How do we know who is referred to…

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we know whom it is who is referred to in Isa 53?
“The suffering servant”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“The suffering servant”

The New Testament explicitly identifies who the prophesied suffering servant is.

God communicates with us using language that we can understand. Some trinitarians deny this. Do you?

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since the subject from Gen 3:15 to Rev 22:21 is about Jesus Christ I think we can with relative certainty know that the servant was Jesus Christ as the book of Mark reflects.

As the promised BRANCH one of the aspects of Jesus Christ ministry would be the role of a Servant.

Zec 3:8 Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH.

The gospel of Mark emphasizes Jesus as a Servant. There is no genealogy as a position gained by descendant. The word “lord” or “sir” Greek (kurios) is used only 3 times of Jesus in Mark….. whereas it is used 73 times in the other three gospels.

There is a great emphasis in Mark on Jesus’s actions and responsibility in serving and helping others.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The New Testament explicitly identifies who the prophesied suffering servant is.

God communicates with us using language that we can understand. Some trinitarians deny this. Do you?

where in the New Testament?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I just wanted to read it? So where?

Do you have a Concordance? Do you have access to a search engine?

I’m confident that you’ve read the New Testament.

Why are you asking me - a person whom you don’t even believe is a Christian - to assist you, a Christian, to find something which every Christian should be able to find in the New Testament without the aid of non-Christians?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Matthew 8:14-17; Luke 22:35-38; John 12:37-41; Acts 8:26-35; Romans 10:11-21; 1 Peter 2:19-25.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have a Concordance? Do you have access to a search engine?

I’m confident that you’ve read the New Testament.

Why are you asking me - a person whom you don’t even believe is a Christian - to assist you, a Christian, to find something which every Christian should be able to find in the New Testament without the aid of non-Christians?

I typed in suffering servant and only get Isa 53

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So how did Philip know about Isa 53 refers to Jesus

How did any of the New Testament writers know? The same way they did.

1. They spent time with Jesus.
2. The Father revealed to them that Jesus is the Messiah.
3. They knew Isaiah was speaking about the coming Messiah.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did any of the New Testament writers know? The same way they did.

1. They spent time with Jesus.
2. The Father revealed to them that Jesus is the Messiah.
3. They knew Isaiah was speaking about the coming Messiah.

so much for the doctrine of the Bible alone!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
so much for the doctrine of the Bible alone!

I was raised Protestant and was taught sola scriptura. I spent summers on my grandparents farm and saw God outside of scripture; in his creation.

Many years later, I began reading Roman Catholic scholars. It was there that I found out when, where, why, how and by whom we came to have the doctrine of the Trinity. As you said so well, “so much for the doctrine of the Bible alone!”

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The suffering servant”

Good question Faith, if one was to just read this chapter, since that one is not named, you clearly could not define him beyond doubt. The Bible is complete however, and it is the best interpreter of itself, but you do need to know how to look. An invaluable tool we do have is a cross-reference Bible, we have the internet to ask questions as well, and through evidence can make a reasonable decision based on the Bible to identify him. We believe the passage is a prophecy of the Messiah. Most likely you do as well. Verse 4 and 5 really nail it down, correct?
(Isaiah 53:4, 5) . . .Truly he himself carried our sicknesses, And he bore our pains. But we considered him as plagued, stricken by God and afflicted. 5 But he was pierced for our transgression; He was crushed for our errors. He bore the punishment for our peace, And because of his wounds we were healed.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question Faith, if one was to just read this chapter, since that one is not named, you clearly could not define him beyond doubt. The Bible is complete however, and it is the best interpreter of itself, but you do need to know how to look. An invaluable tool we do have is a cross-reference Bible, we have the internet to ask questions as well, and through evidence can make a reasonable decision based on the Bible to identify him. We believe the passage is a prophecy of the Messiah. Most likely you do as well. Verse 4 and 5 really nail it down, correct?
(Isaiah 53:4, 5) . . .Truly he himself carried our sicknesses, And he bore our pains. But we considered him as plagued, stricken by God and afflicted. 5 But he was pierced for our transgression; He was crushed for our errors. He bore the punishment for our peace, And because of his wounds we were healed.

acts 8 how did Philip know it refers to Christ?