• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr C

Jul 9, 2020
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While an obedient lifestyle may indeed be the result of walking in the light, it is not what walking in the light consists of. It consists of being transparent before God; practically 1 John 1:7 is tied to 1 John 1:9 in that confessing our sins is a practical method of walking in the light as He is in the light. He is then able to cleanse us from all sin / unrighteousness, so that our practical walk is holy as it is written in 1 John 3:6 and 1 John 3:9.

Also, the Lord does not make an obedient lifestyle essential to salvation. Even if a man is spiritually uncircumcised, the righteousness of the Lord may be imputed to him (Romans 2:28-29, Romans 4:11). He justifies even the ungodly person (Romans 4:5). And, salvation is not based on our performance but on faith in Jesus alone (Galatians 2:16).

We know that if a man is genuinely saved through faith alone, that it will have an effect on his lifestyle. However, it is not that God bases our salvation on our lifestyle, but that if we are truly born again, our lifestyle will be affected for the better. Thus, if we do not have an obedient lifestyle, it can be determined that we have not been born again.

But again, we do not live an obedient lifestyle in order to be born again. We are born again through faith in Jesus Christ; and this produces an obedient lifestyle. If our salvation is evidenced by our lifestyle it does not mean that we are saved because we have an obedient lifestyle. We do not want to put the cart before the horse. The horse that pulls along our works in God is simple faith; which we are alone saved by and through.
What does Doing TRUTH consist of? (1Jn 1:6) (Jn 3:19-21)(Rom.6:16-18)(1Jn 3:7)(1Jn 2:3-6)

Must one REPENT of his sins to be saved? (Luke 13:3) (Acts 3:19)

If one must repent to be saved, would that prove that confession alone does not save?

It seems that (Rom. 6:16-18) says correct obedience came before being freed from sins.

I like to post (Rom. 4:12) when someone goes to Abraham.

Ro 4:12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also WALK IN THE STEPS OF THAT FAITH of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

The bible nowhere says man is saved by faith ALONE.

Mr C

Jul 9, 2020
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever thought of "we" as mankind? You should.

unsaved

saved

unsaved

to be saved

unsaved. Mr. C have you ever asked yourself why 8 and 10 are not together? Why does 9 separate them, and why is 9 not after verse 10? It is because they are a list of contrasts - light vs. darkness.

unsaved

saved
The first 3 verses of (1Jn 1) is the qualifications of an apostle.

So we know the word "WE" is referring to the saved in this text. (no doubt)

The person writing (John) is a Christian and he is addressing christians.

The word "IF" shows the necessity of correct obedience to the word of God.)

The word "IF" means "UPON THE CONDITION THAT"

Salvation is conditional based upon mans correct response to the word of God. (Rom.6:16-18)(1Jn 3:7)

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
from that list of verses, there are no Christians to be seen anywhere because the scripture says that if we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. That means we are all liars.
Obviously, 1 Jn. 1:8 is not speaking to Christians anymore than verse 10 means that John includes himself and Real Christians under the umbrella of those who claim they have never sinned! Are there Christians in existence that deny that they need an Advocate with the Father? That they never needed forgiveness and cleansing from all sin? If they have no guilt of sin (v.8) and have "never sinned" (v.10), in what capacity could the work of Christ on the Cross qualify Jesus as a "Savior"? From what?

Such would be absurd to apply these two passages to Christians.

You claim that if some Christian claims that God can actually cleanse from ALL SIN and ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, that they are LIARS, even though that claim is made by Scripture that ALL SIN is cleansed, which one can only conclude that NO SIN is left uncleansed. Along with others, disbelieve the vast overwhelming statements to the contrary in this Epistle, and all your energy is dedicated to dismantle their obvious meaning so that they can be twisted to conform to your view of what one's personal failures are, and what one single verse says when it is wrenched from its context.

The opposite conclusion from what yours is, you think that John is a liar, and that no one is ever cleansed from ALL sin and unrighteousness, that God does half a job when He regenerates the soul. Your interpretation suggests that what John meant to say is, "He who sins is a Christian."

Even the unregenerate believes that they are going to heaven they die. One thing that I have found to be quite consistent is, that the unregenerate wishes to avoid hell too! Every natural man flatters himself by thinking that he shall escape it. Most people believe that they are going to be in heaven regardless of what they believe. It is ironic that they are generally satisfied with a religion that makes “themselves” the standard for getting in! If the standard is that they must “be a good person,” to get in, we must ask, “how good is good enough?” It is not surprising that if you ask an individual, they are always “good enough!” No matter how far the bar has to be lowered, an individual will generally include themselves in the category of those that are going to heaven! The “standard” is not what they make it to be, but what God makes it to be. Yet the vast majority of Evangelicals are doing the very same thing by creating a standard in which sin is allowed into the picture, and ignoring what Scripture says is the result of continued sinning. "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it" (Matt. 7:14). So many "Christian" teachers convincingly get others to believe that the gate is wide, and broad is the way. This is not Christianity, it is heresy!

Last edited:
Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first 3 verses of (1Jn 1) is the qualifications of an apostle.

So we know the word "WE" is referring to the saved in this text. (no doubt)

The person writing (John) is a Christian and he is addressing christians.

The word "IF" shows the necessity of correct obedience to the word of God.)

The word "IF" means "UPON THE CONDITION THAT"

Salvation is conditional based upon mans correct response to the word of God. (Rom.6:16-18)(1Jn 3:7)

I don't expect everyone to accept this as the study of Semitic writing styles of the apostles is a bit advanced. But if you are going to understand their meaning, you must understand their eastern culture and styles of writing.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it me you hate, or yourself. I can try to be your friend, but you seem very insecure and think the worst.

I guess maybe you might try thinking all this through again. You seem to be really off into the weeds.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it me you hate, or yourself. I can try to be your friend, but you seem very insecure and think the worst.

Is someone who knowingly commits a sin, is that person born again?

In the past, you've said no, that these are not compatible, the new creation, and willful sin. Do you still think that way?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I think things would go a lot better if you stuck to the theology, and stopped characterizing me.

We can all start sharing our "opinions" of each other, but why?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is someone who knowingly commits a sin, is that person born again?

In the past, you've said no, that these are not compatible, the new creation, and willful sin. Do you still think that way?

Much love!

They would be committing it completely against their nature.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I think things would go a lot better if you stuck to the theology, and stopped characterizing me.

We can all start sharing our "opinions" of each other, but why?

When you characterize me as saying you are not a Christian, that is bearing false witness.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you characterize me as saying you are not a Christian, that is bearing false witness.
That's not what I said.

"You remember, by CL's terms, I'm not a true Christian, I do not know God, I do not have true faith, because I commit sins. That's legalism. And that's what I oppose."

^This is what I said.

I knowingly commit sins. Am I a Christian?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what I said.

"You remember, by CL's terms, I'm not a true Christian, I do not know God, I do not have true faith, because I commit sins. That's legalism. And that's what I oppose."

^This is what I said.

I knowingly commit sins. Am I a Christian?

If you knowingly commit sins, then why?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"having no sin" refers to indwelling sin, not practical sins.

A person can have indwelling sin and yet indwelling sin does not rule over him (Romans 6:14) so that he commits sins practically; because it (indwelling sin) is rendered dead (Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8).
Well stated!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you knowingly commit sins, then why?
I'm very self aware. In fact, I became impatient with my wife just this morning! Fortunately not long, fortunately I was able to get ahold of myself quickly. But there is was. I saw it coming, I saw it happening, it was my sin.

But you haven't answered my question.