How to keep strong in walk and what hints to keep your self going.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
I been a christian my whole life but seem like every time I keep trying to get in more. Something always seem to keep getting in my way. I am starting to think God might not be real.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
things will always get in your way because the 'whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one' as 1John 5:19 says.

the easiest way to be a christian, i believe, is to detach yourself from the world and things in the world. The reason is as it says at 1John 2:15 Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever

focus on the life ahead that God is promising, and the things of this world become meaningless. This will protect you from temptation because things are only a temptation if we have a desire for them. If you hate lemons, you wont be tempted to eat one if it is placed before you...likewise, if you learn to hate the things of the world, you wont be tempted to run after them when they are placed before you.

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
How does one started stopping desire because I been shown may thing but seem like nothing work. I do has some desires I would love be gone right now.

The is a friend I was wearing because I am fan of the Pahatan of Opera

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
How does one started stopping desire because I been shown may thing but seem like nothing work. I do has some desires I would love be gone right now.

The is a friend I was wearing because I am fan of the Pahatan of Opera

desires develop like plants....they start small, and as they are fed/watered, they grow larger. To stop desires from growing you have to literally starve them of their water source.

That may seem hard at first because the desire will push you to go to the water source... but if you fight it hard enough and if you learn to dislike the thing you desire, then with Gods help, you can overcome it.

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
OK, let pick smoking for now. I do have other but I rather keep that between someone I trust and me. How would do with smoking? I have try to cold turkey it but I just turn out to be a jerk. I been trying to cut down but doesn't seem I am really cutting down. If I go out smoking for 2 to 3 hours. I get this very bad head ach that doesn't go away unless I smoke.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
i was a smoke for many years and quit, so i can speak from experience on this one.

to quit smoking, you need to understand why you do it. smokers are not only addicted to the nicotine, but they have formed a 'habit' of smoking and that habit can be just as powerful as nicotine to break.

So in order to break any habit, you need to develop a new and different habit to take its place. One new habit might be chewing gum...rather then put a smoke in your mouth, try a piece of gum instead.

You also need to have good reasons to quit, and you need to focus on the benefits of quitting. Some benefits are you will save a lot of money, your health will improve, your self esteem will improve because you will be in control of yourself, and you wont smell of stinky cigarette, but the most important reason is that you will please God because you will be looking after the body he gave you.

You will probably have withdrawal symptoms but the truth is that they only last several weeks....if you can get through those first few weeks of symptoms, you will get through them but there are practical things you can do during that time... sleep longer, drink lots of water and juices, eat good foods, exercise and breath deeply to fill your lungs with fresh air.

And watch who you socialize with, If you are always with smokers, then it will make it difficult to give up...and if you are out socializing, people will likely be smoking around you, so try to avoid that while you are giving up.

Its really good that you see smoking as something to give up, you already have the right attitude, so start praying about it and work in harmony with your prayers, throw your smokes away, visit your doctor if you need to see if some medications can be provided to help stop smoking and talk about your desire to quit, keep it in focus. I wish you all the best.

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
One of my reason to quite smoking is because I want to get closer to girl that I know for a year or so about she a really great girl and follow God footstep. I know if I quite smoking I can get closer to her and I would one day see if can go pass a friendship. (Not sure why I really share that.)

One of the reason why I like to smoke is because I like the feel of the smoke. I don't really mind the taste of it. I guess why I smoke america spirits. I also found it good way to keep me from stressing out.

Praying.... I not sure how to answer that one. I am not going to say I don't know how to pray because I believe everyone on the earth know how to pray. I just don't find the peace as I should. I think if you are praying you should get some kind of peace. I know you have to pray with the right heart and even when I do doesn't feel any different.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
your smoking just may be a barrier to your prayers and perhaps that is why you dont feel peace when you pray.

God has some expectations of us and we need to meet those expectations for him to hear us and help us. For example Paul tells us at Romans 12:1-2 Consequently I entreat YOU by the compassions of God, brothers, to present YOUR bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with YOUR power of reason. 2 And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making YOUR mind over, that YOU may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God

can a smoker fill this requirement? If you are poisoning yourself with toxic smoke, do you think God will find that acceptable? tobacco smoke is a pollutant. It befouls the body which God wants you to make holy, a living sacrifice to him. But your body is not clean while you smoke. This is a powerful reason to quit. If you are praying for the right things, such as help to quit, then God will hear you.

I can get you some more information on smoking.. .i'll post it tomorrow, i have to go out now. check back and i'll have some more info for you. :)

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
Well, I can say it not the smoking because I been praying since I been little kid and never same to get any peace. Tell you truth I don't even know what the peace feels like.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Have faith, rejoice, God is near, Wayne. :)

But we need to submit to him if we are going to overcome. If we want to overcome things for our own best interest, we will have to do it in our own strength. If we want to walk in God's strength, we must also want it for his sake, not something else.

If we give all to be with God and as he is, then he will show us the way.

Greetings!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Well, I can say it not the smoking because I been praying since I been little kid and never same to get any peace. Tell you truth I don't even know what the peace feels like.

No one does Wayne.

That’s the great battle that rages within - the desire to smoke or whatever the device compared to the inner conscience screaming its wrong!

Imagine your body is a wolf and your mind is a lamb...

Which one are you feeding?

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
No one does Wayne.

That’s the great battle that rages within - the desire to smoke or whatever the device compared to the inner conscience screaming its wrong!

Imagine your body is a wolf and your mind is a lamb...

Which one are you feeding?

I figured the lamb. When a wolf get hungry doesn't rage for next meal if can find?

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
I see and I think I understand too.

Good, the mind is very sensitive like a lamb we need to care for it. It will grow strong and gentle if we fed it milk, Gods words are milk for our minds. Do you read the bible?

Wayne

Oct 30, 2011
Time to time. I meaning to get more into it. Right now I am trying to get through Job because something I should refreshed my self on.