God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you aware of how extreme your stance is with regards the ten commandments? Are you aware how desperate you are to defend your hatred for God's commandments? Are you aware of how ridiculous your arguments are and how utterly illogical? Are you aware that the penalty for breaking the ten commandments is still death... See Romans 6:23.

Everything I said is accurate. That’s why Paul warned that if yiu put yourself under any part of the law, you become obligated to keep all of it - all 613 parts, and if you break even one part of it, yiu have broken all of it.

Paul flat out tells you that the Decalogue, given to Moses on the mountain, is the letter that kills, the ministry of death and condemnation, which He compares to the new covenant law of the spirit, which brings life. 2Corinthians 3.

And he states that the covenant given on mount Sinai is bondage and represents the slave woman Hagar, in Galatians 4:21- 31.

And Peter calls the law of Moses a yoke of bondage that neither they nor their fathers could bear, in Acts 15 when all the apostles held a council to discuss the Jewish converts claim that they and the gentile Christians needed to be circumcised and keep the law of Moses.

I know it’s an inconvenient truth we can’t cherry pick which parts of the law to keep, that it’s all one body of law, kept as one body of law, so that if the command is still in effect, then the law that commands it be kept and that demands the death penalty for breaking it, is still in effect.

How do we know traffic laws are still in effect? Because the penalties for breaking them are still in effect.

The claim that any law is in effect but not the penalty for breaking it, is ludicrous, and is like a cop saying the laws are still in effect and must be obeyed, but he just doesn’t enforce them.

And the old covenant had nothing to do with spiritual things, the death demanded by the law for breaking the sabbath and other commands, is physical death by stoning - not spiritual death.

Last edited:

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have the evidence or I wouldn’t have said it.

That reply was not meant to be definitive proof of what I said.

If he challenges and lists the specific claims he demands proof of, proof will be provided to him.
How you got all this rambling from me telling Backlit that I like the bird on his avatar is beyond me. Sorry for going off topic
I do that once in awhile to make comments to people I like.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So no spiritual rest for Israel in the OT? That's all assumption. No physical rest for believers in the NT? That's also an assumption.
That not assumption, that’s fact, and I gave scriptures.

Paul was not under the law of Moses, and bluntly says so - that around Jews he acts like he’s under the law, even though he isn’t under the law of Moses, but the law of Christ- and since he’s not under the law of Moses, he’s free to live as a gentile believer around gentiles.

1Co 9:18 What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

1Co 9:19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.

1Co 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.

1Co 9:21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.

1Co 9:22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.

1Co 9:23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.

Paul didn’t keep the sabbath, he’s not under the letter that kills and ministers death and condemnation 2 Corinthians 3, nor under the mount Sinai covenant of bondage that represents the slave woman Hagar. Galatians 4:21-31

Paul’s journies were solely to win souls for Jesus, and he went where there were crowds of Jews to preach to, in the synagogues of each city he visited, in Acts, and preached to them that Jesus is the messiah.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, not so.

The old covenant law was 613 statutes, ordinances and commands that all had to be kept down to tbd least jot and tittle, and was deliberately a burden, and a yoke of burden, and was an external law kept from fear of punishment and death for breaking it.
There is no consensus among Israel as to the Mitzvot 613 number, but I guess it sounds impressive to some people. Kinda makes it sound like you know what you're talking about.

and

Yeah, this sounds like an awful burden:

I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. (Psalms 40:8)

Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble. (Psalms 119:165)

Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live; For Your law is my delight. (Psalms 119:77)

SAMECH. I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love. (Psalms 119:113)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That not assumption, that’s fact, and I gave scriptures.

Paul was not under the law of Moses, and bluntly says so - that around Jews he acts like he’s under the law, even though he isn’t under the law of Moses, but the law of Christ- and since he’s not under the law of Moses, he’s free to live as a gentile believer around gentiles.

1Co 9:18 What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

1Co 9:19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.

1Co 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.

1Co 9:21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.

1Co 9:22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.

1Co 9:23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.

Paul didn’t keep the sabbath, he’s not under the letter that kills and ministers death and condemnation 2 Corinthians 3, nor under the mount Sinai covenant of bondage that represents the slave woman Hagar. Galatians 4:21-31
Paul’s journies were solely to win souls for Jesus, and he went where there were crowds of Jews to preach to, in the synagogues of each city he visited, in Acts, and preached to them that Jesus is the messiah.
Commandment-haters think they know what the term "under the law" means, but they won't tell you what all Paul really has to say about the law, because then they'd have to admit that his instruction is not as simple as modern commandment-hating.

Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. (Romans 7:12)

For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. (Romans 7:22)

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s the first thing Paul did after his conversion.

Act 9:19 and taking food, he was strengthened. For some days he was with the disciples at Damascus.

Act 9:20 And immediately he proclaimed Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.”

Act 9:21 And all who heard him were amazed and said, “Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem of those who called upon this name? And has he not come here for this purpose, to bring them bound before the chief priests?”

Paul and Barnabas:

Act 13:5 When they arrived at Salamis, they proclaimed the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews. And they had John to assist them.

And at Antioch Paul went into the synagogue and preached Jesus as their Messiah, and his entire sermon to them is given:

Act 13:13 Now Paul and his companions set sail from Paphos and came to Perga in Pamphylia. And John left them and returned to Jerusalem,

Act 13:14 but they went on from Perga and came to Antioch in Pisidia. And on the Sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down.

Act 13:15 After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the rulers of the synagogue sent a message to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have any word of encouragement for the people, say it.”

Act 13:16 So Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand said: “Men of Israel and you who fear God, listen.

Act 13:17 The God of this people Israel chose our fathers and made the people great during their stay in the land of Egypt, and with uplifted arm he led them out of it.

Act 13:18 And for about forty years he put up with them in the wilderness.

Act 13:19 And after destroying seven nations in the land of Canaan, he gave them their land as an inheritance.

Act 13:20 All this took about 450 years. And after that he gave them judges until Samuel the prophet.

Act 13:21 Then they asked for a king, and God gave them Saul the son of Kish, a man of the tribe of Benjamin, for forty years.

Act 13:22 And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, ‘I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.’

Act 13:23 Of this man's offspring God has brought to Israel a Savior, Jesus, as he promised.

Act 13:24 Before his coming, John had proclaimed a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.

Act 13:25 And as John was finishing his course, he said, ‘What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. No, but behold, after me one is coming, the sandals of whose feet I am not worthy to untie.’

Act 13:26 “Brothers, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you who fear God, to us has been sent the message of this salvation.

Act 13:27 For those who live in Jerusalem and their rulers, because they did not recognize him nor understand the utterances of the prophets, which are read every Sabbath, fulfilled them by condemning him.

Act 13:28 And though they found in him no guilt worthy of death, they asked Pilate to have him executed.

Act 13:29 And when they had carried out all that was written of him, they took him down from the tree and laid him in a tomb.

Act 13:30 But God raised him from the dead,

Act 13:31 and for many days he appeared to those who had come up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are now his witnesses to the people.

Act 13:32 And we bring you the good news that what God promised to the fathers,

Act 13:33 this he has fulfilled to us their children by raising Jesus, as also it is written in the second Psalm, “‘You are my Son, today I have begotten you.’

Act 13:34 And as for the fact that he raised him from the dead, no more to return to corruption, he has spoken in this way, “‘I will give you the holy and sure blessings of David.’

Act 13:35 Therefore he says also in another psalm, “‘You will not let your Holy One see corruption.’

Act 13:36 For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep and was laid with his fathers and saw corruption,

Act 13:37 but he whom God raised up did not see corruption.

Act 13:38 Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you,

Act 13:39 and by him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses.

Act 13:40 Beware, therefore, lest what is said in the Prophets should come about:

Act 13:41 “‘Look, you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a work in your days, a work that you will not believe, even if one tells it to you.’”

Act 13:42 As they went out, the people begged that these things might be told them the next Sabbath.

This is repeated over and over throughout Acts.

Paul preaching Jesus in the synagogues, and preaching Jesus in Greek cities to the gentiles.

That was his mission, given Him by Jesus.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes we rest in Christ's sufficiency in justifying us through His shed blood. That Israel's Sabbath rest in the OT was a shadow of this is another assumption. That it displaces the Commandment is another.

