God's Personal Name & New World Translation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is God's Personal Name?

• Yahweh/Adonai/Jehovah

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • LORD (capital)

• Lord (lowercase)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God goes by many names in the Bible.
Not sure why a person has to isolate it to just one of His names only (unless they are being wrongfully influenced by outside ideas not found in the Bible).

IMPORTANCE OF THE PERSONAL NAME OF GOD

Since the scriptures Jesus quoted (even from the Septuagint of his era) often used God's personal name, would he, the perfect representative of God and truth, not read what was written in the sacred scriptures?

Is there some reason for actually removing the only personal name of God (YHWH/JHVH) from the nearly 6000 places it is found in the OT manuscripts (including the available pages and fragments from the Greek OT Septuagint up to the beginning of the 2nd century)?

The only personal Name of God, “Jehovah” in traditional English form (or “Yahweh” in a possible ancient Hebrew form), has been removed in most “orthodox” translations from all (or nearly all) the 6000+ places it actually occurs in the ancient manuscripts of the Old Testament!

Reasons for such God-dishonoring “pollution” of his only personal name (Ezek. 39:7, KJV) include: manufactured trinity “evidence” (“special pleading”?); desire for popularity; literary “beauty;” economic considerations; and the traditions of men. One of the few respected “orthodox” scholars honest enough to admit this was Dr. Palmer.

Yes, the late Edwin H. Palmer, Executive Secretary of the NIV Committee on Bible Translation; Coordinator of all translation work on the NIV; and General Editor of The NIV Study Bible by Zondervan (see “Tribute to Edwin H. Palmer”, p. v., The NIV Study Bible, 1985), wrote the following reply to an inquiry about why the NIV did not use God’s personal name (Jehovah) as found nearly 7000 times in all the ancient Bible manuscripts of the Old Testament:

“Here is why we did not: You are right that Jehovah is a distinctive name for God and ideally we should have used it. But we put 2 ¼ million dollars into this translation and a sure way of throwing that down the drain is to translate, for example, Psalm 23 as, ‘Yahweh is my shepherd.’ Immediately, we would have translated for nothing. Nobody would have used it. Oh, maybe you and a handful [of] others. But a Christian has to be also wise and practical. We are the victims of 350 years of the King James tradition. It is far better to get two million to read it - that is how many have bought it to date - and to follow the King James [‘LORD ’] , than to have two thousand buy it and have the CORRECT translation of Yahweh .... It was a hard decision, and many of our translators agree with you.” - Quoted in 15 July 1979 The Watchtower. (My emphasis added)

Notice how a number of the most-respected, “orthodox,” trinitarian Bible study publications address this extremely important issue of God's only personal name:

“Of primary significance is the name of Yahweh [or Jehovah] which he himself made known in his revelation (Gen. 17:1; Exod. 3:14 [and 3:15]; 6:2...). One of the most fundamental and essential features of the biblical revelation is the fact that God is not without a name: he has a personal name [Jehovah or Yahweh], by which he can, and is to be, invoked.” - p. 649, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Vol. 2, Zondervan, 1986.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnPaul

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the New Bible Dictionary, Tyndale House Publ., 1984, after telling us on p. 812 that God changed his previously ‘external’ relationship with mankind by revealing his PERSONAL NAME to his people and thereby established with them “the highly personal relationship to a God who has given his people the liberty to call him by name [Yahweh or Jehovah],” further states:

“The name of God is described as his ‘holy name’ more often than all other adjectival qualifications [titles, descriptions, etc.] taken together. It was this sense of the sacredness of the name that finally led to the obtuse [stupid] refusal to use ‘Yahweh’, leading as it has done to a deep loss of the sense of the divine name in [English-language Bibles].” - p. 813, section d.

And The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia writes:

“5. ‘Jehovah’ - The name most distinctive of God as the God of Israel is Jehovah .... The meaning may with some confidence be inferred ... to be that of the simple future, yahweh, ‘he will be.’ It does not express causation, nor existence in a metaphysical sense, but the covenant promise of the Divine presence, both at the immediate time and in the Messianic age of the future.... It is the personal name of God.... Characteristic of the OT is its insistence on the possible knowledge of God as a person; and Jehovah is His name as a person. It is illogical, certainly, that the later Hebrews should have shrunk from its pronunciation, in view of the appropriateness of the name and of the OT insistence on the personality of God, who as a person has this name. [ASV] quite correctly adopts the transliteration ‘Jehovah’ to emphasize its significance and purpose as a personal name of God revealed.” - , p. 1266, Vol. 2, Eerdmans, 1984.

