Grace is NOT unmerited favor!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What definition of grace to you live by?

• Unmerited favor that covers up sin so God can't see it.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • The power of God to partake of the divine nature?

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Other

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "we" in 1 John 1:6 is referring to the instance of whether we claim to be in the light and yet walk in darkness.

If we claim to be in the light...if we say that we have fellowship with Him...this can be anyone who claims to be a Christian.

The qualifying statement that makes them not a Christian is that they are walking in darkness.

In 1 John 1:8, the qualifying statement that makes them not a Christian is that they say that they have no sin.

So, 1 John 1:8 is also speaking of someone who is not a Christian; but what makes them not a Christian is not that they have sin; but that they say that they have no sin.

A Christian has been cleansed of all unrighteousness, so what type of person would be a liar if they say they have no sin when they do? Think carefully.

1 John 3:5
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

Would that person who has no sin be a liar to say they have no sin?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, 1 John 1:8 is also speaking of someone who is not a Christian; but what makes them not a Christian is not that they have sin; but that they say that they have no sin.

True. Verses 6, 8 and 10 are all non-Christians.

If someone is a liar for saying they have no sin, then they can't be a Christian with no sin.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian has been cleansed of all unrighteousness, so what type of person would be a liar if they say they have no sin when they do? Think carefully.

1 John 3:5
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

Would that person who has no sin be a liar to say they have no sin?
There is not one of us who has no sin (1 John 1:8 is clear on that; also Galatians 3:22, Romans 3:23).

So yes, it would be a lie to say that we have no sin.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is not one of us who has no sin (1 John 1:8 is clear on that).

So yes, it would be a lie to say that we have no sin.

No what makes them a liar if they say they have no sin, is because they do have sin - thus are not cleansed of their unrighteousness.

You are believing a lie. But, that is up to you. Personally, I am not a sinner; I am a Christian, a child of God. Jesus literally took the desire to sin out of my nature on 2/9/1977.

We must be born again.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No what makes them a liar if they say they have no sin, is because they do have sin - thus are not cleansed of their unrighteousness.

You are believing a lie. But, that is up to you. Personally, I am not a sinner; I am a Christian, a child of God. Jesus literally took the desire to sin out of my nature on 2/9/1977.

We must be born again.
You are a sinner (1 John 1:8, Galatians 3:22, Romans 3:23);

And it is only the unbelieving ones who deny this reality that they are sinners in need of a Saviour.

Because if you are not a sinner, then you can put your trust in the fact that you are not a sinner and you don't need Jesus or His shed blood to redeem you...so why would you avail yourself of its provision?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are a sinner (1 John 1:8, Galatians 3:22, Romans 3:23);

And it is only the unbelieving ones who deny this reality that they are sinners in need of a Saviour.

Because if you are not a sinner, then you can put your trust in the fact that you are not a sinner and you don't need Jesus or His shed blood to redeem you...so why would you avail yourself of its provision?

Before I turned to Christ I WAS A SINNER.

But I've been redeemed. If you are still an active sinner, you can't be a believer in the Christ of the gospel who takes away the sin of the world. You are believing the Reformation false doctrine of "we will always be sinners" and not in the power of the Spirit to free us from sin.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As long as you are in this flesh, you will have indwelling sin (1 John 1:8, Romans 7:18) and this makes you a sinner in that sense.

In another sense, you may not be a sinner. In the sense that you "do not" and "cannot" commit sin (1 John 3:9). In the sense that while abiding in Christ, you "sin not" (1 John 3:6).

But the scripture has concluded all (including the redeemed) under sin, in order that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe (Galatians 3:22).

For all have sinned and come short (present tense) of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).

This is a trustworthy saying and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the wolrd to save sinners; of whom I am chief (1 Timothy 1:15).

On that last one, it is a saying that you should adopt to your own life as a saying that you say often.
If you are not a sinner in the sense that I have said that you are a sinner, then you don't need Christ or His shed blood.

Why then would you then avail yourself of its provision?

Last edited:

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul makes it abundantly clear that Christians are Still Sinners....Gal 6:1..... “ my FELLOW CHRISTIANS, If a man is caught in any Trespass ( Sin), ye That are Spiritual ,restore that person in a spirit of meekness and
keep an eye on yourself! You May be the NEXT one to fall into Temptation...”
If Christians are above sinning, why does God talk so much about “ chastising” His Own ( Christians, like you ) and revealing that if you Do NOT get “ taken to the Woodshed” when you are disobedient , you are a “ Bastard” and NOT one of His?
Maybe your “ desire” to sin is gone but Jesus made clear that even your thoughts are going to be judged.....if you have a lustful thought, you are no better than a Rapist.....if you harbor hateful thought about others ....you are no better than a murderer in the eyes of God .And then we have all of those nasty “ Sins Of Omission” That some NEVER want to discuss!....Some really need to “ Give it up” when it comes to “Sinless Perfection”...... Whichever way one turns, God has us “ trapped like rats”......admit you are a Sinner, handle your Sins in the same manner that God does —- put them on the Cross —-and Trust in His Grace and thank Him for that Grace....
Even Abraham was a Sinner.......a Liar, an Adulterer , disobedient to God at times.....He was not a perfect man.....a Sinless man....he was not “ Righteous”..... any “ Righteousness” He could delight In was an “ IMPUTED” one! Just like me and just like you.....I am the TRUE “ Chief Of Sinners”, But God takes my Faith and “ COUNTS” it as “ Righteousness”.......Notice the words, “ IMPUTED” and “COUNTED AS?”........ they are Qualifiers.Big Ones. If we were Truly “ Righteous” , like Jesus was, there would be no need for additional qualifying words......God Bless....

