How many ear piercings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Earrings are very personal as are handbags and purses. You can look at hundreds till you find the right ones for you.
@Pearl You're right. The preference is both very subjective but also strongly there at a personal level. At the small local church which my wife and I attend, even a majority of young men and boys that attend wear earrings, although men go in for studs rather than dangles; the point is that they themselves (and maybe their moms) have already acquired a fairly strong sense of what suits them.

Yes, your point about purses and handbags makes sense.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's ok..just be yourself..if it's not hurting anyone I see no reason why you can't wear an earring (s)
@Jennifer Indeed. :) It probably started in the late 70s when teen girls (and their moms) started receiving 2 or 3 rings in each earlobe; and so by extension it rendered against natural justice any denial of a young man or boy's wish to have even one small stud put in one ear. Re. "an earring (s)"; you're right, at first young men and boys received it in one ear, although for a very long time now it's in both ears that piercing is generally received by younger men and boys, and for them it can be totally appropriate for churchgoing.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I only have one piercing in each ear - never really wanted anymore.
@Butterfly So is it something in your family that the women only do? because men and boys do it widely now also. (Just as men formerly did tattoos almost exclusively but women do it widely now, so also women formerly got ear piercings almost exclusively but men do it widely now...just a bit of social history, I guess...)

Jennifer

Nov 22, 2019
Marksville
www.jenniferdianeaugustine.simplesite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jennifer One each side used to be the norm. So many today expect to get two done each side, which — I guess — is the new norm, right?
I only have two holes in my ear, one on each side....but I always end up losing all my earrings..hehe..I guess I'm that careless sometimes..I may get me a jewelry bag that way I can have a safe place to put them..I don't wear a lot of jewelry but I really love earrings..the small ones ..you know those saffire and white diamonds kind. If I wear jewelry..I try to wear it simple...I might go get the top one on my right pierced today..ha you just reminded me of that..if you do pierce your ears though, I think you should get one hole..it may seem more fitting for a man..you know? Like maybe get the top pierced on one side. It may look better..you could wear a small cuff earring at the top..

Last edited:
Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I only have two holes in my ear, one on each side....but I always end up losing all my earrings..hehe..I guess I'm that careless sometimes..I may get me a jewelry bag that way I can have a safe place to put them..I don't wear a lot of jewelry but I really love earrings..the small ones ..you know those saffire and white diamonds kind. If I wear jewelry..I try to wear it simple...I might go get the top one on my right pierced today..ha you just reminded me of that..if you do pierce your ears though, I think you should get one hole..it may seem more fitting for a man..you know? Like maybe get the top pierced on one side. It may look better..you could wear a small cuff earring at the top..
@Jennifer So you mean today you may go get a cartilage piercing at the top for an extra stud? It's certainly a sought after thing to do now.

I haven't worn earrings for years; and usually men do lobes; although when men get ear piercings today they usually do both earlobes, it's true that decades back men used to do one ear only, which seems to be your preference for men.

Jennifer

Nov 22, 2019
Marksville
www.jenniferdianeaugustine.simplesite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Jennifer So you mean today you may go get a cartilage piercing at the top for an extra stud? It's certainly a sought after thing to do now.

I haven't worn earrings for years; and usually men do lobes; although when men get ear piercings today they usually do both earlobes, it's true that decades back men used to do one ear only, which seems to be your preference for men.
It's not a preference cause I don't like think men should wear earrings period but if you like that, who is to stop you for being yourself? And yes I mean studs lol

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay so I've started various threads at varying levels of cerebral engagement or otherwise. I guess one topical subject would be, How many ear piercings do ppl have?

I myself don't wear earrings any more; it used to be years ago that guys would wear one on one side if at all, although the tendency for guys in recent decades is to have one in each ear, if worn at all.

And of course many women for so many years have had more than one each side.

Although there is a classic simplicity for both women and men of having one each side.

2c...

(Anyone else's 2c...?)

I know that I am late in this thread, I have One Question - Why didn't Jacob's Sons Recognize Joseph, when they went to bye grain in Egypt????????

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know that I am late in this thread, I have One Question - Why didn't Jacob's Sons Recognize Joseph, when they went to bye grain in Egypt????????
He was a boy when they last saw him and he had grown up. Also he was in a position of power which was the last thing they expected and was probably in Egyptian type dress.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was a boy when they last saw him and he had grown up. Also he was in a position of power which was the last thing they expected and was probably in Egyptian type dress.

He Looked Like An Egyptian, Eye Makeup, Shaved Head, and Yes, Egyptian Dress. My reason for this Question is, when do we stop trying to look like the rest of the World. People have the freewill to do what ever they choose to do, and so do what make's you feel good! Yet do most people truly seek in Prayer, as to what the Master would expect?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He Looked Like An Egyptian, Eye Makeup, Shaved Head, and Yes, Egyptian Dress. My reason for this Question is, when do we stop trying to look like the rest of the World. People have the freewill to do what ever they choose to do, and so do what make's you feel good! Yet do most people truly seek in Prayer, as to what the Master would expect?

Good point! :)
True, but I had never thought of it before...I just thought the same as Pat ( @Pearl ) that they hadn't seen him in years , and he'd speak like an Egyptian....and a well spoken one too , by his rank.

But you are right...he would look and sound much like a 100% Egyptian being born and raised right there.

:)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I found that out many years ago when I stopped going to a certain church where I tried so hard to 'fit in'.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Good point! :)
True, but I had never thought of it before...I just thought the same as Pat ( @Pearl ) that they hadn't seen him in years , and he'd speak like an Egyptian....and a well spoken one too , by his rank.

But you are right...he would look and sound much like a 100% Egyptian being born and raised right there.

:)
As Moses did.

Reactions: farouk and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I really love earrings..the small ones ..you know those saffire and white diamonds kind. If I wear jewelry..I try to wear it simple...
@Jennifer A pair of tiny studs can be a real classic. It's the minimalist look. Though double studs each side can be really good also; a modern classic...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If I wear jewelry..I try to wear it simple...I might go get the top one on my right pierced today..ha you just reminded me of that..if you do pierce your ears though, I think you should get one hole..
@Jennifer Some ppl think Claire's is fine to use; others would recommend a tattoo parlor which also likely has a piercing service and they use a needle usually rather than a gun. (You need to be careful in any case with the gun method if you do cartilage, right?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
it may seem more fitting for a man..you know? Like maybe get the top pierced on one side.
PS: I'm not sure whether men tend to prefer the needle method to the gun; or whether it's actually about the same for men and women, whether needle is used or gun...?