Headship, Submission and Women in Ministry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
StanJ said:
Nope...glad we agree for once. :)
:rolleyes:
Drink your stale beer and enjoy your leftover pizza and your jerky...
I do hope there is a woman somewhere to pick up after you...
Because I do believe I'm about done trying to talk to you.
You have too much animosity for someone like me to deal with.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
:rolleyes:
Drink your stale beer and enjoy your leftover pizza and your jerky...
I do hope there is a woman somewhere to pick up after you...
Because I do believe I'm about done trying to talk to you.
You have too much animosity for someone like me to deal with.
Don't like reciprocal heat aye Barrd?

I don't drink beer, I eat all my pizza and I can't stand jerky. I do all my own chores.

I have no animosity whatsoever. That would be YOU projecting.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll try to respond briefly to your comments, Barrd.

1. Thanks for giving me the benefit of doubt and the apology. I mean it.

2. Perhaps it would help if you quoted the verses you think prohibit 1 Tim. 2 from what it appears to mean. I personally do not see any conflict with other verses in the Bible.

3. I didn't say being a woman was like being a homosexual. Where are you getting this? I have said multiple times that I am not comparing a woman teaching with homosexuality. However, the Biblical exegesis of one is very similar to the other. My point is that the arguments you are using in your contention for women teaching is the exact same argumentation used by homosexuals to validate their lifestyle. To be very clear, I am comparing your hermeneutics to homosexual hermeneutics...that is all. Please assume that from now on if I make any comparison between the two. I assure you I am talking only about how the two groups interpret the Bible and am not comparing the acts of a woman teaching with homosexuality.

4. Yes, I would estimate that blog is about 20 pages long....give or take a few.. You wanted me to read it because it explained your views and why you reject the natural reading of the text, correct?

5. I don't know what you are getting at with the background statements. Of course we should understand the historical background. However, there is nothing in this text to suggest that Paul was referring to a particular problem in this congregation with a certain woman and he only made these remarks because these serious women who liked to cut themselves and beat up the man-folk decided to be preachers in the local church. Paul gives no such indication nor do we know this was the specific case in the Ephesus church. You are creating a reality in this particular church to dismiss a biblical command.

6. What are you talking about? I was quoting you with the term "simple housewife." So I am sexist for quoting you? The reference to "child" was talking about my own children being able to read and understand the Bible and how they would respond to me if I were to have them read this text. Let's not twist my words and play the victim game. I never called you simple or a housewife. I was referring to your statements with your terminology and was essentially saying, "if a simple housewife or child can understand it, why do you need a 20 page blog filled with history and Greek to explain why the verses do not mean anything..."

7. There are lots of words only used once or twice in the NT. We can speculate about maybe why such a word is used, but we shouldn't allow that speculation to create new definitions and dismiss commands..

8. Actually, I would prefer if the "housewife" and others who do not know Greek leave the Strongs concordances alone. I have seen people do more damage with a handful of conjecture and a Greek concordance than it's worth. Suddenly people who don't know Greek start to create new doctrines and discount translations put together by dozens of scholars on account of their concordance and Greek dictionary.

9. Of course I don't believe your English Bible is inferior. You are the one using Greek to suggest Paul is really only talking about abusive women who a usurping authority, not me. I am fine with the English versions. I think they very clearly communicate the verses and they say nothing of "that woman" or "the woman" or "exercise domineering authority" or, "I do not permit currently a woman...." and so forth as you have been arguing. I am just showing why the English translations we have are right and how this blogger is wrong in how these verses COULD or should "literally" be understood.

10. Since when did I say you needed a fancy theology degree to exegete Scripture. I am not the one pointing to bloggers who use Greek and historical backgrounds as rationale for saying Paul actually means the opposite of what he appears to be saying. Remember, I am the one arguing for the simple reading of the text. You are the one calling in Greek and so forth to prove we don't have to obey Paul.

11. I am not being an intellectual snob. I am saying that you are allowing some random guy on the Internet with a keyboard to cause you to ignore clear passages in the NT. Furthermore, you were criticizing me for not reading the blog out of some apparent unwillingness to learn. And you seem more eager to accept the Greek musings of a guy who has a finance degree to a group of PhDs who have studied one particular Greek word in 13 centuries of documents. So I wonder....why would this be? Certainly it wouldn't have anything to do with the blogger coming to conclusions that you have already deemed to be truth...could it?

12. I Think it's great that you have accomplished so much. Furthermore, I think it's awesome that the Lord intervened and spared your life. Again, Please to not hear my argument for women not teaching in the assembly based on these passages with the idea that women shouldn't vote, work or are not precious to God. Far from it. This has nothing to do with value or ability. Nor does it have anything to do with women working, providing for themselves or their ability. This only relates to the local church gathering and the marriage relationship.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:
I'll try to respond briefly to your comments, Barrd.

1. Thanks for giving me the benefit of doubt and the apology. I mean it.

2. Perhaps it would help if you quoted the verses you think prohibit 1 Tim. 2 from what it appears to mean. I personally do not see any conflict with other verses in the Bible.
I'm sure that you know that the Bible is chuck full of women that were chosen by God for various reasons. My favorite, of course, is the lady I was named for...Deborah.
Deborah was no meek, quiet little "housewife". No, sir. She was a warrior! Israel's brave captain, Barak, would not go out to face Sisera without this strong leader. She judged Israel...I'm sure you know her story. And of course, Deb's story would not be complete without Jael...another strong woman. Her husband had ties with the Canaanites, it seems, and so Sisera saw their encampment as the perfect place to run to after Deborah and Barak had routed his army of chariots...with a little help from God, of course.
He couldn't have been more wrong. Jael lured him to sleep with some milk and a smile, and she drove a tent stake through his head.
These are just a couple of the ladies of the OT. There are many, many more, I'm sure you know. Rahab. Esther. Naomi and her daughter in law, Ruth. Hulda. Miriam.
Then there are the gals of the New Testament.
Jesus never once told some woman that she ought to keep her mouth shut. He spoke to them face to face, just as He spoke to the men. I've often wondered about that, since He moved about in a heavily male-dominated society...and yet nobody ever called Him on His dealings with women.
Did you know that He had female disciples? I'm sure you did. Joanna, Suzanna, et. al. Mary of Magdala, of course. Why do you suppose that, for 2000 years, people have thought that she was a prostitute? Even though Jesus cast seven demons out of her...and we are not told just what sort of demons these were...she is still seen as being somehow...unclean. Paul, bless him, can stand by and watch Stephen be stoned to death...he can even arrest and kill Christians himself...but Jesus knocks him down and blinds him, and people forget all about his violent past...as, of course, they should, but that isn't the point. Why is Mary, who quite possibly was not a prostitute at all, still seen as somehow, dirty, while Paul, the murderer, is clean? Same goes for the woman taken in adultery, and the Samaritan woman at the well. We know the Samaritan woman went on to tell everyone about Jesus. And there is the lady who had truly been a prostitute, who washed his feet with her tears and dried them with her hair. And Jesus said that what she had done would be remembered always. There were many, many more ladies in Jesus' life. I personally do not believe that most of these gals went quietly back to their old lives once they had met Jesus, do you?
There were 120 people in the Upper Room on the Day of Pentecost. Do you honestly think they were all men? What about the gals I mentioned earlier...Joanna, Suzanna, etc? Don't you think they were there? They had been with Him from the beginning...even when the men bolted, the girls stood with Him, even at the cross, where John was the only guy.
And then, of course, there are the ladies of Romans 16.
There is just too much Biblical evidence that women did, indeed, lead, and instruct, men...chosen as God wills, not as men...or women either...will.
I would advise as Gameliel did, long ago. If this is not from God, relax..it'll die all by itself, without any help from you.
But if it is...do you truly wish to be found fighting against God, Himself?

3. I didn't say being a woman was like being a homosexual. Where are you getting this? I have said multiple times that I am not comparing a woman teaching with homosexuality. However, the Biblical exegesis of one is very similar to the other. My point is that the arguments you are using in your contention for women teaching is the exact same argumentation used by homosexuals to validate their lifestyle. To be very clear, I am comparing your hermeneutics to homosexual hermeneutics...that is all. Please assume that from now on if I make any comparison between the two. I assure you I am talking only about how the two groups interpret the Bible and am not comparing the acts of a woman teaching with homosexuality.
Relax, WW. Women are the last minority, or so it seems. I have a black friend who gets absolutely furious at the way people compare the struggle for gay rights with the struggle for black equality...and she is quite right. She also gets irate when someone compares women to homosexuals, and I agree with her. Yes, gays try to board the feminist wagon...of course they do! You said that homosexuals also accuse you of having bigotry against them in your heart, or at least, that is what I understood you to be saying.
But it isn't you or I that has forbidden homosexuality...it is God that calls their relationships "abomination".
God never said an;y such thing about women. Homosexuals may try to use the same logic...but they can't, because what they are is not normal and natural, the way they try to convince us that it is. It is a perversion of the natural sex drive, just like any other perversion. And I'm pretty sure you know that.
There is nothing wrong or perverted about being a woman. We have every right and reason to fight against sexist bigotry, where ever we find it. There is a very good reason why a gay person should not occupy the pulpit, or serve in any other capacity in the church...at least unless and until he repents of his sin and puts it away from him. I'll be darned if I'm going to repent of being a woman, when there is no sin in it. The homosexual says that God made him that way. If he means that he was born with original sin, then I"d have to agree...but that isn't what he means, and I think we know that. I can honestly say that God made me a woman. I was truly born female. if someone has a problem with me because my equipment is different than his, he needs to take it up with God, Who created us both...
Meantime, I will maintain that God loves His daughters just as much as He loves His sons, and puts no difference between them. God never intended His daughters to keep their mouths shut...if He did, He wouldn't have given us such beautiful voices...

4. Yes, I would estimate that blog is about 20 pages long....give or take a few.. You wanted me to read it because it explained your views and why you reject the natural reading of the text, correct?
I only wanted you to get a feel for the atmosphere in Ephesus. There is no way the people who belonged to the Cult of Diana were going to sit still while the Christian church took over their town. Of course, the women were going to try to infiltrate the new church. In their place, that is exactly what I would do, myself. (When you study law, one of the most important things you learn is to anticipate your opponent.) I would dress down, to look more like the women who were already part of the new church, and I'd get in there and learn as much about them as I could before I made my move. After a bit, I'd start "converting" my sisters...and young Timothy would be delighted to see the church growing.
Of course, my ultimate goal would be to bring these people under the authority of my gal, Diana...
I know you're going to hate me for saying this, WW....but the truth is that a trusting young man is no match for a beautiful, clever woman. He might be able to handle those gals who dressed modestly, and lived meek, sheltered lives...but when a beautiful, strong, and intelligent woman comes along...even to this day, it is the same. Remember, I raised three sons.
And four daughters... Without Paul's wise counsel, those women would have taken Timothy's new church away from him before he knew what was happening. They would have trained him like a puppy... Even the most devout Christian man, in his 20s and 30s, is no challenge to a truly determined woman with both beauty and brains on her side...

5. I don't know what you are getting at with the background statements. Of course we should understand the historical background. However, there is nothing in this text to suggest that Paul was referring to a particular problem in this congregation with a certain woman and he only made these remarks because these serious women who liked to cut themselves and beat up the man-folk decided to be preachers in the local church. Paul gives no such indication nor do we know this was the specific case in the Ephesus church. You are creating a reality in this particular church to dismiss a biblical command.
Since this is the only congregation that gets this particular warning, I think it is fair to assume that he was addressing a particular problem in that community. And the problem involving female authority...well, there is that beautiful Temple full of beautiful young priestesses...not to mention a very lucrative business. No, WW...Diana wasn't going down without a fight.

6. What are you talking about? I was quoting you with the term "simple housewife." So I am sexist for quoting you? The reference to "child" was talking about my own children being able to read and understand the Bible and how they would respond to me if I were to have them read this text. Let's not twist my words and play the victim game. I never called you simple or a housewife. I was referring to your statements with your terminology and was essentially saying, "if a simple housewife or child can understand it, why do you need a 20 page blog filled with history and Greek to explain why the verses do not mean anything..."
What I actually said was:
"I am quite convinced that the Bible was never intended for scholars, but for average, every day folks. Fishermen, carpenters, tent-makers...and women, WW. Simple little housewives and mothers...like me."
Yes, I see I did use the term "simple little housewives and mothers" in this post. I don't usually. I certainly was not implying anything about "cranial capacity", however. My IQ has been tested, although not recently...and I assure you, I have nothing to be ashamed of in that regard.
Actually, I do not need a 20 page blog...or a scholar...or anything else to defend my position here. It is my firm belief that Jesus, Himself, defends it, all through the Bible. We women are the equals of our brothers in all things. One day, perhaps I will talk to you about the submission of women to their husbands at home...but that is another debate for another thread...

7. There are lots of words only used once or twice in the NT. We can speculate about maybe why such a word is used, but we shouldn't allow that speculation to create new definitions and dismiss commands..
It's that idea of "usurping" authority that is not found anywhere else. This, more than anything, suggests to me someone coming in from outside, trying to take what does not belong to them. I do not believe it was directed at Christian wives and mothers, but rather at those priestesses from the Temple of Diana.

8. Actually, I would prefer if the "housewife" and others who do not know Greek leave the Strongs concordances alone. I have seen people do more damage with a handful of conjecture and a Greek concordance than it's worth. Suddenly people who don't know Greek start to create new doctrines and discount translations put together by dozens of scholars on account of their concordance and Greek dictionary.
Sorry. My son has always had his cardboard and paper Strong's. Mine came along when I downloaded my E-Sword...a program I would not be witihout.

9. Of course I don't believe your English Bible is inferior. You are the one using Greek to suggest Paul is really only talking about abusive women who a usurping authority, not me. I am fine with the English versions. I think they very clearly communicate the verses and they say nothing of "that woman" or "the woman" or "exercise domineering authority" or, "I do not permit currently a woman...." and so forth as you have been arguing. I am just showing why the English translations we have are right and how this blogger is wrong in how these verses COULD or should "literally" be understood.
Obviously, we are not going to have a meeting of the minds, here. I have said that I believe Paul was addressing a problem peculiar to Ephesus, and one we had already seen in Acts.

Act 19:24 For a certain man named Demetrius, a silversmith, which made silver shrines for Diana, brought no small gain unto the craftsmen;
Act 19:25 Whom he called together with the workmen of like occupation, and said, Sirs, ye know that by this craft we have our wealth.
Act 19:26 Moreover ye see and hear, that not alone at Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away much people, saying that they be no gods, which are made with hands:
Act 19:27 So that not only this our craft is in danger to be set at nought; but also that the temple of the great goddess Diana should be despised, and her magnificence should be destroyed, whom all Asia and the world worshippeth.
Act 19:28 And when they heard these sayings, they were full of wrath, and cried out, saying, Great is Diana of the Ephesians.

There is more to this story. Bottom line...Diana's followers were not about to take this new Christianity lying down. And they let Paul know it, in no uncertain terms.

10. Since when did I say you needed a fancy theology degree to exegete Scripture. I am not the one pointing to bloggers who use Greek and historical backgrounds as rationale for saying Paul actually means the opposite of what he appears to be saying. Remember, I am the one arguing for the simple reading of the text. You are the one calling in Greek and so forth to prove we don't have to obey Paul.
Paul means exactly what he is saying. In Ephesus, he does not suffer a woman to usurp authority over the men.
And he had very good reason for saying it.
But we do not live in Ephesus, and the Greek gods and goddesses...including the great Diana of the Ephesians...have gone the way of history.
And if we do not stop this silly squabbling over non-issues like gender roles...we could very well follow them.

11. I am not being an intellectual snob. I am saying that you are allowing some random guy on the Internet with a keyboard to cause you to ignore clear passages in the NT. Furthermore, you were criticizing me for not reading the blog out of some apparent unwillingness to learn. And you seem more eager to accept the Greek musings of a guy who has a finance degree to a group of PhDs who have studied one particular Greek word in 13 centuries of documents. So I wonder....why would this be? Certainly it wouldn't have anything to do with the blogger coming to conclusions that you have already deemed to be truth...could it?
LOL...you got me on this one. I had long ago decided, based on what I have read in my own Bible, that the truth is that Paul did not mean this instruction for everyone through all time, but for a particular problem in a particular place at a particular time. This guy just happens to agree with me.
I don't know how many times I must say it...I am not a scholar. I do not know or care about men like Moo or Mounce, or Hodgkins, or any of the rest of them...let them argue it out among themselves. I am not one bit impressed with all their differing opinions on whatever. I am quite convinced that we can find all these answers for ourselves...right there in our own Bibles. All we have to do is open our minds...and let the Holy Spirit guide us. I believe that is what I am doing, WW.
As for me and my house....we will serve the Lord.

12. I Think it's great that you have accomplished so much. Furthermore, I think it's awesome that the Lord intervened and spared your life. Again, Please to not hear my argument for women not teaching in the assembly based on these passages with the idea that women shouldn't vote, work or are not precious to God. Far from it. This has nothing to do with value or ability. Nor does it have anything to do with women working, providing for themselves or their ability. This only relates to the local church gathering and the marriage relationship.
I told you those things to tell you that I am a strong woman. Trust me, those first few years after my David was taken from us by a drunk driver were horrible years. I learned what it was like to stand in line at a food bank, and how to gracefully accept other people's cast off clothing...something I had never done before. I learned what poverty is really like, WW. There was a short space of time when we had to live with friends...because I couldn't even keep a roof over our heads. Today, my youngest son and I are discussing selling the house I am currently living in and buying a nicer house, closer to his job. I haven't decided yet...but I am tempted. I may decide to go along with him...he wants that house so badly. He is, after all, the night manager at the largest store in this town...not bad for a kid who left school to help his Mom after his Dad died...

Several years ago, I was a member of a typical Baptist church...not so much because I believe everything they believe, but because the church is close to my home, and because several of the members were already friends. I was asked to join the choir, which I enthusiastically did. I was happy there for several years...and then our pastor left us.
Our new pastor decided that, since Christmas fell on a Sunday that year, he would close the church.
My little group was devastated. Every year, we got together and made a huge Christmas dinner for the poor in our community. We bought gifts for the kids. And every year, our banquet was a success.
So, we decided to start our own little home church. It has been a beautiful experience for all of us, as we minister to one another. Each one of us feels as if he or she has grown in our Christian walk...and we are closer to God than ever. There is so much love between our families that we have nicknamed our little church "Love Inc."
As I have told you, every couple of months or so, it comes to my turn to lead our service. I spend a lot of time, preparing my house, and myself, for my turn. Like the rest of my brothers and sisters, I am good at what I do.
Do you really think I am disobeying my Lord and my God by doing this, WW? I'm not asking you to judge me...God will do that, in His Own time. I am curious as to your opinion.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Don't like reciprocal heat aye Barrd?

I don't drink beer, I eat all my pizza and I can't stand jerky. I do all my own chores.

I have no animosity whatsoever. That would be YOU projecting.
What, you don't eat "man-food"??
No woman to clean up after you??

I never have met a man who can properly clean anything. Perhaps you are the exception...although I doubt it...

You are right about one thing, though. I am starting not to like you quite so much. You're not quite important enough to me to warrant the term "animosity"....
You are more of an annoyance...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
What, you don't eat "man-food"??
No woman to clean up after you?
I never have met a man who can properly clean anything. Perhaps you are the exception...although I doubt it...
You are right about one thing, though. I am starting not to like you quite so much. You're not quite important enough to me to warrant the term "animosity"....
You are more of an annoyance...
I eat food, and because I am diabetic, it is usually healthyish.
No Barrd, I always clean up after myself, even when I was married I did. I had a very lazy wife. She actually still is.
Guess you don't get out much? Or maybe you don't know what clean is?
I'm not sure you actually know who you like, as it appears to be determined on a post by post basis?
That must mean I'm getting through to you?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure that you know that the Bible is chuck full of women that were chosen by God for various reasons. My favorite, of course, is the lady I was named for...Deborah.
Deborah was no meek, quiet little "housewife". No, sir. She was a warrior! Israel's brave captain, Barak, would not go out to face Sisera without this strong leader. She judged Israel...I'm sure you know her story. And of course, Deb's story would not be complete without Jael...another strong woman. Her husband had ties with the Canaanites, it seems, and so Sisera saw their encampment as the perfect place to run to after Deborah and Barak had routed his army of chariots...with a little help from God, of course.
He couldn't have been more wrong. Jael lured him to sleep with some milk and a smile, and she drove a tent stake through his head.
These are just a couple of the ladies of the OT. There are many, many more, I'm sure you know. Rahab. Esther. Naomi and her daughter in law, Ruth. Hulda. Miriam.
Then there are the gals of the New Testament.
Jesus never once told some woman that she ought to keep her mouth shut.
Barrd, I affirm that all these women were used by God. However this did not mean that Israel decided to make women priests serving in the temple, ignore instruction about male/female roles written about in the Law or cause them to be teachers in the local synagogues. Dont you find it strange that though the Jewish people knew these stories of these women very well that this stories did not cause them to second guess the teaching role of men in the synagogues or home?

Yes, there is no record of Jesus telling a woman to keep her mouth shut. Nor is there any record of Jesus instructing a woman to teach men in a church or synagogue. Besides, I do not believe women must keep their mouths shut. I believe there are God-honoring roles for women to teach both inside and outside the church. However, it seems clear to me that teaching men inside the church was not practiced nor approved by the Apostles, nor is there any record of such ideas in the early church. If this was such a strong view of Jesus and the Apostles, why do you think no first or second century churches followed such practices?

There were 120 people in the Upper Room on the Day of Pentecost. Do you honestly think they were all men? What about the gals I mentioned earlier...Joanna, Suzanna, etc? Don't you think they were there? They had been with Him from the beginning...even when the men bolted, the girls stood with Him, even at the cross, where John was the only guy.
Perhaps there were. Maybe they even prophesied and spoke in tongues. However, there is no record of them teaching the men or being placed in authority over the men. Again, you are confusing gifts, value and abilities with teaching and authority roles.

There is just too much Biblical evidence that women did, indeed, lead, and instruct, men...chosen as God wills, not as men...or women either...will.
I would advise as Gameliel did, long ago. If this is not from God, relax..it'll die all by itself, without any help from you.
There is zero evidence that women taught in the local church or served as elders, neither in the Bible nor in church history. Again, you are citing stories of women that God used to do amazing things or some women that accompanied and helped Paul or Jesus on their journeys. And then you are speculating about hypothetical women who were in certain places and what they might have done in those situations (none of which really apply to the local congregational gatherings either). So, yes, God used women. However this does not mean they served as priestesses, synagogue rulers or church elders. There is not one shred of evidence that supports you here.

Oh, and Gameliel was wrong (just because someone says something in Scripture does not mean they are right). Otherwise, I suppose we would have to conclude that Islam and Mormonism is true. After all, surely those religions would have died out long ago if God were not behind them...right?

There is nothing wrong or perverted about being a woman. We have every right and reason to fight against sexist bigotry, where ever we find it.
I dont know how I can be more clear. I dont even think you read half of what I write. I dont know how you could and come to these conclusions.

I AM NOT COMPARING WOMEN TEACHING WITH HOMOSEXUALITY. (insert mega-phone here)

I am saying....you are using the same interpretive method. When a homosexual says to you, "Baard, the reason you are anti-homosexual is because you are a bigot and you dont know the historical context of homosexuality in Rome nor do you understand the meaning of the words Paul uses for homosexuality." In your mind, you say, "I am not a bigot. I have no quarrel with homosexuals. I simply see a clear teaching in the Bible and I accept it. This is about what the Bible teaches, and not about bigotry." I am saying the same thing. You are using the same tactic. I am comparing your arguments, your hermenutics and your tactics. I AM NOT COMPARING WOMEN TEACHING WITH HOMOSEXUALITY. I am talking about interpretive methods and arguments being used. I hope that is clear now and we can move on and not revisit this. (P.S. I also cant stand it when homosexuals compare their plight with that of the African American, just as a side note).

Of course, the women were going to try to infiltrate the new church. In their place, that is exactly what I would do, myself.
Again, this is nothing but speculation. Moreover, why would Paul command that no women teach in Ephesus because of a few trouble makers? Talk about sexism and bigotry! I just think it is a fools errand to suggest that the Holy Spirit would inspire a text like this and preserve it through the ages if it actually teaches that which is contrary to the actual will of God, and do so on the basis of how God created man and woman in Genesis. You have invented a background scenario as a means of dismissing a clear biblical command that gives no indication that it is directed at a particular person or group of people...and I find it alarming.

I know you're going to hate me for saying this, WW....
No, I dont hate you. I have never said, nor implied that one gender has superior wit or intelligence to the other. This has everything to do with God's Word and design, not ability, intelligence or cunning. It wouldnt surprise me if women as a whole had a higher IQ than men. I dont pretend to know, and I dont think that has anything to do with God's design or commands in this regard.

Since this is the only congregation that gets this particular warning, I think it is fair to assume that he was addressing a particular problem in that community.
I guess if we pretend Corinth didnt exist..then its the only one. Oh, but you gotta watch out for those scally-wag pirate women on the sea ports! jk :) I forgot about them. Paul sure has an interesting way of dealing with problematic women in certain cities...."Tell them not to speak! The whole lot of them! If they are a woman in these cities, they cant talk...that should solve the problem we are having with the few." I guess Paul was a bigot. Maybe the Holy Spirit too....since He inspired it? Come on now, surely we wouldnt come to that conclusion, right?

Yes, I see I did use the term "simple little housewives and mothers" in this post. I don't usually. I certainly was not implying anything about "cranial capacity", however. My IQ has been tested, although not recently...and I assure you, I have nothing to be ashamed of in that regard.
I take it this is your way of apologizing and admitting that I was not calling you simple, but that it was merely reciting your own labels. I never said or implied that you had a low IQ. Apology accepted :)

It's that idea of "usurping" authority that is not found anywhere else. This, more than anything, suggests to me someone coming in from outside, trying to take what does not belong to them. I do not believe it was directed at Christian wives and mothers, but rather at those priestesses from the Temple of Diana.
Again, you seem not to be reading what I write. I have given you two scholarly sources to show that the word in question does not mean "usurp authority." 1. It doesnt mean that. 2. Why wouldnt it be equally bad for men to "usurp authority" or domineer over others? The combination of "teach and have authority" with the oude conjunction linguisticly shows that these words should not be seen as a positive/negative pair. It is either positive/positive or negative/negative. And the word for "teach" is never really used in a negative statement. Consider the following journal article by a leading linguistics expert (StanJ, you may appreciate this as well):

Finally, regarding the relation between verses 11 and 12, Marshall claims that the contrast is between learning in a submissive attitude and teaching in a manner “which is heavy-handed and abuses authority.” However, there is no need to import the alleged negative sense of didaskein into the way in which the contrast between verses 11 and 12 is construed.
Overall, it appears that Marshall is not prepared to follow his acknowledgment that the present study “argued convincingly” for a particular understanding of the syntax of verse 12 to a conclusion that would require a non-egalitarian reading of the text. Hence he opts for a negative sense of both “teaching” and “exercising authority” on the basis of his construal of the background and reading of the context, particularly verse 14.
Shortly after the publication of Marshall’s commentary, William Mounce, in his contribution to the WBC series, comes to rather different conclusions than Marshall. Mounce draws extensively on the present syntactical analysis of 1 Tim 2:12 (quoting at length from its critique of Payne) and integrates it into a full-orbed and coherent exegesis of the passage. While there is no need to rehearse here all the details of his cogent discussion of the verse, it should be noted that Mounce frequently adduces data not adequately (or at all) considered or acknowledged by Marshall:

• didaskein is almost always used in a positive sense in the Pastorals;
• if Paul is prohibiting women merely from teaching error, verse 13 seems irrelevant;
• the fact that didaskein has no object strongly suggests that the verse is a positive command;
• didaskein and authentein are best seen as distinct yet related concepts.

Mounce also points out that the two verbs are separated by five words in 1 Tim 2:12, which further speaks against viewing them as forming a hendiadys, where words are usually placed side by side (citing BDF § 442 [16]). Following my identification of the pattern as from specific to general, Mounce concludes that “Paul does not want women to be in positions of authority in the church; teaching is one way in which authority is exercised in the church.”
Remarkably, even Kevin Giles, who lodges a 38-page critique against the first edition of Women in the Church (plus writing a 20-page surrejoinder), finds himself in essential agreement with the present syntactical analysis of 1 Tim 2:12. However, by way of special pleading, Giles maintains that “[p]eople, even apostles, break grammatical rules at times,” so that oude may function differently in the present passage than everywhere else in attested contemporaneous Greek literature.
This is, of course, possible, but highly unlikely. In my extensive research in both biblical and extrabiblical Greek literature, I found no evidence of anyone “breaking the rules” in his or her use of oude. It seems that even Giles himself does not trust this kind of reasoning, for he later floats the possibility that both didaskein and authentein are to be understood negatively—in keeping with the pattern of usage identified in the present study.
Craig Blomberg, in an appendix included in Two Views on Women in Ministry, renders the following assessment:

Decisively supporting the more positive sense of assuming appropriate authority is Andreas Köstenberger’s study of pairs of infinitives in “neither … nor” constructions both throughout the New Testament and in a wide-ranging swath of extrabiblical Greek literature. Without exception, these constructions pair either two positive or two negative activities. So if the “teaching” in view in 1 Timothy 2:12 is not false teaching but proper Christian instruction, then authentein must be taken as appropriate authority as well.

Andreas J. Köstenberger, “‘Teaching and Usurping Authority: I Timothy 2:11–15’ (Ch 12) by Linda L. Belleville,” Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood 10, no. 1 (2005): 48–49.

Obviously, we are not going to have a meeting of the minds, here. I have said that I believe Paul was addressing a problem peculiar to Ephesus, and one we had already seen in Acts.
I do not deny that Paul is addressing problems in Ephesus specifically, and that some of those problems likely are related to the views of the culture in relation to Artemis. However, the idea that there were specific, rowdy women who were domineering over men in this congregation which is the only reason why Paul says the women should be silent is simply fabricated. There is no shred of evidence either in the letter or from historical sources that this is why, and the ONLY reason why Paul commanded such submission and silence. I dont doubt the temple worship influenced women's apparel and perhaps their ideas on order and teaching. This is precisely why Paul tells them NOT to teach. They were accustomed to leading and teaching based on the culture around them. So yes, the culture does play a role, but its quite the opposite of what you are proposing.

As I have told you, every couple of months or so, it comes to my turn to lead our service. I spend a lot of time, preparing my house, and myself, for my turn. Like the rest of my brothers and sisters, I am good at what I do.
Do you really think I am disobeying my Lord and my God by doing this, WW?
I do not doubt at all that you prepare well and that your lessons are good and accurate. Yes, I do think you are disobeying the Lord's direct commands in Scripture. However, as you pointed out, I am not your judge. We will each stand before God. We both trust in the love and grace of God in Christ Jesus. If I were a woman, I would not teach and I would embrace a submissive role in the congregation as an act of love and adoration to Jesus. In my opinion, there will be a lot of women who learned in quietness and were patient and longsuffering who will have a much greater heavenly reward that the big name, well-known flashy preachers that occupy the stage. The first are last and the last are first. I really believe Jesus when he says that. That is why I think we are encouraged so much by Jesus and Paul to find ways to surrender and submit. These are the things that bring the applause of God. Not our gifts and abilities, but our obedience, submission and weakness as we patiently trust him. Jesus could have worn a glittery robe and taught millions of people with such wisdom and eloquence that the world would have been left spell bound. Instead, he allowed men to strip him naked, punch him in the face, kick him in the gut, cram thorns on his head, nail him to beams of wood and mock him while he struggled to breathe. Why is it we feel like surrendering and submission is such an awful thing when it is perhaps the most poignant attribute of our precious Lord and Savior? The things of God are foolish to the power, "rights" and glory this world desires. Humility, love and submission are the means by which we have been saved and the very core qualities of Christ's life and attitude. The are the highest call of the Christian life. And I mean that with all my heart.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:
Barrd, I affirm that all these women were used by God. However this did not mean that Israel decided to make women priests serving in the temple, ignore instruction about male/female roles written about in the Law or cause them to be teachers in the local synagogues. Dont you find it strange that though the Jewish people knew these stories of these women very well that this stories did not cause them to second guess the teaching role of men in the synagogues or home?
We assume so much, don't we?
Deborah instructed men, didn't she? She was a prophet, and a Judge.
And what about Miriam?
No, I am not one bit surprised to find that Jewish men, like men everywhere, would be loathe to accept women as their equals.
Men will be boys....

Yes, there is no record of Jesus telling a woman to keep her mouth shut. Nor is there any record of Jesus instructing a woman to teach men in a church or synagogue. Besides, I do not believe women must keep their mouths shut. I believe there are God-honoring roles for women to teach both inside and outside the church. However, it seems clear to me that teaching men inside the church was not practiced nor approved by the Apostles, nor is there any record of such ideas in the early church. If this was such a strong view of Jesus and the Apostles, why do you think no first or second century churches followed such practices?
You do know that Jesus also had female disciples, right? They also traveled with Jesus. In those days men and women did not travel together, but the women traveled in a group behind the men. I believe this was to keep the gals safe in case of attack...but I could be wrong about that.
Anyway, I wouldn't be so sure that those women were not also Apostles. If I'm right, they were sent unto all nations, just as their brothers were.

And why are you so sure that there were no females holding such positions in the early church? What of the Catacomb of Priscilla, as a "ferinstance"?

https://ancientbodies.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/women-as-leaders-in-early-christianity-fairy-tales/

Perhaps there were. Maybe they even prophesied and spoke in tongues. However, there is no record of them teaching the men or being placed in authority over the men. Again, you are confusing gifts, value and abilities with teaching and authority roles.
In my Bible, it says that 5,000 were added to the church that afternoon. That's a lot of people. I'm guessing the ladies took part, talking with and baptizing new converts.

And again, how are you so positive that there were no women teaching men or holding positions of authority in the early church? There does seem to be evidence to the contrary...in spite of efforts to deny this fact.
I mean, seriously....rubbing pigment from the lower part of the face to make a man look like a woman? Rather a desperate move, don't you think?

There is zero evidence that women taught in the local church or served as elders, neither in the Bible nor in church history. Again, you are citing stories of women that God used to do amazing things or some women that accompanied and helped Paul or Jesus on their journeys. And then you are speculating about hypothetical women who were in certain places and what they might have done in those situations (none of which really apply to the local congregational gatherings either). So, yes, God used women. However this does not mean they served as priestesses, synagogue rulers or church elders. There is not one shred of evidence that supports you here.
https://ancientbodies.wordpress.com/2013/11/21/women-as-leaders-in-early-christianity-fairy-tales/

Maybe you should do a bit of research on this site, WW. Not that I expect it to change your opinion...that is obviously not going to happen.
But you might learn something you don't already know...and that's always a good thing, yeah?

Oh, and Gameliel was wrong (just because someone says something in Scripture does not mean they are right). Otherwise, I suppose we would have to conclude that Islam and Mormonism is true. After all, surely those religions would have died out long ago if God were not behind them...right?
LOL! You are too much, WW!

I dont know how I can be more clear. I dont even think you read half of what I write. I dont know how you could and come to these conclusions.

I AM NOT COMPARING WOMEN TEACHING WITH HOMOSEXUALITY. (insert mega-phone here)

I am saying....you are using the same interpretive method. When a homosexual says to you, "Baard, the reason you are anti-homosexual is because you are a bigot and you dont know the historical context of homosexuality in Rome nor do you understand the meaning of the words Paul uses for homosexuality." In your mind, you say, "I am not a bigot. I have no quarrel with homosexuals. I simply see a clear teaching in the Bible and I accept it. This is about what the Bible teaches, and not about bigotry." I am saying the same thing. You are using the same tactic. I am comparing your arguments, your hermenutics and your tactics. I AM NOT COMPARING WOMEN TEACHING WITH HOMOSEXUALITY. Just to be clear. Can we move on from this nonsense now? (P.S. I also cant stand it when homosexuals compare their plight with that of the African American, just as a side note).
Do you agree that African Americans should always have had the same rights as anyone else?
I'm sure you do.
And women should always have had the same rights as men, WW. Comparing our battle for equality with the homosexual battle is no different than comparing the African American's battle with homosexuals.

Again, this is nothing but speculation. Moreover, why would Paul command that no women teach in Ephesus because of a few trouble makers? Talk about sexism and bigotry! I just think it is a fools errand to suggest that the Holy Spirit would inspire a text like this and preserve it through the ages if it actually teaches that which is contrary to the actual will of God, and do so on the basis of how God created man and woman in Genesis. You have invented a background scenario as a means of dismissing a clear biblical command that gives no indication that it is directed at a particular person or group of people...and I find it alarming.
This was more than "a few trouble makers". This was THE religion, not only in Ephesus, where the Temple was...but all over Asia. Dedicated men and women came from all over the known world to worship the great goddess. And a lot of money changed hands. Opening shots had already been fired in Acts...and now this interloper had dared to establish a rival church on Diana's turf. And you think I have "invented a background scenario"?
Come to think of it...there are the makings of a thumping good story here....

No, I dont hate you. I have never said, nor implied that one gender has superior wit or intelligence to the other. This has everything to do with God's Word and design, not ability, intelligence or cunning. It wouldnt surprise me if women as a whole had a higher IQ than men. I dont pretend to know, and I dont think that has anything to do with God's design or commands in this regard.
You probably aren't old enough to remember Harry Belefonte...pity.
He had a song all about how "That's right, the woman is smarter"...adorable lyrics, you'd probably enjoy it.
But I digress.
I have never said, nor implied, that women as a whole have a higher IQ than men. That is not the point.
The point is this...a man, especially a man in his twenties, or even thirties, especially...is putty in the hands of a woman who is both intelligent and beautiful.
Samson could tell you about this...as could David, who killed for love...and Solomon, whose great wisdom did not stop him from making a complete fool of himself over women. Then there was Esther, whose beauty and brains saved her people from slaughter. These are examples from the Bible...but you can see the same thing happening to this day.

I guess if we pretend Corinth didnt exist..then its the only one. Oh, but you gotta watch out for those scally-wag pirate women on the sea ports! jk :) I forgot about them. Paul sure has an interesting way of dealing with problematic women in certain cities...."Tell them not to speak! The whole lot of them! If they are a woman in these cities, they cant talk...that should solve the problem we are having with the few." I guess Paul was a bigot. Maybe the Holy Spirit too....since He inspired it? Come on now, surely we wouldnt come to that conclusion, right?
Oh, come on! You do know that, in these early home churches, they would have followed the pattern set for them...iow, men and women would not be sitting together, as we see in our modern churches. Such an idea would have been shocking to them...flying in the face of tradition!
For a woman to question her husband, then, would mean she would have to call out across the room...possibly from another room altogether. The gals in Corinth, used to the noise and confusion of a seaport city, wouldn't have seen anything wrong with that. Paul was gently telling them to mind their manners.
As we see, they were not to be totally quiet during the service.

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

Now, I suppose I could pray without opening my mouth...but if I'm going to prophecy, I'm going to have to make some noise. So, is Paul contradicting himself, here?

I take it this is your way of apologizing and admitting that I was not calling you simple, but that it was merely reciting your own labels. I never said or implied that you had a low IQ. Apology accepted :)
LOL...fair enough, WW.

Again, you seem not to be reading what I write. I have given you two scholarly sources to show that the word in question does not mean "usurp authority." 1. It doesnt mean that. 2. Why wouldnt it be equally bad for men to "usurp authority" or domineer over others? The combination of "teach and have authority" with the oude conjunction lingistily shows that these words should not be seen as a positive/negative pair. It is either positive/positive or negative/negative. And the word for "teach" is never really used in a negative statement. Consider the following journal article by a leading linguistics expert (StanJ, you may appreciate this as well):
Excuse me, but the words used in my Bible are "usurp authority"...

1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

I do not deny that Paul is addressing problems in Ephesus specifically, and that some of those problems likely are related to the views of the culture in relation to Artemis. However, the idea that there were specific, rowdy women who were domineering over men in this congregation which is the only reason why Paul says the women should be silent is simply fabricated. There is no shred of evidence either in the letter or from historical sources that this is why, and the ONLY reason why Paul commanded such submission and silence. I dont doubt the temple worship influenced women's apparel and perhaps their ideas on order and teaching. This is precisely why Paul tells them NOT to teach. They were accustomed to leading and teaching based on the culture around them. So yes, the culture does play a role, but its quite the opposite of what you are proposing.
Maybe I'm not reading you correctly...but you seem to be contradicting yourself here.
You said:
"I dont doubt the temple worship influenced women's apparel and perhaps their ideas on order and teaching. This is precisely why Paul tells them NOT to teach."

