How Important Truth?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

@OzSpen . Pilate asked the same thing. I think my answer to Amadeus is closest. Truth is revelation... Light... Regarding mainly that which had previously been misunderstood, that is the character of God. Jesus came as a light to the world... To reveal the Father. It is a misapprehension regarding the character of God that leads to most other errors regards biblical truth.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is the meaning of aletheia in Phil 1:18
Strong's Concordance (225)
alétheia: truth
Original Word: ἀλήθεια, ας, ἡ

Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: alétheia
Phonetic Spelling: (al-ay'-thi-a)
Definition: truth
Usage: truth, but not merely truth as spoken; truth of idea, reality, sincerity, truth in the moral sphere, divine truth revealed to man, straightforwardness.

While this word has several meanings, our focus is on "divine truth revealed to man". As to the usage in this verse, it contrasts true and false motives (sincerity) in the preaching of the Gospel. Paul says that regardless of the motive, if the Gospel is preached -- if Christ is preached -- he will rejoice. Presumably he is speaking about the true Gospel, otherwise if it were "another gospel" it would be accursed.

King James Bible
What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
Christian Standard Bible
What does it matter? Only that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is proclaimed, and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice.

As I mentioned earlier the essence of spiritual warfare is the battle between divine truth and Satanic falsehood. We see this right at the beginning in Genesis 3.

Reactions: Acolyte

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No. But but when the Sabbath is raised as a false concept we defend the sacredness of the Sabbath because we believe the law is sacred. Of course for those who have no respect for Sabbath, it is to be expected that their only excuse is to demonstrate a lack of respect or regard for law. There is a name for that... Lawless.
what resting from ones own works,

this part

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
Heb 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

you are not resting and demand we all do the same.

something to do with cleaning the outside of the cup. You are trying to justify your religion just as BOL does, He also claims his religion is from God, how is he any different from you.

B

brakelite

what resting from ones own works,

this part

Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
Heb 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

you are not resting and demand we all do the same.

something to do with cleaning the outside of the cup. You are trying to justify your religion just as BOL does, He also claims h is religion is from God, how is he any different from you.
The Sabbath is a gift from God made for man at creation. I see nothing in that which perverts the gospel.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How Important is Truth?
I am the Way, the Truth,, and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father except by Me.

50 odd years ago there was a church in I think the city of Indianapolis called the Peoples Temple. The minister there was a gifted and charismatic preacher, hugely popular, endorsed and recommended by some very important and influential people including congressmen and senators and J Edgar Hoover himself (of FBI fame).
The people of his congregation were ordinary people like you and me, searching for a spiritual home in which to worship and bring their families.
One such person presented to the minister one day some concerns over a particular doctrinal matter. It appeared to the parishioner that the minister’s teaching differed somewhat from the Bible and the church member was asking for an explanation. The minister’s response was something along these lines: “Don’t worry about that, what is really important is people. Here in our church we believe that loving one another is more important than a few doctrines. Love is what we are about here.”
The minister’s name was the Rev. Jim Jones. Most of the 900 members of his congregation died in Guyana after a mass suicide from drinking poisoned cool-ade.
Folks, truth is important.

20 years ago I shared my faith with my brother-in-law. For 3 hours we poured over the scriptures, which brought answers to his every objection to my faith. Not long after he went overseas with his family chasing a dream. He returned 10 years later penniless, the dream unrealised, in debt, and blind. Yet stubbornly cleaving to the dream.

20 years ago an uncle and aunty of mine came to stay with us for a while. They witnessed our lifestyle, heard our prayers, saw what God had done for and in us. Within a few weeks of leaving my uncle had a heart attack and died.

18 years ago I was discussing doctrinal differences with my Christian employer. He agreed that my and my churches’ understanding of scripture made sense and was biblically consistent. Two weeks later he had a heart attack right in front of me, and despite over two hours of CPR , he died.

12 years ago I was invited by a neighbour to participate in a series of Bible studies at their home, based on the well known and popular ‘40 days of purpose’ by Rick Warren. Early on I noticed some teachings of Warren’s with which I disagreed. I prepared a bible study and shared this with my hosts on another evening. He and his wife both agreed with my view, but asked that I not bring it up with the other participants, saying “what is important is people, let us just love one another”. Sound familiar? One month after the end of the series, my neighbour had a heart attack, and died.

Apart from perhaps the Jim Jones saga, I am not suggesting in any way that those deaths were a result of rejecting truth. The point I wish to stress in this thread is two-fold. One, we must embrace truth to it’s absolute fullest while we can-for we do not know what tomorrow may bring. Not only in respect to our mortality here on earth, but also in respect to the soon coming of our Saviour to bring an end to this sin-sick world. Second point is by way of a challenge. How important to you is truth? Have you received a love of the truth, such a love that falsehood has become offensive to you? Such a love that a lie becomes an abomination? Do you love truth as an eternal principle, or do you love that which you believe to be true. There is a huge difference between loving TRUTH, as a principle of life, and loving the doctrine, practice, or tradition you currently believe in, thinking it to be true. Because unless you love TRUTH, your doctrine which you hold so dear could very well be a lie. ( 2Thess. 2:10-12.)
This is a salvation issue folks. The doctrines I was discussing with those now deceased were important. They are hotly debated on these forums every day. Let me state unequivocally, that if the weight of scriptural evidence is not in your favour with respect to any particular doctrine, you are wrong not to at least investigate the possibility that you could be in error. And if on concluding your investigation the weight of evidence still stands against you, then you are wrong if you do not accept and adopt a different stance.
British philosopher W.K.Clifford once said,” It is always wrong, everywhere and for everyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence.”
Folks, truth is important. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. You reject truth, you reject the author and foundation of truth. Unless you are sincerely and honestly willing to give up any current belief if the scriptures so direct, then you do not love truth, and the very real danger there is, as Paul warns in 2 Thess., you will accept a lie, even the antichrist himself.
How important is Truth?
It is the Cornerstone of the church. It is the Foundation upon which rests everything we build. It is the Rock which is immoveable and supports our faith. It is the Vine through which we are fed. It is the Bread which nourishes us and sanctifies us.
TRUTH. Embrace it. Love it. Cleave to it.
If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Regards
Brakelite.

That was awesome BL. Truth is all I wanted when seeking Him and, we may be sometimes hard of hearing, spiritually, if we really are seeking the Truth-He will come. :)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have long believed that an understanding of the Person of Christ and of the Work of Christ are bound up inseparably.
It’s amazing how we can read the epistles and see Paul’s steps mirroring the steps of Christ. He had a great understanding of truth.

1 Corinthians 4:11-13,16 KJV
[11] Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace; [12] And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: [13] Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day. [16] Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
He continues to step through Paul’s very feet
This is truth
Tecarta Bible

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can I perform these things? How can I as a man lay down my pride, men and women will mock me beat and abuse me say Ian pathetic, use me for their selfish gain, and when my carcass is thrown on the dung heap all I’ll have left to be said of me is;
Christ was seen
Christ and Paul say be ye followers of me?

Reactions: Acolyte

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one could imagine a Barrier and in the middle of the Barrier was a DOOR...

And the Door had a SIGN that SAID...

THIS WAY...a man might be intrigued.

TRUTH...a man might ponder ah ha.

LIFE...a man might be enticed to open the door.

Yet...if the NEXT thing on the DOOR SAID...

THE DOOR IS JESUS. ENTERING MEANS GOING THROUGH JESUS.

How many men will STEP BACK AWAY from the DOOR....BECAUSE a million thoughts flash through their Carnal MIND?

OH no....the mans...
Cheating on his wife, crooked business deals, theft of company money for being paid when he wasn't working, pretending he was praying when he was trying to come up with a excuse to go meet his lover, telling his kids they would do something together while trying to figure an excuse to back out, and on and on and on....

Many people IMO, are AFRAID of their
OWN TRUTH being EXPOSED.

God Bless,
Taken

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one could imagine a Barrier and in the middle of the Barrier was a DOOR...

And the Door had a SIGN that SAID...

THIS WAY...a man might be intrigued.

TRUTH...a man might ponder ah ha.

LIFE...a man might be enticed to open the door.

Yet...if the NEXT thing on the DOOR SAID...

THE DOOR IS JESUS. ENTERING MEANS GOING THROUGH JESUS.

How many men will STEP BACK AWAY from the DOOR....BECAUSE a million thoughts flash through their Carnal MIND?

OH no....the mans...
Cheating on his wife, crooked business deals, theft of company money for being paid when he wasn't working, pretending he was praying when he was trying to come up with a excuse to go meet his lover, telling his kids they would do something together while trying to figure an excuse to back out, and on and on and on....

Many people IMO, are AFFRAID of their
OWN TRUTH being EXPOSED.

God Bless,
Taken
Maybe this is quenching and grieving the spirit? How can a man embrace his truth without it killing him?

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How Important is Truth?
I am the Way, the Truth,, and the Life. No man cometh unto the Father except by Me.

50 odd years ago there was a church in I think the city of Indianapolis called the Peoples Temple. The minister there was a gifted and charismatic preacher, hugely popular, endorsed and recommended by some very important and influential people including congressmen and senators and J Edgar Hoover himself (of FBI fame).
The people of his congregation were ordinary people like you and me, searching for a spiritual home in which to worship and bring their families.
One such person presented to the minister one day some concerns over a particular doctrinal matter. It appeared to the parishioner that the minister’s teaching differed somewhat from the Bible and the church member was asking for an explanation. The minister’s response was something along these lines: “Don’t worry about that, what is really important is people. Here in our church we believe that loving one another is more important than a few doctrines. Love is what we are about here.”
The minister’s name was the Rev. Jim Jones. Most of the 900 members of his congregation died in Guyana after a mass suicide from drinking poisoned cool-ade.

20 years ago I shared my faith with my brother-in-law. For 3 hours we poured over the scriptures, which brought answers to his every objection to my faith. Not long after he went overseas with his family chasing a dream. He returned 10 years later penniless, the dream unrealised, in debt, and blind. Yet stubbornly cleaving to the dream.

20 years ago an uncle and aunty of mine came to stay with us for a while. They witnessed our lifestyle, heard our prayers, saw what God had done for and in us. Within a few weeks of leaving my uncle had a heart attack and died.

18 years ago I was discussing doctrinal differences with my Christian employer. He agreed that my and my churches’ understanding of scripture made sense and was biblically consistent. Two weeks later he had a heart attack right in front of me, and despite over two hours of CPR , he died.

12 years ago I was invited by a neighbour to participate in a series of Bible studies at their home, based on the well known and popular ‘40 days of purpose’ by Rick Warren. Early on I noticed some teachings of Warren’s with which I disagreed. I prepared a bible study and shared this with my hosts on another evening. He and his wife both agreed with my view, but asked that I not bring it up with the other participants, saying “what is important is people, let us just love one another”. Sound familiar? One month after the end of the series, my neighbour had a heart attack, and died.

Apart from perhaps the Jim Jones saga, I am not suggesting in any way that those deaths were a result of rejecting truth. The point I wish to stress in this thread is two-fold. One, we must embrace truth to it’s absolute fullest while we can-for we do not know what tomorrow may bring. Not only in respect to our mortality here on earth, but also in respect to the soon coming of our Saviour to bring an end to this sin-sick world. Second point is by way of a challenge. How important to you is truth? Have you received a love of the truth, such a love that falsehood has become offensive to you? Such a love that a lie becomes an abomination? Do you love truth as an eternal principle, or do you love that which you believe to be true. There is a huge difference between loving TRUTH, as a principle of life, and loving the doctrine, practice, or tradition you currently believe in, thinking it to be true. Because unless you love TRUTH, your doctrine which you hold so dear could very well be a lie. ( 2Thess. 2:10-12.)
This is a salvation issue folks. The doctrines I was discussing with those now deceased were important. They are hotly debated on these forums every day. Let me state unequivocally, that if the weight of scriptural evidence is not in your favour with respect to any particular doctrine, you are wrong not to at least investigate the possibility that you could be in error. And if on concluding your investigation the weight of evidence still stands against you, then you are wrong if you do not accept and adopt a different stance.
British philosopher W.K.Clifford once said,” It is always wrong, everywhere and for everyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence.”
Folks, truth is important. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. You reject truth, you reject the author and foundation of truth. Unless you are sincerely and honestly willing to give up any current belief if the scriptures so direct, then you do not love truth, and the very real danger there is, as Paul warns in 2 Thess., you will accept a lie, even the antichrist himself.
How important is Truth?
It is the Cornerstone of the church. It is the Foundation upon which rests everything we build. It is the Rock which is immoveable and supports our faith. It is the Vine through which we are fed. It is the Bread which nourishes us and sanctifies us.
TRUTH. Embrace it. Love it. Cleave to it.
If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Regards
Brakelite.
Jim Jones was so charismatic. Most people are stupid sheep who love sin and hate truth and are easily swept along with the tide of charisma, no matter if it's outwardly satanic or wrapped in a garb of false Christianity.

Reactions: Helen

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed...1Co 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

By rejecting the written word you are doing no better than the Papacy when they burned people to death in the dark ages because they had a page or a few pieces of scripture. Thus why they were called the dark ages. I agree that truth mixed with error is bad, even highly dangerous because a little poison is undetectable. Which is why we cannot trust in our senses or feelings.
Yes, revelation is essential. Yes, our trust is in God, and Him only. Which is why it is imperative we pray and commit ourselves to His guidance when we read His word. And just as He guided the two disciples on the road to Emmaus, opening up to them the scriptures, so He will do so for all those who trust Him. But the Spirit of God, and I cannot emphasise this enough, will never contradict what He has previously considered good to share with our predecessors.
Are you not disqualifying the Bible as a divine revelation and exalting personal revelation above the Bible?
I never heard that the Papacy burned people to death. No wonder a pastor I once met was staunchly anti-Catholic.

I've read that Satan mixes a little truth in with his lies to make them palatable.

Last edited:

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An authority on love? What is clearly seen is a man high on pride. Some quotes of Jones:

• The young preacher once threw his Bible to the floor and yelled at his associates, "Too many people are looking at this instead of looking at me!"
  • If you're born in capitalist America, racist America, fascist America, then you're born in sin. But if you're born in socialism, you're not born in sin.
    • Jones, Jim. "The Letter Killeth." Original material reprint. Department of Religious Studies. San Diego State
  • "Love is the only weapon." Shit! Bullshit! Martin Luther King died with love! Kennedydied talking about something he couldn't even understand, some kind of generalized love, and he never even backed it up. He was shot down. Bullshit! "Love is the only weapon with which I've got to fight." I've got a hell of a lot of weapons to fight! I've got my claws. I've got cutlasses. I've got guns. I've got dynamite. I've got a hell of a lot to fight! I'll fight! I'll fight!
    • Mass meeting in Jonestown, featured in NPR documentary Father Cares
  • Son of a bitchin’ no good lousy ass anarchistic capitalist bitch. That’s what I say about my relatives, but you won’t say it.
    • "[1]" FBI No. Q265 (17 October 1978)
  • If my wife said, I’m not going to be a communist, I’d say, well, forget it, by God, I’ll forget you too.
    • "[2]" FBI No. Q265 (17 October 1978)
  • I'd like to choose my own kind of death, for a change. I'm tired of being tormented to hell. Tired of it.
  • If we can't live in peace, then let's die in peace.
  • Take our life from us. We laid it down. We got tired. We didn't commit suicide. We committed an act of revolutionary suicide protesting the conditions of an inhumane world.
    • Last words on "Death Tape" FBI No. Q042 (18 November 1978)
Then his pride is no different than some pastors I've met, only their pride was more "subtle." It was really something to watch them stick their noses into the air and proclaim the sins of adultery, homosexuality, and backbiting as being sinful, only to not see their own sin of pride and being a respecter of persons.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jim Jones was so charismatic. Most people are stupid sheep who love sin and hate truth and are easily swept along with the tide of charisma, no matter if it's outwardly satanic or wrapped in a garb of false Christianity.
I see this with the poison Rick Warren peddles.

Reactions: Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe this is quenching and grieving the spirit? How can a man embrace his truth without it killing him?

Grieving the Holy Spirit...yes I would say it is grievous for the Holy Spirit to be rejected

Quenching the Holy Spirit....I would say is more to One who has Received the Holy Spirit, but sort of forgets they have the Holy Spirit there to guide them....and still relies more on their MIND, than the SPIRIT in their heart.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Acolyte and Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can a man embrace his truth without it killing him?

That was somewhat the point.

Jesus IS the Truth, who wants to BE OPEN with His Truth Revealed...

..most mens "Truths" are hidden...in their natural spirit, in their heart.....while the "deception" in their carnal minds do all the talking and scheming.

For a man to BE LIKE JESUS...OPEN with his truth revealed....sort of turns on the FEAR factor, of having to admit, knowing the truth in his heart, conflicted with his deception in his mind....and him having chosen the deception...full well observing the hurt and pain he causes....to people he loves, people who has given him a paycheck, people who are in awe of his appearence of success....

People are scared to admit their faults, scared of the repercussions, scared of doing what is hard, when they have enjoyed the clout while being deceptive.

Jesus' Forgiveness IS INSTANT....but People...
Ya, not so much.

God Bless,
Taken

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was somewhat the point.

Jesus IS the Truth, who wants to BE OPEN with His Truth Revealed...

..most mens "Truths" are hidden...in their natural spirit, in their heart.....while the "deception" in their carnal minds do all the talking and scheming.

For a man to BE LIKE JESUS...OPEN with his truth revealed....sort of turns on the FEAR factor, of having to admit, knowing the truth in his heart, conflicted with his deception in his mind....and him having chosen the deception...full well observing the hurt and pain he causes....to people he loves, people who has given him a paycheck, people who are in awe of his appearence of success....

People are scared to admit their faults, scared of the repercussions, scared of doing what is hard, when they have enjoyed the clout while being deceptive.

Jesus' Forgiveness IS INSTANT....but People...
Ya, not so much.

God Bless,
Taken
I agree his truth is me revealed

Reactions: Acolyte and Taken

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see this with the poison Rick Warren peddles.
Marshall Applewhite and his "Heaven's Gate" cult, Reverend Moon and his Moonies, Charles Manson and "the family", etc. - all victims of satanic deception. The largest satanic sex cult in all the world is headquartered right there in Rome, Italy.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not under the law....I'm under grace....the law is done away with, nailed to the cross....I don't have to obey....to obey God is of the flesh...working your way to heaven is the same as obeying God....the law only applies to the Jews....Gentiles weren't given the law ….

I am waiting for the day someone brave enough and stupid enough says any one or all of the above oft repeated phrases and takes such to their logical conclusion...I am not under the law therefore I am going to steal your car...and what's more I'm still going to heaven.

I've heard that called "greasy grace" or "license to sin". For the life of me, I cannot understand this kind of self delusion.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then his pride is no different than some pastors I've met, only their pride was more "subtle." It was really something to watch them stick their noses into the air and proclaim the sins of adultery, homosexuality, and backbiting as being sinful, only to not see their own sin of pride and being a respecter of persons.

Honestly I had to think a minute who Jim Jones was. Was he a famous pastor? I guess he was. Of course the name connected when the OP spoke of what Jim Jones did. The only reason I looked him up was because the constant with all cult leaders is someone at the top having their ego stroked. Which is not the love we see in Christ. Jones was not love minus truth ...but minus love and truth. “...respecter of persons” even worse when the person you are respecting on, is yourself.

2 Corinthians 10:5-7
[5] Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; [6] And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled. [7] Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even so are we Christ's.