24:37-39
37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away,

Reactions: TheHC

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
What a mess.
Not exactly a beach anyone would want to visit.
Will anything be done to clean up the mess and prevent it in the future?
I suppose the lumber industry (forestry) should be held responsible.
But it may be difficult to enforce.

/
Yes, massive chipping machines and excavators have been at work. Tighter regulations around forestry work are expected. Progress is slow but locals work together to restore the environment.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a great question. Most people won't like the answer, but in context it's fascinating.

The religious leaders are asking about his disciples and his teaching-- much of which runs counter to their own understanding, practice and teaching. His answer is--- Go ask those I've been teaching. I've been teaching everywhere, in the synagogues, at the temple, the countryside, in public, in private..... go ask the people I've taught, what I've said....

The truth is, he often taught in secret. Or he would teach one thing publicly, then explain the meaning (in secret) to only a small group or individuals. He would tell some things, only to some people, and withhold those same things from others. Secondly-- there's the matter of his own understanding. "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Where did he get his teaching?"

"My teaching is not my own, but His who sent me."

The word (logos) that filled him came to him (in secret) and it was this wisdom that came from within that he shared with others. And in fact, it's the very reason that he spoke and taught through parable (allegory) -- in order to hide the true meaning of otherwise superficial stories. He did it on purpose and almost all the time. So his statement to the religious leaders, wasn't exactly truthful. Not entirely. And I know that this flies in the face of many believers, but they would do themselves a great favor by believing the truth and avoid the sugar-coatings that have come with time.

The work-around is contained below. Concerning these 'secrets' that Jesus knew-- he revealed to others, so in that sense he was a revealer of secrets. And when he shared his hidden knowledge, he told others to tell others.

Do not be afraid of them, for nothing is hidden that will not be revealed, and nothing is secret that will not be made known. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light, and what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the housetops.

On occasion he would heal a man--and instruct them to tell no one. (Keep it a secret-Matt 8:4).
When he raised the child from the dead-- he ordered the parents not to tell anyone. (Luke 8:56)

Sometimes his secrets had expiration dates. “Do not tell anyone about the vision until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.”

And so on....
Honesty is a Christian value, but there is no command against withholding information, or allowing people to misunderstand.

You might contend that's within the spirit of the Law... but that's not true either. The idea behind the commandment "thou shalt not bear false witness" was to establish a judicial system for Israel. It's a prohibition on using the legal system against enemies. Jesus did not do this.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honesty is a Christian value, but there is no command against withholding information, or allowing people to misunderstand.

You might contend that's within the spirit of the Law... but that's not true either. The idea behind the commandment "thou shalt not bear false witness" was to establish a judicial system for Israel. It's a prohibition on using the legal system against enemies. Jesus did not do this.

Okay Wick. Case dismissed on a technicality. Is that it?

Would that then include, saying one thing-- then doing another?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's an example they can't get around. If it was anyone but Jesus, they'd call it a straight out lie.

Now the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles was near. So Jesus’ brothers advised him, “Leave here and go to Judea so your disciples may see your miracles that you are performing. For no one who seeks to make a reputation for himself does anything in secret. If you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” (For not even his own brothers believed in him.)

So Jesus replied, “My time has not yet arrived, but you are ready at any opportunity! The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I am testifying about it that its deeds are evil. You go up to the feast yourselves. I am not going up to this feast because my time has not yet fully arrived.” When he had said this, he remained in Galilee.

But when his brothers had gone up to the feast, then Jesus himself also went up, not openly but in secret.
Good example. I forgot about that one. That makes two.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea behind the commandment "thou shalt not bear false witness" was to establish a judicial system for Israel. It's a prohibition on using the legal system against enemies. Jesus did not do this.
Interesting point. Most Christians don't understand that commandment.
Like you say, "It's a prohibition on using the legal system against enemies."
Or I would say, giving false testimony to the authorities to get someone in trouble with the law.
Giving false (or misleading) testimony against another.

/

Fillan

Feb 12, 2023
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Literal. For example the Seven Days of Creation is the origin of our seven day week:

Exodus 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Every week is a reminder to us of that first week of Creation. God Bless You All :)

Reactions: St. SteVen and Jack