Greed...and the Love of Money

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Reading my daily text this morning, I was prompted to post the warnings that are mentioned concerning this 'thing' in human nature that can lead us off the path to life, entirely.

Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of greed.—Luke 12:15.

"Greed led Judas Iscariot to become a despicable traitor. He did not start out that way though. (Luke 6:13, 16) Judas was evidently capable and dependable, for he was in charge of the money box. But at some point, Judas began to steal, despite having heard Jesus’ repeated warnings about greed. (Mark 7:22, 23; Luke 11:39) Judas’ greed became evident during an incident that happened not long before Jesus was put to death. Jesus and his disciples, including Mary and her sister, Martha, were guests of Simon the leper. During the meal, Mary got up and poured on Jesus’ head perfumed oil that cost a lot of money. Judas and the other disciples got very upset. The other disciples may have felt that the money could be better used in the ministry. But Judas’ motive was different. He “was a thief,” and he wanted to steal money from the box.—John 12:2-6; Matt. 26:6-16; Luke 22:3-6. w21.06 18 ¶12-13

Examining the Scriptures Daily—2023

Greed can manifest itself in many ways as the text confirms..."every sort of greed" needs identifying.....the "me first" attitude that is so predominant in a world with no excuses, can mean that many are exploited for the financial gain of others. This is nothing new of course, but in today's enlightened society it is no longer justifiable.

Nowhere is this exploitation seen so clearly than in the exploitation of the poor in order to benefit the mega-rich. Greed is the driver of the commercial system and only satan could be the inventor of such a greedy system.....this is even the case seen here on these boards, sadly, advertising of products is the life or death of any internet site. You can't even talk about God and the Bible without someone trying to sell you something. Who can even watch TV anymore without banks of ads taking way too much time away from the program we are trying to watch..... Facebook....YouTube....any site that people frequent....we see the vultures are sitting, waiting to prey on us.
The old saying is true..."a fool and his money are soon parted". The ads are slick and designed to grab our attention away from what we were viewing before the rude interruption. Propaganda is designed to change opinions about many things.....our food, entertainment, what we drink, where we spend our vacations and a host of other areas like politics and medicine.

Are we awake or asleep as to the extent that our desires are being groomed to want what they are selling.....?

Reactions: Robert Gwin

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Reading my daily text this morning, I was prompted to post the warnings that are mentioned concerning this 'thing' in human nature that can lead us off the path to life, entirely.

Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of greed.—Luke 12:15.

"Greed led Judas Iscariot to become a despicable traitor. He did not start out that way though. (Luke 6:13, 16) Judas was evidently capable and dependable, for he was in charge of the money box. But at some point, Judas began to steal, despite having heard Jesus’ repeated warnings about greed. (Mark 7:22, 23; Luke 11:39) Judas’ greed became evident during an incident that happened not long before Jesus was put to death. Jesus and his disciples, including Mary and her sister, Martha, were guests of Simon the leper. During the meal, Mary got up and poured on Jesus’ head perfumed oil that cost a lot of money. Judas and the other disciples got very upset. The other disciples may have felt that the money could be better used in the ministry. But Judas’ motive was different. He “was a thief,” and he wanted to steal money from the box.—John 12:2-6; Matt. 26:6-16; Luke 22:3-6. w21.06 18 ¶12-13

Examining the Scriptures Daily—2023

Greed can manifest itself in many ways as the text confirms..."every sort of greed" needs identifying.....the "me first" attitude that is so predominant in a world with no excuses, can mean that many are exploited for the financial gain of others. This is nothing new of course, but in today's enlightened society it is no longer justifiable.

Nowhere is this exploitation seen so clearly than in the exploitation of the poor in order to benefit the mega-rich. Greed is the driver of the commercial system and only satan could be the inventor of such a greedy system.....this is even the case seen here on these boards, sadly, advertising of products is the life or death of any internet site. You can't even talk about God and the Bible without someone trying to sell you something. Who can even watch TV anymore without banks of ads taking way too much time away from the program we are trying to watch..... Facebook....YouTube....any site that people frequent....we see the vultures are sitting, waiting to prey on us.
The old saying is true..."a fool and his money are soon parted". The ads are slick and designed to grab our attention away from what we were viewing before the rude interruption. Propaganda is designed to change opinions about many things.....our food, entertainment, what we drink, where we spend our vacations and a host of other areas like politics and medicine.

Are we awake or asleep as to the extent that our desires are being groomed to want what they are selling.....?
Preaching to the converted I guess! ....and who are the converted?.... most of the planet's inhabitants? .....they know greed is a bad thing....so why the blurb on the obvious as if something profound or unfamiliar is being said?.....it's like saying, look how dark black is.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Preaching to the converted I guess! ....and who are the converted?.... most of the planet's inhabitants? .....they know greed is a bad thing....so why the blurb on the obvious as if something profound or unfamiliar is being said?.....it's like saying, look how dark black is.
When I read the replies here sometimes, it is as though the black is seen as white, and the propaganda indicates that it isn't dark at all....people will believe what they are told, if the right people tell them....why do celebrities endorse products?.....its human nature....?

Jesus actually preached to the converted, didn't he? His audience were exclusively Jewish as he said. Sometimes you have to state the obvious to wake people up. Did Jesus believe that he was going to wake everybody up? I hardly think so....but for those who did, his ministry was not in vain even though the vast majority rejected him on the say-so of their religious leaders.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I read the replies here sometimes, it is as though the black is seen as white, and the propaganda indicates that it isn't dark at all....people will believe what they are told, if the right people tell them....why do celebrities endorse products?.....its human nature....?

Jesus actually preached to the converted, didn't he? His audience were exclusively Jewish as he said. Sometimes you have to state the obvious to wake people up. Did Jesus believe that he was going to wake everybody up? I hardly think so....but for those who did, his ministry was not in vain even though the vast majority rejected him on the say-so of their religious leaders.
I think you have a higher estimation of the value of your words than is objectively true AJ

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think you have a higher estimation of the value of your words than is objectively true AJ
I think you overestimate your own comments here too QT.....I have yet to see a positive one....are you always this negative?
You must be fun to be around..... :ummm: