How Did You Come To Know The Lord ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
We all have unique experiences of how we came to the Lord...what are some of your stories ? I was broken down by life when one day I decided out of curiosity to go to Church with my sisters...I got saved that day.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I could say it was due to the fact that enough Christians told me what a stupid, evil, liar I am and that all I ever do is make excuses and lead people to Hell with my nonsense about love. And it was only then that I realized that sarcasm and resentment and bitterness and just plain nastiness was the real path to Heaven! But that would not be accurate. ;)

I have been lead by the Spirit into a deeper relationship with God, as the years of my life have passed. After experiencing God in prayer a couple of years ago, I realized that God has been with me throughout my life and has always wanted me to be apart of His Body - just like He longs to be in communion with all of us.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Well, I could say it was due to the fact that enough Christians told me what a stupid, evil, liar I am and that all I ever do is make excuses and lead people to Hell with my nonsense about love. And it was only then that I realized that sarcasm and resentment and bitterness and just plain nastiness was the real path to Heaven! But that would not be accurate. ;)

I have been lead by the Spirit into a deeper relationship with God, as the years of my life have passed. After experiencing God in prayer a couple of years ago, I realized that God has been with me throughout my life and has always wanted me to be apart of His Body - just like He longs to be in communion with all of us.
A rough road you've had to travel, but I'm glad that you are an essential part of the Body of Christ.

A rough road you've had to travel, but I'm glad that you are an essential part of the Body of Christ.
http://youtu.be/EAuh33_G5D0

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The good news is that most Christians I have met are kind and gracious. I can see Christ within them and am encouraged by their love for God and neighbor.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
I came to know the lord when i got away from sooth sayers, ear ticklers and back slappers and people trying to make my path to Hell as comfortable and easy as theirs was...when i learned that the way is narrow and difficult and requires sacrifice,when i learned the truth of reaping what i sowed and that the salvation purchased for me cost God everything and included perfect obedience to the law which i will some day have to call my own but for now must accept by faith through Jesus.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I grew up in a Christian home, it was a happy, wonderful place and I always assumed I was a Christian. During my teenage years I began to question whether I was or not...whether I was just 'borrowing' my parents faith. I knew about Jesus, I wanted to love him, but for years I just didn't feel it...and I thought that meant I wasn't being 'good' enough.
It wasn't until my mid twenties that God really tapped me on my shoulder. It was in the darkest part of my life and all of a sudden I found myself at a bible study...at that was it! A massive hunger awoke in me to read the word and to search for Jesus in everything. Imagine my surprise and amazement to discover that He had been there my entire life nudging me towards him, wooing me! After years of guilt of not going to church enough, not reading or praying enough, not trusting enough, it plain blew me away to find out that everything rests in his hands and his strength and his perfection. None of my own actions (or lack of them) had anything to do with my salvation, and clearly, Jesus wanted me! So since that day I've been struggling forward. It's not been easy, too easily do I fall back on feeling I need to be 'better'...which lets face it, is a tricky line to walk, as we are, in fact, striving to be better! The difference is that I try to on my own, where as I need to try using the power of the Holy Spirit. The comfort in all of it is that Jesus will hold me up...I love Him and trust Him and know that keeping my eyes on him will be the best and only lasting thing in this world!

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
A heretic and apostate tried to recruit me into the Kingdom Identity Cult himself and others were trying to foist on a local congregation. Even as an atheist at the time I recognized pure poppycock and pseudo-intellectual drivel when I saw it. I began to study to put this so called "christian" in his place and convince him of the bliss of evolution.

After a few read throughs of the Bible (to demonstrate logically the Bible could not be trusted) and being led to sit under scripturally sound teachers as I sought to demolish the Bible I was led not only to the truth that Kingdom Identity is a racist sham but that the Bible is indeed THE Word of God.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
At a youth revival after the preaching of the gospel I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Redeemer! I love me so Him ever since!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Well i knew about the Lord but i never really knew 100 % for sure that he was or why until one day the Lord gave me the answer.
I seeked and knocked for years but no man put a finger on it for me so the speak.
I was blown away and from that point on. he really is our Lord and our Saviour in the fullest context.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Went to church for most of my childhood, but didnt know God, then one day after I walked out of a service, the Holy Spirirt spoke to me said," there is something wrong with all of this", and ever since then about 32 years now, Ive come to know Him and Love Him more than any one could ever tell me about Him.

