God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply put, it's righteousness by faith.
"All thy commandments are righteousness".

It's about COVENANTS. And the end of the first one of the flesh that had to be kept by the letter of the law that kills, which is why it is called the ministry of death. 2 Cor. 3:6-11.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It's about COVENANTS. And the end of the first one of the flesh that had to be kept by the letter of the law that kills, which is why it is called the ministry of death. 2 Cor. 3:6-11.

Mam, the only <old covenant> has been that of arrogant, fallen man; the only "New Covenant" has been God's Eternal Covenant of Grace in Jesus Christ Only Saviour. I beg you, please quote me one Scripture using the words 'the old covenant'? The way these words are thrown around in dispensational discourse would imply there are many clear and literal instances of Scriptures containing them.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mam, the only <old covenant> has been that of arrogant, fallen man; the only "New Covenant" has been God's Eternal Covenant of Grace in Jesus Christ Only Saviour. I beg you, please quote me one Scripture using the words 'the old covenant'? The way these words are thrown around in dispensational discourse would imply there are many clear and literal instances of Scriptures containing them.

The Old Covenant given from Mt. Sinai and engraved on stone,(Ex. 34:28) is called Ishmael, the son of the flesh, and also the ministry of death in Galatians 4:22-31, and 2 Corinthians 3:6-11. The New Covenant is the ministry of the Spirit found in Jesus and that covenant was called Isaac, the child of PROMISE, and pointed toward the promised Seed, Jesus. Romans 7:7 through Romans 8:9

Why can't SDAs figure this out in Galatians 4:22-31? It is plain as day. If you think it pointed towards feasts and sacrifices, think again. It is referring to COVENANTS, and Exodus 34:28 says what that covenant is. "And He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments."

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So have you all received the Sabbath?
If you won't have received the Sabbath it's sure sign that He whose sign it is between Him and those who are HIS People have not yet let you receive HIS Sabbath Day as sign of HIS Covenant with His People. As simple as that. It's not for us to conclude anything else.
But if you feel proud about it, you should ask God about it : ON YOUR SPIRITUAL KNEES, is all I can say.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you won't have received the Sabbath it's sure sign that He whose sign it is between Him and those who are HIS People have not yet let you receive HIS Sabbath Day as sign of HIS Covenant with His People. As simple as that. It's not for us to conclude anything else.
But if you feel proud about it, you should ask God about it : ON YOUR SPIRITUAL KNEES, is all I can say.

Did you know that the New Covenant has a sign also. Covenants don't have two signs.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 20:7 - (Koine Greek) εν δε τη μια των σαββατων (Transliterated) en de th mia twn sabbatwn

(Acts 20:7, is a final farewell visit by Paul, who was going around "confirming the churches", and always preached on Sabbath (Acts 16:8,11, 20:5,6; 2 Corinthians 2:12; 2 Timothy 4:13), and in this instance, after Sabbath was complete, they met again and continued in fellowship and preaching, and had a final farewell. There is no evidence of a 'Lord's supper' here (no footwashing, basin, towel, fruit of the vine, cup, etc)). This special gathering, was held at night from after about 6pm to midnight, until morning (sunrise), with two meals therein, to see Paul off. There is no repetition (cycle from week to week) of this event occurring in scripture, nor any weekly meeting established on the first [day] of the week here.
Just in the book of Acts alone, there are over 78 sabbaths explicitly recorded.