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'For in that He (the Lord Jesus Christ) died,
.. He died unto sin once:
.... but in that He liveth,
...... He liveth unto God.
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin,
but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body,
that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin:
but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead,
and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
For sin shall not have dominion over you:
for
ye are not under the law, but under grace.
(Rom 6:10-14)

* This is a reckoning of faith. This is the key to victorious living.

Praise God!

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Let me ask you the same question I asked Nancy. Is 1 John 1:6 a Christian?
'This then is the message which we (John & the twelve) have heard of Him, and declare unto you,
that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.
If we
(believers) say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another,
and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins,
and to clea nse us from all unrighteousness.
If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.'

(1 John 1:5-10)

* The words 'We', 'Us' and 'Our,'indicates that this is written by and to people of like precious faith. John identifies himself with his hearers.
* Just believe what it says, and -

Praise God!

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
?
Popularity
Acceptance by others
Approval by others
?
If someone who says they are bought by the blood of Jesus, (I think referenced in 1st John), if they are walking in darkness, sinning daily in words and in deeds,
and they say they are not sinning,
and they say they are in the light,
contrary to all that Scripture says,
is it possible that they are telling the truth ? No, according to all Scripture, there is no truth in them. No light. They are full of darkness according to Scripture.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As long as you are in this flesh, you will have indwelling sin (1 John 1:8, Romans 7:18) and this makes you a sinner in that sense.

In another sense, you may not be a sinner. In the sense that you "do not" and "cannot" commit sin (1 John 3:9). In the sense that while abiding in Christ, you "sin not" (1 John 3:6).

But the scripture has concluded all (including the redeemed) under sin, in order that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe (Galatians 3:22).

For all have sinned and come short (present tense) of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).

This is a trustworthy saying and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the wolrd to save sinners; of whom I am chief (1 Timothy 1:15).

On that last one, it is a saying that you should adopt to your own life as a saying that you say often.
If you are not a sinner in the sense that I have said that you are a sinner, then you don't need Christ or His shed blood.

Romans 8:9 shows that a Christian is NOT IN THE FLESH. Only unbelievers without the infilling of the Holy Spirit sin in the flesh. jbf, 1 John 1:8 goes with 1 John 1:9 as a before and after. Before being cleansed of all sin, if you say you are without sin, you are a liar. 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10 are all without the Holy Spirit; they are in darkness, that is why they would be lying if they said they have no sin. Not sure why you keep throwing out scriptures like 1 John 1:8 and Romans 7:18 as if they were Christians. They're not, so why are you relating to them???

You are doing it again with 1 Timothy 1:15. Put it in context! Taking one sentence out of context of the whole shows immaturity in the study of the Word.

12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, 13 although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 14 And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 1:15 is a trustworthy saying that is worthy of all acceptation; that each and every one of us is to adopt to our own lives.

It is not to say that we are sinners in the sense that we sin; but it is to say that we are sinners in the sense that we have indwelling sin.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what I mean by, as long as you are in this flesh, is, that as long as you are dwelling in a human body and have not yet received your glorified body.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 1:15 is a trustworthy saying that is worthy of all acceptation; that each and every one of us is to adopt to our own lives.

It is not to say that we are sinners in the sense that we sin; but it is to say that we are sinners in the sense that we have indwelling sin.

We are not sinners, we are children of God. Paul is not bragging about being a sinner. He is not in the flesh, but in the Spirit. Otherwise he wouldn't be a Christian. Being born again is not something you slip in and out of. I've been in the Spirit for 43 years! I don't sin, and I don't miss it.

Those that struggle with the flesh like the person in Romans 7:14-23 is someone who does NOT have the Spirit of Christ indwelling them; thus, they do not belong to Christ, but to the Law.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @CharismaticLady,

It is sad to read your entries in this thread.

To argue is futile.
May God's word be the arbiter.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Those that struggle with the flesh like the person in Romans 7:14-23 is someone who does NOT have the Spirit of Christ indwelling them; thus, they do not belong to Christ, but to the Law.
No one is under the law, but they who choose to be under the law. get over it. We are "ALL" under grace, but its beliefs that saves us by His grace.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is under the law, but they who choose to be under the law. get over it. We are "ALL" under grace, but its beliefs that saves us by His grace.

Yes we are under grace. But if you believe grace is abject lawlessness, you would be gravely mistaken to twist the definition of the grace of the New Covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.