For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth: God established the pattern for the Sabbath at the time of creation. When He rested from His works on the seventh day, God made the seventh day a day of rest from all our works (Gen 2:3). But the most important purpose of the Sabbath was to serve as a shadow of the rest we have in Jesus.

i. Some claim that Christians are required to keep the Sabbath today. But the New Testament makes it clear that Christians are not under obligation to observe a Sabbath day (Col 2:16-17 and Gal 4:9-11), because Jesus fulfilled the purpose and plan of the Sabbath for us and in us (Heb 4:9-11).

ii. Gal 4:10 tells us that Christians are not bound to observe days and months and seasons and years. The rest we enter into as Christians is something to experience every day, not just one day a week - the rest of knowing we don’t have to work to save ourselves, but our salvation is accomplished in Jesus (Heb 4:9-10).

iii. The Sabbath commanded here and observed by Israel was a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ (Col 2:16-17). We have a rest in Jesus that is ours to live in every day. Therefore, since the shadow of the Sabbath is fulfilled in Jesus, we are free to keep any day - or no day - as a Sabbath after the custom of ancient Israel.

iv. However, though we are free from the legal obligation of the Sabbath, we dare not ignore the importance of a day of rest - God has built us so that we need one. Like a car that needs regular maintenance, we need regular rest - or we will not “wear” well. Some people are like high mileage cars that haven’t been maintained well, and it shows.

v. Some Christians are also dogmatic about observing Saturday as the Sabbath as opposed to Sunday. But because we are free to regard all days as given to God, it makes no difference. But in some ways, Sunday is more appropriate; being the day Jesus rose from the dead (Mar 16:9), and first met with His disciples (Joh 20:19), and a day when Christians gathered for fellowship (Act 20:7 and 1Co 16:2). Under Law, men worked towards God’s rest; but after Jesus’ finished work on the cross, the believer enters into rest and goes from that rest out to work.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Not according to James:

Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
(James 1:27)
I rest my case, because this verse supports it. Pure and undefiled binding.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
But JWs don’t take care of widows and orphans - they’re too busy knocking on doors to earn the kingdom, to do charity work.
I have been told first hand by JW's that their organisational abilities are unsurpassed worldwide. It is true that their mass annual conventions have earned them high praise for logistical modelling and implementation, and I suspect that this rides on the back of their religious zeal, as it does with similar cults.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth: God established the pattern for the Sabbath at the time of creation. When He rested from His works on the seventh day, God made the seventh day a day of rest from all our works (Gen 2:3). But the most important purpose of the Sabbath was to serve as a shadow of the rest we have in Jesus.

i. Some claim that Christians are required to keep the Sabbath today. But the New Testament makes it clear that Christians are not under obligation to observe a Sabbath day (Col 2:16-17 and Gal 4:9-11), because Jesus fulfilled the purpose and plan of the Sabbath for us and in us (Heb 4:9-11).

ii. Gal 4:10 tells us that Christians are not bound to observe days and months and seasons and years. The rest we enter into as Christians is something to experience every day, not just one day a week - the rest of knowing we don’t have to work to save ourselves, but our salvation is accomplished in Jesus (Heb 4:9-10).

iii. The Sabbath commanded here and observed by Israel was a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ (Col 2:16-17). We have a rest in Jesus that is ours to live in every day. Therefore, since the shadow of the Sabbath is fulfilled in Jesus, we are free to keep any day - or no day - as a Sabbath after the custom of ancient Israel.

iv. However, though we are free from the legal obligation of the Sabbath, we dare not ignore the importance of a day of rest - God has built us so that we need one. Like a car that needs regular maintenance, we need regular rest - or we will not “wear” well. Some people are like high mileage cars that haven’t been maintained well, and it shows.

v. Some Christians are also dogmatic about observing Saturday as the Sabbath as opposed to Sunday. But because we are free to regard all days as given to God, it makes no difference. But in some ways, Sunday is more appropriate; being the day Jesus rose from the dead (Mar 16:9), and first met with His disciples (Joh 20:19), and a day when Christians gathered for fellowship (Act 20:7 and 1Co 16:2). Under Law, men worked towards God’s rest; but after Jesus’ finished work on the cross, the believer enters into rest and goes from that rest out to work.
The weekly Sabbath cannot be any part of "Colossians 2:16" for several reasons. And although I am 100% certain that you have read and heard those reasons previously, and this have for some reason rejected them, I shall present them once again here.
  • The shadows were shadows of what? The redemption through Christ... The gospel. The whole sanctuary and everything pertaining to it, the priesthood, the Tabernacle itself, the two apartments, the furniture within and without them, the sacrifices, were all a pictorial demonstration of the gospel. All these were shown Moses on the mount after God has written the Ten Commandments on stone, and added no more. The sanctuary and sacrifices were given because the commandments weren't kept. Two distinct laws, the first the base standard, the second the remedy for transgression of the first.... Sin. The weekly Sabbath was established before sin, therefore could not have been designed or purposed as a remedy for something that hadn't happened.
  • Quote...But the most important purpose of the Sabbath was to serve as a shadow of the rest we have in Jesus... Is proved above to be nonsense, and yet even in the commandment itself out tells everyone why it was established...
    KJV Exodus 20:11
    11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Nothing in there about a shadow of anything to come, on the contrary, it's a memorial of creation. Later, in Deuteronomy, it becomes also a memorial of deliverance from bondage in Egypt.
  • Colossians 2: references
    KJV Colossians 2:14
    14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
    The Ten Commandments were not handwriting, they were written by the finger of God. Nor was the Sabbath ever against Israel, but as Jesus said, the Sabbath was made for man.