Acts 13:14,27,42,44, 15:21, 16:13, 17:2, 18:4, (20:6, 21:4, 28:14; Paul always waited seven days, so that he could keep the Sabbath with fellow Jews, and Proselytes (see Acts 2:10; 13:26,42-43,44,45-46,47-49, 14:1,2,15-16, 15:17,19,21, 17:17) and preach the gospel upon that sacred day (Acts 17:2), just as Jesus had; Luke 4:16-21).
1 Corinthians 16:2 - (Koine Greek) κατα μιαν σαββατων (Transliterated) kata mian sabbatwn

(1 Corinthians 16:2 is a unique passage which refers to an extra or special and personally/individually gathered collection taken up privately (not even regular offering, nor tithe/firstfruits, nor even at a church or synagogue (but at one's own individual home), for the specific poor in a specific place, Jerusalem, for the dearth/famine; Acts 11:28; 1 Corinthians 16:3 that had been prophesied) after the sabbath was over, for Paul to pick up later when he came by.) There is no evidence of any 'service', 'Lord's supper' (and all that goes with it), gathering of the body of believers, scripture reading, prayer, etc here. It's all a private individual matter.​

Nothing about a change in any of these passages, and they even use the words sabbath in the koine Greek as the culmination of the weeks-end.

Paul is found in synagogues, not churches, over 80 times in Acts because he was preaching Jesus to the Jews who kept Saturday, and certainly wouldn’t be there on Sunday to hear Paul preach.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is found in synagogues, not churches, over 80 times in Acts because he was preaching Jesus to the Jews who kept Saturday, and certainly wouldn’t be there on Sunday to hear Paul preach.

No apostle made Sunday a commandment. The point is, keeping any day of the week as law has to be by the letter of the law. It is not part of the new nature where the eternal royal laws are written to suddenly instintually know a law that MUST be taught. The Spirit of the Sabbath is Rest in the Lord of the Sabbath, not a day of the week, but everyday, also called "Today."

Reactions: Ziggy

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Typical; the SDA speaking to himself, the SDA rewired and rewinded but always required unconditionally to say and stay the same thing. Like the man below shows, he steals words like 'opse' and 'Sabbatohn' (BLATENT plagiarism YES and I know his source and it is not Armstrong who never even once used those words!) then PRETEND he is that big scholar whom no one can teach a thing. Meantime he cannot even read or say the words. Pathetic.
I have no idea what you are talking about in this response. Are you referring to the Colossians 2 study in Powerpoint and Video? if so, what does "Armstrong" have to do with it, as his name is not quoted in any of it?

What are you referring to where you say "plagiarism"? of what? where? Can you link to it and cite it?

If you are still referring to your personal revelation that 'Jesus arose (from the Dead) on the sabbath', you are still in error, and have been refuted in detailed evidence in numerous forums, including this one ( Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday? and Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday? and Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday? etc) , by myself. I do not intend to do it again.

Last edited:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what you are talking about in this response. Are you referring to the Colossians 2 study in Powerpoint and Video? if so, what does "Armstrong" have to do with it, as his name is not quoted in any of it?

What are you referring to what you say "plagiarism"? of what? where? Can you link to it and cite it?

If you are still referring to your personal revelation that 'Jesus arose (from the Dead) on the sabbath', you are still in error, and have been refuted in detailed evidence in numerous forums, including this one ( Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday? and Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday? etc) , by myself. I do not intend to do it again.

I think Armstrong started the World Church of God, and I think they kept the Sabbath if I'm not mistaken. I really don't know if they are still in existence.

Reactions: Ziggy

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, synagogues (simply means 'the gathering') and was not always in a building, see (Acts 16:13). The first Christians were physically 'jews', so much so, that the Romans couldn't tell Judaism apart from Christianity outwardly (Acts 18:2), also recorded in history (*). What did Paul (Acts 17:2) do that Jesus wasn't doing in keeping Sabbath (Luke 4:14-21)?

Saturday (Roman time, midnight to midnight) is not in scripture. It is also not the exact same time as given in scripture for the Sabbath of the LORD (even unto even).

Same goes for 'Sunday'. The "first [day] of the week" in scripture, is not equal to that timeframe either.

The Jews and Gentiles, in the whole city came on the next (following) sabbath (Acts 13:44) after Paul originally preached the Gospel in sabbath keeping.

