God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus went into Synagogues on the sabbath day, where every Jew would be according to law of Moses.

Where is your synagogue?

Don't need one.

“Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son nor daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.”

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't need one.

“Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son nor daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns.”
Then you are a hypocrite for not walking exactly has He did as a Jew on earth.

People who divide the word of truth apart from itself, for their own imaginations, no nothing about rightly dividing the word of truth.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a good question. Admittedly above my pay grade.

Ask God or Isaiah.
Isaiah 66:23
They don't know either. It's your doctrine, not theirs'.

And since you have decided which day it is to be on earth, then which will it be in heaven?

Or are you just a proselyte who doesn't know why you believe what you repeat to others?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you are a hypocrite for not walking exactly has He did as a Jew on earth.
Jesus obeyed the 10 Commandments. They are HIS Commandments.

Must I also be a Jew now? Is that the rule you're making up as you go along?

His Spirit guides us as we obey His Commands. If we are out of line, He lets us know.
They don't know either. It's your doctrine, not theirs'.

And since you have decided which day it is to be on earth, then which will it be in heaven?

It is God's doctrine. He chose the day.

Man changed it.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it is God's doctrine. He chose the day.

If it is God's doctrine and if you have read Matthew 28:1, why then do you not believe Matthew 28 to be Scripture and that He changed the Seventh Day to the First Day of the Week; although we cannot see that in our English Bible?

Is God not capable to change dates as He sees fit or is Matthew 28 NOT Scripture?

Man changed it.

Do you honestly believe men can change times and dates? That is Satan's sin!

To God Be The Glory

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I accepted Jesus as my personal Saviour at the age of 8. The Gospel had an overwhelming impact on me

Already your theology and gospel are suspect! The true Gospel is circumscribed in Ephesian i:1-6:
1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are in Ephesus, and to the faithful which are in Christ Jesus:
2) Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ
3) Blessed be the God and, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4) According as He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5) Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6) To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he has made us accepted in the beloved.

Where in the passages above does it stipulate anyone can "accept" the Lord Jesus, and become saved? Yes, this is today's teachings in Christendom! "Accept the Lord Jesus Christ and say the sinner's prayer and you will be saved!" Well, now "Who is the king maker, man or God?

O Lord blot them out from the Book of the Living!!!

the Sabbath points to my eternal rest in God.

Yes this term has been beaten down to the ground, yet time and again in this thread, I've asked, "What is the character and nature of the term "in Jesus we have eternal rest?" And no one seems to know. Some tried but they just stumble like the rest.

As Barth says

Paul I know but who is Barth?

The first divine action which man is allowed to witness is that God rested on the seventh day and blessed and hallowed it.

Why was man allowed to witness, as you put it, that God rested on the seventh day and blessed and hallowed it? Was there a spiritual significance and if there was, what was it?

In fact there is. Just think of the Seventh Day Sabbath as not to do any kinds of work as opposed to the First Day of the Week as intense work which you have already alluded to in post #1172, which also I have alluded to early in this OP.

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Ironically, the plural Sabbaths is the same thing some use to prove there was more than one Sabbath between Jesus' death and resurrection. The first one was the annual Feast of Unleavened Bread and the second was the weekly Sabbath. The book of Matthew was written from a Jewish perspective and as such, would not have understood a weekly Sunday Sabbath. Secondly, even if Sunday was a "new Sabbath" that later revelation would illuminate this passage, it states they came at the beginning of the day so there is no way it could have been over yet. We can consider other evidence, but this by itself is very weak.

