How to deal with online atheist arguments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Solomon had advised us to avoid arguing with fools.
That would be my argument as well, we are to preach and if we are not accepted to shake the dust off our sandals and move on:

Matthew 10:14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.

Reactions: amadeus and DeHare

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would be my argument as well, we are to preach and if we are not accepted to shake the dust off our sandals and move on:

Matthew 10:14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.
And yet we entertain,post to,over and over,atheists who join our forums.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet we entertain,post to,over and over,atheists who join our forums.
I tend to stay away from them unless they are interested in Christianity. If they are here to be obnoxious then I ignore them. Also I have used a lot of ignore on members that are blasphemous or attack people, trollers too.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ist thing is for ministers and youth leaders to train, not teach, their church to defend their faith.
That means actually teaching them what Christianity is and to expose them to the arguments used by atheists and how to answer them.

Coldcasechristia ity is a good place to start with.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nancy

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they are not interested or openly hostile towards Christianity then I'm not going to waste the time. But some things that convinced me are:

If the big bang happened, and God doesn't exist, how did all of that material come from nothing?

How did life come from non-life? Were complex structures like DNA just put togther randomly by chance?

Another thing to think about is the fact that Jesus and His apostles are proven historical people and His apostles died horrible deaths for what they witnessed first hand. If Jesus' miracles weren't real, then He and the apostles just made them up and stood by their accounts even when being murdered in these horrible ways? (Except John who could have died of old age and Judas Iscariot who hung himself)

Like I said though, if someone isn't interested in Christianity I'm not going to get into a shouting match.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

Saint of Light

Aug 22, 2023
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the Christian Post January 25,2024.

The answer is you don’t. Arguing with them is pointless because many atheists mistake their skepticism for wisdom, and they feel like they’re on a quest to enlighten humanity with their doubts. Their hearts are set on disbelief because they are in love with their sins, resisting the Holy Spirit’s counsel tooth and nail. Even if God appeared to an atheist, smacked him square on the face, and announced, “Hey, I’m God!” the atheist still wouldn’t believe.

Don’t waste your time with these people.

Reactions: Chains Broken

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer is you don’t. Arguing with them is pointless because many atheists mistake their skepticism for wisdom, and they feel like they’re on a quest to enlighten humanity with their doubts. Their hearts are set on disbelief because they are in love with their sins, resisting the Holy Spirit’s counsel tooth and nail. Even if God appeared to an atheist, smacked him square on the face, and announced, “Hey, I’m God!” the atheist still wouldn’t believe.

Don’t waste your time with these people.
I disagree completely. I have brought many atheists to Jesus. After all, before I came to Jesus, I lived in unbelief and skepticism. Paul said; "I have become all things to all men that by all means, I might save some". Wherever there is darkness brother, there is the opportunity to turn on the light. The atheist loves the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Just speak softly and offer them the fruit of the holy spirit from the tree of life, and behold!

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree completely. I have brought many atheists to Jesus. After all, before I came to Jesus, I lived in unbelief and skepticism. Paul said; "I have become all things to all men that by all means, I might save some". Wherever there is darkness brother, there is the opportunity to turn on the light. The atheist loves the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Just speak softly and offer them the fruit of the holy spirit from the tree of life, and behold!
I'm interested about the atheists whom you talked about Jesus with and what their views were beforehand. We they very against Christianity, or just indifferent to it before speaking with you? And what did you tell them?

I agree with both of you, I don't think it's worth arguing with an atheist on the internet if they just want to show how much they hate Christianity and will never change their mind, but if they are interested and open to it it's a great opportunity to teach and learn more, and hopefully spread the good news.

Last edited:

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We might wish to check our pride here.

We don't bring anyone to Christ.

We can speak about Jesus,witness,etc... However,unless God changes the natural man,woman,to understand the things of God,that person remains an unbeliever,for whom the things of God are thought foolishness.

Reactions: Chains Broken

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We might wish to check our pride here.

We don't bring anyone to Christ.

We can speak about Jesus,witness,etc... However,unless God changes the natural man,woman,to understand the things of God,that person remains an unbeliever,for whom the things of God are thought foolishness.
You're right, I shouldn't have phrased it that way.

• Love
Reactions: BlessedPeace

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm interested about the atheists whom you brought to Jesus and what their views were beforehand. We they very against Christianity, or just indifferent to it before speaking with you? And what did you tell them to bring them to Jesus?

I agree with both of you, I don't think it's worth arguing with an atheist on the internet if they just want to show how much they hate Christianity and will never change their mind, but if they are interested and open to it it's a great opportunity to teach and learn more, and hopefully bring someone closer to God.
I'd have to write a book to answer your questions. But here are some keys I developed through prayer.
1. Ask an atheist this question: How did the Universe come about? Don't change one word of this question. Ask it that way.
2. If they answer "I don't know", then they are no longer an Atheist, they are agnostic. This will shock them.
3. If they answer "Nothing created the Universe", then they are creationists not atheists. Because "NOTHING" is now the creator with a name.
4. If they answer "The purple people eater created it", then they are creationists with a creator that has a name.

In other words, atheists have absolutley no answer to this question that justifies atheism, therefore, there is no athiest, and due to their ignorance not realizing they are in rebellion against God, and therefore their rebellion proves their belief in God, because if there was no God, there would be no atheist and judgment would not await them, God will remind them they knew God and rejected Him.

Atheists do not believe in absolute faith, yet it takes faith to not believe in God "ABSOLUTELY", or, blindly.
The Atheist does not believe in an everlasting place and believes all life comes from nothing, including themselves.

The Atheist is a "Nothing going Nowhere". This also shocks them.

How you use these keys to the benifit of Salvation is up to the wisdom God has given you. Don't try this unless you are equiped with Gods wisdom and have put on the full armor of God.

Be blessed

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd have to write a book to answer your questions. But here are some keys I developed through prayer.
1. Ask an atheist this question: How did the Universe come about? Don't change one word of this question. Ask it that way.
2. If they answer "I don't know", then they are no longer an Atheist, they are agnostic. This will shock them.
3. If they answer "Nothing created the Universe", then they are creationists not atheists. Because "NOTHING" is now the creator with a name.
4. If they answer "The purple people eater created it", then they are creationists with a creator that has a name.
Thank you for this, I assume the same thing applies to the question "where did the first living thing come from?"

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Respectfully, may I push back a bit?

2. An "I don't know" answer is consistent with atheism (because it could be coupled with "I don't know, but NOT by a Supreme Being you call God; my lack of knowledge does not imply any possibility you care to name").

3. A "Nothing created the Universe" answer does not make them creationists, because it is consistent with the Universe being uncreated (something we theists ascribe to God, after all).

Reactions: BarneyFife