Which is exactly what I've been saying.

I do not doubt at all that you prepare well and that your lessons are good and accurate. Yes, I do think you are disobeying the Lord's direct commands in Scripture. However, as you pointed out, I am not your judge. We will each stand before God. We both trust in the love and grace of God in Christ Jesus. If I were a woman, I would not teach and I would embrace a submissive role in the congregation as an act of love and adoration to Jesus. In my opinion, there will be a lot of women who learned in quietness and were patient and longsuffering who will have a much greater heavenly reward that the big name, well-known flashy preachers that occupy the stage. The first are last and the last are first. I really believe Jesus when he says that. That is why I think we are encouraged so much by Jesus and Paul to find ways to surrender and submit. These are the things that bring the applause of God. Not our gifts and abilities, but our obedience, submission and weakness as we patiently trust him. Jesus could have worn a glittery robe and taught millions of people with such wisdom and eloquence that the world would have been left spell bound. Instead, he allowed men to strip him naked, punch him in the face, kick him in the gut, cram thorns on his head, nail him to beams of wood and mock him while he struggled to breathe. Why is it we feel like surrendering and submission is such an awful thing. The things of God are foolish to the power, "rights" and glory this world desires. Humility, love and submission are the means by which we have been saved and the very core qualities of Christ's life and attitude. The are the highest call of the Christian life. And I mean that with all my heart.
Isn't it interesting that you would encourage all this meekness and submission for women...while you prepare your own sermons. I totally agree with you that humility, love, and submission are the core qualities of Christ's life and attitude. I do not agree that women alone ought to reflect these qualities. As Christians, we ought to submit to one another...both male and female alike.
You talk of Christ's submission...yes, He left His glory behind to come slumming...to walk as a man in a human world...and He did it because of His great love.
I'm sure I do not have to point out the obvious for you...Jesus Christ was (and is) fully man, as well as being fully God.

I never got into this with the idea that I would gain applause from God. I have no ambitions to occupy a flashy stage...I'm much too shy for that.
I do try to dress attractively, but conservatively...no low-cut tops or short skirts, no high heels, no flashy jewelry...I wear my hair down, no fancy 'dos. Sometimes we agree to relax a bit, and on those occasions, it's jeans and sneakers all the way.
I make sure my house is clean and that I have coffee made as well as other drinks for those who prefer them, and I have snacks ready and waiting for my "congregation". We started with four families...we're up to six now. To be honest, we're getting a bit crowded. If we grow much more, we may have to think about other accommodations. That would make me very sad...
I don't think any of us wanted to "usurp authority". We simply wanted to continue doing our Christmas dinners for the community. Since those early days, we have applied for and been given permission to use our Community Center for such projects.

Do at least check out the link, WW. Please.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Men will be boys...
And Im the one who is being sexist? I know you would like to think that our Christian church history with regards to women is simply men acting like immature boys....but as we have seen...there are those pesky Words of God we have to contend with.

And why are you so sure that there were no females holding such positions in the early church? What of the Catacomb of Priscilla, as a "ferinstance"?
I am so sure because there is a mountain of historical evidence and teaching from early church leaders and apologists that declare this to be the case. I think I would take the words of someone who lived during that time above a drawing in a tomb that could be this or could be that. Shall we look at what the early church fathers and apologists wrote on the matter?

For how credible would it seem, that he who has not permitted a woman even to learn with over-boldness, should give a female the power of teaching and of baptizing! “Let them be silent,” he says, “and at home consult their own husbands.”

Tertullian, “On Baptism,” in Latin Christianity: Its Founder, Tertullian, ed. Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, and A. Cleveland Coxe, trans. S. Thelwall, vol. 3, The Ante-Nicene Fathers (Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Company, 1885), 677.
VI. We do not permit our “women to teach in the Church,” but only to pray and hear those that teach; for our Master and Lord, Jesus Himself, when He sent us the twelve to make disciples of the people and of the nations, did nowhere send out women to preach, although He did not want such. For there were with us the mother of our Lord and His sisters; also Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Martha and Mary the sisters of Lazarus; Salome, and certain others. For, had it been necessary for women to teach, He Himself had first commanded these also to instruct the people with us. For “if the head of the wife be the man,” it is not reasonable that the rest of the body should govern the head.

Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, and A. Cleveland Coxe, eds., “Constitutions of the Holy Apostles,” in Fathers of the Third and Fourth Centuries: Lactantius, Venantius, Asterius, Victorinus, Dionysius, Apostolic Teaching and Constitutions, Homily, and Liturgies, trans. James Donaldson, vol. 7, The Ante-Nicene Fathers (Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Company, 1886), 427–428.

46. That a woman ought to be silent in the church.

In the first Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians: “Let women be silent in the church. But if any wish to learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home.” Also to Timothy: “Let a woman learn with silence, in all subjection. But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to be set over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve; and Adam was not seduced, but the woman was seduced.”

Cyprian of Carthage, “Three Books of Testimonies against the Jews,” in Fathers of the Third Century: Hippolytus, Cyprian, Novatian, Appendix, ed. Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, and A. Cleveland Coxe, trans. Robert Ernest Wallis, vol. 5, The Ante-Nicene Fathers (Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Company, 1886), 546.

Is then the widow a Teacher? Has not he said himself, “But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to have dominion over a man”? (1 Tim. 2:12.)

John Chrysostom, “Homilies of St. John Chrysostom, Archbishop of Constantinople, on the Epistle of St. Paul the Apostle to the Philippians,” in Saint Chrysostom: Homilies on Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, and Philemon, ed. Philip Schaff, trans. W. C. Cotton and John Albert Broadus, vol. 13, A Select Library of the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church, First Series (New York: Christian Literature Company, 1889), 227.
And yet thou forbiddest a woman to teach; how dost thou command it here, when elsewhere thou sayest, “I suffer not a woman to teach”? (1 Tim. 2:12.) But mark what he has added, “Nor to usurp authority over the man.” For at the beginning it was permitted to men to teach both men and women. But to women it is allowed to instruct by discourse at home. But they are nowhere permitted to preside, nor to extend their speech to great length, wherefore he adds, “Nor to usurp authority over the man.”

John Chrysostom, “Homilies of St. John Chrysostom, Archbishop of Constantinople, on the Epistle of St. Paul the Apostle to Titus,” in Saint Chrysostom: Homilies on Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Thessalonians, Timothy, Titus, and Philemon, ed. Philip Schaff, trans. James Tweed and Philip Schaff, vol. 13, A Select Library of the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church, First Series (New York: Christian Literature Company, 1889), 532.
when she answered questions she gave her own opinion not as her own but as from me or some one else, thus admitting that what she taught she had herself learned from others. For she knew that the apostle had said: “I suffer not a woman to teach,” and she would not seem to inflict a wrong upon the male sex many of whom (including sometimes priests) questioned her concerning obscure and doubtful points.

Jerome, “The Letters of St. Jerome,” in St. Jerome: Letters and Select Works, ed. Philip Schaff and Henry Wace, trans. W. H. Fremantle, G. Lewis, and W. G. Martley, vol. 6, A Select Library of the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church, Second Series (New York: Christian Literature Company, 1893), 255–256.
But for a woman to teach in a Catholic Church, where a multitude of men is gathered together, and women of different opinions, is, in the highest degree, indecorous and pernicious.

Philip Schaff and Henry Wace, eds., “The Canons of the Synod Held in the City of Laodicea, in Phrygia Pacatiana,” in The Seven Ecumenical Councils, trans. Henry R. Percival, vol. 14, A Select Library of the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers of the Christian Church, Second Series (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1900), 130.

Perhaps some historical texts would help:
...they [Gnostics} allowed positions of leadership and liturgical presidency to women, as orthodox communities did not.

McManners, John. The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity. pg. 28
There are hundreds of such quotes and references in the early church so as to leave no doubt to their view and teaching on the matter from the earliest years of the church. But hey, we have an obscure picture of a a person who could perhaps be a woman that maybe we could imagine she is teaching....so lets go with that. smh.

I'll tell you what...I will read more of your blogs and online folks if you read a few books from published scholars who have spend their lives researching this material. Deal? Who knows, perhaps you will learn something as well.

LOL...fair enough, WW.
Haha, thanks for recognizing my humor. I hope I dont come across as mean and stuffy. I try to keep things reatively light...even though we both know these are important ideas we are discussing :)

Excuse me, but the words used in my Bible are "usurp authority"...
1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
Yes, there are a few that translate it that way. I have read a wealth of scholarship on the issue and I think the Greek makes it abundantly clear that this word should not be taken negatively. Yet, even if we say the word is a negative "domineering" word, then that is clearly wrong too. So women should not teach...and women should not domineer. Both are wrong. What is evidently clear is that these two are not linked as you would want to translate it...."teach in a domineering way." Pretty much every Greek scholar affirms that this conjunction should not be seen in this light. But I wont get into that because its mind-numbingly boring and complex.

Maybe I'm not reading you correctly...but you seem to be contradicting yourself here.
You said:
"I dont doubt the temple worship influenced women's apparel and perhaps their ideas on order and teaching. This is precisely why Paul tells them NOT to teach."
Which is exactly what I've been saying.
No. I am saying
* Paul is addressing problems in the Ephesian culture for sure that may have been present in the congregation. Certainly men were arguing and women were dressing improperly. Its also possible women were teaching the men in this congregation which would have been accepted in the culture of Artemis worship. Paul tells the men to stop arguing and pray, the women to dress modestly and women to stop teaching, thus countering cultural trends.

You are saying:
* Paul is addressing a very specific problem with certain women in the Ephesian church. The specific problem being addressed is certain women were dressing improperly and teaching men in an abusive and domineering way. Paul is countering cultural trends, but only the trend that women were known to domineer over men in abusive ways. Thus he is not opposed to women teaching, but only teaching in abusive ways.

You have a precise scenario in mind and are suggesting Paul is ONLY dealing with that specific scenario and ONLY in the negative sense but is actually affirming the thing he is condemning when it is done properly (which he never says nor implies).

Isn't it interesting that you would encourage all this meekness and submission for women...while you prepare your own sermons.
What is that supposed to mean?

I do not agree that women alone ought to reflect these qualities. As Christians, we ought to submit to one another...both male and female alike.
I didnt say women only are to reflect these qualities. However we do it in the roles we find ourselves. I am submissive to other elders in the Church. I am submissive to governing authorities. I am submissive to my parents. Suggesting that submission is always reciporical in every relationship is nonsense. It isnt really submission at all if that is your definition! That is like saying, "Children submit to your parents as your parents likewise are to submit to you." Um, no. Or, "Wives submit to your husbands as the Church submits to Christ. But also husbands submit to wives because, uh, Christ submits to the church...i guess." No, no no. That is not submission. Thats modern, western, "ill scratch your back if you scratch mine." That is present day, "I'll submit to your authority so long as your authority is exercised in a way that garners my approval." Not what Paul was teaching at all.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:
And Im the one who is being sexist? I know you would like to think that our Christian church history with regards to women is simply men acting like immature boys....but as we have seen...there are those pesky Words of God we have to contend with.
Actually, that "men will be boys" is a saying I picked up from my husband.
It was kinda his way of saying "Gee, Baby, I've been a jerk. Forgive me?"
He thought of me as the "Virtuous Woman" from Proverbs...and i did try to live up to his expectations. Sometimes, though, it was me saying, "Gosh, Darling, I have been such a jerk. Forgive me?"
Only with me it was cooking his favorite dinner, while for him it was buying me roses and taking me out to dinner... :)

I am so sure because there is a mountain of historical evidence and teaching from early church leaders and apologists that declare this to be the case. I think I would take the words of someone who lived during that time above a drawing in a tomb that could be this or could be that. Shall we look at what the early church fathers and apologists wrote on the matter?

So, the "drawing in the tomb" doesn't matter at all, then? Nor the fact that the Vatican ordered the vandalism that took place within it?
I mean, seriously....rubbing pigment from the lower part of the face to try to make a woman look as if she had a beard is just as ridiculous as adding an "s" to the end of an obviously feminine name.

Perhaps some historical texts would help:

There are hundreds of such quotes and references in the early church so as to leave no doubt to their view and teaching on the matter from the earliest years of the church. But hey, we have an obscure picture of a a person who could perhaps be a woman that maybe we could imagine she is teaching....so lets go with that. smh.
Let's see...wearing a dress, with a head covering...

Does it look as if she might have breasts to you? Hands raised in the traditional pose...if she were a man, you'd swear she was a priest.
That is obviously a seated man to the left of the "drawing". He seems to be looking at her and listening to her. And three more men on the right... All four men do seem to be behind her, though...perhaps the artist's perspective was skewed?

Or maybe the central figure is a guy in drag?

I'll tell you what...I will read more of your blogs and online folks if you read a few books from published scholars who have spend their lives researching this material. Deal? Who knows, perhaps you will learn something as well.
D'ya think you can find me some early "scholars" who were not taught by the Catholic church, and not influenced by the culture they lived in?

Haha, thanks for recognizing my humor. I hope I dont come across as mean and stuffy. I try to keep things reatively light...even though we both know these are important ideas we are discussing :)
You're cool, WW. We can disagree here, and still be friends...as long as you don't get the idea that you are "properly instructing me.
Honey, I am a 65 year old Christian lady who came to Christ in her childhood. I was reading Shakespeare by the third grade, and read the KJV through for the first time when I was 12. My Gran' had given it to me for Christmas, and I had that thing read cover to cover by Easter. I read it twice more before the following Christmas. I've been a confirmed Christian for over 53 years...baptized into Christ before my 13th birthday.
I honestly feel as if I am as "knowledgeable" in the Scriptures as just about anyone in these threads...but that doesn't mean that we can't learn from each other. I'm sure that, with all your scholarship, there are things you know about the history of the church that I do not.
Male dominance is, of course, a fact of history, and not just in the church. That doesn't make it right, or scriptural, or Godly.
There were slaves during the first century as well, and the Bible does talk about servants (slaves) submitting to their masters

Eph 6:5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

Col 3:22 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God:

1Ti 6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
1Ti 6:2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

And before you say that Paul didn't mean it the way it sounds, hear these words of Paul's:

1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

Now, if Paul's instructions to a young preacher trying to pastor a church in a troubled area are meant to be taken as instructions to the whole of Christianity for all time, don't these instructions on slavery also apply to the entire church for all time?

Or is someone trying to have his cake and eat it, too??

Yes, there are a few that translate it that way. I have read a wealth of scholarship on the issue and I think the Greek makes it abundantly clear that this word should not be taken negatively. Yet, even if we say the word is a negative "domineering" word, then that is clearly wrong too. So women should not teach...and women should not domineer. Both are wrong. What is evidently clear is that these two are not linked as you would want to translate it...."teach in a domineering way." Pretty much every Greek scholar affirms that this conjunction should not be seen in this light. But I wont get into that because its mind-numbingly boring and complex.
If you once realize that Diana's priestesses did hold supreme authority over both men and women...even life and death authority...the use of this particular term to mean "usurp authority" becomes quite clear.

No. I am saying
* Paul is addressing problems in the Ephesian culture for sure that may have been present in the congregation. Certainly men were arguing and women were dressing improperly. Its also possible women were teaching the men in this congregation which would have been accepted in the culture of Artemis worship. Paul tells the men to stop arguing and pray, the women to dress modestly and women to stop teaching, thus countering cultural trends.

You are saying:
* Paul is addressing a very specific problem with certain women in the Ephesian church. The specific problem being addressed is certain women were dressing improperly and teaching men in an abusive and domineering way. Paul is countering cultural trends, but only the trend that women were known to domineer over men in abusive ways. Thus he is not opposed to women teaching, but only teaching in abusive ways.
I am saying that the gals who were once a part of the Cult of Diana were not to usurp authority over the men in Christ's church, where authority should not have been an issue in the first place. Paul would not suffer them to teach until they had learned humility.
Which was very wise of him, I think.

You have a precise scenario in mind and are suggesting Paul is ONLY dealing with that specific scenario and ONLY in the negative sense but is actually affirming the thing he is condemning when it is done properly (which he never says nor implies).
Suppose you move to a new neighborhood. The who live across the street have no discipline...they are destructive, they bully kids smaller then them...they are quite used to being the terror of the neighborhood. If they want another kids' toy, or lunch money, or whatever, the other kid gives it up without question, and without tattling. They have learned. It doesn't take long before you discover that they are starting in with your kids. What do you do, WW?

What is that supposed to mean?
My place is at His feet, washing them with my tears and wiping them with my hair. I long only to touch the hem of his garment. I would gladly follow him, and support him with whatever money I might have. I would follow Him anywhere. I mean that with all of my heart, WW. Just knowing that my sin disappoints Him is devastating to me. I would do anything not to disappoint Him, go anywhere to please Him. Everything I am, and everything I ever will be, I am because of Him.
I believe with all of my heart that His purpose for me is to write. I'm not a bad poet...but my magnum opus is an epic novel entitled "The First Sinner". Oz has given me advice on finding an actual publisher for it, since right now, I am self-published. The book places Barabbas as the human "messiah" the Jews were expecting, as opposed to Christ, the actual Messiah. It begins when the boys are about 12 years old, and goes through their entire lives, up to and a bit beyond the resurrection. It is about 700 pages long.

You can find excerpts from this "masterpiece" here:
http://www.christianityboard.com/blog/138/entry-805-excerpt-from-the-first-sinner-simon-of-cyrene/
http://www.christianityboard.com/blog/138/entry-807-excerpt-from-the-first-sinner-the-crucifixion/

I know you're busy, but I would be honored if you'd at least take a peek. You might know me a bit better once you've read some of my work.

I have a lot of respect for you, WW...but I don't think you and I need to discuss humility till you know me a bit better...

I didnt say women only are to reflect these qualities. However we do it in the roles we find ourselves. I am submissive to other elders in the Church. I am submissive to governing authorities. I am submissive to my parents. Suggesting that submission is always reciporical in every relationship is nonsense. It isnt really submission at all if that is your definition! That is like saying, "Children submit to your parents as your parents likewise are to submit to you." Um, no. Or, "Wives submit to your husbands as the Church submits to Christ. But also husbands submit to wives because, uh, Christ submits to the church...i guess." No, no no. That is not submission. Thats modern, western, "ill scratch your back if you scratch mine." That is present day, "I'll submit to your authority so long as your authority is exercised in a way that garners my approval." Not what Paul was teaching at all.
You do know that parents are to exercise their authority in a way that garners God's approval, right?

Col 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
Col 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.

Same goes for husband and wife:

Eph 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Eph 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

I think most Christian women have heard these verses. I know I've heard them from a great many pulpits.
However, there is a bit more to that passage:

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
Eph 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

Now, of the two of them, it seems to me that the husband has the greater responsibility to his wife. How many husbands, think you, actually live up to this great responsibility? Mine tried, bless his heart...as I also tried to be the submissive little wife.
But we both fell short...
Never mind, we were very much in love, anyway.

Oh, and there's more, doan ye know, me bucko:

1Co 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
1Co 7:3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
1Co 7:4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.

Husbands and wives are totally equal in the marriage bed. Yippee!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Actually, that "men will be boys" is a saying I picked up from my husband.

It was kinda his way of saying "Gee, Baby, I've been a jerk. Forgive me?
I understand. I would just say that I dont think that scholars and teachers throughout church history were trying to be jerks. I think they were trying to obey the Word of God, as am I.
So, the "drawing in the tomb" doesn't matter at all, then? Nor the fact that the Vatican ordered the vandalism that took place within it?
I mean, seriously....rubbing pigment from the lower part of the face to try to make a woman look as if she had a beard is just as ridiculous as adding an "s" to the end of an obviously feminine name.
To me it looks like someone, perhaps a woman, praying and lifting her hands with a covered head. But, then again, I am no expert on wall paintings. It is important to note that teachers in the first century sat down when they taught (cf. Luke 4:20). Moreover, I would be more apt to go with the mountains of direct teachings from renown leaders in the early church as a guide on this matter than interpreting a picture and imposing Vatican conspiracy theories.
D'ya think you can find me some early "scholars" who were not taught by the Catholic church, and not influenced by the culture they lived in?
Yep. I assure you they are no more influenced in this regard than the online blogs you read. They actually allow their opinions to be formed by the Greek itself and the actual validity of various historical and linguistic arguments. Just let me know and Id be happy to refer you to some of these books. But only if you really plan on reading them.
Male dominance is, of course, a fact of history, and not just in the church. That doesn't make it right, or scriptural, or Godly.
I'll be the first to admit that there have been abuses in these areas and people have used such verses to be cruel or demeaning toward women. This is incredibly unfortunate and not at all what these Scriptures teach. We just need to be cautious we dont "throw the baby out with the bath water."
And before you say that Paul didn't mean it the way it sounds, hear these words of Paul's:

Now, if Paul's instructions to a young preacher trying to pastor a church in a troubled area are meant to be taken as instructions to the whole of Christianity for all time, don't these instructions on slavery also apply to the entire church for all time?

Or is someone trying to have his cake and eat it, too??
I think you assume to much about my views on these matters. I dont say that Paul didnt mean his words. I think he meant exactly what he said. He wanted slaves to submit to their masters. What exactly are you arguing? Are you saying that because we dont like slavery and we see it as antiChristian that therefore we can throw out all the verses related to submission? I guess that means children do not need to submit to parents? Oh, wait we dont like to throw that one out...because, well we like that one.

My view is that Paul really wanted people to submit in all these ways. He encouraged all Christians to submit in the areas of life in which they found themselves. Now, we can see in Philemon that Paul was no fan of slavery. Yet we should not say that Paul was merely dealing with a cultural issue in women submission as appears to be the case with slavery. First, Paul uses creation, the fall, the Law and his own practices for why he does not allow women to teach. Also, he declares this is what takes place in all the churches. There is nothing in Paul's writing that suggests that he affirmed submission in this area only because it was a cultural expectation and he wanted women to honor God in the way they live out those cultural roles. No, these roles were defined by creation, the Law and represent Christ and the church. Thus, they are not cultural.
If you once realize that Diana's priestesses did hold supreme authority over both men and women...even life and death authority...the use of this particular term to mean "usurp authority" becomes quite clear.
Can you point me to a historical document (preferably something from an actual published source) that shows that priestesses of Diana exercised abusive and domineering authority as a way of life in their temple leadership? Also, I have also shown that linguistically this is just not really possible. This word was almost always used in the neutral sense. Moreover, the Greek construction demands a positive/positive or negative/negative. The Greek word for teaching here is pretty much always viewed as a positive in the NT Epistles. There is no reason to view either of these words as negative, unless of course, one approaches the text with a desire to see them as such because of a predisposition regarding the subject matter.

Suppose you move to a new neighborhood. The who live across the street have no discipline...they are destructive, they bully kids smaller then them...they are quite used to being the terror of the neighborhood. If they want another kids' toy, or lunch money, or whatever, the other kid gives it up without question, and without tattling. They have learned. It doesn't take long before you discover that they are starting in with your kids. What do you do, WW?
First, I do not tell my kids that all older boys in the neighborhood are bullies and should be avoided. Second, I go address those boys in person by name and confront their behavior. This is what Paul regularly does in his letter. He confronts the "super apostles," he confronts Euodia and Syntyche by name, and he confronts a couple of the MALE culprits of this teaching fiasco in this very letter!

“Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith. Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.” (1 Timothy 1:18–20, NIV84)
I believe with all of my heart that His purpose for me is to write. I'm not a bad poet...but my magnum opus is an epic novel entitled "The First Sinner". Oz has given me advice on finding an actual publisher for it, since right now, I am self-published. The book places Barabbas as the human "messiah" the Jews were expecting, as opposed to Christ, the actual Messiah. It begins when the boys are about 12 years old, and goes through their entire lives, up to and a bit beyond the resurrection. It is about 700 pages long.
I think this is wonderful and would be in total agreement that you should pursue this.

I know you're busy, but I would be honored if you'd at least take a peek. You might know me a bit better once you've read some of my work.

I have a lot of respect for you, WW...but I don't think you and I need to discuss humility till you know me a bit better...
I hope you didnt take from my note that I do not think you are a humble person. I was simply trying to say that I feel many people have turned the concept of biblical submission into a dirty word and that the idea of women submitting to men is mean and abusive. I dont think that at all. I think biblical submission is a beautiful thing and something our Lord modeled. That is all I was getting at. Again, I was not trying to imply you were not humble. Sorry if it came across that way.
You do know that parents are to exercise their authority in a way that garners God's approval, right?
Of course, and I believe the same is true for men in the home and church. We are all accountable to God, whether we are presidents, judges, police officers, elders, deacons, SS teachers, parents or husbands. Having authority is not the same as abusing authority. We will all stand before God and will be held to account for the roles we had and our faithfulness (or lack thereof) with those positions and opportunities.

Now, of the two of them, it seems to me that the husband has the greater responsibility to his wife. How many husbands, think you, actually live up to this great responsibility? Mine tried, bless his heart...as I also tried to be the submissive little wife.

But we both fell short...

Never mind, we were very much in love, anyway.
Of course. I think that is why we each need to focus on our own role and God's desire for us. If we always look at another person's failures as rationale for us to not submit or not to lead in a godly way, then no one would ever fulfill God's role for them. God will hold me accountable for the places he put me in life. I will have to give an account for how I worked as a minimum wage employee in my early years and as a waiter when I was paying my way through school. I cant say, "God my boss was a jerk and that is why I didnt respect him or obey him." No, God expects me to be a godly leader, a submissive worker, a godly parent, a submissive child to my parents and so forth. I think the reason many marriages fail is because wives say, "Well when he starts loving me like Christ loves the church, then I will submit." Likewise, the guy says, "When she starts submitting, I will start loving her." No, that is now how it works. Jesus loved us when we didnt deserve it. Love is not something earned, it is something freely given. Love is a commitment and a promise I make, not only when things are good and going my way, but even when they are not. While we were sinners, Christ died for us, and so we ought to lay down our lives for one another. Well, there is my little mini sermon for the day. :)

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:
I understand. I would just say that I dont think that scholars and teachers throughout church history were trying to be jerks. I think they were trying to obey the Word of God, as am I.
Perhaps. I'd have to take a look at their personal lives, before I'd be willing to trust that they were not "jerks".
I have to say, "trying to obey the Word of God" by making sure that women are kept "in their place" just seems to me like a bit of a contradiction. Surely, Jesus belongs to us all equally...and we all share in both rights and responsibilities in His service? By locking women out, you effectively silence at least half of the voices that might help lead people to salvation. How many have been condemned to damnation that might have come to Christ, if only some woman had dared to teach him the truth?
I have learned that, sometimes a piece of music or a well-written verse might inspire someone when hours of preaching go unheard. Isn't it also true that a woman's voice could reach someone where perhaps a man's voice can not? You will never know, because you have forbidden them to teach the men in your church.
I have the personal testimonies of several men who would agree with me here. They were reached by a woman when their male pastors couldn't get through to them.

To me it looks like someone, perhaps a woman, praying and lifting her hands with a covered head. But, then again, I am no expert on wall paintings. It is important to note that teachers in the first century sat down when they taught (cf. Luke 4:20). Moreover, I would be more apt to go with the mountains of direct teachings from renown leaders in the early church as a guide on this matter than interpreting a picture and imposing Vatican conspiracy theories.
After we talked yesterday, I decided to see what else I might find in early Christian artworks, so I googled "depictions from the first century of Christian preachers". There were some sitting, as you say, and some standing, and a couple on horseback. Most of what I got back seem to be early pictures of Jesus, some were obviously supposed to be John the Baptist. There were several in the bunch that were obviously not what I had asked for, but which came much later. And there were a few...a very few, to be sure...that look an awful lot like women.
Quite honestly, I do not trust the Vatican to be entirely honest on these sorts of issues.

Yep. I assure you they are no more influenced in this regard than the online blogs you read. They actually allow their opinions to be formed by the Greek itself and the actual validity of various historical and linguistic arguments. Just let me know and Id be happy to refer you to some of these books. But only if you really plan on reading them.
Did I give you the impression that I surf the net looking for blogs to read? LOL! I assure you, it is not so. When I'm not fooling around in here, I am quite busy working on a book about Deborah. There is very little information about her outside of the Bible. I did come across some interesting information, though. There does seem to be an idea that she and Barak were married. Do you know anything about that?
I'd be willing to read anything that might educate me on church history...as long as it doesn't bore me to tears, first.

I'll be the first to admit that there have been abuses in these areas and people have used such verses to be cruel or demeaning toward women. This is incredibly unfortunate and not at all what these Scriptures teach. We just need to be cautious we dont "throw the baby out with the bath water."
Well, of course such verses have been used to bully women! My goodness, WW...they are almost "made to order" for that purpose.
Unfortunate? Dear man, that is an understatement if I ever heard one!
You say that this is not what these Scriptures teach...and yet, you believe that they are meant for all Christian women, throughout time. No matter how inspired she is, or what gifts the Holy Spirit has given her, or whatever...she is to keep her pretty little mouth shut in church. She may teach women and children...but when it comes to men, she should not speak unless she is spoken to. And then you want to talk about how any abuse by men of these verses is "unfortunate". Really, WW...what else did you expect?

I think you assume to much about my views on these matters. I dont say that Paul didnt mean his words. I think he meant exactly what he said. He wanted slaves to submit to their masters. What exactly are you arguing? Are you saying that because we dont like slavery and we see it as antiChristian that therefore we can throw out all the verses related to submission? I guess that means children do not need to submit to parents? Oh, wait we dont like to throw that one out...because, well we like that one.
Did you really say that we "don't like slavery"? WW, we abhor slavery. No man may own another man.
What I am saying is that Paul's injunction for slaves to obey their masters was a cultural thing.
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the instructions for children to obey their parents. You do know that the very good reason for this is because they are immature. Of course, they are to respect their parents all of their lives...but there does come a time when the child is no longer a child, and the parent can no longer tell him to be in bed by nine o'clock, or to get his room cleaned up before dinner or he won't get any ice cream. In other words, the parent's authority over the child is temporary.

My view is that Paul really wanted people to submit in all these ways. He encouraged all Christians to submit in the areas of life in which they found themselves. Now, we can see in Philemon that Paul was no fan of slavery. Yet we should not say that Paul was merely dealing with a cultural issue in women submission as appears to be the case with slavery. First, Paul uses creation, the fall, the Law and his own practices for why he does not allow women to teach. Also, he declares this is what takes place in all the churches. There is nothing in Paul's writing that suggests that he affirmed submission in this area only because it was a cultural expectation and he wanted women to honor God in the way they live out those cultural roles. No, these roles were defined by creation, the Law and represent Christ and the church. Thus, they are not cultural.
I'm afraid I do not agree. There was a specific problem in Ephesus, which Paul had already faced. It would be natural for him to address this problem in his letters to Timothy. That is what I believe, WW.

Can you point me to a historical document (preferably something from an actual published source) that shows that priestesses of Diana exercised abusive and domineering authority as a way of life in their temple leadership? Also, I have also shown that linguistically this is just not really possible. This word was almost always used in the neutral sense. Moreover, the Greek construction demands a positive/positive or negative/negative. The Greek word for teaching here is pretty much always viewed as a positive in the NT Epistles. There is no reason to view either of these words as negative, if one approaches the text with a desire to see them as such because of a predisposition regarding the subject matter.
Good gravy, WW, I was maybe 13 or so when I first became interested in Greek mythology. I was fascinated by the stories. There was a writer in me even then. I went to several different libraries, and drove the librarians crazy with requests for more material on the Greek myths...
The only computer I had ever seen at that time was an immense thing that took up an entire city block...my Uncle Carl had been trained in the Air Force to work with these monsters.
I was 14 and "going steady" with my very first boyfriend, when my Mom took us to "the Big Apple" to see my Uncle. He took me inside the computer he was working with, where he spent several hours to get the thing to print out "Debbie loves Micheal".
Anyway, I do remember reading about the Amazons and the Temple of Artemis. She was the twin sister of the handsome Apollo, if that means anything to you. Zeus had fathered them on Leto, who had been a Titan. Artemis insisted on ritualistic sex orgies, although she herself is perpetually chaste, and as I understood it, it was always "lady's choice"....and woe to the man who did not please. I remember I did not know the meaning of the term "castration", so I asked someone...do remember that this was the 60s. Well-bred young ladies were not supposed to be interested in things like ritual sex orgies, or castration. It became painfully obvious that I should have looked it up for myself...
But I digress. No, Sweetie, I'm afraid I don't have access to any internet sites with this info available.

First, I do not tell my kids that all older boys in the neighborhood are bullies and should be avoided. Second, I go address those boys in person by name and confront their behavior. This is what Paul regularly does in his letter. He confronts the "super apostles," he confronts Euodia and Syntyche by name, and he confronts a couple of the MALE culprits of this teaching fiasco in this very letter!

“Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith. Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.” (1 Timothy 1:18–20, NIV84)
I would hope you would tell your kids not to join forces with these new kids. I do hope you would tell them that their behavior is wrong.
I would ban them from my yard and forbid my children to play with them until they could learn to mend their ways.
Going to address the kids without their parents being present might not be the best idea. It could just make the problem worse.
It would be better to call a meeting with their parents, and if possible, to include other parents in the neighborhood. You want to let this family know that this behavior will not be tolerated, and that their children will not be allowed to play with the rest of the kids in the neighborhood unless and until their bullying behavior has been addressed.
And that's the point. They are banned from the fellowship of the other children till they can learn to behave.

I think this is wonderful and would be in total agreement that you should pursue this.
Gosh, thanks, WW. I do appreciate your encouragement.
But did you actually read the excerpts?
Oh, and Oz particularly liked my Christmas piece, 'The Virgin's Child'.

I hope you didnt take from my note that I do not think you are a humble person. I was simply trying to say that I feel many people have turned the concept of biblical submission into a dirty word and that the idea of women submitting to men is mean and abusive. I dont think that at all. I think biblical submission is a beautiful thing and something our Lord modeled. That is all I was getting at. Again, I was not trying to imply you were not humble. Sorry if it came across that way.
Jesus never demanded submission, at least not that I can recall.
I love the story of the woman who washes His feet with her tears and dries them with her hair.

Luk 7:36 And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat.
Luk 7:37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
Luk 7:38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
Luk 7:39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
Luk 7:40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
Luk 7:41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
Luk 7:42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
Luk 7:43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
Luk 7:44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Luk 7:45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
Luk 7:46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
Luk 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
Luk 7:48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
Luk 7:49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
Luk 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Notice, there was no requirement that she do this. Jesus had not said "Prostitutes must kneel at my feet and wash them with their tears," as I am sure you know. Yet this lady, all on her own, performs one of the most beautiful acts of submission I have ever heard of. And Jesus recognizes that "she loved much". If this story does not move you to tears, your heart is cold and dry, is all I can say.
Now, to me, that is true submission. No requirement, no "you must submit"...but submission out of love, not duty. Do you understand?

Of course, and I believe the same is true for men in the home and church. We are all accountable to God, whether we are presidents, judges, police officers, elders, deacons, SS teachers, parents or husbands. Having authority is not the same as abusing authority. We will all stand before God and will be held to account for the roles we had and our faithfulness (or lack thereof) with those positions and opportunities.
And that is why I believe we should all encourage one another to make full and joyful use of the gifts God has given each one of us. Fevvinsake, it is time and past time to put aside such foolishness as "gender roles" (sorry, Paul), and simply love one another as Jesus loves us. I truly believe that, WW.

Of course. I think that is why we each need to focus on our own role and God's desire for us. If we always look at another person's failures as rationale for us to not submit or not to lead in a godly way, then no one would ever fulfill God's role for them. God will hold me accountable for the places he put me in life. I will have to give an account for how I worked as a minimum wage employee in my early years and as a waiter when I was paying my way through school. I cant say, "God my boss was a jerk and that is why I didnt respect him or obey him." No, God expects me to be a godly leader, a submissive worker, a godly parent, a submissive child to my parents and so forth. I think the reason many marriages fail is because wives say, "Well when he starts loving me like Christ loves the church, then I will submit." Likewise, the guy says, "When she starts submitting, I will start loving her." No, that is now how it works. Jesus loved us when we didnt deserve it. Love is not something earned, it is something freely given. Love is a commitment and a promise I make, not only when things are good and going my way, but even when they are not. While we were sinners, Christ died for us, and so we ought to lay down our lives for one another. Well, there is my little mini sermon for the day. :)
That's a lovely sermon, my friend...but it isn't very realistic. At least not the part about marriage.
The reason so many marriages fail, imho, is the ridiculous notion of "no-fault divorce", an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.
Let's face it, there are going to be mornings when she burns the toast, or he muddies up her clean floors...there are going to be evenings when she really does have a headache, or he would rather watch television...and yes, couples have split up over such ridiculous things.
Back when people knew going in that divorce would be difficult and dirty, they took a bit more time deciding before they jump into marriage. And they learned to work their differences out.
It isn't really about leading or submitting properly. My Gran' told me long ago...love is not about going to bed with a man....it is about getting up with him in the morning, and facing life together.
Love, WW, is all about learning to see through each other...and still enjoy the view.
My Gran' was a very wise lady, and she made my granda' a very happy man...

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to say, "trying to obey the Word of God" by making sure that women are kept "in their place" just seems to me like a bit of a contradiction. Surely, Jesus belongs to us all equally...and we all share in both rights and responsibilities in His service? By locking women out, you effectively silence at least half of the voices that might help lead people to salvation. How many have been condemned to damnation that might have come to Christ, if only some woman had dared to teach him the truth?
Barrd, I think you are projecting here. Your suggestion that perhaps most of people's doctrine on this matter throughout history was a result of wanting to keep women in their place is really disturbing to me. I believe we are to believe the best about our brothers and sisters in Christ. It seems that on this issue you are inclined to believe the worst.

Also, you are creating a false choice. No one is saying women cant evangelize, teach or share Christ. Who ever said that? This has to do with teaching a congregation and eldership only. We have already established that women prophesied, participated in teaching men in informal settings and likely worked with Paul in his evangelism efforts. Moreover, if this really is God's command given through Paul in the Scriptures, do you think he would command something that would keep people out of the kingdom!? God blesses obedience. I'd rather obey God and seek his blessing than base my views on human pragmatism.

Isn't it also true that a woman's voice could reach someone where perhaps a man's voice can not? You will never know, because you have forbidden them to teach the men in your church.
Barrd, I choose to follow the teaching of the Bible. I will gladly stand before God and tell him that my decisions were based on his written Word and my effort to obey his voice. I'd rather be found wrong in trying to be obedient to the Word than have to give an account to God as to why I rejected a very clear and direct command from him on this issue. Again, this argumentation is nothing more than pragmatism. By this rationale, why dont we let homosexuals preach? I mean, after all, maybe they can reach members of their community we cannot reach and maybe people would accept Christ because of their preaching that dont because we do not allow them to be preachers. You see the problem with this line of thinking? Again, dont say I am comparing women with homosexuals. I am comparing the line of thinking that is based in sheer pragmatism. Give me a Biblical reason as to why I should disregard God's command on this matter and I will consider it. This line of argument that, "You are being mean to women" or "maybe more people would hear if we allowed women to be preachers" is just not a convincing argument for me. I would rather do things that seem unconventional and be faithful to the Lord than do things that seem wise before the eyes of people that are disobedient to God's commands.

There were several in the bunch that were obviously not what I had asked for, but which came much later. And there were a few...a very few, to be sure...that look an awful lot like women.
Im sure if you look hard enough, you can find reasons to approve of anything anyone wants to do. People find scholars and writings that substantiate their desire to ordain homosexuals, people find scholars that approve of their divorce for any and every reason, people find scholars that will approve of them being abusive and domineering to their wives and children, people find scholars and verses that allow them to live selfish and greedy lives of materialism. I mean, really, if you look hard enough, you can find whatever you want to find. The question is, are we really trying to seek the Lord's will and follow his word without reservation, or are we looking for a way to justify what we have already determined to be right? I think if you find yourself randomly searching for pictures that could potentially look like women preaching when we have commands in the Bible and mountains of first century teachers saying this was not in accordance with God's will or the practice of the churches, then something is wrong.

