How does Satan tempt us?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Satan uses appeals to selfish desires.....whatever our weaknesses are, the devil knows them and will set us up to be tempted, just as he tempted even Jesus Christ.
What did he use? (Luke 4: 1-13)
After Jesus had spent 40 days in the wilderness being prepared for his role as Messiah, the account says he did not eat during this time and now he felt hungry....so the devil told him to make bread out of the stones, abusing his power to satisfy his hunger. Jesus refused stating, “It is written, ‘Man must not live on bread alone”...
The power of the holy spirit was to be used for the benefit of unbelievers, not believers. There is no record of either Jesus or the apostles using the power of God’s spirit on themselves, or each other.

The next temptation involved world rulership with the devil stating that “all the kingdoms of the world” had been delivered to him, and that he could give Jesus all the kingdoms of the world, right now, if he would do just one act of worship to him....again Jesus refused stating...
“It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

Finally he took him up to the battlement of the temple and told him to throw himself off it as angels would catch him to prevent him from being injured....what was Jesus’ response?
“It is said, ‘You must not put Jehovah your God to the test.’”

Each temptation was an appeal to Jesus’ free will, bit by bit encouraging him to exercise selfishness.
But he failed, and Jesus showed us that Adam and his wife could have resisted the devil’s temptations too.

“So the Devil, having finished all the temptation, departed from him until another convenient time.”

Do satan’s temptations ever stop? No! He has little time left before he serves his 1000 years of imprisonment in the abyss. He is stirring up much trouble in the world right now, because he is not going down without a fight. Faithful Christians will be caught in the crossfire, but God has promised to protect his loyal ones through it all. A wonderful future awaits those who remain faithful and obedient. (Rev 21:2-4)

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra and Nancy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fear, doubt, obstacles, lusts, pride.
Anything that takes your mind off God.

The power of God is stronger than the temptations of Satan.
I find that when temptations come, it gives me an opportunity to try out those gifts or weapons however you percieve them to be, to fight back against them.
In the end, every temptation Satan puts before us, if we are totally trusting and have faith in God, he has no pwer over us, and we become stronger in the Lord.

So while most people say temptations are evil, I find them a sort of necessary evil to teach us how to battle the good fight of faith.

Everything is a temptation if you let it get under your skin.

Hugs

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not directly relevant perhaps, but one of my little truisms is that it's much easier to avoid temptation than resist it. I believe this is what the old saying "There but for the grace of God goes I" means. Put me in Tiger Woods' shoes and I'd probably succumb to just as many temptations. Fortunately, the quiet little life for which I've opted makes avoiding temptation much easier.

I think Satan tempts us by taking who we fundamentally are - greedy, lustful, angry, envious or whatever our personal proclivities happen to be - and, if we allow him, steering or presenting us with opportunities to stumble. That's why I think Satan is best defeated by avoiding those opportunities, not seeing how well we can resist them. Some are unavoidable, which I believe is part of God's plan for our lives - they are opportunities to rely on Him (or, if we do stumble, humility-inducing reminders that we aren't finished products yet).

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He does not. Aside from that his head has been crushed into incapable of doing anything. There is no LAW for Satan to use on the Nation of Israel. And the LAW has been fulfilled by Christ. Therefore how can Satan do anything?

Your own desires tempt you; by what the World offers.

Jesus makes it clear here.

That Which Defiles​

15 Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’[a]and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[b] 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:

8 “‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’[c]”
10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”

12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”

13 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots.14 Leave them; they are blind guides.[d] If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”

15 Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”

16 “Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them.17 “Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body?18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”

James makes it clear here, by virtue of the Lord Yeshua. Unless you think this letter is just a flaw.

But every man is tempted when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed.

Doesn’t say anything about Satan. Our own lust, are our own no one else’s.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He does not. Aside from that his head has been crushed into incapable of doing anything.
You see what God fed the children with in the wilderness that they called manna?

Psa 74:14
Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness.

There is a saying, goes something like... You are what you eat.

Just thinking..
Hugs

Reactions: Nancy and dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think?
He speaks spiritually. It is the mechanism that provokes thought. When he speaks subtly or not we have thoughts. Being aware of the spiritual world and being given a gift of discernment I often hear him talk to me and other angels.

Some people aren't aware that Satan can promote thoughts from speaking. Sometimes they even end up homosexual or commit acts of brutality because of it I think. Not even knowing it is not their own soul.

It is therefore important to be able to distinguish between ourselves and temptation.

It is also important to distinguish spiritual communication from God so that we give God glory.

Reactions: Ziggy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You see what God fed the children with in the wilderness that they called manna?

Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness.

Just thinking..
Hugs

Some of those Israelites became greedy only to have maggots to eat in the morning for not listening. There is something also that is a saying We are our own worst enemy; if God can be for you, who could be against you?

A waring between oneself and the spiritual things concerning Yahava, or in general the Heavens above.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just thinking..
Hugs
If we are filled with the Holy Spirit the temptations are less. I often wonder how many tragedies could be avoided from people not engaging in activities or lack thereof that increase their tempted state?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He does not. Aside from that his head has been crushed into incapable of doing anything. There is no LAW for Satan to use on the Nation of Israel. And the LAW has been fulfilled by Christ. Therefore how can Satan do anything?

James makes it clear here, by virtue of the Lord Yeshua. Unless you think this letter is just a flaw.

I believe we've discussed this before at length. I still disagree.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think it makes Satan's job easier when we believe he is not trying to tempt us.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe we've discussed this before at length. I still disagree.
We have before.
I think it makes Satan's job easier when we believe he is not trying to tempt us.
To me. It’s stupid. To think someone whom is done away with, can’t tempt you. It really tones down Jesus and his victory. Satan must be stealing souls away if he is still active.

What happens is when you learn right from wrong by and through Jesus Christ, and you learn about how you and everyone else can be inside of their heart.

Greedy, Jealous, etc…

It’s us who desire and lust. Adam and Eve had their own desires, Eve seen the fruit as good for wisdom and decided to take. It wasn’t Satan. Adam decided to go on and choose his wife and eat with her because she must have been a hotty (jokingly), Adam then blamed God for giving him the woman as though his decision was not his fault.

Who is to blame? Satan? Or were they responsible for themselves and their decisions!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have before.

To me. It’s stupid. To think someone whom is done away with, can’t tempt you. It really tones down Jesus and his victory. Satan must be stealing souls away if he is still active.

What happens is when you learn right from wrong by and through Jesus Christ, and you learn about how you and everyone else can be inside of their heart.

Greedy, Jealous, etc…

It’s us who desire and lust. Adam and Eve had their own desires, Eve seen the fruit as good for wisdom and decided to take. It wasn’t Satan. Adam decided to go on and choose his wife and eat with her because she must have been a hotty (jokingly), Adam then blamed God for giving him the woman as though his decision was not his fault.

Who is to blame? Satan? Or were they responsible for themselves and their decisions!
I believe you are confusing prophesy with the present time.

Look at how badly the world has gone astray. Politicians and the press constantly lie. Can't you see Satan's influence?

Reactions: O'Darby and Ziggy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you are confusing prophesy with the present time.

Look at how badly the world has gone astray. Politicians and the press constantly lie. Can't you see Satan's influence?
That’s the common denominator of saying look Satan still alive because of this. I don’t think like that.

Humans make choices.

Your own nephew can decide by himself to murder. Children learn about it early in life, from grade school.

The world has been a lot better in my opinion concerning the state which was seen prior to the destruction of Israel and the doing away with Satan.

Use to, you, believe in Christ you would be murdered on sight. That’s not like today.

That doesn’t mean there is no darkness, still lurking within our own soul. I can tell right from wrong, by just my conscious. Some conscious become seared; however Jesus can still heal their wounds and their vacant dark heart.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s the common denominator of saying look Satan still alive because of this. I don’t think like that.

Humans make choices.

Your own nephew can decide by himself to murder. Children learn about it early in life, from grade school.

The world has been a lot better in my opinion concerning the state which was seen prior to the destruction of Israel and the doing away with Satan.

Use to, you, believe in Christ you would be murdered on sight. That’s not like today.

That doesn’t mean there is no darkness, still lurking within our own soul. I can tell right from wrong, by just my conscious. Some conscious become seared; however Jesus can still heal their wounds and their vacant dark heart.
The Bible states that Satan rules the world (1 John 5:19). You can see it everywhere - lies, lies, lies. You even see it in the church.

The Bible prophesizes that Satan will be defeated. That is in the process of happening right now.

Reactions: Cassandra

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible states that Satan rules the world (1 John 5:19). You can see it everywhere - lies, lies, lies. You even see it in the church.

The Bible prophesizes that Satan will be defeated. That is in the process of happening right now.

Jesus also promises to remove Satan from that position.

John 12
Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out.

I understand though. You look at the world through a world view that suggest everyone and everywhere is demonic things going on.

Sure, there are two wisdoms you know?

James 3:13-18​

New International Version​

Two Kinds of Wisdom​

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.

Still, it doesn’t suggest that Satan is still running around. Or that Satan continues tempts people, when temptation comes from our own heart and mind.

You can suggest Jesus has not won yet, that is okay. You already know I disagree with that stance because it really puts

Jesus in the limelight of being a liar himself.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus also promises to remove Satan from that position.

John 12
Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out.

I understand though. You look at the world through a world view that suggest everyone and everywhere is demonic things going on.

Sure, there are two wisdoms you know?

James 3:13-18​

New International Version​

Two Kinds of Wisdom​

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth.15 Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
17 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. 18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.

Still, it doesn’t suggest that Satan is still running around. Or that Satan continues tempts people, when temptation comes from our own heart and mind.

You can suggest Jesus has not won yet, that is okay. You already know I disagree with that stance because it really puts

Jesus in the limelight of being a liar himself.
Satan will be defeated.