How To Get To Heaven When You Die

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Well, I'm not sure what I believe about a rapture.
I honestly don't see any more than one resurrection in scripture.
Did I miss something, d'ya think?

Rev 20 speaks of a first resurrection and then says the rest of the dead "lived not" until another time so they are resurrected at a different time then the others.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
I'm curious.
What is a "Christadelphian"?
That's one I don't think I've ever heard of before...

Seems to be more popular in other countries, a lot in Australia. I don't know all their beliefs but they believe in soul sleep.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
ewq1938 said:
Keep the Sabbath?
I keep the Sabbath.
In my house, the Sabbath is a family day. There are no chores, no "honey-do" lists...no one is called upon to do any unecessary work of any kind...although if someone feels like it might be fun to bake a batch of cookies, or make a pot of chili, or sit quietly on the porch and crochet...all of these are allowed, but not required.
I cook extra during the week, so I almost always have something in the freezer that can be quickly heated up for a meal, or sometimes someone gets an urge to bar-be-que...again, not required, but not discouraged, either. As long as these activities are restful, they are all good.
Me, I like to read, I also like to write...so you might find me stretched out with a good book, or happily occupied with my laptop, creating a new story or poem. You might find me in the yard with my little shih tzu, throwing a ball for him...he lives to chase a ball. Or, if it is a warm day, I might be splashing around in our little above ground pool.
Now, before you criticize our family Sabbaths, remember, Jesus did mention that it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. It is not unlawful then, to fire up the mikey and heat up some frozen chili...for instance...

Gee...I wonder if I have any chili in the freezer?
I'm getting kinda hungry...

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
I keep the Sabbath.
In my house, the Sabbath is a family day. There are no chores, no "honey-do" lists...no one is called upon to do any unecessary work of any kind...although if someone feels like it might be fun to bake a batch of cookies, or make a pot of chili, or sit quietly on the porch and crochet...all of these are allowed, but not required.
I cook extra during the week, so I almost always have something in the freezer that can be quickly heated up for a meal, or sometimes someone gets an urge to bar-be-que...again, not required, but not discouraged, either. As long as these activities are restful, they are all good.
Me, I like to read, I also like to write...so you might find me stretched out with a good book, or happily occupied with my laptop, creating a new story or poem. You might find me in the yard with my little shih tzu, throwing a ball for him...he lives to chase a ball. Or, if it is a warm day, I might be splashing around in our little above ground pool.
Now, before you criticize our family Sabbaths, remember, Jesus did mention that it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath. It is not unlawful then, to fire up the mikey and heat up some frozen chili...for instance...

Personally I don't care how someone does it but there are rules attached to the OT Sabbath and cooking at all is forbidden. You weren't allowed any heat either nor traveling so it's a lot different than a lot of people think it is.

The Sabbath, while a rest from normal daily work, was not an easy or comfortable day.

You weren't allowed to cook anything so forget a hot meal. Exodus 35:3

You weren't even allowed to prepare anything so you had better made sure everything was done the day before or you weren't going to eat or eat very well. Exodus 16:22

Cold day or night? Forget having or making a fire! Dark? No fire means no light! Exodus 35:3

Don't even gather sticks for a fire or any other purpose or you might get killed!! Numbers 15:36

Want to spend your "day off" having fun like going horseback riding? No way! You have to stay home! Exodus 16:29

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Believing that we float around as ghosts in the third heaven is hollywood.

How is that related to the Sabbath?

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
You and your false doctrine. lol. You have no argument.

You are the one who holds a false doctrine condemned by traditional Christianity. Soul sleep is not a Christian doctrine and not taught in Christian churches. It is only taught in fringe churches or what some consider cults. I prefer to refer to them as fringe churches personally.

You haven't found any false doctrines in my beliefs.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
ewq1938 said:
You are the one who holds a false doctrine condemned by traditional Christianity. Soul sleep is not a Christian doctrine and not taught in Christian churches. It is only taught in fringe churches or what some consider cults. I prefer to refer to them as fringe churches personally.

I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation in regards to the breath of life. None. You deny the Word of God.

Job 34:14-15 NIV If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, 15all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation in regards to the breath of life. None. You deny the Word of God.

Job 34:14-15 NIV If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, 15all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.

The breath of life doesn't affect this issue at all. The breath of life is only related to what makes the body alive. When we die, it is no longer needed. I'm done with your false accusations and unChristian doctrines and negative attitude.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
ewq1938 said:
The breath of life doesn't affect this issue at all. The breath of life is only related to what makes the body alive. When we die, it is no longer needed. I'm done with your false accusations and unChristian doctrines and negative attitude.
Also, God created man FIRST, not the spirit. God formed man from the dust FIRST. The soul, spirit and body cannot exist without each other.

Gen 2:7 NIV Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
ewq1938 said:

Something being condemned by modern Christianity doesn't mean anything as modern Christianity teaches errors. Modern churches are full of false doctrines, so they are not a reliable source of what is Christian.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Butch5 said:
Something being condemned by modern Christianity doesn't mean anything as modern Christianity teaches errors. Modern churches are full of false doctrines, so they are not a reliable source of what is Christian.
Of course but the issue currently is soul sleep. Do you believe in that?

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
ewq1938 said:
Of course but the issue currently is soul sleep. Do you believe in that?
You have to define what you mean by that term. It means different things depending on who you're speaking with.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Butch5 said:
You have to define what you mean by that term. It means different things depending on who you're speaking with.

It means when a person dies they are sleeping and not alert after death until they are resurrected.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ewq1938 said:
Personally I don't care how someone does it but there are rules attached to the OT Sabbath and cooking at all is forbidden. You weren't allowed any heat either nor traveling so it's a lot different than a lot of people think it is.
You mean there WERE rules attached. That was the Old Covenant. If you will recall, we are no longer under that covenant.
It's a new day, and we have freedom in Christ.
it WAS different, back in the days of Moses. There were all kinds of pesky rules attached to it. But those rules don't apply any more.

Why is that?
Simple. You see, we have a new High Priest now...and He has declared Himself to be the Lord of the Sabbath. He says it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath...so yes, we can cook, and we can use heat, we can go for a drive...what we cannot do is to have anyone else work for us. We try to avoid anything that would mean that someone else must work for us. Thus, we do not go to a restaurant, because we would be paying someone else to cook and serve our meal.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
The Sabbath, while a rest from normal daily work, was not an easy or comfortable day.

You weren't allowed to cook anything so forget a hot meal. Exodus 35:3

You weren't even allowed to prepare anything so you had better made sure everything was done the day before or you weren't going to eat or eat very well. Exodus 16:22

Cold day or night? Forget having or making a fire! Dark? No fire means no light! Exodus 35:3

Don't even gather sticks for a fire or any other purpose or you might get killed!! Numbers 15:36

Want to spend your "day off" having fun like going horseback riding? No way! You have to stay home! Exodus 16:29

Once again...this was the OLD COVENANT.
Why are you trying to put me back under these rules and regulations, when Jesus has set me free from all that?
Who is going to kill me, if I should go gathering sticks?
At the risk of sounding like my grandkids...this is the 21st Century.
In case no one told you...we are under a Covenant of Grace now.
So, yeah...I can go horseback riding. However, I'm kinda out of shape for that these days.
I'd prefer to spend the afternoon in the pool...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
I'm hearing both sides of this "soul sleep" argument...and, from a neutral perspective, since I don't even pretend to know what happens after death, (but I'm pretty sure God has it under control and I trust Him), something is missing.
And it is missing on both sides.
You guys are so bound and determined to be right, that you have forgotten Jesus' command to His disciples.

I leave you to think about it.