'Good' in Genesis 1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
And God saw the light, that it was good:
(H2896)
and God divided the light from the darkness.'
(Gen 1:3-4)

Hello there,

I opened my Bible to the first chapter of Genesis and started to read, and was arrested by the word 'good', for I remembered a debate in which it was argued that if everything that God made was good how could evil come from it? or something to that effect.

In my Bible's marginal notes the word, 'good' equals 'beautiful', and reference is made to Ecclesiastes 3:11, and I'm sorry but I have to quote it within it's context (ie., vv. 10-15):-

'What profit hath he that worketh in that wherein he laboureth?
I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.
.. He hath made every thing beautiful in His time:
(H3303)
.... also He hath set the world (ie., the age) in their heart,
...... so that no man can find out the work that God maketh
........ from the beginning to the end.
I know that there is no good in them,
.. but for a man to rejoice,
.... and to do good in his life.
...... And also that every man should eat and drink,
........ and enjoy the good of all his labour,
.......... it is the gift of God.
I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever:
.. nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it:
.... and God doeth it, that men should fear before Him.
That which hath been is now;
.. and that which is to be hath already been;
.... and God requireth that which is past.'

* This is an amazing portion of Scripture, and deserves to be considered for it's own sake, doesn't it. (Feel free to do that if you would like)

* So, the word, 'good' in Genesis 1:3-4 has the meaning of 'beautiful' in this context: and not 'good' in a moral sense, yes? Each day's work is called 'good' except the second day, in which nothing was created only divided (vv. 6-8).

* The word 'world', when translated from ('Kosmos' G2889) means a decoration, or an adorning too.

Any thoughts?

In Christ Jesus
Chris
I like to think of it as God placing His "Seal of Approval" on how the physical elements came together in perfection from His spoken Word. God said "Let there be....(and it became)....and He was pleased with how perfect and beautiful it was.

Reactions: charity and Ziggy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard both taught, and more besides.

I understand God's purpose to be that we would walk with Him in innocence and love. I think that in the ages to come, that's what we will do. And because we want to, not that we have to, or were just made that way.

And that "because we want to", is why God made Adam able to make the choice to live God's way, or to take it upon himself how he would live.

I don't see that man got the drop on God, Oh My Look at what just happened! Rather that this was the way to reach the destination. Available at the beginning, though man would not avail himself of it. And being made available at the end through redemption.

Much love!
I have been studying Holy and Righteous and does it mean the same as good....unholy/unrighteous=evil....
And I have concluded they are not the same.
Good and evil are what we are born with. Holy and Righteous what we are called to be.
What is the difference between holy and righteous in the Bible?
In summary, the word “holy” refers to a person’s character and “righteous” refers to a person’s behavior. One who is holy behaves righteously. One who is holy will be righteous. Isaiah 5:16 helps us understand the relationship between “holy” and “righteous.”

But the LORD of hosts will be exalted in judgment,
And the holy God will show Himself holy in righteousness.
Isaiah 5:16 (NASB)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been studying Holy and Righteous and does it mean the same as good....unholy/unrighteous=evil....
Good and evil are what we are born with. Holy and Righteous what we are called to be.
In summary, the word “holy” refers to a person’s character and “righteous” refers to a person’s behavior. One who is holy behaves righteously. One who is holy will be righteous. Isaiah 5:16 helps us understand the relationship between “holy” and “righteous.”

I've been giving this a lot of though myself.

One thing I think of is that the Bible says the one who is righteous does righteousness.

I think the base idea of righteousness is to be and do what is right.

I think the base idea of holiness is to be set apart for God.

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I've been giving this a lot of though myself.

One thing I think of is that the Bible says the one who is righteous does righteousness.

I think the base idea of holiness is to be set apart for God.

Much love!
@marks It's interesting that Paul to the Romans at the beginning and at the end speaks of 'obedience to the faith' and 'the obedience of faith': this is not a works-based, self-justification but indication of 'things that accompany salvation' (Hebrews 6.9).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@Heart2Soul If there is absolutely no change despite a profession of faith, then one can question whether thee has really been a work of God there...

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a hard one.
Everyone has a role to play. And God is the Potter and we are the clay.
What does Paul say about longsuffering towards the more uncomely parts?
We are here to do God's will, whatever that may be.
Even Judas had a role to play in order for prophecy to be fulfilled.
It is God who is Judge and he puts people according to His plan not ours.
We can only pray our path pleases Him.

deep thoughts...
Hugs

Reactions: marks

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's a hard one.
Everyone has a role to play. And God is the Potter and we are the clay.
What does Paul say about longsuffering towards the more uncomely parts?
We are here to do God's will, whatever that may be.
Even Judas had a role to play in order for prophecy to be fulfilled.
It is God who is Judge and he puts people according to His plan not ours.
We can only pray our path pleases Him.

deep thoughts...
Hugs
@Ziggy Well, we know also what pleases God: Hebrews 13: '...working in you that which is well pleasing in His sight...' :)

Reactions: Ziggy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks It's interesting that Paul to the Romans at the beginning and at the end speaks of 'obedience to the faith' and 'the obedience of faith': this is not a works-based, self-justification but indication of 'things that accompany salvation' (Hebrews 6.9).
The Gospel itself is a command by God, that we are to believe in the One Whom He has sent. And yes, I fully agree, if we have been reborn, we will be different than we were.

Much love!