In All His Love

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I'll try to give you the shortened version, but I need to give you a little history first. Thanks to an abusive dad, I grew up shy and withdrawn and had no friends. Thanks to my dad, I had a sever stutter because of m y fear of him. When I was 16, I met a 15-year-old boy who was a Christian who wasn't afraid to witness--even on a street corner with other teens laughing at him.

One day he invited me to his church. I didn't want to go, but I was afraid he wouldn't want to be my friend if I said no. I was so desperate for a friend that i was even willing to have a Christian as my friend.

My first Sunday there, he asked me during the invitation after the service (which northern Baptist churches do), "Are you saved?" I had no idea what that meant, chuckled and replied, "Hard telling." He said, "It's no laughing matter!" It was to me. Saved? Saved from what? After the service, I was taken to a back room, told to get down on my knees and someone said, "Repeat these words after me." Being afraid of adults and afraid to say that I had no idea what was going on, I did as I was told--not knowing what the words meant. They were just words to me and had no meaning to me.

When I went home after the service, my dad jokingly asked me, "Well, did you get saved?" He was rasied a 7th Day Adventist, but he certainly was not a Christian. A lot of non-Christians know the words but don't take them to heart. I said, "Yes, but I don't know what from." At my reply to his question, we all laughed.

However, I found something at that church that I wasn't getting from my dad, love and acceptance, and I kept going. I don't know when i started thinking of myself as a Christian, but I certainly wasn't saved. I found that I had a talent for singing and got involved in the music ministry. The praises I got for my singing caused my head to swell, and I loved the attention I was getting. I went to every service and even went to special services at other Baptist churches that that church was involved with and even skipped school a lot to do it. For the next year (almost a year), I had doubts in my mind that I was saved once I learned what "saved" meant.

Now, jump forward nearly a year to May 18, 1963 when I was 17. I was in my bedroolm just after midnight on a Friday night/Saturday morning. I was reading in the New Testament and came across the words "believe" and "repent". I thought back to that day on June 1 of the previous year and realized that I had done neither of those, and suddenly I became more afraid and felt such terror as I had never felt even with my dad's abuse. I was still LOST in my sins! I thought, "What if I step out in the road and get run over by a car (Yes, that actually went through my mind)?

I got on my knees at my bedside and softly called out (My parents were in bed next to my room), "Lord, please forgive me and save me!" Suddenly, I literally felt a heavy load being lifted from my shoulders, and such peace as I had never known flooded through me! At that moment, all fear and doubts left me, and I knew I was truly forgiven and saved. I no longer had to fear death, for I was safely in Christ.

I had heard the gospel for that year (minus 2 weeks), but I thought I was a Christian. Satan had been telling me I was saved, and the Holy Spirit was telling me I wasn't, but I thought it was the other way around--until that night in my bedroom when the Holy Spirit finally won, and my eyes and mind were opened to the truth that I was still lost in my sins. My "conversion" had been a lie, because I had not believed, trusted by faith, or repented that day nearly a year earlier.

Now I often think of the song "I Know It's Real!" "The doubts are gone, and I know, I know it's real! I was safely in Christ and KNEW it!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I'll try to give you the shortened version, but I need to give you a little history first. Thanks to an abusive dad, I grew up shy and withdrawn and had no friends. Thanks to my dad, I had a sever stutter because of m y fear of him. When I was 16, I met a 15-year-old boy who was a Christian who wasn't afraid to witness--even on a street corner with other teens laughing at him.

One day he invited me to his church. I didn't want to go, but I was afraid he wouldn't want to be my friend if I said no. I was so desperate for a friend that i was even willing to have a Christian as my friend.

My first Sunday there, he asked me during the invitation after the service (which northern Baptist churches do), "Are you saved?" I had no idea what that meant, chuckled and replied, "Hard telling." He said, "It's no laughing matter!" It was to me. Saved? Saved from what? After the service, I was taken to a back room, told to get down on my knees and someone said, "Repeat these words after me." Being afraid of adults and afraid to say that I had no idea what was going on, I did as I was told--not knowing what the words meant. They were just words to me and had no meaning to me.