The word "church" (εκκλησιαν, ekklesian) just means 'called out ones'. They were to separate from commandment breakers. Both Jews (including Jesus) and Christians met together on many days of the week (including the first day of the week, such as when Jesus entered Jerusalem on the first day of the week in the 'Triumphal entry', and they met there again the next day, and the day after ...). None of that replaces the need to obey the specifics of the commandment itself (Exodus 20:8-11) and rest the 7th day.

(*)

[English Translation] "... 4 Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus,75 he expelled them from Rome. ..."

[Latin Original] "... 4 Iudaeos impulsore Chresto assidue tumultuantisº Roma expulit. ..."

[Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus; The Lives Of The Caesars; Life of Claudius [De Vita Claudii]; Section 25.4 English] - Suetonius • Life of Claudius

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, synagogues (simply means 'the gathering') and was not always in a building, see (Acts 16:13). The first Christians were physically 'jews', so much so, that the Romans couldn't tell Judaism apart from Christianity outwardly (Acts 18:2), also recorded in history (*). What did Paul (Acts 17:2) do that Jesus wasn't doing in keeping Sabbath (Luke 4:14-21)?

Saturday (Roman time, midnight to midnight) is not in scripture. It is also not the exact same time as given in scripture for the Sabbath of the LORD (even unto even).

Same goes for 'Sunday'. The "first [day] of the week" in scripture, is not equal to that timeframe either.

The Jews and Gentiles, in the whole city came on the next (following) sabbath (Acts 13:44) after Paul originally preached the Gospel in sabbath keeping.

The word "church" (εκκλησιαν, ekklesian) just means 'called out ones'. They were to separate from commandment breakers. Both Jews (including Jesus) and Christians met together on many days of the week (including the first day of the week, such as when Jesus entered Jerusalem on the first day of the week in the 'Triumphal entry', and they met there again the next day, and the day after ...). None of that replaces the need to obey the specifics of the commandment itself (Exodus 20:8-11) and rest the 7th day.

(*)

[English Translation] "... 4 Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus,75 he expelled them from Rome. ..."

[Latin Original] "... 4 Iudaeos impulsore Chresto assidue tumultuantisº Roma expulit. ..."

[Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus; The Lives Of The Caesars; Life of Claudius [De Vita Claudii]; Section 25.4 English] - Suetonius • Life of Claudius

Because Paul had been a Pharisee, he could preach in the synagogue to unsaved Jews to convert them. Paul would preach wherever there were people gathered, and that was usually on the Sabbath when they weren't working.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Galatians 4:22-31
22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Precisely!
Emboldened:
upload_2021-7-13_11-45-28.png

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because Paul had been a Pharisee, he could preach in the synagogue to unsaved Jews to convert them. Paul would preach wherever there were people gathered, and that was usually on the Sabbath when they weren't working.
You did not answer the question posed:

What did Paul (Acts 17:2) do that Jesus wasn't doing in keeping Sabbath (Luke 4:14-21)?

Paul had access to people daily.

Act_17:17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.
Also, why would devout Jews, allow a sabbath (commandment) breaker (Paul, as claimed by those like yourself) into a synagogue (gathering) in the first place?

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If you are looking for an explicit statement which says that the first day of the week is now the Sabbath, you will not find it, and that won't nullify what God actually did through the resurrection of Christ on the first day of the week.

Only if you are looking for and could FIND an explicit statement which says that God actually on the First Day of the week did resurrect Christ. You will not find it, and that won't nullify but will confirm what the weekly Sabbath is now, the Sabbath Jesus the Son of Man is Lord of--the Lord's Day.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm sorry but none who posted in this thread have any inkling at all what Matthew 28:1 is all about.

Yes you posted Scripture but the passages offered did not refute Matthew 28, which is the main theme of this OP. In fact @Curtis strengthened my case that the word "week" is the Hebrew plural word "Sabbaton." If anyone wants to refute Matthew 28 that it does not say what the verse proclaim then do it by Scripture!

I have other Scripture references but we must first get over this hurdle. All you folks are doing is giving your opinions and/or have offered passages which do NOT pertain to Matthew 28. Yes I understand this is the nature of Forums.

Let's reason together. I've given you my reasons now I ask for yours.

To God Be The Glory

Hand yourself out for a toffy -- and expect to be chewed, mate!

Your <case>, that <<the word "week" is the Hebrew plural word "Sabbaton.">>

First, You cannot even see <<"Sabbaton">> is no <<Hebrew word>>;

Next, You cannot even see <<"Sabbaton">> is not a <<plural word>>;

And if you don’t know what you’re talking about, how must anyone who posted in this thread have any inkling at all what you claim, Matthew 28:1 is all about? Ridiculous !

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Rechoired, you have good stuff here! God bless you
Indeed, in Exodus 35:3, while the children of Israel/Jacob were in the wilderness,we read:

Exo 35:3 Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day.​

It was quite a bit of 'chore' to begin a fire, especially in the wilderness, where there was little wood, for a fire:

Num_15:33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.​

It never says they could not already have a fire present. In fact, God was to always be their holy fire.

However, the real intent of this commandment, is the following:

1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.​

We have already read of the Christian's true "fire" (God Himself, which is the Holy Eternal and Everlasting Flame, the Eternal Fire (Deuteronomy 4:24, 9:3; Hebrews 12:29; Jude 1:7, which is never quenched/put out (Song of Solomon 8:7), therefore we never need to ever kindle our own fire of self, for God is the one who kindles us from His sacred flame of character, even to be a light to others), and we have the true "habitation" (Luke 16:9), which is not of this world - God changed Seventh Day Sabbath Worship to First Day of the Week

Notice:

Pro_26:21 As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.

Isa_9:18 For wickedness burneth as the fire: it shall devour the briers and thorns, and shall kindle in the thickets of the forest, and they shall mount up like the lifting up of smoke.

Isa_50:11 Behold, all ye that kindle a fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks: walk in the light of your fire, and in the sparks that ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand; ye shall lie down in sorrow.

Jas 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
Jas 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
Jas 3:3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Jas 3:4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Jas 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
Jas 3:6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Mat_12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Luk_6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Rev_9:17 And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.

Rev_9:18 By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.​

A false fire to false gods and idols, of self:

Jer_7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

Jer_44:3 Because of their wickedness which they have committed to provoke me to anger, in that they went to burn incense, and to serve other gods, whom they knew not, neither they, ye, nor your fathers.​

Yet, God Himself, will indeed kindle the fire through His word spoken:

Jer_20:9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

Mat_12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Luk_6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Rom_3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

Rev_9:18 By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.

Dan 7:10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.​

Old man of sin, slain by the fiery word of God.

... to be continued ...

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Old Covenant given from Mt. Sinai and engraved on stone,(Ex. 34:28) is called Ishmael, the son of the flesh, and also the ministry of death in Galatians 4:22-31, and 2 Corinthians 3:6-11.
With respect, Mam, this is you saying <<The Old Covenant given>>; I asked you for those words IN SCRIPTURE.

Besides, It clearly and plainly is NOT written in <<The Old Covenant given from Mt. Sinai and engraved on stone,(Ex. 34:28) is called Ishmael, the son of the flesh, and also the ministry of death in Galatians 4:22-31, and 2 Corinthians 3:6-11.>>
<<The Old Covenant>> was NOT <<given from Mt. Sinai>>;
<<The Old Covenant>> was NOT <<engraved on stone>>;
<<The Old Covenant>> is NOT and is not CALLED <<the ministry of death>>;
<<The Old Covenant>> is not even described or explained as either of the "two things which are an allegory. For these are the two covenants (of the two) SONS" of Abraham -- not they were the one <<The Old Covenant>> AND THAT SUPPOSED TO BE AN OLD COVENANT OF GOD!
Are you a Christian, Mam?!

Last edited: