How aware are you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
How aware are you of attrocities that are happening right under your nose?

I learned a couple years ago that St. Louis is one of the coutry's worst cities in regards to the issue of Human Trafficking...

I also had the opportunity of meeting a gentleman in the college town to the north of me who had seen the attrocities perpetuated by fight for blood resources such as gems and other rare minerals...

These are world issues that are being brought to our doorsteps, and many people are unaware of them... they are 2 issues that really press on my heart...

We all know about drug problems, homelessness, domestic abuse, racism, hunger... I want to know if anyone has taken an active roll in combating these issues... I'm not saying that we should broadcast what we do to make our little corner of the Earth less dark to say "Look at Me!", but some people just don't seem to know how they can make a difference.

I would love to see what issues you are willing to get up a do something about... Please share organizations or causes that you support and why.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
How aware are you of attrocities that are happening right under your nose?

I learned a couple years ago that St. Louis is one of the coutry's worst cities in regards to the issue of Human Trafficking...

I also had the opportunity of meeting a gentleman in the college town to the north of me who had seen the attrocities perpetuated by fight for blood resources such as gems and other rare minerals...

These are world issues that are being brought to our doorsteps, and many people are unaware of them... they are 2 issues that really press on my heart...

We all know about drug problems, homelessness, domestic abuse, racism, hunger... I want to know if anyone has taken an active roll in combating these issues... I'm not saying that we should broadcast what we do to make our little corner of the Earth less dark to say "Look at Me!", but some people just don't seem to know how they can make a difference.

I would love to see what issues you are willing to get up a do something about... Please share organizations or causes that you support and why.

It would shock most who are holed up in their paneled houses to come down to the street level for just a day. Especially in bompy land.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we are called to foster relationships with all types of people - it involves more than simply writing a check, but actually getting to know people who may be struggling. I support visiting people in prison; getting to know the people we pass on the street who are looking for a hand out; holding the hand of a person who is going through the dying process - these are the people who are thirsting for the water of Christ.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
At times like that I apply the Christian instruction to .... "be separate from the world"

It is those souls who need Christ the most. They need to see the power of the Spirit of God displayed to regain some hope in Life. You would be surprised how alcoholics and drug addicts cons and much worse heart's change when they can see that the Gospel is true.

4And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
It would shock most who are holed up in their paneled houses to come down to the street level for just a day. Especially in bompy land.
I don't know what "bompy" means... I guess it is a regional term?...

At times like that I apply the Christian instruction to .... "be separate from the world"
...and I am not sure what you are getting at here, either...

Sorry guys, for my ignorance...

I know we are supposed to set ourselves apart by action through love... That is how I separate myself from the world...

I think we are called to foster relationships with all types of people - it involves more than simply writing a check, but actually getting to know people who may be struggling. I support visiting people in prison; getting to know the people we pass on the street who are looking for a hand out; holding the hand of a person who is going through the dying process - these are the people who are thirsting for the water of Christ.

I agree, money is important to fund ministries, but without people, those ministries can't accomplish anything.

I volunteered at a foodbank for a long time, and the place struggled because there weren't enough volunteers. The foodbank itself had allot of funding through local churches, but there were only 3 committed volunteers. We were reaching over 400 people a month when we closed, but we had to close because so many people thought that their money was a sufficient substitute for real help...

There are many Christians who are in a position that makes it hard for them to do anything but send money to the ministries that are laid on their heart, but there are many Christians who would rather substitute money for their calling to a need, because they cannot bring themselves to sacrifice their time.

There is also a prevailing sentiment among the destitute that money does not equal care... There are allot of people who need actual people to reach out, they don't want hand outs... They don't equate ministry with Church anymore, because they see the ministries as scapegoats for Christians who have better things to do than actually help the unfortunate.

I remember the people who came to the foodbank commenting on the lack of people to help for such a big need... They were grateful to the volunteers, but they felt some resentment to the people who felt money was enough.... At the end, the people we were trying to minister to were the ones keeping the ministry going by volunteering, but it became a case of conflicting interests...

Actual personable relationships are becoming less and less valued, and it is creating new needs that were not the norm in times past. I see Christians buying into this, and it saddens me.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
unfortunately, many Christians also substitute doctrine for relationships, sort of like money for relationships. Of course, doctrine and money are important, but not at the expense of love.

Reactions: Shirley