How do you respond to "Christians are hypocrites"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that my only answer to you is that you need to receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour; and cease trusting in your own works to save you but rely wholly and completely on the promise of salvation through what Christ did for you on the Cross.

Then you yourself will have the Holy Spirit and the question you have will no longer be a question.

You will be a member of the true church. You will be able to judge these matters yourself.

1Co 6:1, Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
1Co 6:2, Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1Co 6:3, Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
Another circular argument....I don't understand how your references to 1 Corinthians has to do with any of this but if it makes you feel good.....I wish you luck.

Mary

PS.....I have been born again and I have received Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I have met your criteria so therefor I must be a member of the true Church. Would you care to join me? I will give you their address if you tell me what city you live in.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you "preach the faith" you are telling others not to sin. You and me and everyone are sinners. Therefor you IN FACT would not be practicing what you preach.

What is the dictionary definition of one who does NOT practice what they preach?

Patient Mary

Preaching the faith is to preach the forgiveness of sins; and subsequent sanctification in the life. Yes, repentance is a part of the way of entry.

However, we are not preaching that we are sinlessly perfect.

2Co 4:3, But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
2Co 4:4, In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
2Co 4:5, For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
2Co 4:6, For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

I believe that what I placed in blue, above, answers a different question that has been asked.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another circular argument....I don't understand how your references to 1 Corinthians has to do with any of this but if it makes you feel good.....I wish you luck.

Mary

PS.....I have been born again and I have received Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I have met your criteria so therefor I must be a member of the true Church. Would you care to join me? I will give you their address if you tell me what city you live in.
Not if you are trusting in your works to save you. Which, I'm sorry to say, is a major teaching of the Catholic Church (that you are saved by your works to some degree).

I find in my encounters with people that it is normally the unbelievers who claim that we are using circular reasoning...my exhortation to you is to get inside the circle.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've heard this when I told people I'm a Christian. It's hard to defend when you have Christians doing nasty things. I usually have to agree with them that Christians can sin as much as unbelievers. I unfortunately had to tell one of my family members not to trust someone just because they claim they're a Christian. I think that's a way to fool people to let their guard down. I learned that the hard way. I don't know if my way is right or not but I usually agree with the person that Christians can be as much of a snake as the unbeliever, but then I add that not all Christians are the same; that some are further along and sanctified than others. I've seen my husband and I both be hypocrites at times. We try hard and try to correct it when we do it. I think one of Satan's snares are that he intentionally dogs the steps of the saints to try to trip them up. Then it ruins their testimony to others.

We were in one church where the family was very corrupt who owned the church. They cheated a lot of people out of their money, including us. The pastor who left their church told us that they caused so much trouble at one church in the area that there are people who refuse to step in a church anymore. They have absolutely no guilt. I contacted their new "pastor" and asked him how the Word of God could come out of his mouth. He refused to answer me. He knows what that family is, and how many people they've hurt, yet he chooses to preach at their "church" which is really a citadel of hell, where they lead the unwary. So I see where people can be turned off by "Christianity."
When asked if I'm a Christian I endeavour to say I believe Jesus died and was resurrected for you and me, do you believe that?
The term 'Christian' is too loose for me...who knows what ideas people have in their heads about Christianity the which I am not associated with.
Besides, my answer requires that they commit one way or the other. Hopefully it creates an opening.

D

Dave L

More than the three hours a day that I already do?

I would be swamped with reading.

The reason that I study right now is because I enjoy being in God's word and that He has exhorted me to diligence in reading the quota that I have every day.

If I actually put it on myself to do more than I already do, it might indeed amount to legalism concerning my study time...and that is not the heart of the Lord for me.
That's great spending this much time in the word. But something in your understanding doesn't line up with others who collectively spent thousands of life times in the word, spelled out in historic doctrines and creeds.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you "preach the faith" you are telling others not to sin. You and me and everyone are sinners. Therefor you IN FACT would not be practicing what you preach.

What is the dictionary definition of one who does NOT practice what they preach?

Patient Mary

Yes, we are sinners. Thus we preach the good news of Jesus Christ that we can saved. We sin, but we have an Advocate for us at the right hand of God. We confess our sins and He is faithful to forgive our sins.

We encourage people not to sin as we are no longer slaves to sin. We encourage people to walk in the Spirit. None of this makes us a hypocrite. We neither deny our own sin or the exhortation to sin no more.

Why are you so adamant about wanting to label Christians hypocrites?

Quantrill (alias Stranger)

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When asked if I'm a Christian I endeavour to say I believe Jesus died and was resurrected for you and me, do you believe that?
The term 'Christian' is too loose for me...who knows what ideas people have in their heads about Christianity the which I am not associated with.
Besides, my answer requires that they commit one way or the other. Hopefully it creates an opening.
That's a good point. The term "Christian" is flung about these days, not necessarily meaning that one has underwent spiritual rebirth. I read one of Billy Graham's books where he said that he firmly believes there are pastors in the pulpit who have not been spiritually reborn. That really stuck with me. When I tried to read the bible it made no sense until after I underwent rebirth. Understanding still didn't come easy - there are still parts of the bible that I don't grasp and have to wait for light on. I suppose there could be pastors who learned the bible with head knowledge. For instance, I saw where about 25 pastors in D.C. went to a Planned Parenthood abortion clinic and "blessed" it. I could barely read it. How can they be spiritually reborn and not know that's wrong? To "bless" it?? Like Billy Graham, I don't believe they're spiritually reborn. I know that David committed grievous sin and he was a man after God's own heart, so I'm still unsure of some things. I don't know how he could commit murder of Urias just to get Bathsheba. He knew it was wrong. I know that sin blinds, and I haven't really settled this question in my mind. In the church we went to the corrupt family severely hurt a number of people yet my husband said the man was one of the best bible teachers he knew. How can that be? I never settled that in my mind. I watched a show on Dateline where this guy killed this young college student. Her mother was furious and said "How can he teach the BIBLE!"

Has anyone else puzzled over this? It's one of those things that don't make sense.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's great spending this much time in the word. But something in your understanding doesn't line up with others who collectively spent thousands of life times in the word, spelled out in historic doctrines and creeds.
Each one of them spent only one lifetime in the word.

You might say, but they also drew on previous writings so their understanding of the word was based on a collective understanding.

You are assuming that I don't read books.

I also draw on the same collective understanding that they have drawn on.

You should stop and consider the possibility that your understanding of what these men of God have said is off-base and that I am right on the money with my understanding.

Psa 119:97, MEM. O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
Psa 119:98, Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
Psa 119:99, I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
Psa 119:100, I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

D

Dave L

Each one of them spent only one lifetime in the word.

You might say, but they also drew on previous writings so their understanding of the word was based on a collective understanding.

You are assuming that I don't read books.

I also draw on the same collective understanding that they have drawn on.

You should stop and consider the possibility that your understanding of what these men of God have said is off-base and that I am right on the money with my understanding.

Psa 119:97, MEM. O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
Psa 119:98, Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
Psa 119:99, I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.
Psa 119:100, I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.
You still have not read any of the historic books and creeds. Yet you set yourself up as being more knowledgeable than they.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we are sinners. Thus we preach the good news of Jesus Christ that we can saved. We sin, but we have an Advocate for us at the right hand of God. We confess our sins and He is faithful to forgive our sins.

We encourage people not to sin as we are no longer slaves to sin. We encourage people to walk in the Spirit. None of this makes us a hypocrite. We neither deny our own sin or the exhortation to sin no more.

Why are you so adamant about wanting to label Christians hypocrites?

Quantrill (alias Stranger)
I have a novel idea. You answer the question I asked you FIRST and then I will answer yours: What is the dictionary definition of one who does NOT practice what they preach?

Mary

D

Dave L

I have a novel idea. You answer the question I asked you FIRST and then I will answer yours: What is the dictionary definition of one who does NOT practice what they preach?

Mary
First, who are you accusing of this? Do you have proof?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, who are you accusing of this? Do you have proof?
hi Dave,

Read all of our previous correspondence to each other and it should be easy to figure it out.

Mary

D

Dave L

hi Dave,

Read all of our previous correspondence to each other and it should be easy to figure it out.

Mary
So you are accusing me? Any direct quotes might lead me to consider if what you say is true.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you are accusing me? Any direct quotes might lead me to consider if what you say is true.
Huh??? It is a conversation between Stranger and I....Soooooo how am I accusing you?

Mary

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
SG, man has the ability to generate an interest in anything, be it collecting little bits of paper (stamps) or deliberately increasing the noise of an engine (perhaps it gives them a sense of power) or tattoos and body piercings....the list goes on, all the while thinking they have something valuable in their possession.
In the same vane, men can read and teach the scriptures not because they have an interest in or know its author but purely because it suits their depraved nature. Subsequently, Jesus said 'you will know them by their fruits' and 'swallowing camels and straining out knats'
Knowing them by their fruits at times requires observation at length. Depravity often enough hides behind respectability....I'm sure we all are familiar with that one. Other times it's in your face, as obvious as a train smash.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depravity often enough hides behind respectability....I'm sure we all are familiar with that one. Other times it's in your face, as obvious as a train smash.
The question arises in my mind as to whether a person can cease to be a victim of depravity, as in no longer being a sinner, or being perfected for ever by one offering...

Can a person be completely set free from the power of sin?

What are anyone's thoughts on this?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My thoughts:

I am a sinner, in that sin dwells in my mortal flesh...however the Bible teaches that as believers we do not have to sin... and therefore we can come to a place in our Christian walk where we Go and sin no more (John 8:11).

1Jo 3:5, And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
1Jo 3:6, Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1Jo 3:7, Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jo 3:8, He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jo 3:9, Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Possibly hyperbole is being used here to indicate that if a man is born again he will experience a changed life; that he has changed his direction from towards sin, death, and hell to being towards righteousness, life, and heaven.

Pro 4:18, But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.

It has been said that we sin because we are sinners, not that we are sinners because we sin.

In that, I can choose not to sin and really still be a sinner; because it is not sinning that makes me a sinner.

If I sin because I am a sinner, then that does not mean that I necessarily will sin for being a sinner, it just means that I have a sin nature; and if it is alive in me, then yes, the practical outworking of that is that I will sin.

But if I render sin crucified and dead (cf. Romans 6:6, Galatians 5:24, Romans 7:8), then it has no authority to make me commit sin in the practical sense. I can indeed be set free (John 8:31-36), because I am not obligated to the flesh (Romans 8:12-13).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The question arises in my mind as to whether a person can cease to be a victim of depravity, as in no longer being a sinner, or being perfected for ever by one offering...

Can a person be completely set free from the power of sin?

What are anyone's thoughts on this?
We can expect to have to take up our crosses daily and follow the Lord Jesus (Luke 9.23), even as we rest in the finished offering for sin (Hebrews chs. 9 & 10).