How Should We Read the Church Fathers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be using "rebuke" as if it was to harass or bully or argue.

A disciple of Christ has no need to get in somebody's face and say "you're wrong!". No need for spreading hate-spam or other junk I see people do in the name of "rebuking".

No.

Just speak Truth & light with your actions and when necessary words.
Do you know what the word rebuke means?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve never read anything of ECF, and from reading all the confusion of the posts in this thread...... I’m glad.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, I don't bully anyone, I do rebuke people. Those words are not synonyms. You apparently do not understand the difference.
I am not going to comment on you as a person.

I'm speaking methods here. We just shine His light, loving all. Even those that disagree with us. Not spreading hate-spam, getting in others faces, being jerks, trampling on others, etc.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s not what I’m implying at all, what I’m saying is this.
Let’s say I’m a scholar I mean one of those young pup kinda smart asses that thinks I can walk on water, and I need to prove to myself that the degree I have hanging on my wall is worth all the money mommy and Daddy spent to elevate me to scholar/philosopher status.
Now I take my degree in my hand and I proceedto tell everyone how the water parted, but no one receives what I’m saying. What scripture do you believe could give insight as too what the problem is?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The reformation only brought back fragments of truth over centuries. The church is still trying to claw its way out of it. Anti baptism and tithing are just 2 of the many examples of this

The problem is not with giving or getting wet...the problem is with a lethargic body that lives for it's own pleasure. There is a lack of life and vitality in the Western churches. The world is overcoming the church whereas the church should be overcoming the world.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is not with giving or getting wet...the problem is with a lethargic body that lives for it's own pleasure. There is a lack of life and vitality in the Western churches. The world is overcoming the church whereas the church should be overcoming the world.
I believe Scripture actually teaches there will be a great falling away as we get closer to the end. That's not to say it is an excuse for the lack of vitality in the church, that is a problem, but the church, in this age, will not overcome the World in the sense that things will get better. That won't happen until Christ's return.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just trust your English translation called the KJV. God set us up in these last days. Celebrate it
My primary English translation is the KJV, but there a lot of people who read that Bible who disagree with you and disagree with me on points of scripture... so the Bible alone will not resolve people's differences if they need to be resolved.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My primary English translation is the KJV, but there a lot of people who read that Bible who disagree with you and disagree with me on points of scripture... so the Bible alone will not resolve people's differences if they need to be resolved.
To the Bible lovers, they can line up with the Bible to change views and resolve differences.

The rest will never agree with the Bible and each other.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree. False doctrine is the problem. You name it, they teach it. Especially denominations. They cannot reform, fearing a mass exodus of folks realizing they had been duped.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How Should We Read the Church Fathers?

As elders of the Church.

Hello David,

Simply put, to be Protestant means you leave the man-made teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and look towards Scripture as your authority for faith and practice.

And yet, if you read the fathers, you will find the orthodox and catholic Faith.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I read the NKJV, but I found the Living Bible to be a great help. It was so clear, and when I came to something that I had never heard, I would compare it with the NKJV and find it absolutely compatible, only clearer than the NKJV. I know when I stopped listening to man, and read only the Bible in context, my doctrine now is different than any denomination I know of. No wonder denominations fight each other, and all of them fight me. LOL

Read the NT through, and when you come to the next book, read it through in one sitting so you get the whole context. For instance, the first 8 chapters of Romans is all on the law, and introducing us to not being under the law, but the Spirit at the conclusion. The rest of Romans could be a book in itself.

Reactions: amadeus

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read the NKJV, but I found the Living Bible to be a great help. It was so clear, and when I came to something that I had never heard, I would compare it with the NKJV and find it absolutely compatible, only clearer than the NKJV. I know when I stopped listening to man, and read only the Bible in context, my doctrine now is different than any denomination I know of. No wonder denominations fight each other, and all of them fight me. LOL

Read the NT through, and when you come to the next book, read it through in one sitting so you get the whole context. For instance, the first 8 chapters of Romans is all on the law, and introducing us to not being under the law, but the Spirit at the conclusion. The rest of Romans could be a book in itself.
Just a caution on the LB, it is a paraphrase, not a translation. So basically it is nothing but a commentary.