When I went home after the service, my dad jokingly asked me, "Well, did you get saved?" He was rasied a 7th Day Adventist, but he certainly was not a Christian. A lot of non-Christians know the words but don't take them to heart. I said, "Yes, but I don't know what from." At my reply to his question, we all laughed.

However, I found something at that church that I wasn't getting from my dad, love and acceptance, and I kept going. I don't know when i started thinking of myself as a Christian, but I certainly wasn't saved. I found that I had a talent for singing and got involved in the music ministry. The praises I got for my singing caused my head to swell, and I loved the attention I was getting. I went to every service and even went to special services at other Baptist churches that that church was involved with and even skipped school a lot to do it. For the next year (almost a year), I had doubts in my mind that I was saved once I learned what "saved" meant.

Now, jump forward nearly a year to May 18, 1963 when I was 17. I was in my bedroolm just after midnight on a Friday night/Saturday morning. I was reading in the New Testament and came across the words "believe" and "repent". I thought back to that day on June 1 of the previous year and realized that I had done neither of those, and suddenly I became more afraid and felt such terror as I had never felt even with my dad's abuse. I was still LOST in my sins! I thought, "What if I step out in the road and get run over by a car (Yes, that actually went through my mind)?

I got on my knees at my bedside and softly called out (My parents were in bed next to my room), "Lord, please forgive me and save me!" Suddenly, I literally felt a heavy load being lifted from my shoulders, and such peace as I had never known flooded through me! At that moment, all fear and doubts left me, and I knew I was truly forgiven and saved. I no longer had to fear death, for I was safely in Christ.

I had heard the gospel for that year (minus 2 weeks), but I thought I was a Christian. Satan had been telling me I was saved, and the Holy Spirit was telling me I wasn't, but I thought it was the other way around--until that night in my bedroom when the Holy Spirit finally won, and my eyes and mind were opened to the truth that I was still lost in my sins. My "conversion" had been a lie, because I had not believed, trusted by faith, or repented that day nearly a year earlier.

Now I often think of the song "I Know It's Real!" "The doubts are gone, and I know, I know it's real! I was safely in Christ and KNEW it!
Wow, what an amazing testimony of how uniquely God draws us to Himself...He uses everything in our life to point us unto Him. He used your father's abuse to give you a longing for a friend, He gave you a friend that knew Him and was'nt afraid to show it, He used your gift for music to keep you involved in the church, He showed you the words "believe" and "repent" , the Holy Spirit prompted you to do so in your bedroom and the rest is history. If any one of these things had'nt happened, the projectory of your life could have been different as is the case with each individual testimony of how we came to know the Lord. God's timing and design is perfect, He is the lover of our souls and there is nothing He would'nt do to get us safely in His arms and for us to finally realize that it is real.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually accepted Jesus as my Savior as a kid in a first grade class in a Christian school - unfortunately, my teacher was a bit on the zealous side - she gave us the opportunity to accept Jesus every day. And I took it! I really thought God was senile like my grandfather. Then I forgot about God until I went to hear Tony Campollo speak at Arco Arena. - then I got saved again. Then when I was listening to Dawson McAllister and I got saved again at an alter call - and then again the next year I heard him speak. Then in HS I got saved about twenty times at daily chapel alter calls.

It was only when I decided to become Catholic and stopped worrying about whether I am saved that I started engaging in a deep relationship with God

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I actually accepted Jesus as my Savior as a kid in a first grade class in a Christian school - unfortunately, my teacher was a bit on the zealous side - she gave us the opportunity to accept Jesus every day. And I took it! I really thought God was senile like my grandfather. Then I forgot about God until I went to hear Tony Campollo speak at Arco Arena. - then I got saved again. Then when I was listening to Dawson McAllister and I got saved again at an alter call - and then again the next year I heard him speak. Then in HS I got saved about twenty times at daily chapel alter calls.

It was only when I decided to become Catholic and stopped worrying about whether I am saved that I started engaging in a deep relationship with God
I think I've seen Tony Campollo a couple of times on TBN...good teacher

kensapp

Jul 8, 2012
Singapore
My notion about God has started in my family as they taught me how to pray and introduce Jesus as someone who could give all my wishes. I was reinforced and strenghen in school as they continuously educate me with the goodness of Christ. Knowing God is a free will that man realizes the need of spiritual guidance and divine intervention in his/her daily experiences. At times, this is often realized especially in difficult times.