Pisidia was where the Jews' time to accept the Messiah finally had run out. The time of year was the time of the Great Day of Atonement.
AS
, during the time of passover there were two sabbaths in the first week of the passover - the one the last day or "the weekly Sabbath" (16th day of Abib), and the day in the week ("inbetween") before the Sabbath -, "the sabbath that day great-day-of-sabbath-of" the passover -
SO, during this time in Pisidia three and halve years later during the feast of the summer's harvest in the Seventh Month the tenth and eleventh days, were consecutive sabbaths, the one the last day of the week Sabbath and the day in the week "inbetween" before the Sabbath, the "INBETWEEN-sabbath" of the feast round the Day of Atonement.
upload_2021-8-15_12-2-57.png

What makes the Pisidia incidence so awesomely significant, is that the Weekly Sabbath - "the next Sabbath" after "the inbetween-sabbath" -, that Luke describes it, "THE TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD SABBATH" in clearest distinction possible to the 'ceremonial sabbath' of the MONTH in the week "inbetween" the two weekly Sabbaths at the time.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Don't need one.

upload_2021-8-15_10-37-31.png

217241289_10209390861764750_4530693371389424013_n.jpg

Reactions: GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is God's doctrine and if you have read Matthew 28:1, why then do you not believe Matthew 28 to be Scripture and that He changed the Seventh Day to the First Day of the Week; although we cannot see that in our English Bible?

All Matthew 28:1 says is that the Sabbath day ended and the 1st day of the week began. It supports 7th Day Sabbath doctrine fully.
Is God not capable to change dates as He sees fit or is Matthew 28 NOT Scripture?
God didn't change any dates and Matthew 28 is scripture.

Do you honestly believe men can change times and dates? That is Satan's sin!
The Catholic Church has boldly CLAIMED to have changed the Sabbath Day to Sunday. It is well documented and well-known. Scripture speaks of the Pope when it describes the Man of Sin changing times and dates.

Reactions: ReChoired

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mistake. I must have wrongly lumped you in with several others who have stated plainly we are judged guilty with the unbelievers, by not keeping the Sabbath.

I apologize.

And so, are any not saved, nor will be found naked and not washed in the blood, because they do not keep a Sabbath, either by ignorance or by refusal to do so by commandment?
Heaven will welcome millions who never kept a single Sabbath. What has that to do with you and me today? Apology accepted, of course. :)
Thank you. It's not often, but you when it comes, I must stand corrected.

The son of man was the Lord of the Sabbath on earth.

The risen Son of God is not. Else His body is now Lord of the Sabbath on earth.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)

The way you reason, one would think you don't know Scripture very well. Surely that can't be the case. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But no amount of keeping Sabbath or any other commandment can save a person.

And so, no amount of not keeping the Sabbath can judge a person as a transgressor and condemn as an unbeliever?
Only what the Bible says matters--not your or my rationalizing or twisting of Scripture. Peter warns of this, especially regarding the writings of Paul. And yet, you almost never hear anyone admit to not understanding any part of his work. I don't understand much of what he writes. :)
The Sabbath gives me identity

Let them talk long enough, and they say it plainly.

Sabbath keeping by commandment makes them special.

And there name is made by their own identity: Sabbath keepers.

Christ Jesus gives me my identity and name in Him: Christian

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
Nonsense. I am not special, except in the sense that everyone is special. The seventh-day Sabbath shows that God is your Creator, too, whether you keep it or not. :)
The judgment and accusations of your father you will do.
Witness the evagelicals' words long enough and they will call your standing with God into question.

Most of them can't resist it.

I'm assuming you're claiming that I am the devil's son. Nice.
:)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are an Israelite reading only Moses of old, then obey it as the covenant of old. It would be your duty to God to obey the law of the Moses, which included the commandment of the Sabbath.

But, I am a believer in Jesus Christ only, and only keep that Word and Scripture and doctrine and law and commandment, which He gave to His chosen apostles to write to us for our good.

No Sabbath command is written by any apostle.

And so, if there is an apostle today commanding Sabbath for Christians to obey, then it is a false apostle, putting himself forth as an angel of light of Sabbath day keeping, which is carnal darkness indeed.

You are a child playing at law, who makes no difference between Covenant Scripture of old by the God of Israel to a carnal seed, and Covenant Scripture of the new made by the risen God of Israel to seed born after the Spirit.

Your outwardly obeyed Sabbath is no more Sabbath of God, than any outward circumcision of the flesh.

You make commandment and duty for Christians, where no commandment nor duty is written by any apostle, and therefore you make transgressors out of the guiltless and are a false accuser of the brethren:

And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

The judgment and accusations of your father you will do.
I have been careful not to call your salvation into question. I have also avoided name-calling and direct insults.

Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me? (John 18:23)

Try not to use disjointed Scripture.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Already your theology and gospel are suspect! The true Gospel is circumscribed in Ephesian i:1-6:
1) Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are in Ephesus, and to the faithful which are in Christ Jesus:
2) Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ
3) Blessed be the God and, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4) According as He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5) Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6) To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he has made us accepted in the beloved.

Where in the passages above does it stipulate anyone can "accept" the Lord Jesus, and become saved? Yes, this is today's teachings in Christendom! "Accept the Lord Jesus Christ and say the sinner's prayer and you will be saved!" Well, now "Who is the king maker, man or God?

O Lord blot them out from the Book of the Living!!!

Yes this term has been beaten down to the ground, yet time and again in this thread, I've asked, "What is the character and nature of the term "in Jesus we have eternal rest?" And no one seems to know. Some tried but they just stumble like the rest.

Paul I know but who is Barth?

Why was man allowed to witness, as you put it, that God rested on the seventh day and blessed and hallowed it? Was there a spiritual significance and if there was, what was it?

In fact there is. Just think of the Seventh Day Sabbath as not to do any kinds of work as opposed to the First Day of the Week as intense work which you have already alluded to in post #1172, which also I have alluded to early in this OP.

To God Be The Glory
The Gospel is not restricted to your favorite reiteration of it. I am not in the OSAS camp, either. Since you call my salvation into question as retaliation to Sabbath observance and witness, I can't see any point in responding to all your hostile questions, since it would only be seen as an attempt to defend my standing with God, which you've already decided. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath is really all about love—love for the Creator and love for others—and all love relationships need quality time in order to survive, right?

So it makes sense that family should factor in as a very important part of the Sabbath. The restful nature of this day creates the perfect framework to reconnect with loved ones. Families can worship together, enjoy the beauty and wonder of God’s creation as a family unit, and support each other in finding ways to help others on the Sabbath.

Here are some great ways you can celebrate the Sabbath with your family:

• Go to church; worshiping together produces vital strength in your relationship with God and with each other.
  • Surprise a church visitor or two with a warm invitation to join you for dinner.
  • Study the Bible together in ways that involve the whole family. Take turns reading a few verses, and then discuss them together and let each person express what those verses mean to them. If you have very young kids, read from a children’s Bible so they can understand.
  • Pray together as a family, and let each person add a thought or two to the prayer based on their own needs and thankfulness.
  • Get outside and enjoy nature! On Friday nights, get behind a telescope or binoculars and take in God’s magnificent universe. After church, go to a park and enjoy a picnic. On Sabbath afternoons, find a walkway, or enjoy the wonders of creation right in your own backyard. Go for a hike, watch birds and animals, or collect rocks, wildflowers, or leaves.
  • Listen to age-appropriate inspirational music together. If you play an instrument, why not “make a joyful noise” to the Lord?
  • Write a note of encouragement to a sick or elderly person, or go to visit the elderly in nursing homes.
  • Visit friends or church members who are in the hospital or stuck at home. Cheer them up and pray with them.
  • Keep a notebook and start listing all the things your family is thankful for. Give everyone a chance to contribute to the list.
  • Hand out encouraging books, literature, or Christian DVDs to your neighbors.
  • On bad-weather days, try playing Bible games, solving Bible crosswords, memorizing a Bible passage and then reciting it, putting together a nature puzzle, acting out Bible scenes, or reading Christian books.

Sabbath is the day we should set aside all the distractions of the world, so we can draw close to Jesus and learn from Him. With our focus on the Creator, we can honor Him and His special day as a family, and God promises we will be greatly blessed!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tick, tock; tick, tock; tick, tock. The clock ticked steadily and mercilessly. Only two hours before Sabbath would begin. Mary sighed as she surveyed the small apartment. The kids’ toys were still lying all around the living room; the kitchen was a mess; Sarah, their youngest, lay in bed with a fever; and tomorrow she had agreed to serve as a greeter in their church, which meant that they had to leave home 30 minutes before the normal time. I wish I could find some quietness tomorrow, Mary thought wistfully.

At the same time, on the other side of town, Josh, Mary’s husband, was standing in line to pay for their weekly groceries. Traffic had again been a nightmare. The checkout lines were long. Everyone seemed to do their shopping right at this moment. I need some rest, I can’t go on like this, Josh groaned inwardly. There must be more to this life.

Our lives are governed by rush hours, work hours, medical appointments, virtual conversations, shopping, and school functions. Whether we use public transport, ride a small scooter, or steer a minivan to ferry around our families, the drumbeat of constant engagement with the world around us threatens to drown out what’s really important.

How do we find rest amid so much hustle and bustle?

Worn and Weary

Read Genesis 2:1-3. Why would God create a rest day before anyone was even tired?

Even before humanity would dash off on our self-imposed stressful lives, God established a marker, a living way to jog our memory. This day would be a time to stop and deliberately enjoy life; a day to be and not to do, a day to especially celebrate the gift of grass, air, wildlife, water, people, and, most of all, the Creator of every good gift.

This was no one-time invitation that expired with the exile from Eden. God wanted to make sure that the invitation could stand the test of time, and so right from the beginning He knit the Sabbath rest into the very fabric of time. There would always be the invitation, again and again, to a restful celebration of Creation every seventh day.

One would think that with all our labor-saving devices that we should be less physically tired than people were two hundred years ago. But, actually, rest seems to be in short supply even today. Even the moments when we aren’t working are spent in frantic activity. It always seems that we are somehow behind; no matter how much we manage to get done, there is always more to do.

Research shows, too, that we are getting less sleep, and many people are highly dependent on caffeine to keep going. Though we have faster cell phones, faster computers, faster internet connections, we still never seem to have enough time.

What do the following texts teach about why our having rest is important? Mark 6:31, Psalm 4:8, Exodus 23:12, Deuteronomy 5:14, and Matthew 11:28.

The God who created us knew that we would need physical rest. He built cycles into time — night, and Sabbath — to offer us a chance of physical rest. Acknowledging Jesus as the Lord of our lives also involves taking seriously our responsibility to make time to rest. After all, the Sabbath commandment isn’t merely a suggestion. It is a commandment!

What about your own harried existence? What can you do to better experience, both physically and spiritually, the rest that God wants us to have?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
All Matthew 28:1 says is that the Sabbath day ended and the 1st day of the week began. It supports 7th Day Sabbath doctrine fully.
You are seriously mistaken, so that if the Sabbath Day had ended and the 1st day of the week began, what followed, verses 2-4, was the Resurrection of Jesus on the First Day of the week -- WHICH IS CONTRARY what Matthew 28:1 and the context Matthew 27:62 to 64 and further uninterrupted and sequentially through 28:1-4 states, happened contuously, "ON THE SABBATH BEFORE the First Day" and NOT, <<after the Sabbath on the First Day>> AS THE GREAT LIE GOES.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are seriously mistaken, so that if the Sabbath Day had ended and the 1st day of the week began, what followed, verses 2-4, was the Resurrection of Jesus on the First Day of the week -- WHICH IS CONTRARY what Matthew 28:1 and the context Matthew 27:62 to 64 and further uninterrupted and sequentially through 28:1-4 states, happened contuously, "ON THE SABBATH BEFORE the First Day" and NOT, <<after the Sabbath on the First Day>> AS THE GREAT LIE GOES.

You guys really need to remember which screen name you're using when you post. One minute you're agreeing with somebody on a specific point, the next you're disagreeing with them on said point under the same screen name.

Here is Matthew 28:1 for all to see.
"In the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre."

Plain and simple. Says that the Sabbath ended and the first day of the week (Sunday) began.

Now work your voodoo and turn that into some CRAZY contention.