Reactions: BarneyFife

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The day of the LORD" found in Scripture refers to the Second Coming of Christ--not the 1st day of the week.

Isn't that what I've conveyed? Who said anything about the first day of the week? Isn't the Scripture references I've offered [Isaiah 11] speak of the Second Coming of Christ? Why then do you bear false witness and add / twist to things I've never said, is it because you do not hear my speech?

You have got to be kidding me. Now you're a mind reader? I've been a Sabbath-keeper for 31 years. Even if I hadn't found it myself long ago, don't you think one of my fellow Sabbath-keepers (there are millions of us, you know) would have pointed it out to me by now? Give me a break.

No. I'm not a mind reader! I make comments only to those who responds to my posts, also to those posts that needs a response just like anyone here in these forums. BTW, consensus does not make a thing right. Read about Elijah and the four hundred and fifty Baal prophets in 1 Kings 18.

To God Be The Glory

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The weekly Sabbath cannot be any part of "Colossians 2:16" for several reasons. And although I am 100% certain that you have read and heard those reasons previously, and this have for some reason rejected them, I shall present them once again here.
  • The shadows were shadows of what? The redemption through Christ... The gospel. The whole sanctuary and everything pertaining to it, the priesthood, the Tabernacle itself, the two apartments, the furniture within and without them, the sacrifices, were all a pictorial demonstration of the gospel. All these were shown Moses on the mount after God has written the Ten Commandments on stone, and added no more. The sanctuary and sacrifices were given because the commandments weren't kept. Two distinct laws, the first the base standard, the second the remedy for transgression of the first.... Sin. The weekly Sabbath was established before sin, therefore could not have been designed or purposed as a remedy for something that hadn't happened.
  • Quote...But the most important purpose of the Sabbath was to serve as a shadow of the rest we have in Jesus... Is proved above to be nonsense, and yet even in the commandment itself out tells everyone why it was established...
    KJV Exodus 20:11
    11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Nothing in there about a shadow of anything to come, on the contrary, it's a memorial of creation. Later, in Deuteronomy, it becomes also a memorial of deliverance from bondage in Egypt.
  • Colossians 2: references
    KJV Colossians 2:14
    14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
    The Ten Commandments were not handwriting, they were written by the finger of God. Nor was the Sabbath ever against Israel, but as Jesus said, the Sabbath was made for man.

Two scriptures cut to the chase about not having to keep the 7th day sabbath:

Gal 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Gal 4:10 Ye observe DAYS and months, and times, and years.

Gal 4:11 I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

Sabbaths, new moons, and set feasts” answer to “days, months, times.” 1Chronicles 23:31

1 Chronicles 23:31 (KJV)

31 And to offer all burnt sacrifices unto the LORD in the SABBATHS, in the NEW MOONS, and on the SET FEASTS, by number, according to the order commanded unto them, continually before the LORD:

The word sabbaths is word H7676 in Hebrew:

H7676 (Strong)

שַׁבָּת

shabbâth

shab-bawth'

Intensive from H7673; intermission, that is, (specifically) the Sabbath: - (+ every) sabbath.

Total KJV occurrences: 111

Thus Galatians 4:9-11 is talking about sabbaths that includes the weekly sabbaths.

Next:

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the SABBATH days:

Col 2:17 Which are a SHADOW of things to come; but the BODY isof Christ.

The word sabbath above, is H4521 in Strongs:

G4521 (Strong)

σάββατον

sabbaton

sab'-bat-on

Of Hebrew origin [H7676]; the Sabbath(that is, Shabbath), or day of WEEKLY reposefrom secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension a se'nnight, that is, the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications: - SABBATH (DAY), week.

Total KJV occurrences: 68

Colossians 2:16-17 states to let no one judge you for not keeping the sabbath day, because it’s a shadow of Jesus, (who’s the real rest for us Matthew 11:28-29 - every day we rest in Him, and no longer on a ceremonial day).

COL. 2: SABBATH DAYS

It starts with this verse:

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

two scholarly commentaries: Jameson-Faucet-Brown; and Albert Barnes, both agree the above scripture references the law of Moses - which of course includes all sabbaths that existed.

Now verse 16:

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Look at it with Strong’s numbers:

Col 2:16 Let no G3361  man G5100  therefore G3767  judge G2919  you G5209  in G1722  meat, G1035  or G2228  in G1722  drink, G4213  or G2228  in G1722  respect G3313  of an holyday, G1859  or G2228  of the new moon, G3561  or G2228  of the sabbath G4521  days:

Sabbath days is number G4521 in the Hebrew:

G4521 (Strongs)

σάββατον

sabbaton

sab'-bat-on

Of Hebrew origin [H7676]; the Sabbath(that is, Shabbath), or day of WEEKLY reposefrom secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension a se'nnight, that is, the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications: - sabbath (day), week.

Total KJV occurrences: 68

As you can see, the word SABBATHS in that verse includes the WEEKLY sabbath observance.

And the two verses taken together mean: Jesus nailed the law of Moses to His cross, THEREFORE let no man judge you for not keeping the sabbath days that Jesus took out of our way.

- Colossians 2:16 is about the weekly sabbath.

Period.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't that what I've conveyed? Who said anything about the first day of the week? Isn't the Scripture references I've offered [Isaiah 11] speak of the Second Coming of Christ? Why then do you bear false witness and add / twist to things I've never said, is it because you do not hear my speech?

No. I'm not a mind reader! I make comments only to those who responds to my posts, also to those posts that needs a response just like anyone here in these forums. BTW, consensus does not make a thing right. Read about Elijah and the four hundred and fifty Baal prophets in 1 Kings 18.

To God Be The Glory
It's like you're not even following the discussion. It is not what you've conveyed at all. You've talked about the Sabbath coming to the end of its significance since the OP because of your wild interpretation of Matthew 28:1, and Sunday (the 1st day of the week) being the Lord's day. And then you suddenly referred to the day of the Lord (Christ's 2nd coming) when we were talking about the Lord's day (which is the 7th day of the week, Saturday, the Sabbath of the LORD thy God).

And I said nothing relating to consensus. You said I didn't know about Christ resting in the grave over the Sabbath until you brought it up, and now you're refuting your own comment by saying consensus doesn't prove the point that I supposedly learned from you, which I never said was proved by consensus, only that I would have been aware of it with so many studying Sabbath-keepers around me. Any good book on the Sabbath mentions it.

If you persist in being non-communicative, I can't see any point in trying to have a discussion with you.

Now you will doubtlessly come up with some deflecting, sandbox type of statement. It's gotten very predictable. Unless, of course, you're very offended by my prediction.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:16 is about the weekly sabbath.

Period.
Colossians 2:16 is not about the weekly Sabbath. And saying "Period" afterwards won't make it any less erroneous.

Sabbath days. Gr. sabbata. This may represent either a genuine plural of the Gr. sabbaton or a transliteration of the Aramaic shabbata’, a singular form. Hence sabbata, though grammatically plural in form, may and often does represent a singular (Matt. 28:1; etc.). Either form may be adopted here, for the interpretation of the passage does not depend upon whether the reading is “sabbath days,” or “a sabbath.” The type of sabbath under consideration is shown by the phrase “which are a shadow of things to come” (Col. 2:17). The weekly Sabbath is a memorial of an event at the beginning of earth’s history (Gen. 2:2, 3; Ex. 20:8–11; PP 48). Hence, the “sabbath days” Paul declares to be shadows pointing to Christ cannot refer to the weekly Sabbath designated by the fourth commandment, but must indicate the ceremonial rest days that reach their realization in Christ and His kingdom (see Lev. 23:6–8, 15, 16, 21, 24, 25, 27, 28, 37, 38).

17. Which are a shadow. This phrase is the key to the understanding of v. 16. All the items the apostle lists in v. 16 are “shadows,” or types, symbolizing the reality that is Christ. A shadow has no substance; it is cast by something substantial. Compare the use of the word “shadow” in Heb. 8:5 and 10:1. The Jewish ceremonies were shadows cast by heavenly realities. Christ’s life, ministry, and kingdom are the reality. The portrayal of this in the ceremonial law was only the shadow.