Also, the trinitarian Today’s Dictionary of the Bible (Bethany House, 1982) says:

Jeho’vah, the special and significant name (not merely an appellative title such as Lord [or God]) by which God revealed himself .... The Hebrew name ‘Jehovah’ is generally translated [in most English Bibles] by the word ‘LORD’ printed in small capitals to distinguish it from the [honest] rendering of the Hebrew Adonai and the Greek Kurios, which are also rendered ‘Lord,’ but in the usual type.” - p. 330.

The NIV Interlinear Hebrew-English Old Testament admits:

“YHWH, the personal name of God, is always translated ‘Yahweh’ [in this publication], against the practice of the NIV in rendering it as ‘LORD.’ On the one hand, this prevents confusion of this name with the title [‘my-Lord’], for the idea of lordship is not an integral element of the name. On the other hand, perhaps the use of Yahweh in this work will encourage the reader to use the personal name of God in prayer and praise, as is intended by the most common imperative in the Scriptures, [‘Hallelujah’ - ‘praise Jehovah’ (see p. 276, Today’s Dictionary of the Bible)]” - pp. xxvii-xxviii, The NIV Interlinear Hebrew-English Old Testament, Vol. 1, Zondervan, 1979.

And even trinitarian translator and scholar Jay P. Green writes in the Preface of his The Interlinear Bible:

The only personal name of God that belongs to Him alone was rendered Jehovah or, in its shortened form, Jah. We preferred the transliteration JHWH (thus Jehovah) over YHWH (or Yahweh) because this is established English usage for Bible names beginning with this letter (e.g., Jacob and Joseph). - p. v, Baker Book House, 1982.

“Jehovah denotes specifically the one true God, whose people the Jews were, and who made them the guardians of his truth. .... The substitution of the word 'Lord' is most unhappy, for it in no way represents the meaning of the sacred name.” - p. 220, Smith’s Bible Dictionary, Hendrickson Publ.

And the translators of the highly-praised American Standard Version (ASV) wrote about their translation:

“The change ... which substitutes ‘Jehovah’ for ‘LORD’ and ‘GOD’ (printed in small capitals) - is one which will be unwelcome to many, because of the frequency and familiarity of the terms displaced. But the American Revisers, after a careful consideration, were brought to the unanimous conviction that a Jewish superstition, which regarded the Divine Name as too sacred to be uttered, ought no longer to dominate in the English or any other version of the Old Testament.... This personal name, with its wealth of sacred associations, is now restored to the place in the sacred text to which it has an unquestionable claim.” - Preface, p. iv, American Standard Version, Thomas Nelson and Sons.

Commenting on this restoration of God's personal name in the ASV, The Presbyterian and Reformed Review said in 1902:

"We cannot understand how there can be any difference of opinion as to the rightness of this step. This is the Lord's personal name, by which He has elected to be known by His people: the loss suffered by transmuting it into His descriptive title seems to us immense. To be sure there are disputes as to the true form of the name, and nobody supposes that 'Jehovah' is that true form. But it has the value of the true form to the English reader; and it would be mere pedantry to substitute for it Yahwe or any other forms now used with more or less inaccuracy by scholastic writers. We account it no small gain for the English reader of the Old Testament that he will for the first time in this popular version meet statedly with 'Jehovah' and learn all that 'Jehovah' has been to and done for His people."

(Remember how even the KJV itself – and others - admits, in effect, that “Jehovah” should be understood in the New Testament: most editions of the KJV use “LORD” - which is recognized by all knowledgeable Bible scholars as the “code” for “Jehovah” in the KJV and most other versions - at Matt. 22:44; Mark 12:36; Luke 20:42; Acts 2:34; etc.)

So, rather than “have the correct translation of Yahweh [or Jehovah],” as Dr. Palmer admits above, nearly all Bible translations have dishonestly translated this extremely important Personal Name of God as “LORD”!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

IMPORTANCE OF THE PERSONAL NAME OF GOD

Since the scriptures Jesus quoted (even in the Septuagint of his era) often used God's personal name, would he, the perfect representative of God and truth, not read what was written in the sacred scriptures?

Is there some reason for actually removing the only personal name of God (YHWH/JHVH) from the nearly 6000 places it is found in the OT manuscripts (including the available pages and fragments from the Greek OT Septuagint up to the beginning of the 2nd century)?

The only personal Name of God, “Jehovah” in traditional English form (or “Yahweh” in a possible ancient Hebrew form), has been removed in most “orthodox” translations from all (or nearly all) the 6000+ places it actually occurs in the ancient manuscripts of the Old Testament!

