God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incomprehensible

All this talk of accusation and condemnation is ridiculous. If the testimony of Scripture pricks your conscience, you need to take it up with Jesus. Otherwise there is nothing to talk about. I have said nothing to warrant your accusations. I merely testify. I have not once questioned any single person's standing with God. All the name-calling (Sabbath Commandos, etc.) stands as a document of the spirit that actuates the name-caller. If you can do nothing but spout vagueries, why bother participating?

I'll tell you why. You are doing exactly what you have accused Sabbath-keepers of doing: Contentious behavior. You have posted 58 times in this thread. Why act as if you are above reproach?
My mistake. I must have wrongly lumped you in with several others who have stated plainly we are judged guilty with the unbelievers, by not keeping the Sabbath.

I apologize.

And so, are any not saved, nor will be found naked and not washed in the blood in that day, because they do not keep a Sabbath, either by ignorance or by refusal to do so by commandment?

Why act as if you are above reproach?

I don't and I am not. I am however immune to men's doctrines put forth for Scripture.

You do fine, so long as you promote the blessing and benefit of keeping a Sabbath, even as by commandment. And since you do not condemn others that don't as transgressors and unworthy of the Lamb, then we are only in disagreement about the Sabbath being commandment of law today for Christians to obey.

Or do you condemn others that don't? And why not, as others do?

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This post is worth only as exhibit of evidence for the record. If I may advise you, for your own good you may remain silent. Everything you say may be used as evidence against you.
This post is worth only as an exhibit of a non-answer, due to no response to Scripture.

It is the common childishness of them that are not sincere in the Scriptures, but only have mantras to recite and to condemn others by.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In your zeal to war against the Sabbath, you have directly contradicted Scripture:

For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath. (Matthew 12:8)
Thank you. It's not often, but you when it comes, I must stand corrected.

The son of man was the Lord of the Sabbath on earth.

The risen Son of God is not. Else His body is now Lord of the Sabbath on earth.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Embracing the gospel and observing the Sabbath
But is insistence on Sabbath observance—particularly the biblical seventh day—legalistic? Can biblical insistence on a particular lifestyle—compassion, love, going the second mile, the Beatitudes—be legalistic? The answer is yes and no and is de pendent on the motivation. A legalist keeps the law or follows a particular lifestyle as a way of salvation. But no amount of keeping Sabbath or any other commandment can save a person. Salvation is possible only through the gospel of Jesus Christ, for "it is the power of God for salvation to every one who has faith" (Rom. 1:16). "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God— not because of works, lest any man should boast" (Eph. 2:8).

Pharisees accused Jesus of breaking the law because He healed on Sabbath (Luke 6:6-11; Mark 3:3-6; John 5:1-16; etc.), and Jesus' answer in each case was consistent with the meaning of Sabbath, that it was a day to bring glory to God and not to indulge in self. The miracles of Jesus showed the real purpose of His coming: to restore and re deem life. The Pharisaic obsession was legalism; the attitude of Jesus was grace in action. God could not for a moment stay His hand, or man would faint and die. And man also has a work to perform on this day. The necessities of life must be attended to, the sick must be cared for, the wants of the needy must be supplied. He will not be held guiltless who neglects to relieve suffering on the Sabbath. God's holy rest day was made for man, and acts of mercy are in perfect harmony with its intent. God does not desire His creatures to suffer an hour's pain that maybe relieved upon the Sabbath or any other day.

Christian discipleship is not achievement of a moral status, but the reception of Christ's calling; it is not moral perfection, but an abiding in Him. It is a love relationship with Jesus. Once that abiding is established, fruit follows as a natural course. The principle is a simple one: first love, then its fruit; first grace, then obedience. Obedience does not produce love; love produces obedience. Obedience does not bring about forgiveness; grace does that. Any attempt to distort the order inevitably leads to legalism. And in rejecting legalism, any bid to deny obedience its role in discipleship turns to cheap grace. Christian discipleship has no room for either the heresy of legalism or the illusion of cheap grace.

Thus a Christian, who loves the Lord and who is saved by His grace, will obey the Lord. The embrace of the gospel is the first step; the observance of the Sabbath is an inevitable follow-up — a delight in the Lord. For the Sabbath is an exodus from tension, a sanctuary in time, a palace in time with a kingdom for all, and its observance the coronation of a day in the spiritual wonder land of time.

We can come to that wonderland only when we have first been to the cross.
But no amount of keeping Sabbath or any other commandment can save a person.

And so, no amount of not keeping the Sabbath can judge a person as a transgressor and condemn as an unbeliever?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Robert,

Shouldn’t anyone who doesn’t adhere to the teachings of Scripture be judged and condemned?

Mary
Absolutely. Therefore, we are not to even keep company with them called a Christian, that is a fornicator, idolater, drunkard, covetous

And those who judge and condemn others by their own teachings are called false accusers of the brethren.

And they do not keep company with them that do not obey their teachings: separatist false accusers, having not the Spirit.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath gives me identity
Let us begin at the beginning: "And on the seventh day God finished his work which he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all his work which he had done in creation" (Gen. 2:2-3).

The seventh-day Sabbath shows that God is my Creator. A scientist may say I am "an accidental collocation of atoms." A philosopher may trace my life to a first principle. A poet may say that life is "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." But the truth is that I am made in the image of God, and the Sabbath continually reminds me of that magnificent fact. It invites me to enter into God's rest, even as it invited Adam and Eve. Sabbath is to join the Creator in celebrating the joy of life and to recognize forever that life comes not as a result of our work but as a gift of God's grace.

As Barth says: "[Human] history under the command of God really begins with the gospel and not with the law, with an ac corded celebration and not a required task, with a prepared rejoicing and not with care and toil, with a freedom given to him and not an imposed obligation, with a rest and not with an activity.... The first divine action which man is allowed to witness is that God rested on the seventh day and blessed and hallowed it. And the first word said to him, the first obligation brought to his notice, is that without any works or merits he himself may rest with God and then go to his work."

The One who made us also made the Sabbath. He rested on it. It was not a day of drudgery, but one of delight, an experience of supreme joy that can come only when one communes heart-to-heart with one's Creator. Adam and Eve along with "the morning stars sang together, and the sons of God shouted for joy" (Job 38:7), and bowed be fore their Creator in worship and adoration on that first Sabbath.

Could worship, praise, adoration, and fellowship be anything but a joyful experience—acknowledging the sovereignty of the Creator on the one hand and our identity as members of God's family on the other? Nowhere is this relationship between Sabbath and joy, between obedience to God and delight of the soul, stated more eloquently than in Isaiah 58:13-14: "If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight and the holy day of the Lord honorable; if you honor it, not going your own ways, or seeking your own plea sure, or talking idly; then you shall take delight in the Lord, and I will make you ride upon the heights of the earth; I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

This passage is addressed to God's people. They did not become God's people because they were keeping the Sabbath. They were God's own because God had created them and chosen them. To acknowledge that choice, to cement the relationship that arises out of it, God calls upon us to keep the Sabbath. Thus Sabbath is no legalistic stricture. It is a point in the line of time through eternity to remind us continually of our special relationship with God. And it is "a delight in the Lord."
The Sabbath gives me identity

Let them talk long enough, and they say it plainly.

Sabbath keeping by commandment makes them special.

And there name is made by their own identity: Sabbath keepers.

Christ Jesus gives me my identity and name in Him: Christian

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no law of God against the great commandments of God. You must be crazy
True. I forgot who I was dealing with. There is a commandment against the great commandments: the Sabbath keeper commandment.

That commandment is against any that fulfill the royal law to love our neighbors as ourselves.

So, to clarify, there is no law of God against them that keep His greatest commandments by faith of Jesus.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By the grace of God I believe in the God Who is the Lord of the Sabbath, Jesus Christ the WORD and LAW of God.
Therefore and accordingly I am reminded of "the day the Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD" "according to the LAW and Testimony" of the "Faithful Witness" our Redeemer Jesus Christ, through the Power of His Holy Spirit.

How can I confess Jesus my Lord and Saviour but oppose and deny his Lordship of the Event and Day that He "greatly triumphed" in, the day He "made" for Eternal Purpose and Glory HIS OWN? I would oppose and deny my own Salvation, "the Salvation of the Lord" wherein He, greatly triumphed!
Another non-answer followed by learned mantra.

Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers, and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man. If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day? Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

The argument of Sabbath commanders about keeping the commandment of the sabbath, without being required to keep the whole law of Moses, is that those commandments are eternal and separate from the 'regular' law of God from the mount.

