How many have ever changed their minds...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A lot of "Burger King" theology here. All about, "Have it your way" instead of what Scripture explains.

Sorry, friend.
You must be right, all others are wrong.
And this is just thing I don't want to be involved in. ;-)

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, friend.
You must be right, all others are wrong.
And this is just thing I don't want to be involved in. ;-)

I thought you didn't want to discuss things? I'm not 100% right in everything, neither are you. But, when the Bible is clear on something as it is with tongues, it sad to see people reject it over their emotions, or in your case, length of time being a Christian (since 1980).

Have you ever spoken an actual foreign human language with your gift of tongues?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(I am not planning to go into a discussion any further about speaking in tongues. Those kind of discussions on the internet lead to nothing. All it causes is division.)
But you just did.
No I did not.
I posted in regards "Does anyone change his/her mind since participating on this forum."
I did not start a discussion.
I only posted my believes, which did not change.
I disagree.
I do see this happening.
Indicates Once Saved Always Saved.
Another issue I disagree with.
Do you disagree? lol

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lol...Once Saved Always Saved is what it means. :)

I suppose the real question is: Were they ever saved?

When we are born again, then we are given a new identity, a child of the Father. Can I ever not become a child of the Father, any more than my son could cease to be my child?

I think the essence of this rests with Jesus' teaching, that many will SAY who they are, but Jesus will say, "Depart from me ye that practice lawlessness" To me, that says they never really had genuine faith nor repentance. Continuing on in sin/lawlessness demonstrates that they were never a believer from inception.

As a child of God, am I perfect?? Not according to my record. I have made such a multitude of mistakes.

For me, the proof is, to whom do I gravitate toward at the beginning of each and every day?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When we are born again, then we are given a new identity, a child of the Father. Can I ever not become a child of the Father, any more than my son could cease to be my child?

I think the essence of this rests with Jesus' teaching, that many will SAY who they are, but Jesus will say, "Depart from me ye that practice lawlessness" To me, that says they never really had genuine faith nor repentance. Continuing on in sin/lawlessness demonstrates that they were never a believer from inception.

As a child of God, am I perfect?? Not according to my record. I have made such a multitude of mistakes.

For me, the proof is, to whom do I gravitate toward at the beginning of each and every day?

Agreed. They were never saved to begin with. They were a seedling that fell on bad soil and got choked out or withered seeing the world as more enticing. And, at this time, the world, to this generation is very enticing indeed!

Reactions: Stan B and LC627

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The reason you do not get as much "food"is most here do not study scripture, but instead compare feelings, emotions, and carnal dreams, and odd testimonies, instead of scripture.
if verses are attempted, it is only as an add on to attempt to justify the supposed being "led" by the Spirit.

I had a dream about the food here once, it was ramen noodles and ice cream for some.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 6:39 - And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

It's impossible for man to save himself, it's even more crazy to believe that one can maintain that impossible condition.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia

How about Stephen & Paul ?
Stephen said "Don't lay those sin to his prosecutors", did he go to hell because still sinning in the day he died ?

Acts 7:59-60
59. They continued to stone Stephen while he prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!”
60. Then he fell to his knees and cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them!” When he had said this, he died.

But scriptures said :

Acts 7:55-56
55. But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
56. and said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God.

Also Paul was struggle with the devil :

2 Corinthians 12:7-8
7. And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

But scripture said :

1 Corinthians 9:26-27
26. I therefore so run, as not uncertainly; so fight I, as not beating the air:
27. but I buffet my body, and bring it into bondage: lest by any means, after that I have preached to others, I myself should be rejected.

Acts 9:13-17
13. Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:
14. And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.
15. But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16. For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.
17. And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Does Paul had been delivered unto Satan because many Jews forbid him to receive salvation because he killed Stephen ?
Or
Was there some scribes that snared him with the devil because he was not fulfilled with these following requirement ?

1 Timothy 3:1-7
1. Faithful is the saying, If a man seeketh the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2. The bishop therefore must be without reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, orderly, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3. no brawler, no striker; but gentle, not contentious, no lover of money;
4. one that ruleth well his own house, having [his] children in subjection with all gravity;
5. (but if a man knoweth not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6. not a novice, lest being puffed up he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7. Moreover he must have good testimony from them that are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Because the world view is different from Jesus.

Mark 2:16-17
16. And the scribes of the Pharisees, when they saw that he was eating with the sinners and publicans, said unto his disciples, [How is it] that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners?
17. And when Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of a physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How much clarity do you find you get from studying the original languages?

Mountains. But the thing is, most who "study" languages just look at a Greek word or two, search through various nuances of the word, and then expound on it's "potential" meanings in giving a teaching. This only muddies the water more than clarifying things. In real study, what you want to arrive at is the EXACT meaning implied, given the context of the passage, the book, the entire NT, and the entire Bible. And this involves doing heavy-duty work, especially when you have several different words in a passage that could be translated and interpreted several different ways. It becomes a lot like jugging 10-12 things in your head all at once keeping all the options together and weighing them against each other. But eventually the Lord will start eliminating them one by one, until you are left with only one or two strong directions to go in. Then it is just a matter of giving yourself to prayer a few more times before the truth finally comes out.