Reasons for such God-dishonoring “pollution” of his only personal name (Ezek. 39:7, KJV) include: manufactured trinity “evidence” (“special pleading”?); desire for popularity; literary “beauty;” economic considerations; and the traditions of men. One of the few respected “orthodox” scholars honest enough to admit this was Dr. Palmer.

Yes, the late Edwin H. Palmer, Executive Secretary of the NIV Committee on Bible Translation; Coordinator of all translation work on the NIV; and General Editor of The NIV Study Bible by Zondervan (see “Tribute to Edwin H. Palmer”, p. v., The NIV Study Bible, 1985), wrote the following reply to an inquiry about why the NIV did not use God’s personal name (Jehovah) as found nearly 7000 times in all the ancient Bible manuscripts of the Old Testament:

“Here is why we did not: You are right that Jehovah is a distinctive name for God and ideally we should have used it. But we put 2 ¼ million dollars into this translation and a sure way of throwing that down the drain is to translate, for example, Psalm 23 as, ‘Yahweh is my shepherd.’ Immediately, we would have translated for nothing. Nobody would have used it. Oh, maybe you and a handful [of] others. But a Christian has to be also wise and practical. We are the victims of 350 years of the King James tradition. It is far better to get two million to read it - that is how many have bought it to date - and to follow the King James [‘LORD ’] , than to have two thousand buy it and have the CORRECT translation of Yahweh .... It was a hard decision, and many of our translators agree with you.” - Quoted in 15 July 1979 The Watchtower. (My emphasis added)

Notice how a number of the most-respected, “orthodox,” trinitarian Bible study publications address this extremely important issue of God's only personal name:

“Of primary significance is the name of Yahweh [or Jehovah] which he himself made known in his revelation (Gen. 17:1; Exod. 3:14 [and 3:15]; 6:2...). One of the most fundamental and essential features of the biblical revelation is the fact that God is not without a name: he has a personal name [Jehovah or Yahweh], by which he can, and is to be, invoked.” - p. 649, The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Vol. 2, Zondervan, 1986.

Look. Your leaders have brainwashed you to believe whatever they say. The proof is in the pudding if they are infallible in speaking for God; But we know time after time repeatedly they have been proven false.

See post #114.
Your New World Translation has been refuted.

Besides, common sense should tell you that the JW religion is false. There are other false religions claiming to add special words from God as an addition to the Bible. Your religion is no different than the other biblical cults.

Last edited:

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look. Your leaders have brainwashed you to believe whatever they say. The proof is in the pudding if they are infallible in speaking for God and time after time repeatedly they have been proven false.

See post #114.
Your New World Translation has been refuted.
So all of the quoted sources in my last 2 posts are my leaders who "have brainwashed" me?? So I am a trinitarian after all??

I don't believe you read anything that might change an unbiased mind.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So all of the quoted sources in my last 2 posts are my leaders who "have brainwashed" me?? So I am a trinitarian after all??

You quoted the Watchtower and they have no credibility and trustworthiness by a long shot. Again you are ignoring post #114 that refutes your New World Translation. So even your other sources are suspect because you are biased to a false cult that repeatedly lies.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, rather than “have the correct translation of Yahweh [or Jehovah],” as Dr. Palmer admits above, nearly all Bible translations have dishonestly translated this extremely important Name of God as “LORD”!
That is a false accusation and there was nothing dishonest in using "LORD" (small capitals) for YHWH. Some even change that to YHVH.
הָיָה = hayah יְהֹוָ֥ה = Yahweh (or Yehovah)

1. Firstly there were no vowels in this name.

2. Secondly the Jews were already substituting "Adonai" (Lord) for YHWH.

3. The Jews were afraid of taking the Lord's name in vain.

4. The KJV translators simply followed this practice of substituting LORD for YHWH.

5. This does not detract from the name of the Lord in any way, since all Christians understood that LORD meant "the Lord God Almighty".

6. No one objected to this until the Jehovah's Witnesses came along and actually tried to substitute "Jehovah" for "Yehovah" or "Yahweh" (the closest pronunciation of YHWH).

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BH wrote above: "You quoted the Watchtower and they have no credibility and trustworthiness by a long shot. Again you are ignoring post #114 that refutes your New World Translation. So even your other sources are suspect because you are biased to a false cult that repeatedly lies."

I don't believe any of my many quotes were from the Watchtower as you claim. Proving that you did not read them (or you are a liar).

post 114 by you:
#5. Contradiction involving the JW's Favorite Name of GOD:

Genesis 28:10-13 (Jehovah says that He is the God of Abraham and Isaac)

10 “Jacob departed from Beʹer-sheʹba and kept going toward Haʹran.
11 In time he came to a place and prepared to spend the night there because the sun had set. So he took one of the stones of that place and set it to rest his head on and lay down there.
12 Then he had a dream, and look! there was a stairway set on the earth, and its top reached up to the heavens; and there were God’s angels ascending and descending on it.
13 And look! there was Jehovah stationed above it, and he said:“I am Jehovah the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you are lying, to you I am going to give it and to your offspring.”

NOTE: The above references from Genesis as recorded in the NWT unequivocally contradict what is recorded in Exodus 6:2-3:

Exodus 6:2-3 (NWT) says,”Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.”

You need to get someone to help you study. The Hebrew OT text used by KJV and all other modern Bible translators uses YHWH (Jehovah/Yahweh) at Genesis 28:13 and Exodus 6:2-3! Even the simplest researcher can find this out by actually reading the passages in KJV or most other Bibles which indicate the personal name of God. ASV is a good choice. Of course you could actually look at the OT Hebrew text and actually see YHWH in the places the NWT has honestly used them.

You are criticizing not only the NWT but nearly all other Bible translations which read basically the same.

There is no excuse for such lack of the simplest research and the gall to repeat such easily disproved nonsense.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What you propose is silly because you believe that English speaking people who first had the Bible were deceived by that Bible until you guys came along with your own pet translation in the late 1900’s that caters to your extra biblical nonsense.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe any of my many quotes were from the Watchtower as you claim. Proving that you did not read them (or you are a liar).

post 114 by you:

11 In time he came to a place and prepared to spend the night there because the sun had set. So he took one of the stones of that place and set it to rest his head on and lay down there.
12 Then he had a dream, and look! there was a stairway set on the earth, and its top reached up to the heavens; and there were God’s angels ascending and descending on it.
13 And look! there was Jehovah stationed above it, and he said:“I am Jehovah the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac. The land on which you are lying, to you I am going to give it and to your offspring.”

NOTE: The above references from Genesis as recorded in the NWT unequivocally contradict what is recorded in Exodus 6:2-3:

Exodus 6:2-3 (NWT) says, ”Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.”

You need to get someone to help you study. The Hebrew OT text used by KJV and all other modern Bible translators uses YHWH (Jehovah/Yahweh) at Genesis 28:13 and Exodus 6:2-3! Even the simplest researcher can find this out by actually reading the passages in KJV or most other Bibles which indicate the personal name of God. ASV is a good choice. Of course you could actually look at the OT Hebrew text and actually see YHWH in the places the NWT has used them.

There is no excuse for such lack of the simplest research and the gall to repeat such easily disproved nonsense.

This is a diversion. Nobody knows the dead languages of the Bible. People today are only guessing. We know English. The English in your Bible lies flat out.

You need to believe the Bible as it is written in English before you can study it. If not, your not believing the Bible plainly.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still refusing to do basic study. Try reading the 1902 American Standard Version (translated long before the NWT):

Genesis 28:13
American Standard Version

13 And, behold, Jehovah stood above it, and said, I am Jehovah, the God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
I would have examined some more of your posts above, but your determined ignorance stops me.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BH wrote above: "You quoted the Watchtower and they have no credibility and trustworthiness by a long shot. Again you are ignoring post #114 that refutes your New World Translation. So even your other sources are suspect because you are biased to a false cult that repeatedly lies."

post 114 by you:

Exodus 6:2-3 (NWT) says,”Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.”

You need to get someone to help you study. The Hebrew OT text used by KJV and all other modern Bible translators uses YHWH (Jehovah/Yahweh) at Genesis 28:13 and Exodus 6:2-3! Even the simplest researcher can find this out by actually reading the passages in KJV or most other Bibles which indicate the personal name of God. ASV is a good choice. Of course you could actually look at the OT Hebrew text and actually see YHWH in the places the NWT has honestly used them.

You are criticizing not only the NWT but nearly all other Bible translations which read basically the same.

Post 121 says…

“Quoted in 15 July 1979 The Watchtower. (My emphasis added)”

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still refusing to do basic study. Try reading the 1902 American Standard Version (translated long before the NWT):

13 And, behold, Jehovah stood above it, and said, I am Jehovah, the God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
I would have examined some more of your posts above, but your determined ignorance stops me.

Again, I have shown that your JW translation says nails (plural) (within the hands) in John 20:25 and yet the WatchTower has a picture of his hands with only one nail in his hands. So your organization is lying to you.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The ASV (1901) is the English translation of the Westcott and Hort text that attempted to dethrone the King James Bible. But modern bibles did not gain any popularity until the NiV in the 1970’s. Westcott and Hort were into Catholicism and they hated the King James Bible. They also held to occult practices. So you don’t know your Bible history correctly.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason is as I said, that although the words "I am" are a common thing just as much of what is written that would seem to be merely literary, there is also something there that is only heard by those to whom God makes it known. Is it not brilliant that such a common non-name completely defines God and says "Jehovah" without actually saying it?

But why--why did God not just answer Moses simply saying "Jehovah?" Or why did He not answer saying "Jehovah" first and then define it after rather than before?

It is by no coincidence, but rather to show a pattern from the start of His dealings with the salvation of Israel--that light upon a hill unto every nation and people: A pattern of Who, followed by a defining explanation, followed by Who again. Of which we already know and have the Name, we also have the explanation (but did not fully understand that is what it was), and then comes the "new Name" of Who, which has not yet been revealed. Which is to say, "In the beginning God", then the explanation, then the Revelation.” And it all comes unassumingly...like "I am."

He gave Moses His name that he was to relay to Pharaoh, last in fact, and clearly stated that would be His name for an eternity. Jehovah actually means causes to become. I am is more of a power quality, basically meaning He will become what is needed. At the end of the 6th plague (I think) Jehovah told Pharaoh these words sir: (Exodus 9:15, 16) . . .For by now I could have thrust my hand out to strike you and your people with a devastating plague, and you would have been wiped out from the earth. 16 But for this very reason I have kept you in existence: to show you my power and to have my name declared in all the earth.

And Jehovah's fame went through the nations, when God's people entered into the promised land they feared the people of God, knowing full well His capabilities.

Reactions: tigger 2

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Jesus is the name above all names, including the personal names YHWH, Yah, and Jehovah.

Luckily for those who have ears, we know the scriptures reveal Jesus is YHWH, the I AM that I AM, so we have no conflict here.
Hi @DavidTaylor Philippians 2.9: "Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name".

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the New Bible Dictionary, Tyndale House Publ., 1984, after telling us on p. 812 that God changed his previously ‘external’ relationship with mankind by revealing his PERSONAL NAME to his people and thereby established with them “the highly personal relationship to a God who has given his people the liberty to call him by name

As always tigger, you make great points! Because of the trinitarian bias, of supposing the suffering servant, anointed, is the anointer, we lose sight of the significance of God revealing his PERSONAL NAME, YAHWEH because he sought a personal relationship with us.

Calling people by titles is mostly lost on modern Americans. There is a presumption of intimacy in using people's first name that only can be seen by the contrast of calling people by their titles. 'Mr. Tigger, Mr. Wrangler is here to see you.' Then invoking our personal name becomes so much more powerful.

For instance, in a scene in Star Wars, Luke and Han were about to embark on a dangerous mission. Leia said, "Luke, be careful." For emphasis, Han turned to her and said "We will." The meaning of her invoking Luke's personal name is clear; a closeness, an intimacy and a concern for his well being. In short, she conveyed love for Luke but not to Han.

And there is the saying "to love someone is to know someone". This is profoundly true. How can we love god if we don't know who he is? Because of our combined lived experience, we do. Scripture records he chose to reveal himself personally to Moses but for us all. This is explicit in Ex 3:15 for there is no other reason for this name to be known for all generations if only Moses was to know and use God's PERSONAL NAME, YAHWEH.

It was this sense of the sacredness of the name that finally led to the obtuse [stupid] refusal to use ‘Yahweh’,

I disagree and believe instead that it was arrogant and evolving Jews thinking they could outsmart God in escaping condemnation of violating the 3C. The commandment to not use God's name frivolously is taken as an insolent prohibition against using his name at all. All the way back to GE 4:3-4 records Cain and Able making an offering to YHWH. It is inconceivable that we are to make an offering to the Greek Unknown God when Scripture records his name in those very same passages!

Said differently, although YHWH did not reveal his name until Ex 20:3, by the time Moses wrote the Pentateuch, he incorporated YHWH's name for future generations in Genesis - this is so we can KNOW and USE the name of our Creator. Moses made explicit that the Creator is named YHWH in GE 2:4. And GE 1:5 YHWH's nature as a single being, "he" is explicitly stated.

Our Creator is a singular being named YHWH. To whom we are supposed to pray without ceasing per 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 who are in Jesus the Anointed.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul earlier in chapter 2 of Philippians says that 'Christ Jesus, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God'.

Pretty bad translation of what was actually said sir, Jesus is not equal to Jehovah. In fact the actual verse was explaining that Jesus didn't even think that was something to shoot for, like satan did.