On this passage Albert Barnes, Presbyterian commentator, well observes:
“There is no evidence from this passage that he [Paul] would teach that there was no obligation to observe any holy time, for there is not the slightest reason to believe that he meant to teach that one of the ten commandments had ceased to be binding on mankind. ... He had his eye on the great number of days which were observed by the Hebrews as festivals, as a part of their ceremonial and typical law, and not to the moral law, or the ten commandments. No part of the moral law—no one of the ten commandments could be spoken of as ‘a shadow of good things to come.’ These commandments are, from the nature of moral law, of perpetual and universal application.”

God is looking to see if His children will seize upon obscure loopholes in His Word to excuse disobedience of that which He, Himself has chiseled in stone.

Reactions: Brakelite

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

the sabbath—Omit "THE," which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on [2419]Ga 4:10). "Sabbaths" (not "the sabbaths") of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged (Le 23:32, 37-39). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Le 23:38 expressly distinguished "the sabbath of the Lord" from the other sabbaths. A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Heb 4:9, "rests," Greek, "keeping of sabbath" (Isa 66:23). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no consensus among Israel as to the Mitzvot 613 number, but I guess it sounds impressive to some people. Kinda makes it sound like you know what you're talking about.

and

Yeah, this sounds like an awful burden:

I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart. (Psalms 40:8)

Great peace have those who love Your law, And nothing causes them to stumble. (Psalms 119:165)

Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live; For Your law is my delight. (Psalms 119:77)

SAMECH. I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love. (Psalms 119:113)

Scholars quote 613, but that is irrelevant. If it was only 513 it was still a burden.
They had to have law specialists who’s sole job was to keep track of the hundreds of rules, to make sure people could keep it and not break the smallest part of it.

Peter said it’s a yoke of burden that neither they nor their fathers could bear Acts 15.. Paul wrote that the covenant given on mount Sinai is bondage and represents the slave woman Hagar Galatians 4:21-31, and that the ten commands given to Moses brings death and condemnation and is the letter that kills, compared to the new covenant that gives life. 2 Corinthians 3.

But you can claim that the fact that David wriot that he loved the law in a song negates the truth about it found in the new covenant, all you want.

For one thing David had nothing to compare the law of Moses with - but Peter and Paul, and we do have the new covenant to compare to the old.

David was like the tame caged bird that sings, because it knows no other life - but put a wild bird used to freedom and flying the skies in a cage, and he won’t sing, and he dies.

He was imprisoned under the law, as Paul wrote about, but that’s all he knew.

Grace and faith came by Jesus.

There’s no grace or faith under the law of Moses, and it was deliberately a burden to keep.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scholars quote 613, but that is irrelevant. If it was only 513 it was still a burden.
They had to have law specialists who’s sole job was to keep track of the hundreds of rules, to make sure people could keep it and not break the smallest part of it.

Peter said it’s a yoke of burden that neither they nor their fathers could bear Acts 15.. Paul wrote that the covenant given on mount Sinai is bondage and represents the slave woman Hagar Galatians 4:21-31, and that the ten commands given to Moses brings death and condemnation and is the letter that kills, compared to the new covenant that gives life. 2 Corinthians 3.

But you can claim that the fact that David wriot that he loved the law in a song negates the truth about it found in the new covenant, all you want.

For one thing David had nothing to compare the law of Moses with - but Peter and Paul, and we do have the new covenant to compare to the old.

David was like the tame caged bird that sings, because it knows no other life - but put a wild bird used to freedom and flying the skies in a cage, and he won’t sing, and he dies.

He was imprisoned under the law, as Paul wrote about, but that’s all he knew.

Grace and faith came by Jesus.

There’s no grace or faith under the law of Moses, and it was deliberately a burden to keep.
Yeah, we're so much more enlightened now. I can't keep track of you guys, so in case I repeat myself I'm sorry, but you do know that people are saved no differently today than they were in antiquity, don't you? Salvation has always been by grace through faith. No Old Testament believers were saved by sacrificing animals or keeping commandments. When are you folks going to get it through your heads that God never changes? The gospel is everlasting, backward and forward. God just couldn't spring it on them so forcefully in the beginning--it would've spooked them. Revelation is progressive.