There does seem to be an idea that she and Barak were married. Do you know anything about that?
I have done a little reading about Judges lately and that story in particular, but I dont recall any information about any views or traditions of her being married to Barak. I'll browse around some materials I have on Judges in my free time and let you know if I come across anything that would potentially be of interest to you in this area.

Well, of course such verses have been used to bully women! My goodness, WW...they are almost "made to order" for that purpose.
Unfortunate? Dear man, that is an understatement if I ever heard one!
You say that this is not what these Scriptures teach...and yet, you believe that they are meant for all Christian women, throughout time. No matter how inspired she is, or what gifts the Holy Spirit has given her, or whatever...she is to keep her pretty little mouth shut in church. She may teach women and children...but when it comes to men, she should not speak unless she is spoken to. And then you want to talk about how any abuse by men of these verses is "unfortunate". Really, WW...what else did you expect?
What are you saying here? It seems you are implying that women being submissive in the gathering of believers is the same thing as bullying women. I dont agree with this and I dont think that one necessarily leads to the other.

Did you really say that we "don't like slavery"? WW, we abhor slavery. No man may own another man.
In case you are unaware, Jewish and Roman practices of "slavery" is not at all the same as modern slavery where people were stolen from their homes and treated like animals due to their skin color. So, let us not confuse the two.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up the instructions for children to obey their parents. You do know that the very good reason for this is because they are immature. Of course, they are to respect their parents all of their lives...but there does come a time when the child is no longer a child, and the parent can no longer tell him to be in bed by nine o'clock, or to get his room cleaned up before dinner or he won't get any ice cream. In other words, the parent's authority over the child is temporary.
Barrd, when it comes to interpretation of the Bible, we need actual interpretive rules that justify our views. You cant just say, "Well this is cultural, this is not" on a whim. What indicates to you that one thing is cultural and another is not cultural? How do you decide if Paul's prohibition of homosexuality, fornication, lying, head covering, or any other issue is a cultural one or a timeless command? Does Barrd decide that based on her own gut instinct? Do we allow the Western culture to decide for us based on whatever popular trends are? Of course not. There is a way to view the Bible and determine if Paul is talking about something in a way that he is only reflecting on his culture or if he is reflecting on something that is timeless and to be expected by all Christians for all ages. Paul uses creation, the Law, the angels, and his own practices and those of all the churches for justification for his commands about women speaking in the Church. If this does not indicate a timeless principle, then nothing does. We can just take and leave any command we want a whim if we are just going to interpret the Bible willy nilly with no regard for the actual context and arguments placed therein. This is called reading into the Bible want we want to see rather than allowing the Bible to shape and form your understanding of right and wrong. God is the authority on these matters, not us. His word should shape us rather than us shaping his word to our liking.

Anyway, I do remember reading about the Amazons and the Temple of Artemis. She was the twin sister of the handsome Apollo, if that means anything to you. Zeus had fathered them on Leto, who had been a Titan. Artemis insisted on ritualistic sex orgies, although she herself is perpetually chaste, and as I understood it, it was always "lady's choice"....and woe to the man who did not please. I remember I did not know the meaning of the term "castration", so I asked someone...do remember that this was the 60s. Well-bred young ladies were not supposed to be interested in things like ritual sex orgies, or castration. It became painfully obvious that I should have looked it up for myself...
But I digress. No, Sweetie, I'm afraid I don't have access to any internet sites with this info available.
Well, as much as I would like to take your word for it, I would prefer some actual resources to validate things you remember from when you were 13 and liked to read about mythology. I have tons of background resources about Ephesus, Artemis and so forth. I have yet to read anything to the effect that women who served in the temple were domineering over men regularly based on their understanding and worship of Artemis. I can provide you resources if you like.

I would ban them from my yard and forbid my children to play with them until they could learn to mend their ways.
Would you ban "all" older boys from your yard? Surely not. Yet, by your rationale, that is what Paul is doing, both in Corinth and Ephesus. He bans all women from using their gifts because some rowdy sailor women and gritty Artemis priestesses with an attitude pushing the boys around in the local church. Again, doesnt sound remotely like the Paul of the NT to me.

Gosh, thanks, WW. I do appreciate your encouragement.
But did you actually read the excerpts?
No, I have been extremely busy lately. I will try to read some of it when I get some spare time.

Jesus never demanded submission, at least not that I can recall.
I love the story of the woman who washes His feet with her tears and dries them with her hair.
Why would he have to? Are you familiar with the Jewish culture of the 1st century? Jesus certainly empowered women and used them in awesome ways...ways that were controversial in his day (who would have a woman be the first witness of the resurrection in the first century world? women were not even allowed to testify as witnesses in court!) Yet again, this is an argument from silence. It is like saying, "Jesus never condemned abortion, so he must not of had a problem with it." Of course he didnt condemn it...the Jews never practiced infanticide. Why would Jesus address an issue like this when it wasnt an issue for his audence? Jesus clearly taught that women were of great value, were to be respected, loved and that they were participates in the Kingdom and in his ministry. Yet he never makes an appeal for women to teach men. He could have easily of made Mary Magdalene one of the 12 Apostles if he wanted to make a statement in this regard or challenged his culture about women teaching. The fact that he says nothing is not an argument for his approval of women preaching and teaching men. If anything it merely shows that he didnt feel this was a cultural practice that needed to be challenged as he certainly had no problem challenging the traditions and expectations of his day.

Fevvinsake, it is time and past time to put aside such foolishness as "gender roles" (sorry, Paul), and simply love one another as Jesus loves us. I truly believe that, WW.

I believe Paul was inspired. So I am not in favor of saying, "Sorry Paul" not going to do what you said. Maybe we just have a different POV of Scripture as a whole.

That's a lovely sermon, my friend...but it isn't very realistic. At least not the part about marriage.
Maybe thats my problem, I preach the Bible, not pragmatism. I just dont believe the desires and commands of God are burdensome or incapable of being followed. But maybe I am a (relatively) young guy with an old fashioned point of view :)

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:
Barrd, I think you are projecting here. Your suggestion that perhaps most of people's doctrine on this matter throughout history was a result of wanting to keep women in their place is really disturbing to me. I believe we are to believe the best about our brothers and sisters in Christ. It seems that on this issue you are inclined to believe the worst.

Also, you are creating a false choice. No one is saying women cant evangelize, teach or share Christ. Who ever said that? This has to do with teaching a congregation and eldership only. We have already established that women prophesied, participated in teaching men in informal settings and likely worked with Paul in his evangelism efforts. Moreover, if this really is God's command given through Paul in the Scriptures, do you think he would command something that would keep people out of the kingdom!? God blesses obedience. I'd rather obey God and seek his blessing than base my views on human pragmatism.
You don't think that history itself testifies that men have deliberately oppressed women? Are you kidding me? Tell me, have you ever watched any old "I Love Lucy" reruns? Ever heard the song "Hey, Little Girl", which advises women that "there are girls at the office, and men will always be men..." Here are some adorable little advertisements from that era in our own history:

http://www.dose.com/throwback/2633/22-Vintage-Ads-Designed-To-Keep-Women-In-Their-Place-The-Last-One-Hit-Me-So-Hard

cc507915a8116b482f2663d3c8e65bd6.jpeg

Now, isn't that a sweet little ad? Bet that guy sold a bunch of books...
And look...the wife being spanked is smiling. Obviously, she has no problem with her husband treating her like a naughty child...in fact, she seems to enjoy it. "Spank me Daddy!" And look at the smile on hubby's face. S&M, anyone?
I quite honestly do not see this as God's command, as you seem to think it is. Why? Because Jesus, Who submitted His Will to His Father always, did not oppress women, but always treated them as equals. Whatever instructions He gave to His disciples, He gave to all of His disciples, throughout time.
Besides, it would make very little sense to say that it is okay for a woman to teach men as long as it is in an informal setting...as if somehow, in a more formal setting, her abilities suddenly vanish away. If she knew enough to teach in her kitchen at home, she knows enough to teach in the sanctuary at church. Where ever her body is, her brain goes with it, yes?
I know you don't think much of blogs, but this one you should look at:

http://godswordtowomen.org/sloan.htm

What are you saying here? It seems you are implying that women being submissive in the gathering of believers is the same thing as bullying women. I dont agree with this and I dont think that one necessarily leads to the other.
Enforced submission is the same thing as bullying. Forcing someone to submit to you against their will is the textbook definition of bullying.

In case you are unaware, Jewish and Roman practices of "slavery" is not at all the same as modern slavery where people were stolen from their homes and treated like animals due to their skin color. So, let us not confuse the two.
I suspect that you are talking about "bond-servants". But it was possible for a man to become a permanent slave:
Exo 21:2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
Exo 21:3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.
Exo 21:4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.
Exo 21:5 And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:
Exo 21:6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever.

I have to wonder here...did these "wives" have any choice in the matter?
Come to think of it, did any "wives" ever have any choice in the matter?

And, of course, the law was slightly different for the gals:

Exo 21:7 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.
Exo 21:8 If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her.
Exo 21:9 And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters.
Exo 21:10 If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.
Exo 21:11 And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.

Barrd, when it comes to interpretation of the Bible, we need actual interpretive rules that justify our views. You cant just say, "Well this is cultural, this is not" on a whim. What indicates to you that one thing is cultural and another is not cultural? How do you decide if Paul's prohibition of homosexuality, fornication, lying, head covering, or any other issue is a cultural one or a timeless command? Does Barrd decide that based on her own gut instinct? Do we allow the Western culture to decide for us based on whatever popular trends are? Of course not. There is a way to view the Bible and determine if Paul is talking about something in a way that he is only reflecting on his culture or if he is reflecting on something that is timeless and to be expected by all Christians for all ages. Paul uses creation, the Law, the angels, and his own practices and those of all the churches for justification for his commands about women speaking in the Church. If this does not indicate a timeless principle, then nothing does. We can just take and leave any command we want a whim if we are just going to interpret the Bible willy nilly with no regard for the actual context and arguments placed therein. This is called reading into the Bible want we want to see rather than allowing the Bible to shape and form your understanding of right and wrong. God is the authority on these matters, not us. His word should shape us rather than us shaping his word to our liking.
Do women in your church still cover their heads, WW? Most women in today's churches don't.
Do you think that God will damn them to hell for not wearing a hat?
Just curious...

Well, as much as I would like to take your word for it, I would prefer some actual resources to validate things you remember from when you were 13 and liked to read about mythology. I have tons of background resources about Ephesus, Artemis and so forth. I have yet to read anything to the effect that women who served in the temple were domineering over men regularly based on their understanding and worship of Artemis. I can provide you resources if you like.
Fair enough, WW. I don't expect you to take my word for it.

Would you ban "all" older boys from your yard? Surely not. Yet, by your rationale, that is what Paul is doing, both in Corinth and Ephesus. He bans all women from using their gifts because some rowdy sailor women and gritty Artemis priestesses with an attitude pushing the boys around in the local church. Again, doesnt sound remotely like the Paul of the NT to me.
Not all older boys...but all the kids from that family. And the ban would not necessarily be permanent. I would lift it the minute those kids could show me that they had changed their ways.

No, I have been extremely busy lately. I will try to read some of it when I get some spare time.
That's okay, WW. I really didn't expect you to.

Why would he have to? Are you familiar with the Jewish culture of the 1st century? Jesus certainly empowered women and used them in awesome ways...ways that were controversial in his day (who would have a woman be the first witness of the resurrection in the first century world? women were not even allowed to testify as witnesses in court!) Yet again, this is an argument from silence. It is like saying, "Jesus never condemned abortion, so he must not of had a problem with it." Of course he didnt condemn it...the Jews never practiced infanticide. Why would Jesus address an issue like this when it wasnt an issue for his audence? Jesus clearly taught that women were of great value, were to be respected, loved and that they were participates in the Kingdom and in his ministry. Yet he never makes an appeal for women to teach men. He could have easily of made Mary Magdalene one of the 12 Apostles if he wanted to make a statement in this regard or challenged his culture about women teaching. The fact that he says nothing is not an argument for his approval of women preaching and teaching men. If anything it merely shows that he didnt feel this was a cultural practice that needed to be challenged as he certainly had no problem challenging the traditions and expectations of his day.
I don't think you actually understood what I meant.
No, Jesus would not have had to demand submissiveness from the women in His time. Gals knew their place, didn't they? But they didn't seem to stay in that place around Him. He treated them differently than most men...He spoke to them, face to face. And He did something even more remarkable...He LISTENED to them.
Yes, sending Mary Magdalene to the men with the message that He had risen might seem strange...but then, none of the men had come to the tomb that morning. Only the gals.
What makes you so very sure that He did not choose the women to also be Apostles? Because you don't see anything about it in the Bible? Because your first century scholars don't mention it?
You can't hear me or see me, but I guarantee you, I am smiling.
Didn't He send Mary with a message? Isn't that the definition of "Apostle"? That is why Mary Magdalene is called "The Apostle to the Apostles".
I'm betting that there is lots of information like that not in our Bibles. However, such intel is available in other books, not included in the canon. I'm thinking of the Gospel of Mary Magdalene, but I'm quite sure that isn't the only one. Yeah, I know..."spurious". But those same scholars also tell me that the Gospels were not written by the men whose name they bear. They were written years later, or so I understand. Truly, this is one reason why I don't pay much attention to "scholarship". If the book says it is the Gospel of John, or the Gospel of Luke, or the Epistle of Peter the Apostle, then silly woman that I am...I believe that John, or Luke, or Peter wrote it.
I lifted the resurrection scene for my book, "The First Sinner" from the Gospel of Peter. There wasn't a whole lot of intel in the Gospels included in my Bible, and I wanted to include the actual resurrection, not just refer to it after the fact. Does this mean that I think that the Gospel of Peter was actually written by Peter, or that the events it details are actually true events? I'm not prepared to say. But I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, so long as it doesn't glaringly contradict the Bible as I know it. You?
I know that when Paul spoke of "all scripture", he could not possibly have been talking about the Bible as we know it, because it did not exist yet. Oh, what I would not give to know what scriptures were being read during that time! The Torah, of course...but what else?
Then too, if all the things that the Lord had done were to be written down, the world would not be able to contain the books...

I believe Paul was inspired. So I am not in favor of saying, "Sorry Paul" not going to do what you said. Maybe we just have a different POV of Scripture as a whole.
What do you think "inspired" means, WW?
Do you think God actually dictated to Paul?
1Co 7:25 Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.
1Co 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
1Co 7:40 But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.
1Co 7:6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
2Co 8:8 I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.
2Co 11:17 That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting.
All but the last two of those seems to concern women. Hmmm...

Maybe thats my problem, I preach the Bible, not pragmatism. I just dont believe the desires and commands of God are burdensome or incapable of being followed. But maybe I am a (relatively) young guy with an old fashioned point of view :)
Wisdom is justified of her children.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
What do you think "inspired" means, WW?
Do you think God actually dictated to Paul?
1Co 7:25 Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give my judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.
1Co 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
1Co 7:40 But she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.
1Co 7:6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.
2Co 8:8 I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.
2Co 11:17 That which I speak, I speak it not after the Lord, but as it were foolishly, in this confidence of boasting.
All but the last two of those seems to concern women.

Wisdom is justified of her children.
It means "breathed of God" so the issue is, does BARRD believe that or not?
It is clear here that Paul was HONESTLY expressing his feeljngs, based on his experience and CLOSE relationship to Jesus. Do you not trust his instincts, or His office?

Yes, wisdom is proved right by ALL her children, and Paul proved that throughout his lifetime and all the way to the present.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
It means "breathed of God" so the issue is, does BARRD believe that or not?
It is clear here that Paul was HONESTLY expressing his feeljngs, based on his experience and CLOSE relationship to Jesus. Do you not trust his instincts, or His office?

Yes, wisdom is proved right by ALL her children, and Paul proved that throughout his lifetime and all the way to the present.
What does it mean when someone reads something of mine, and says to me "You are an inspired author"?
Obviously, I am not inspired in the same way as the men who wrote the various books of the Bible. I would never think to claim such a thing.
And yet, I am very sure that I could not do what I do without God.
So, evidently, there are various degrees of inspiration...various ways in which God inspires people. Great artists, great musicians, great men and women of God throughout history have been inspired.

What I think here is that Paul, inspired by God, gave his young protege, Timothy, some very good advice. Dealing with the great Diana of the Ephesians and her priestesses could not have been easy for the new young pastor.

But I do not think this advice was intended to last throughout history, any more than I think that his instructions for slaves to obey their masters was a permanent thing. Even children eventually grow out of their parents' sphere of influence...and this is as it should be.

There really is no good reason at all, not to "suffer a woman to teach or usurp authority over a man". There was, at the time, 2000 odd years ago...but not any more. Diana has gone the way of history.

And as I've said before...if we don't stop fighting over such foolish issues as "who is better, boys or girls", like silly grade school kids in a playground, we may very well follow them. It isn't as if we are choosing up sides, here, fevvinsakes.

And you know...it is given unto the beast to make war with the saints....and overcome them...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
What does it mean when someone reads something of mine, and says to me "You are an inspired author"?
Obviously, I am not inspired in the same way as the men who wrote the various books of the Bible. I would never think to claim such a thing.
And yet, I am very sure that I could not do what I do without God.
So, evidently, there are various degrees of inspiration...various ways in which God inspires people. Great artists, great musicians, great men and women of God throughout history have been inspired.

What I think here is that Paul, inspired by God, gave his young protege, Timothy, some very good advice. Dealing with the great Diana of the Ephesians and her priestesses could not have been easy for the new young pastor.

But I do not think this advice was intended to last throughout history, any more than I think that his instructions for slaves to obey their masters was a permanent thing. Even children eventually grow out of their parents' sphere of influence...and this is as it should be.

There really is no good reason at all, not to "suffer a woman to teach or usurp authority over a man". There was, at the time, 2000 odd years ago...but not any more. Diana has gone the way of history.

And as I've said before...if we don't stop fighting over such foolish issues as "who is better, boys or girls", like silly grade school kids in a playground, we may very well follow them. It isn't as if we are choosing up sides, here, fevvinsakes.

And you know...it is given unto the beast to make war with the saints....and overcome them...
The Greek is where one starts, so that has to be the first consideration in arriving at the proper connotation. Secondly the inspiration is from God, so in that regard it far exceeds human inspiration, and in fact is perfect, unlike humans.
Nobody is FIGHTING over who is better, other than you, because as a women you seem to take everything personally and claim that any man who dares to disagree with you is misogynistic? Boys will be boys and girls will be girls, but THAT is irrelevant to the issue of what the Bible DOES teach.
As in all things of God, His written word is applicable until we no longer need it, which will be in the NEW earth.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. What is your point, Barrd? Do you think showing me some ads about women being beaten is going to change my views on whether I should believe the Bible or not? I never said men should beat women, nor does the Bible teach such a notion. Jesus did not oppress women and neither did Paul. I don't think a literal reading of 1 Tim. 2 is "oppressive" to women. If you think as much, I think your problem is with God and his Word, not with me.

2. I don't believe women should be "forced" to submit, just as I don't believe anyone should be "forced" to believe. Clearly you don't feel the need to submit to men in the area of teaching, and no one is forcing you to. My point is simply that I think you are in error. You keep erecting straw men to try to build leverage for your point. For the record, I don't believe in forced submission, beating women or any other such nonsense and you keep implying as much really only shows me you don't have much of a biblical case for your views so you resort to old drawings in catacombs and trying to portray me as a bigot that is set on perpetuating a mentality that fosters the oppression and mistreatment of women.

3. First, I don't have a church. Jesus has a church and I am a servant in it. Second, some women cover their heads and some do not. They do it because they feel it pleases God and I admire their desire to follow the Scriptures. Personally, I believe the head covering was a cultural practice and was a means of expressing submission. I think submission is the key and how different cultures express submission might change. Thus, in one setting head covering might be seen as submissive, whereas in another culture some other practice may communicate this attitude of submission better. However, if a woman feels personally convicted that she should cover her head as a sign of submission, then I have no problem with it.

4. I said one of the 12 apostles. Last I checked, there were only 12 apostles in the group known as the 12 apostles and none of them were women. Barrd, it seems you keep resorting to the arguments from silence. Jesus never told women they couldn't...how do you know women didn't.....what about the pictures that look like women...... I have explict verses I am looking at that command women not to teach men in the gathering of believers and mountains of teaching from the earliest church leaders saying this was their practice. You keep resorting to hypotheticals, pragmatism and arguments from silence. I'll stick with the Bible verses and teaching of the early church, myself. It's fine if you disagree with me, but the fact that you seem to have abandoned the Bible as your rationale for disagreeing is what I find alarming.

5. Your view on inspiration is deeply troubling. Sounds to me like you are saying, "If I don't like the verse, then it isn't from God." This kinda make you the authority and not God's Word, which is convenient if you don't want to do what it says, but very dangerous. If you do not understand the difference between writing something inspirational and something that is breathed out by God (inspired connotates breathing something in whereas God's word is "breathed out" or more literally, expired from God's own mouth.). I won't get into the various views on inspiration, but suffice it to say that God wrote the words and Paul (in the case of 1 Timothy) was the vessel of that writing. If you do not accept that, then this whole conversation is pointless. I assume all of the Bible is from God and is true and if you do not share that assumption, then there is no point in debating the words writhin the Bible.

Reactions: StanJ

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Wormwood said:
1. What is your point, Barrd? Do you think showing me some ads about women being beaten is going to change my views on whether I should believe the Bible or not? I never said men should beat women, nor does the Bible teach such a notion. Jesus did not oppress women and neither did Paul. I don't think a literal reading of 1 Tim. 2 is "oppressive" to women. If you think as much, I think your problem is with God and his Word, not with me.

2. I don't believe women should be "forced" to submit, just as I don't believe anyone should be "forced" to believe. Clearly you don't feel the need to submit to men in the area of teaching, and no one is forcing you to. My point is simply that I think you are in error. You keep erecting straw men to try to build leverage for your point. For the record, I don't believe in forced submission, beating women or any other such nonsense and you keep implying as much really only shows me you don't have much of a biblical case for your views so you resort to old drawings in catacombs and trying to portray me as a bigot that is set on perpetuating a mentality that fosters the oppression and mistreatment of women.

3. First, I don't have a church. Jesus has a church and I am a servant in it. Second, some women cover their heads and some do not. They do it because they feel it pleases God and I admire their desire to follow the Scriptures. Personally, I believe the head covering was a cultural practice and was a means of expressing submission. I think submission is the key and how different cultures express submission might change. Thus, in one setting head covering might be seen as submissive, whereas in another culture some other practice may communicate this attitude of submission better. However, if a woman feels personally convicted that she should cover her head as a sign of submission, then I have no problem with it.

4. I said one of the 12 apostles. Last I checked, there were only 12 apostles in the group known as the 12 apostles and none of them were women. Barrd, it seems you keep resorting to the arguments from silence. Jesus never told women they couldn't...how do you know women didn't.....what about the pictures that look like women...... I have explict verses I am looking at that command women not to teach men in the gathering of believers and mountains of teaching from the earliest church leaders saying this was their practice. You keep resorting to hypotheticals, pragmatism and arguments from silence. I'll stick with the Bible verses and teaching of the early church, myself. It's fine if you disagree with me, but the fact that you seem to have abandoned the Bible as your rationale for disagreeing is what I find alarming.

5. Your view on inspiration is deeply troubling. Sounds to me like you are saying, "If I don't like the verse, then it isn't from God." This kinda make you the authority and not God's Word, which is convenient if you don't want to do what it says, but very dangerous. If you do not understand the difference between writing something inspirational and something that is breathed out by God (inspired connotates breathing something in whereas God's word is "breathed out" or more literally, expired from God's own mouth.). I won't get into the various views on inspiration, but suffice it to say that God wrote the words and Paul (in the case of 1 Timothy) was the vessel of that writing. If you do not accept that, then this whole conversation is pointless. I assume all of the Bible is from God and is true and if you do not share that assumption, then there is no point in debating the words writhin the Bible.
My point was that the oppression of women was and still is a very real problem. Even to this day, there is oppression, although it is not what it once was.

And I do not believe that it belongs in Christ's church.

There were a lot more ads in that link that had nothing to do with women being beaten, btw. I don't think you ever looked at the link. Too bad, really. We can learn from our past.

I was raised to believe that "a woman's place is in the home," WW. Women were to stay home and keep house and raise kids, as nature intended. And I married right out of high school, because my family didn't think a girl needed a college degree. You don't need a fancy education to change diapers, mop floors, and bake biscuits. I never even dreamed of anything else. Girls in my family weren't raised to think that way. Of course, I know better now, but it took a terrible tragedy for me to figure it out.

I know you have verses. It's been said that you can prove just about anything from the Bible...IF you are willing to take a few verses out of their context, and put your own spin on them...of course you'd have to ignore or flat out deny anything from the Bible that might contradict you, and you'd have to rely heavily on your audience not to search the scriptures for themselves. And since most Christians don't seem to be willing to do that...well, that's one reason why we have so many denominations, all sure that they, and they alone, are the final authority on the "truth". I once watched someone "prove" that God favors prostitutes and harlots above all people, male or female. Seems a ridiculous notion, to be sure...but she actually built a very plausible case. She spoke of women like Rahab and Tamar, she tossed in Esther and Ruth and a few others, then from the NT, we heard about the woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears, and the woman taken in adultery. Now, she was not seriously saying that God prefers bad girls...but she was proving a point, which is what I've been saying. One can prove just about anything from the Bible. You got verses, I got verses, all God's children got verses. The problem is reconciling these verses, and that isn't always easy to do.

You think I'm "resorting to arguments from silence" because you totally discount the women who followed Him, right along with the men. Joanna was every bit as much His disciple as Peter, Suzanna and the rest of them also. No, I don't think these women had much written about them, because...well, because they were women. I'm actually kind of surprised to find Paul giving a few ladies credit in his letter to the Romans. Even to naming a female apostle. Of course, this is the only mention of Junia in the entire Bible...Andronicus, too, appears only here. So when did they get chosen? Or could it be that every time an Apostle was sent, it didn't necessarily get written about?

It's a funny thing. Whenever I insist that the Ten Commandments have not been "done away", nor could they be, because of what they are, I am met with a chorus of "You're wrong, Barrd! There is no more law, we're under grace! Grace or law...it can't be both!"
But when I say that this injunction from Paul about women teaching men in the church was temporary, for that church at that time, I get quite a different reaction. It's enough to make my poor head spin...

Of course, every precious word in my Bible is from God. But not all of them are meant for the time I live in. I do know the difference between "God breathed", as in His sacred Word, and "inspired" as in what I do, please don't misunderstand me. Was Moses inspired when he wrote those laws about bond-servants (slaves)? Yes, he was. For instance:

Exo 21:20 And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.
Exo 21:21 Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

Do they apply to our time? No, they do not.

You're right, of course...there is very little point in trying to continue this conversation. I would like us to part friends, though, WW.

May the Lord bless you and keep you, may the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and give you peace.

The Barrd