Is Lying a Violation of the Ten Commandments? - No. - Well, maybe... ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lying about facts -- not about one's opinions -- for perceived gain, or to profit (financially or otherwise) from a deception injurious to another, is the sin. Other forms of dishonesty (like telling your wife her dress doesn't make her look fat) that do no harm are not sinful.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shhh!
That makes you a prime suspect for arson.

Not to worry though. No Commandments about arson and neighbors. - LOL

/
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you . That sums up that the building of another
ought not to have been burned down . as none would have wanted one to burn down their own house or property .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a five-year-old shows you a picture she painted, and it looks awful, and she asks you, "How does it look?" I don't think you're going to go to hell if you say, "Not bad."
That's not a lie or perjury....bad example...what is your point? Not bad..... is a individual judgment factor...subject to interpretation.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have three rules I study and teach the Bible by;

1) Take the Bible literally where at all possible, if figurative typical or symbolic language is used then we are to look for a literal interpretation it intends to convey.
2) Look for scripture which interprets scripture
3) Do not Spiritualize the Bible.

They serve well as a guide.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not a lie or perjury....bad example...what is your point? Not bad..... is a individual judgment factor...subject to interpretation.
I am demonstrating that lying sometimes is meant to spare people's feelings.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am demonstrating that lying sometimes is meant to spare people's feelings.
Ah so...didn't see that.

Won't work...you are spiritualizing the Bible.
Same as one who suggest God would not drown all the folks in the great flood. Or that He would not condemn folks to eternal condemnation, Universalism, et al.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah so...didn't see that.

Won't work...you are spiritualizing the Bible.
Same as one who suggest God would not drown all the folks in the great flood. Or that He would not condemn folks to eternal condemnation, Universalism, et al.
Spiritualizing the Bible? That doesn't sound like a bad thing, but what I'm doing is demonstrating there is a difference between lying and bearing false witness against your neighbor.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 9th Commandments reads:
“You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. - EXODUS 20:16 NIV

Giving false testimony is perjury specifically, not lying in general. ???

perjury /pûr′jə-rē/

noun​

1. The crime of willfully and knowingly making a false statement about a material fact while under oath.
  2. An act of committing such a crime.
    "testimony full of perjuries."
  3. False swearing.

So... Is Lying a Violation of the Ten Commandments? - No. - Well, maybe... ???

What if the perjury is not against your neighbor?

Furthermore, we are not under the law that God gave to the Israelites alone through Moses.

So, where does that leave us?

View attachment 42890

/
How about God hates liars!

Proverbs 6:16-19

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Proverbs 12:22
Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord
, but those who act faithfully are his delight.

Revelation 21:8
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Exodus 20:16
“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Zechariah 8:17
Do not devise evil in your hearts against one another, and love no false oath, for all these things I hate, declares the Lord.”

Proverbs 11: 1-3
Dishonest scales are an abomination to the Lord,
but a just weight is his delight. When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom. The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them.

John 8:44
You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Ephesians 4:29

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Proverbs 19:5
A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape.

Matthew 15:18-20
But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”

Psalm 101:7
No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.

1 John 1:6

If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Matthew 5:8
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

Proverbs 8:13

The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.

1 Timothy 1:10

The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,