How much ungodly behavior do you see in the church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Clears the Temple Courts
13 When it was almost time for the Jewish Passover, Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple courts he found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. 15 So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables.

Because they were taking advantage of widows. Robbing people.

1 Peter 2:16-23
[16] As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. [17] Honour all men . Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king. [18] Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. [19] For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. [20] For what glory is it , if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it , ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. [21] For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: [22] Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: [23] Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:

Reactions: amadeus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because they were taking advantage of widows. Robbing people.

1 Peter 2:16-23
[16] As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. [17] Honour all men . Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king. [18] Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. [19] For this is thankworthy, if a man for conscience toward God endure grief, suffering wrongfully. [20] For what glory is it , if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it , ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God. [21] For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: [22] Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: [23] Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
Verse 23 is the same things Paul through the Holy Spirit is abiding in in Corinthians. Forgive me he’s abiding in all these spiritual works

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? Then why did he go into the temple and overturn tables and beat all those people with a stick?

Why did he call the Pharisees names?
Perhaps I need to be corrected or I need to clarify that Jesus with his knowledge way beyond our knowledge knew precisely the mind of God with regard to those who were missing the mark. God can rebuke without hesitation or deliberation any time because He always knows. We can rebuke any time that we know what God knows.

Then again the temple where Jesus turned over the tables was a special place which does not exist today as it did then. Now the temple is you or me. If with God's help we have come to know ourselves we certainly can rebuke ourselves within our temple. Jesus had legitimate business in that temple, His Father's business. In your temple I have no business at all uninvited... nor you in mine. Who extends the invitation?

Reactions: bbyrd009

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[QUOTE

yes my family.. we tried to bring in others but they insisted on praying in repetition.
What do you mean 'praying in repetition' - you mean the praying that Christ spoke against "they think they'll be heard by their many prayers"?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean 'praying in repetition' - you mean the praying that Christ spoke against "they think they'll be heard by their many prayers"?
Matthew 6:7 KJV
[7] But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do : for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Tecarta Bible

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly; praying by rote is not enough. It's as if the person wants to gain merit by the weight of words.
Praying following a plan seems to have merit in the Deliverance ministry, where people denounce any sins, any contracts with evil, etc. - that's the only place that I can see where it could be used.

One of the reasons I left the Catholic church was due to the meaningless repetition - I got absolutely nothing out of it.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was good. But, I saw no real path given.
I know - that frustrated me about the movie; I'm glad you saw the same thing as I did. It moved my heart, and I see the danger, but there was no culmination; no direction given as to what a person could do. For anyone who is patriotic, it's disturbing to see the evil plans for our country - and other countries as well.

After watching it I did begin looking for an organization to join. I found the following list of groups to join, and I emailed 'American Policy Center' to ask how to get involved. I also sent the movie to our local Senator, for what good it will do.

These movie makers should realize that they stir people with a powerful and well-done message, but should end the movie with a plan of action for people. I'm going to see if there is some way to contact them and tell them this.

I'm very concerned about what is coming. I can't shake the feeling that something is afoot. I think possibly a 3rd world war.

Reactions: Willie T

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm glad others have seen this. What did you see - partiality? Do you think this is the reason the church lacks power?
Not being cynical, but what church are you talking about?

Quite frankly, a church might call itself a church but is it?

I judged a church by what it does and sadly most do not do anything other than that which they have been doing for yonks and in most cases is a complete failure. I asked to address the ministers fraternal in my town to get them to unite in evangelistic endeavor. They were rather cynical so I asked them how many people had been saved in the last year. A quick count indicated that three people had been saved amongst all of them.

In the end, they told me to go away because I was not an ordained minister (by man). If their ordination could only muster three converts in a year, I am so glad I am not ordained by man.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not being cynical, but what church are you talking about?

Quite frankly, a church might call itself a church but is it?

I judged a church by what it does and sadly most do not do anything other than that which they have been doing for yonks and in most cases is a complete failure. I asked to address the ministers fraternal in my town to get them to unite in evangelistic endeavor. They were rather cynical so I asked them how many people had been saved in the last year. A quick count indicated that three people had been saved amongst all of them.

In the end, they told me to go away because I was not an ordained minister (by man). If their ordination could only muster three converts in a year, I am so glad I am not ordained by man.
The church as a whole.

That's interesting. Only three converts is pretty bad. Do you evangelize? I don't talk to people usually but I leave tracts around.

Maybe you can call yourself a professional-sounding name, incorporate into an LLC and tell pastors that you're the CEO of an organization that works to bring denominations together to work on the issues facing the church, the town, and the nation. If you go to them using this mantle, they might take you more seriously. But from what I could see in multiple churches, there is a root of pride in a number of pastors. We've met a few who were humble; not many. But even the prideful ones may see you as a professional, if you present yourself that way, and not some Joe who comes in off the street trying to tell them what to do.