Gun Control

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I do not see your point. My point is that arming the populous does not guarantee a free people.

It does however, suggest a situation Syria has been experiencing over the past couple of years.

We Americans, have romantic ideas of shooting down our tyrannical government - as if we had a united purpose, the will to carry it out and enough fire power to succeed! What a pipe dream! And the same people who are so confident in their abilities to topple governments have zero confidence in the Amareican people, who they berate for being lazy snowflakes, sapping our GDP by refusing to work and living on welfare!

Guns are as healthy and useful as cigarettes
Hi aspen,

Look at the history of countries that took guns away from their citizens BEFORE they began to slaughter them OR the crime rate rose....hint, Australia.

I would rather assist warriors in toppling a rogue government with guns than with rocks and arrows.

Respectfully, Mary

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi aspen,

Look at the history of countries that took guns away from their citizens BEFORE they began to slaughter them OR the crime rate rose....hint, Australia.

I would rather assist warriors in toppling a rogue government with guns than with rocks and arrows.

Respectfully, Mary

Are you prepared to suffer the same fate as the Syrian rebels? All I am saying is that it is easy to talk....

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I do not see your point. My point is that arming the populous does not guarantee a free people.

It does however, suggest a situation Syria has been experiencing over the past couple of years.

We Americans, have romantic ideas of shooting down our tyrannical government - as if we had a united purpose, the will to carry it out and enough fire power to succeed! What a pipe dream! And the same people who are so confident in their abilities to topple governments have zero confidence in the Amareican people, who they berate for being lazy snowflakes, sapping our GDP by refusing to work and living on welfare!

Guns are as healthy and useful as cigarettes
No, you're not making sense on any level here. Your logic is all backwards. You don't keep the wolves away by dropping your guard...and there are wolves. Even if the odds are slim to none, you always go with slim as opposed to none. So your argument of surrender without a fight because of the odds, just doesn't hold water.

The number of freedom fighters is in direct proportion to the number of snowflakes...that is why gun sales go up every time gun control is in the news. So, if you want gun control, you need to stop attacking gun rights.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you're not making sense on any level here. Your logic is all backwards. You don't keep the wolves away by dropping your guard...and there are wolves. Even if the odds are slim to none, you always go with slim as opposed to none. So your argument of surrender without a fight because of the odds, just doesn't hold water.

The number of freedom fighters is in direct proportion to the number of snowflakes...that is why gun sales go up every time gun control is in the news. So, if you want gun control, you need to stop attacking gun rights.

You think freedom fighters are buying those guns? Ha....frightened people are buying those guns.

Jesus didn’t pick up arms against the Romans or the Jewish leaders who persecuted and crucified him. The early outlaw church didn’t either.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think freedom fighters are buying those guns? Ha....frightened people are buying those guns.
Frightened people would only be a small percentage. But, there again, you have not properly identified the problem and are acting out of prejudice - "frightened people" are not the problem.

Jesus didn’t pick up arms against the Romans or the Jewish leaders who persecuted and crucified him. The early outlaw church didn’t either.
No, but Joshua and David did, and even Jesus indicated there was a time to take up the sword:

Luke 22:36
Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you prepared to suffer the same fate as the Syrian rebels? All I am saying is that it is easy to talk....
You mean the rebels without guns? Yes. I would rather my men defend me with guns than rocks.

Mary

Reactions: Helen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Frightened people would only be a small percentage. But, there again, you have not properly identified the problem and are acting out of prejudice - "frightened people" are not the problem.

No, but Joshua and David did, and even Jesus indicated there was a time to take up the sword:

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

I haven’t agreed with your understanding of what the problem is - i do not understand what you have identified as the problem.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean the rebels without guns? Yes. I would rather my men defend me with guns than rocks.

Mary

Syrian rebels are armed, marymog. Maybe you are confusing them with Palistinians in the 1980s

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Actually Jesus taught his own disciples to arm themselves, for defense.
Are you a disciple of Jesus and do as He taught?

God Bless,
Taken

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Jesus taught his own disciples to arm themselves, for defense.
Are you a disciple of Jesus and do as He taught?

God Bless,
Taken
Well then they didn't listen or forgot what He taught them. Please remind me, which ones put up a fight before being taken captive or put to death? He was/is the defense.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well then they didn't listen or forgot what He taught them. Please remind me, which ones put up a fight before being taken captive or put to death? He was/is the defense.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

There are TWO swords.

Jesus' Sword - ie His Word, which cuts and divides those with Him, those against Him.
Matt 10:34

Man's Sword - a metal blade.

Those who have become converted have had Jesus' Sword, cut off their old natural, and imparted His Sword forward to them...ie
His Word, His Power, His "armour".
Eph 6:11

A man with the Spirit of God, fully awake, has the "armour" of God, as a defense to diffuse a situation.

However thieves sneak in the night, when men are not fully awake, coming with metal swords to overtake the weary.

Jesus taught a several lessons.
TO be prepared to defend oneself WITH the Lords "armour" or AGAINST thieves in the night WITH a metal blade.

ALSO; it may be those "of authority" who may sneak in the night....and "Submit" to "THEM"..

Jesus' disciples came prepared with metal swords, but none of the "authorites" drew on them....thus also they should not have drawn against the authorites.

Jesus' also did not use HIS "sword" of power against the authorities. The Authorities were "doing" what was expected and necessary for Jesus to Fuflill Scripture.

The Lesson is to be prepared; with a metal sword, (against the unsuspecting) be prepared; with the armour of Christ, be prepared to submit to authorities;

Some sneaking men can be staved off when the sneak can observe ONE is NOT swordless.

Some men can be staved off when the power of Gods armour, word against word, is the manner of staving off.

And a man with the armour of God, it matters not if a man kills your body, there is nothing more he can do....because your soul and spirit he can not corrupt or kill.

You can refresh you own knowledge, from Scripture...
MATT 10
MATT 26
MARK 14
LUKE 22
JOHN 18

And you can ask God for His Wisdom and Understanding in the matter.

God Bless,
Taken

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are TWO swords.

Jesus' Sword - ie His Word, which cuts and divides those with Him, those against Him.
Matt 10:34

Man's Sword - a metal blade.

Those who have become converted have had Jesus' Sword, cut off their old natural, and imparted His Sword forward to them...ie
His Word, His Power, His "armour".
Eph 6:11

A man with the Spirit of God, fully awake, has the "armour" of God, as a defense to diffuse a situation.

However thieves sneak in the night, when men are not fully awake, coming with metal swords to overtake the weary.

Jesus taught a several lessons.
TO be prepared to defend oneself WITH the Lords "armour" or AGAINST thieves in the night WITH a metal blade.

ALSO; it may be those "of authority" who may sneak in the night....and "Submit" to "THEM"..

Jesus' disciples came prepared with metal swords, but none of the "authorites" drew on them....thus also they should not have drawn against the authorites.

Jesus' also did not use HIS "sword" of power against the authorities. The Authorities were "doing" what was expected and necessary for Jesus to Fuflill Scripture.

The Lesson is to be prepared; with a metal sword, (against the unsuspecting) be prepared; with the armour of Christ, be prepared to submit to authorities;

Some sneaking men can be staved off when the sneak can observe ONE is NOT swordless.

Some men can be staved off when the power of Gods armour, word against word, is the manner of staving off.

And a man with the armour of God, it matters not if a man kills your body, there is nothing more he can do....because your soul and spirit he can not corrupt or kill.

You can refresh you own knowledge, from Scripture...
MATT 10
MATT 26
MARK 14
LUKE 22
JOHN 18

And you can ask God for His Wisdom and Understanding in the matter.

God Bless,
Taken
Hmm. Then I'll answer....
The only time I can think of that the disciples tried to use a sword was when Peter smote the high priests servant, Malchus, ear off. And was rebuked for doing so. And not just told to stop but told what would happen if you "live by the sword". I guess we as individuals have to decide what we are being told when we read the story.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm. Then I'll answer....
The only time I can think of that the disciples tried to use a sword was when Peter smote the high priests servant, Malchus, ear off. And was rebuked for doing so. And not just told to stop but told what would happen if you "live by the sword". I guess we as individuals have to decide what we are being told when we read the story.

Already addressed the disciple using his sword. It was an "offense", not a "defense" and Jesus restored the mans ear.

Still nothing changed in Scripture.
Men were told to be prepared, with metal swords AS well be prepared with the Power of Gods Sword: amour

The key is understanding the Principle of how and when to use either or neither.

God Bless,
Taken

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven’t agreed with your understanding of what the problem is - i do not understand what you have identified as the problem.
The problem is: what makes people resort to gun violence...or knife violence, or club violence, etc., and not the guns, knives, clubs, etc. are not the problem.

You are purposing a band aid on the hand or foot of a person with a brain tumor. I am suggesting we leave the hand and foot alone and deal with the tumor. Or something like that.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is: what makes people resort to gun violence...or knife violence, or club violence, etc., and not the guns, knives, clubs, etc. are not the problem.

You are purposing a band aid on the hand or foot of a person with a brain tumor. I am suggesting we leave the hand and foot alone and deal with the tumor. Or something like that.

So you are suggesting that we need to fix people who want to misuse guns rather than limit gun use?
Can you provide any examples of how we are supposed to do this? How about how this line of reasoning has worked in other situations?

1. ‘Seatbelt laws don’t work because they are just a bandaid - people need to learn to drive safely’
2. ‘Banning slavery isn’t effective - people need to learn how to respect others’
3. ‘Women don’t need to be able to vote - they need to learn how to agree with their husbands.’

You are arguing against the rule of law. Our nation was founded on laws.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are suggesting that we need to fix people who want to misuse guns rather than limit gun use?
Can you provide any examples of how we are supposed to do this? How about how this line of reasoning has worked in other situations?

1. ‘Seatbelt laws don’t work because they are just a bandaid - people need to learn to drive safely’
2. ‘Banning slavery isn’t effective - people need to learn how to respect others’
3. ‘Women don’t need to be able to vote - they need to learn how to agree with their husbands.’

You are arguing against the rule of law. Our nation was founded on laws.

Our nation was established on Liberty with the intent of a FEW laws, to govern a FEW things.

God Bless,
Taken