How Should We Read the Church Fathers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But anybody who disagrees with you and your interpretation of scripture is automatically wrong, and therefore needs to be your disciple?

Are you claiming to be God?
And you keep projecting things I have not said. You are correct in one thing, you are right that I will not change my positions unless shown to be wrong by Scripture. And yes, that has happened in the past and I changed my position.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you keep projecting things I have not said. You are correct in one thing, you are right that I will not change my positions unless shown to be wrong by Scripture. And yes, that has happened in the past and I changed my position.
Here's my thing:

I know many people who like to sit on God's throne. They view their beliefs as infallible. Everyone should follow them and their interpretation of scripture. Everyone who as a different interpretation-- no matter how well "Steve" studied and prayed and communed with the Lord about it-- is automatically wrong. And then they treat Steve downright horribly trying to convince Steve to follow them instead of what Steve prayed and studied with the Lord.

I see this over and over again. From folks in all belief systems, walks of life, etc.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's my thing:

I know many people who like to sit on God's throne. They view their beliefs as infallible. Everyone should follow them and their interpretation of scripture. Everyone who as a different interpretation-- no matter how well "Steve" studied and prayed and communed with the Lord about it-- is automatically wrong. And then they treat Steve downright horribly trying to convince Steve to follow them instead of what Steve prayed and studied with the Lord.

I see this over and over again. From folks in all belief systems, walks of life, etc.
Steve would have to be able to show that is what the verse means.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then we once again devolve into "my interpretation is right and yours is wrong" ping pong matches.

Rather than letting God speak to each person. It is His throne, no one else's.
God is not going to tell two different people two different things about His word. There is only one interpretation, many applications, but only one interpretation.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is not going to tell two different people two different things about His word. There is only one interpretation, many applications, but only one interpretation.
And GOD shall reveal that to each person.

Not some idiot sinner trying to win an argument (we are all idiot sinners).

It is HIS throne. Not yours or mine or any other mortals.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then when is it appropriate, by your standards, to rebuke false teaching (which Scripture commands)?
Preach Truth. Speak goodness. Conduct yourself in a manner as He would and let His light shine through you.

Skip the arguing/squabbling/bullying/harassment.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't answer the question. When is it appropriate to rebuke false teaching/teachers as we are commanded to do in Scripture?
There is no command to bully those that disagree with us. Nor harass or bicker.

Rather the command is to testify of Truthfulness, and walk as His disciple.

A person does not need to chase down darkness. Rather, just show His light.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They thought that the kingdom was going to come in power...that Jesus would return shortly.

But the point is that we each have to have that idea in our own time. They can't make it easier for us. And you are missing the truth that it was the reformation that brought the doctrines of men into the picture...in these end times.
The doctrine of devils is right now! Just look at how the reformation is seen as something good.
The reformation only brought back fragments of truth over centuries. The church is still trying to claw its way out of it. Anti baptism and tithing are just 2 of the many examples of this

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we read our printed Bibles, are we not trusting that God guided the efforts of those who transcribed and translated what was first written by down as men were anointed to write. Many, like myself, don't read Hebrew or Aramaic or Koine Greek so who are we trusting when we read a Bible written in English? God alone? What of the translators? What about learning from Teachers, Evangelists and Pastors today who use the same Bibles we read? Yes we do and should sift through their input by the Holy Spirit, and do we never glean anything that we retain?

What about learning from other people on this forum? We today are also "some fella" who write when we post something to this thread on this forum. Does no one here ever write anything worth reading? If not, why are we here?
Just trust your English translation called the KJV. God set us up in these last days. Celebrate it

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's how things ultimately boil down in regards to the ECF and other teachers:
- Nobody is an island. You are going to be influenced by teachers and the teacher's teachers, etc.
- You can either ignore or acknowledge this, and study that legacy to whatever depth.
- Ideally though your ultimate teacher is the Lord Himself, guiding you directly and helping you discern which teaching are His Truth.

We can squabble all day long on which teachers each person believes is correct. And profit zero for it. the Lord alone is the Master Teacher, and we all best remember to listen to He alone that sits in that Throne.

Yep, that is why I attend church but don't belong to a particular denomination.

Reactions: amadeus

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say bully, I didn't say harass, and I didn't say bicker. I said rebuke.

You are avoiding this issue for some reason.
You seem to be using "rebuke" as if it was to harass or bully or argue.

A disciple of Christ has no need to get in somebody's face and say "you're wrong!". No need for spreading hate-spam or other junk I see people do in the name of "rebuking".

No.

Just speak Truth & light with your actions and when necessary words.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Though a discussion on what should be included would be involved and possibly rewarding and interesting (if all the noise were filtered out), I agree with you here... But then this goes to point for me. I don't need anyone telling me what is inspired and what is not anyway. When I was a younger Christian, certainly it helped knowing what writings were beyond doubt. But after spending years of studying those, I can now recognize what writings harmonize with the cannon or amplify on it in a way that expounds on it without contradicting it, and receive the witness of the Spirit within me.

But this is clearly an issue where, as Jesus taught, "Wisdom is deemed right by her children."

I agree with you and I also can see one that does harmonize and amplify the Word of God with no contradictions.