But none of it is without the help of the Holy Spirit. You can't understand a book with true accuracy unless you get it together to go straight to the Author, and that too takes a lot more work than simply picking up a few commentaries or reading some web articles to mimic what other people have said.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mountains. But the thing is, most who "study" languages just look at a Greek word or two, search through various nuances of the word, and then expound on it's "potential" meanings in giving a teaching. This only muddies the water more than clarifying things. In real study, what you want to arrive at is the EXACT meaning implied, given the context of the passage, the book, the entire NT, and the entire Bible. And this involves doing heavy-duty work, especially when you have several different words in a passage that could be translated and interpreted several different ways. It becomes a lot like jugging 10-12 things in your head all at once keeping all the options together and weighing them against each other. But eventually the Lord will start eliminating them one by one, until you are left with only one or two strong directions to go in. Then it is just a matter of giving yourself to prayer a few more times before the truth finally comes out.

But none of it is without the help of the Holy Spirit. You can't understand a book with true accuracy unless you get it together to go straight to the Author, and that too takes a lot more work than simply picking up a few commentaries or reading some web articles to mimic what other people have said.
I've been cursed with an above-average IQ, but I don't possess the faculties to manage the "juggling" you're talking about.

Well, it certainly is a legitimate aspect of hermeneutics.

In light of this context, how do you really feel about the old maxim:

"The Bible was written for the common man."

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In light of this context, how do you really feel about the old maxim:

"The Bible was written for the common man."

Wow is that a good question. Yes, it is written for the common man. Absolutely it is. But now, that being said, it is the responsibility of those called to teach to make it accurately understandable. It is similar to translators. Without them we wouldn't have the word at all, so there is a dependence upon the more scholarly already built into the system. Accurate translation and interpretation is a step graduated from this. And it is supposed to start with Academia, filter through pastoral leadership, and then make it's way into the pews. Unfortunately academia is not what is supposed to be, though most outside those circles don't know it, so few know where the confusion is really being generated to begin with.

But yes, the common man, in spite of all these things, can still come away with much greater and more accurate knowledge of the scriptures than many scholars if he seeks the Holy Spirit in prayer for it incessantly. Even without any knowledge of the languages. And if you want to know the truth, the greatest and most accurate theology you will find today is usually found amongst the prophets. The reason is because they are hearing the direct utterances of the Spirit, and with that it leads them into accurate interpretations of scripture as well.

That last part may be more than you were expecting, but I'm simply telling you what I have observed over the years. Few impress me theologically, but I will hear things come out of the mouths of the prophets that astonish me because they are seeing things from scripture that few do.

Anyway, maybe I opened my mouth too wide on that one, but just sharing.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow is that a good question. Yes, it is written for the common man. Absolutely it is. But now, that being said, it is the responsibility of those called to teach to make it accurately understandable. It is similar to translators. Without them we wouldn't have the word at all, so there is a dependence upon the more scholarly already built into the system. Accurate translation and interpretation is a step graduated from this. And it is supposed to start with Academia, filter through pastoral leadership, and then make it's way into the pews. Unfortunately academia is not what is supposed to be, though most outside those circles don't know it, so few know where the confusion is really being generated to begin with.

But yes, the common man, in spite of all these things, can still come away with much greater and more accurate knowledge of the scriptures than many scholars if he seeks the Holy Spirit in prayer for it incessantly. Even without any knowledge of the languages. And if you want to know the truth, the greatest and most accurate theology you will find today is usually found amongst the prophets. The reason is because they are hearing the direct utterances of the Spirit, and with that it leads them into accurate interpretations of scripture as well.

That last part may be more than you were expecting, but I'm simply telling you what I have observed over the years. Few impress me theologically, but I will hear things come out of the mouths of the prophets that astonish me because they are seeing things from scripture that few do.

Well, I asked how you really feel and you delivered.
Wonderful post and the part about prophets is very insightful.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are you referring to modern-day prophets? If so, who are these prophets? And why would anyone not study and search the Scriptures but simply trust the word of a other person as having all the insight as a "prophet"?

We have the full revelation of the Word of God. Scripture is the final authority and teaches us all things (2 Tim. 3:16-17).

"If private revelations agree with Scripture, they are needless; and if they disagree, they are false" John Owen

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony D'Arienzo

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you referring to modern-day prophets? If so, who are these prophets? And why would anyone not study and search the Scriptures but simply trust the word of a other person as having all the insight as a "prophet"?

We have the full revelation of the Word of God. Scripture is the final authority and teaches us all things (2 Tim. 3:16-17).

"If private revelations agree with Scripture, they are needless; and if they disagree, they are false" John Owen
Everyone on CB, claims to "move"...in the gifts..prophets,visions,direct speaking with angels,and God himself
No need to be concerned with scripture LC627...they have no need to be instructed, lol...the anointing teaches them,1jn2

Reactions: LC627

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone on CB, claims to "move"...in the gifts..prophets,visions,direct speaking with angels,and God himself
No need to be concerned with scripture LC627...they have no need to be instructed, lol...the anointing teaches them,1jn2

Yeah, it seems like that! Lol. Seems like nowadays all you have to say is, "Well, God told me..." and the people clap in acceptance without any regard to the Scripture.

On Monday, I created a thread titled, "Why do faith healers avoid hospitals and funeral homes" and not one reply. Surprising since we have all these believers here having gifts of apostles. When questioned, you won't receive an answer. Everything is always, "you lack faith". When in reality they're the ones lacking faith because I'm willing to bet no one here has raised someone from the dead or walks in the gifts as the apostles did.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod