Have you ever been disappointed in what you read in the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My point. I’m dissapointed I am cannot understand fully the entire meaning. I’m just overwhelmed. But I guess this is the point. God is an overwhelming and beyond real. It takes lifetimes to begin to understand fully.

Im on my way..
Who can fully understand God, but with the help of the Helper - the Holy Spirit - we will be able to understand what we need to understand as scripture reveals its message to us.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point. I’m dissapointed I am cannot understand fully the entire meaning. I’m just overwhelmed. But I guess this is the point. God is an overwhelming and beyond real. It takes lifetimes to begin to understand fully.

Im on my way..
The Bible isn't a book that one can read and "get it" on the first pass, or even the first few readings. It's something that needs to be studied.
@MatthewG recommended getting a good study Bible. I also like what @Robert Gwin wrote about using multiple versions of the Bible. Great advice from both members. Even though I'm Catholic, I also have a good (Catholic) study Bible, filled with footnotes, cross-references and commentary. Also, there are some decent websites that are helpful when it comes to translations.

One thing about studying the Bible is to take your time. Some days, you might be able to get through several Chapters. Other days, you might get stuck on a passage, a verse or even a word. Some people highlight the passages that resonate with them. Others use post-its or even start a Bible journal for their own questions and/or comments.

Remember, there are some Bible Scholars--those who make it their life's work to study and interpret the Bible, who still don't understand all of it. So, all in all, don't be too hard on yourself.

Reactions: Nancy and MatthewG

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I have. I hope I’m forgiven for that. I am.

example: the parables. I had to get an NIV Bible for help.

i think about pre-internet when you had to ask somebody to explain.

Important messages.
Yeah God and His word are a big Mountain. Baby steps. Keep reading. He will not disappoint. And if you don't understand something, you certainly can ask God about it...but it hardly matters. If God wants you to understand, the blinkers will come on and the truck will turn in wherever He wants you to go. Relax. Enjoy the ride!

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
knowledge brings sorrow
he who says that he knows anything does not yet know it as he ought
to him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat

Yes I have. I hope I’m forgiven for that. I am.

example: the parables. I had to get an NIV Bible for help.

i think about pre-internet when you had to ask somebody to explain.

Important messages.
so, your “example” is fairly broad, and “disappointed” is pretty general too, but i bet pretty much everyone experiences those, where the Bible is concerned?

Jun 29, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
knowledge brings sorrow
he who says that he knows anything does not yet know it as he ought
to him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat

so, your “example” is fairly broad, and “disappointed” is pretty general too, but i bet pretty much everyone experiences those, where the Bible is concerned?
Certainly. I love The Word

Jun 29, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah God and His word are a big Mountain. Baby steps. Keep reading. He will not disappoint. And if you don't understand something, you certainly can ask God about it...but it hardly matters. If God wants you to understand, the blinkers will come on and the truck will turn in wherever He wants you to go. Relax. Enjoy the ride!
Exactly. Bless you. I need more trucking parables …

Reactions: Nancy and ScottA
Jun 29, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible isn't a book that one can read and "get it" on the first pass, or even the first few readings. It's something that needs to be studied.
@MatthewG recommended getting a good study Bible. I also like what @Robert Gwin wrote about using multiple versions of the Bible. Great advice from both members. Even though I'm Catholic, I also have a good (Catholic) study Bible, filled with footnotes, cross-references and commentary. Also, there are some decent websites that are helpful when it comes to translations.

One thing about studying the Bible is to take your time. Some days, you might be able to get through several Chapters. Other days, you might get stuck on a passage, a verse or even a word. Some people highlight the passages that resonate with them. Others use post-its or even start a Bible journal for their own questions and/or comments.

Remember, there are some Bible Scholars--those who make it their life's work to study and interpret the Bible, who still don't understand all of it. So, all in all, don't be too hard on yourself.
Great words about The Word. Bless you

Jun 29, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Monty, welcome to the forum sir. Yes I guess if every Christian were honest, they would have to admit that sometimes they question God's actions, perhaps thinking they might have resolved an issue a different way. That simply comes from our imperfect nature.

Seek and you shall find, if you are sincere, and you truly search for answers God will provide them. with the start of Christianity Jesus sent disciples out to teach sincere ones to observe all the things he commanded Mat 28:20. He will see to it you will be answered, although many do not accept the answers when they receive them. Using multiple versions of the Bible is a great asset for understanding for sure.
Great advice

bless you

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol

that’s true…Jesus needed to dumb down the Word for this dude from time to time.

luckily I have Wikipedia …Ultimately God made the internet. The good parts of the internet .

Welcome to CB @montana2manila
I can see where some younger Christians who have not been married or had kids and want time to be able to do that, especially if hearing about "end times" being so close.
They have no clue (none of us really do) what He has in store for them if they continue on in Him.

The parables...you got some great advice from several on here about study and study bibles, I always look at the different versions and compare. Try Biblehub or Bibegateway for good studies.
I hope you will like it here, and you will grow. Don't let some on here discourage you...
nancy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who can fully understand God, but with the help of the Helper - the Holy Spirit - we will be able to understand what we need to understand as scripture reveals its message to us.

How does Jesus feed his sheep today Pearl?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How does Jesus feed his sheep today Pearl?
By speaking to us and showing us things either in scripture, through others, in nature or even in dreams in my own experience. The Helper helps us to understand.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..example: the parables. I had to get an NIV Bible for help...

Chill, even some of the disciples couldn't understand the parable of the sower and Jesus had to explain it to them..:)
"Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable?" (Mark 4:13)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Putting away your own carnal mind is a major start which will immediately open up the Bible to your spirit:

“Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.” (Romans 8:7)

So we must:

“…put off concerning the former lifestyle the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind” (Ephesians 4:22-23)

“…And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” (Romans 12:1-2)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No.

But I’m very disappointed in how many Christian’s handle it!

Jun 29, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No.

But I’m very disappointed in how many Christian’s handle it!
You gave to understand we are not perfect. Love, forgive, mentor, pray.

GOD Bless you

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By speaking to us and showing us things either in scripture, through others, in nature or even in dreams in my own experience. The Helper helps us to understand.

Great answer Pearl, God uses all those things to reveal His truths to us, although if He is literally speaking to you, I believe I might seek professional help! o_O:)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great answer Pearl, God uses all those things to reveal His truths to us, although if He is literally speaking to you, I believe I might seek professional help! o_O:)
Holy Spirit does speak. He is the Spirit of Truth, the Spirit of Christ, the Comforter. I have heard Him speak to me, bringing scripture back to my remembrance when I needed it. When He speaks, it's exactly what I need at that given time.

John 10:27
[27]My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

John 10:4-5
[4]And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
[5]And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

@montana2manila if you want to learn to hear His voice, get more Word.

Romans 10:17
[17]So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith comes by hearing (God) and hearing (God) comes by the Word of God. So it starts by knowing God's Word.

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..I guess if every Christian were honest, they would have to admit that sometimes they question God's actions, perhaps thinking they might have resolved an issue a different way. That simply comes from our imperfect nature..

Today's wimpy pol-correct snowflakes don't like God because he's too tough for them..:)

Snowflake-safe-space.jpg

But I like him BECAUSE of his toughness, we don't want a soft indecisive flip-flopping God..:)

rel god-point2 (1).jpg