Reactions: farouk

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My question is: are good and perfect the same thing? Several quotes (I’m sorry so many) but this is why I ask if good and perfect are the same?

Luke 11:9-13 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. [10] For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. [11] If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? [12] Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? [13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

consider the glory that was to be done away with, but that glory which excelleth and remains. In 2 Corinthians 3:6-11 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. [7] But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: [8] How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? [9] For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. [10] For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth. [11] For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

Consider that “every good” and “every perfect “gift” comes from God with Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
in the creation account is there not a shadow of that which to come in “let there be light”and God saw it was (good), yet not the very image of “Let there be Light” 2 Corinthians 4:5-6 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
(Hebrews 13:20-21).

My question is: in “let there be light”and God saw it was (good), how much perfect the glorious gospel of Christ Hebrews 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1 Corinthians 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Romans 7:7-13 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. [8] But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. [9] For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. [10] And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. [11] For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. [12] Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. [13] Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 65:17 KJV
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
Look at the entire chapter. God is addressing all the inequities of His people. These sins of theirs shall not be remembered.
This is not talking about our memories.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We had to have the choice to choose to between light and darkness, to choose to love and obey God (as Mark pointed out), "because we want to". We want to only when we know and value Him. You can't force anyone to love you. It is cherished when they willingly do, because they want to.
So an alternative had to be available, otherwise, there is no choice. It would be like a closed system, everything operating like a machine. No laws would be needed because there would be no potential for evil. Isn't the Law good and perfect. We know God's character partly because of His laws and statutes. The other parts of His character we could never know like faith, forgiveness, mercy, peace, hope and joy unless evil came into the world.
God wants us to willingly love Him and eachother. That is precious. We are told the greatest act of love is that we give our lives for someone else. That means death. Hey, what do you know, death ends up being great. We appreciate what Christ did so much more. "For God so loved the world That He gave He only begotten Son, that whosoever
believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."
It was a perfect plan.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at the entire chapter. God is addressing all the inequities of His people. These sins of theirs shall not be remembered.
This is not talking about our memories.
People do have different views on this. At the end of the day, I think God will have His original intent, a great big family to receive His love, innocent and joyful, bliss forevermore.

Much love!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It also says there is none righteous....but we put on His righteousness and that is how we are made righteous...we are the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus.
Yes to some degree....
Definition of righteous

1: acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin
2a: morally right or justifiablea righteous decision
b: arising from an outraged sense of justice or morality righteous indignation

This definition all points to living a life free of immorality and disobedience to His Commandments.

Reactions: Ziggy and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It also says there is none righteous....but we put on His righteousness and that is how we are made righteous...we are the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus.

Yes to some degree....
Definition of righteous

1: acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin
2a: morally right or justifiablea righteous decision
b: arising from an outraged sense of justice or morality righteous indignation

This definition all points to living a life free of immorality and disobedience to His Commandments.

All of this goes to highlight why I'm still just "meditating on this". No real conclusions! But it's so good to meditate on God and His ways.

Much love!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "letter" is first recorded in 2 Samuel 11:14.

When Paul is speaking of the "letter" of the law...
what "letter" is he refering to?

So for instance:

Rom 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

how does the "letter" transgress the law?

what letter?

Hugs

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My question is: are good and perfect the same thing? Several quotes (I’m sorry so many) but this is why I ask if good and perfect are the same?
That is a very good question and you offered a lot of scripture to meditate on.
It isn't proper English to use words with the same meaning in a single sentence....so those who translated this would have known it and so they must have had different meanings for the context.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a very good question and you offered a lot of scripture to meditate on.
It isn't proper English to use words with the same meaning in a single sentence....so those who translated this would have known it and so they must have had different meanings for the context.

Also consider Romans 5:8-10 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. [9] Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. [10] For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

I know I struggle to make sense. In considering every good gift and every perfect gift …it is the “much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life” in the above; having passed from death into Life. Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Hebrews 8:6-7 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. [7] For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

Does that make sense? That there could be a difference between every good gift and every perfect gift?

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also consider Romans 5:8-10 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. [9] Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. [10] For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
One man, Adam, made all of mankind sinners.....By One Man, Jesus, could all be made righteous and be reconciled to the Father...
Romans 5 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
¹⁸ Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
¹⁹ For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 8:6-7 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. [7] For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
I never paid much attention to this scripture but it makes sense....Jesus didn't come to do away with the law but rather to fulfill it....
Then He says I give you a New Commandment....
The Covenant God made with Abraham in the OT was binding but not could not be fulfilled because of man's idolatry....meaning that when God makes a Covenant it is to be forever....however man has to cooperate in doing his part for it to happen.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you suppose we will retain in our memories all the evils in this life throughout eternity?
KJV Zechariah 13:6
6 And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.
Christ will still bear the scars as a reminder of what He went through to secure our salvation; I would imagine we would have some memory as to why we needed a Savior.
Also. This may inflame some debate, however...
I firmly believe that there are unfallen populated worlds besides ours. I also believe that they have in some way or another, been observing what has been going on here. Paul inferred this when he said,
KJV Ephesians 2:7
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Show to whom? While these other worlds may have had limited insight to what has been going on here, what they will not understand is the experience of mankind regarding the experience of sin, and that of redemption. Could it be that part of our role in the future will be in visiting these places and sharing our unique experience thus opening up to them a magnificent facet of the love of God... His grace and mercy... That they have never experienced nor known for themselves?