Going on Hospice Today.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not sure. What are your thoughts on assisted suicide?
FWIW....my husband had a terminal illness for which there was no cure. He was incapacitated to the extent that he could no longer do anything for himself.....he decided when he had had enough, and told the doctor that he had decided to end his suffering. He would, from that day on, refuse to eat or drink. The doctor was wonderful, completely understanding of his situation and told him he would make him as comfortable as possible. By doing this he was taking control of his pointless existence....he wanted to end it and in refusing food and water he was not breaking any law of God or man. He passed away peacefully some days later.

Assisted suicide is “active” euthanasia, whereas the decision my husband made was “passive” euthanasia, not involving anyone else but himself. He passed away on his own terms and his final destiny lies with God.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two Christian ladies came to my house to get me signed up for hospice. They were here for two hours. They went over everything. I have two different things that are going to cause my death. Five years ago I had a massive heart attack. My heart doctor said that I only had five minutes to live. He placed a stint in a collapsed artery on the left side of my chest, that saved my life. And now I have been diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer. I don't know which ailment is going to kill me. I am beginning to have chest pains and the cancer is making me very weak. I am beginning to have trouble walking.

The hospice ladies said that my death is going to be a progression. 1. I will not be able to stand or walk and will have to be in the bed. 2. I will stop eating. 3. I will stop talking. 4. I will become unconscious and then I will die. I know that this sounds unusual, but I have perfect peace and I am looking forward to dying. "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord". Thank all of you for your concern.
What a great mindset!
You will be ok…
Ezekiel 18:4…God says, “Look! All the souls, TO ME they belong”!

When it comes, you will R.I.P.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assisted suicide is “active” euthanasia, whereas the decision my husband made was “passive” euthanasia, not involving anyone else but himself. He passed away on his own terms and his final destiny lies with God.

So self murder... is not murder?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So self murder... is not murder?
Who said that life had to be extended if you have no prognosis and death is inevitable….do you think God wants us to live in pain, indignity and suffering if we have a simple way to hasten the inevitable? It was his decision and we supported him. He just decided not to eat or drink….is there a law of God that is broken by doing that? Would you not do the same if a loved one of yours was in a similar situation?

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FWIW....my husband had a terminal illness for which there was no cure. He was incapacitated to the extent that he could no longer do anything for himself.....he decided when he had had enough, and told the doctor that he had decided to end his suffering. He would, from that day on, refuse to eat or drink. The doctor was wonderful, completely understanding of his situation and told him he would make him as comfortable as possible. By doing this he was taking control of his pointless existence....he wanted to end it and in refusing food and water he was not breaking any law of God or man. He passed away peacefully some days later.

Refusing food and water is suicide. You can call it whatever that you want, it is still suicide. If he was a Christian he will NOT be held accountable. If he was NOT a Christian, he will be judged according to the law. The law says, "Thou shalt not kill". I have thought about that, but I feel that it would not be a good witness for the Lord.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Refusing food and water is suicide. You can call it whatever that you want, it is still suicide. If he was a Christian he will NOT be held accountable. If he was NOT a Christian, he will be judged according to the law. The law says, "Thou shalt not kill". I have thought about that, but I feel that it would not be a good witness for the Lord.
My husband’s decision was entirely his to make. He was not a Christian and so his eternal destiny is in the hands of a very compassionate God, who unlike the medical system we have today, does not sanction artificial means to keep a dying person alive, just to make money off the drugs they sell to extend a person’s existence. My husband was tube fed and he pulled out that tube and refuse to have it reinserted. His refusal was therefore, not to be fed artificially so as to prolong what was no longer a “life” worth living. His condition meant that he could no longer eat or drink without aspirating.

I hope that clarifies the situation.

Reactions: TheHC

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband’s decision was entirely his to make. He was not a Christian and so his eternal destiny is in the hands of a very compassionate God, who unlike the medical system we have today, does not sanction artificial means to keep a dying person alive, just to make money off the drugs they sell to extend a person’s existence. My husband was tube fed and he pulled out that tube and refuse to have it reinserted. His refusal was therefore, not to be fed artificially so as to prolong what was no longer a “life” worth living. His condition meant that he could no longer eat or drink without aspirating.

I hope that clarifies the situation.
Being fed through a tube is unnatural, I don't blame him, I would have done the same thing.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert Pate,
I pray our Gracious God and the Lord Jesus Christ holds you at this time and places ministering angels around you and the smell of Heaven's aroma fills your room and the peace that surpasses all understanding come upon you, and that the majestic power of the Holy Spirit fills you as the comforter. Amen

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert Pate,
I pray our Gracious God and the Lord Jesus Christ holds you at this time and places ministering angels around you and the smell of Heaven's aroma fills your room and the peace that surpasses all understanding come upon you, and that the majestic power of the Holy Spirit fills you as the comforter. Amen
Thank you, I am anxious to be through with this.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't seen Robert Post since early March.

It looks like he was very active up until nearly the end of February and then started a thread as his last apparent post about a week later.

I miss him. He was antagonistic at times (aren't we all?) but some of my favorite people on forums are the most "cranky" ones. I like to make it a challenge to evoke some tenderness from them.

My paternal grandmother was famously "mean." I never had a bit of trouble with her. All she required was cooperation and obedience.

I had several bosses that were very unpopular, and I always made it my business to appeal to their kinder natures.

One could only be reached by talking about non-working subjects. The other one that comes to mind really lit up when you got him to talking about his kids.

Assuming he has passed away, I pray Robert's family is finding peace.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It looks like he was very active up until nearly the end of February and then started a thread as his last apparent post about a week later.

I miss him. He was antagonistic at times (aren't we all?) but some of my favorite people on forums are the most "cranky" ones. I like to make it a challenge to evoke some tenderness from them.

My paternal grandmother was famously "mean." I never had a bit of trouble with her. All she required was cooperation and obedience.

I had a several bosses that were very unpopular, and I always made it my business to appeal to their kinder natures.

One could only be reached by talking about non-working subjects. The other one that comes to mind really lit up when you got him to talking about his kids.

Assuming he has passed away, I pray Robert's family is finding peace.

Also joining here in prayers for his family.