There is no Scripture stating that. It is a construct to keep a commandment of the law, without keeping the whole law.

And yet Scripture places all such commandments within the law. Circumcision as Jesus points out was not given by Moses in the law, but rather by God to Abraham as a token of His covenant of promise with him.

That law of commandments written on stone have been done away for the greater law of Christ, who's commandments are written on our hearts, and given to the apostles to write for us on paper.

No Sabbath command written. Therefore gone.

And yet, Jesus says that circumcision must be done on the 8th day, else the law is broken. Not a covenant token, but the law of Moses. Circumcision given by covenant with Abraham became subordinate to the law given by God to Moses.

And the Sabbath, which did not become commandment until the wilderness after Abraham received circumcision, is clearly subordinated to circumcision, that the law be not broken.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. Therefore, we are not to even keep company with them called a Christian, that is a fornicator, idolater, drunkard, covetous

And those who judge and condemn others by their own teachings are called false accusers of the brethren.

And they do not keep company with them that do not obey their teachings: separatist false accusers, having not the Spirit.
Great, we agree.

So who, in the year 2021, has the authority to judge what a heretical teaching is and decide who we are not to keep company with?

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law was changed with the priesthood. It was changed from that of outward commandment and letter that only condemns and kills, to that of the Spirit written in hearts, that only blesses.

A carnal commandment is any commandment of law that judges outward obedience only. The whole law of Moses was made of carnal commandments written on stone, and ministered death and condemnation only: the old covenant was made after the law of carnal commandment.

A carnal commandment cannot give life, nor promise faith in the heart. Those who obey such carnal commandments do so from carnal mindedness, that is not subject to the law of the Spirit of life, neither can be.

No such carnal commandments to obey outwardly are written in the law of Christ by His apostles.

Circumcision is no more circumcision of God outwardly, but only inwardly by the Spirit. And Sabbath is no more Sabbath of God outwardly, but only inwardly in the Spirit: the day of God's rest, where we rest from our own outward works of obedience to carnal commandments, that have been done away by the risen God of Israel who gave them on the mount to a carnal people to obey.

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

This is any day to rejoice and be glad in. The carnal mind waits for a future day to do so.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great, we agree.

So who, in the year 2021, has the authority to judge what a heretical teaching is and decide who we are not to keep company with?
Scripture.

The same One from the beginning: The Word.

And we should not bear that sword in vain, so as to make judgment by appearance based on what we think and believe only.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All 10 Commandments are still valid and will be forever.

That's why God made an epic drama of the giving and writing of them...

22Moses-Receiving-the-Law-on-Mount-Sinai22-by-Benjamin-West-1-729x486.jpg

...in Stone.
1.jpg

The most obvious symbolism of an eternal Law in all of history.

Genesis 2:2-3 God blessed the Seventh Day
Exodus 31:17 God made it a sign between He and the Israelites (those who worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and 'Jacob' [Israel]) FOREVER.
Isaiah 66:23 We will still be keeping the 7th Day Sabbath in Heaven.

Last edited:

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read in Acts 13:42, 44
42) And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
44) And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Please note that the Jews gathered together on the seventh day of the week [Saturday] and also note the term "next" in Strong's Concordance means "between" therefore, in this case, "next/between sabbaths" would mean the day after Saturday will have to mean Sunday the first day of the week.

Now the most significant and profound Scripture reference concerning the change from Saturday Sabbath to Sunday Sabbath worship [which BTW, can't be seen in the English translation] is Matthew 28:1 that reads:
"In the end of the sabbath as it began to dawn towards the first day of the week came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher."

Please note that the printer is warning the English reader that words in italicize in the KJV Bible, are not in the original manuscripts. Also note that the word "week" is the plural Hebrew word "sabaton" that can be proven.

Hence, Matthew 28:1 can be rendered thus:
"In the end of the sabbaths as it began to dawn towards the first of the sabbaths came Mary..."

Now Matthew 28:1 seems to be in harmony and that God teaches us that He changed the Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to the First Day Sabbath which to us is Sunday.

To God Be The Glory

Ironically, the plural Sabbaths is the same thing some use to prove there was more than one Sabbath between Jesus' death and resurrection. The first one was the annual Feast of Unleavened Bread and the second was the weekly Sabbath. The book of Matthew was written from a Jewish perspective and as such, would not have understood a weekly Sunday Sabbath. Secondly, even if Sunday was a "new Sabbath" that later revelation would illuminate this passage, it states they came at the beginning of the day so there is no way it could have been over yet. We can consider other evidence, but this by itself is very weak.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Conclusive Summary of certain kinds of posters in this thread:

Barny Fife: Confirmed Uncertain Seventh day Adventist stereotype

Robert Derrick: Utterly Boring Confirmed Charismatic stereotype

ReChoired: Confirmed Confused Seventh day Adventist stereotype

None of whom paid one minute's attention to the real bone of contention,
to Christianity the Unacceptable Truth that Jesus
"when in the fullness of the weekly Sabbath
"the day which is after the Preparation
("which is the Fore-Sabbath of the Jews,)
"the third day HE, Our Passover, SAID,
"He would after three days in thick darkness
"in the heart of the earth, RISE ON,
"in the mid-afternoon being daylight inclining
"towards the First Day of the week."

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What kind of cognitive dissonance concludes something like this from scriptures like this:

"Remember the Sabbath, to keep it holy..." (Exodus 20:8)
Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind. (Ecclesiastes 12:13)

Good luck with the loopholes.
If you are an Israelite reading only Moses of old, then obey it as the covenant of old. It would be your duty to God to obey the law of the Moses, which included the commandment of the Sabbath.

But, I am a believer in Jesus Christ only, and only keep that Word and Scripture and doctrine and law and commandment, which He gave to His chosen apostles to write to us for our good.

No Sabbath command is written by any apostle.

And so, if there is an apostle today commanding Sabbath for Christians to obey, then it is a false apostle, putting himself forth as an angel of light of Sabbath day keeping, which is carnal darkness indeed.

You are a child playing at law, who makes no difference between Covenant Scripture of old by the God of Israel to a carnal seed, and Covenant Scripture of the new made by the risen God of Israel to seed born after the Spirit.

Your outwardly obeyed Sabbath is no more Sabbath of God, than any outward circumcision of the flesh.

You make commandment and duty for Christians, where no commandment nor duty is written by any apostle, and therefore you make transgressors out of the guiltless and are a false accuser of the brethren:

And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

The judgment and accusations of your father you will do.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All 10 Commandments are still valid and will be forever.

That's why God made an epic drama of the giving and writing of them...

22Moses-Receiving-the-Law-on-Mount-Sinai22-by-Benjamin-West-1-729x486.jpg

...in Stone.
1.jpg

The most obvious symbolism of an eternal Law in all of history.

Genesis 2:2-3 God blessed the Seventh Day
Exodus 31:17 God made it a sign between He and the Israelites (those who worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and 'Jacob' [Israel]) FOREVER.
Isaiah 66:23 We will still be keeping the 7th Day Sabbath in Heaven.
..in Stone. The most obvious symbolism of an eternal Law in all of history.

Which writing in stone has been done away. To make way for better writing in hearts. (2 Cor 3:7-11)

God made it a sign between He and the Israelites (those who worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and 'Jacob' [Israel]) FOREVER.

And circumcision he made a token between Himself and Abraham and His seed forever.

Circumcision and Sabbath are both now of the heart in the Spirit to worship God in Spirit and in truth.

But if you see yourself as an israelite after the flesh and a so-called Jew by outward circumcision, then it makes all perfect sense for you to be worshipping in the Jews Religion, thinking it to still be the covenant of God, since the Redeemer out of Sion has not yet come.

We will still be keeping the 7th Day Sabbath in Heaven

So every day will be Saturday or Sunday?

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

This is the day I worship Jesus in. Everyday with the Lord is Sabbath of the Lord.

Unless you determine it to be only one day.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John commanded it as a duty.

"Those who claim to abide in Him must walk (live) even as He walked (lived)."
1 John 2:6

Jesus observed the 7th Day Sabbath His entire life and His disciples not only stopped preparing His body for burial to observe the Sabbath, but those that came after them continued to observe it for about 300 years after as well.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John commanded it as a duty.

"Those who claim to abide in Him
must
walk (live) even as He walked (lived)."
1 John 2:6

Jesus observed the 7th Day Sabbath His entire life and His disciples not only stopped preparing His body for burial to observe the Sabbath, but those that came after them continued to observe it for about 300 years after as well.
Jesus went into Synagogues on the sabbath day, where every Jew would be according to law of Moses.

Where is your synagogue?