How to Test the Spirits?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's Godly medicine....

Proverbs 4:20-22
My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
For they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God always knows what is the best choice for us in each and every decision we have to make while we still have time. Regardless of what any tempters know or do not know, if we are continually surrendering to God and following Him, we will not go astray. I believe this!
Thats the problem, many Christians fill the pews and claim they have surrendered their lives to Him, and yet continue in sin and its bondage.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats the problem, many Christians fill the pews and claim they have surrendered their lives to Him, and yet continue in sin and its bondage.
For me the surrendering needs to be a continuing thing. To surrender to God once is good, but to walk alone in the manner that God knows that we should is an impossible thing for man in his flesh. Without Him we really can do nothing good, God alone is good. God is not tempted, but we, [most all believers] on the other hand, I believe continue to be tempted. When the temptations have been completely and finally overcome in us we will not sin any more. Who has arrived that place? Not me, at least not yet, but I continue to surrender daily and more often than that.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me the surrendering needs to be a continuing thing. To surrender to God once is good, but to walk alone in the manner that God knows that we should is an impossible thing for man in his flesh. Without Him we really can do nothing good, God alone is good. God is not tempted, but we, [most all believers] on the other hand, I believe continue to be tempted. When the temptations have been completely and finally overcome in us we will not sin any more. Who has arrived that place? Not me, at least not yet, but I continue to surrender daily and more often than that.
We must share that with others as its important in our road to be cleansed of sin and sanctification.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There ya go!

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Without Him we really can do nothing good, God alone is good. God is not tempted, but we, [most all believers] on the other hand, I believe continue to be tempted. When the temptations have been completely and finally overcome in us we will not sin any more.
Are you saying that God puts us through various temptations so we can learn to resist or overcome them?

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that God puts us through various temptations so we can learn to resist or overcome them?

It does seem so sometimes, doesnt it?! But It isnt true. God tempts no man.

Remember in the book of Job when Satan went to ask for permission to do bad things to Job? Satan had to ask if he could do that. And God said ok but he set limits on it (dont kill him). So God allowed for satan to persecute His child Job within those parameters and use it to test Job at the same time. God was proud of Job and told Satan Job will tell him to go suck eggs.

It works the same way with us. It isnt God bringing evil upon us, but, hey you gave your life to Him didnt you? Can He test you and train you then? Yes He can!

Everything in this world is a test. This world is like the Carnival of Death, where all the fun houses bring death. Sometimes God just wants to see your reaction in a given situation. Do you Panic? Tantrum? Turn to Him? Have Faith? Every day on this planet brings a series of small tests. I am getting better at recognizing them! I cant always until afterward, but One time He allowed me to get set up for a potential major frustration. And it was weird. It was like a safety valve popped in head (lol) and I laughed and said, Lord I dont know what your doing, but I trust you! And I passed that test! He immediaitely Blessed me!

Obedience to the word is rewarded in this life and in the life to come.

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It works the same way with us. It isnt God bringing evil upon us, but, hey you gave your life to Him didnt you? Can He test you and train you then? Yes He can!
Are you saying that God used His ability to manipulate Satan to get him to test Job by tempting him to curse God and die?

Then later God used His ability to manipulate Satan again, to get him to test Jesus by tempting him when he offered Jesus the kingdoms of this world if He would worship him?

So are you saying that God led Jesus into temptation?

Mat 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

• Wow

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm wondering why Jesus specifically taught His followers to pray, Our Father Who is in heaven....lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil (of the evil one).

I guess Jesus knew from experience what it was like to be led into temptation by His Father. He wouldn't have wanted us to be led into temptation by Father.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I'm wondering why Jesus specifically taught His followers to pray, Our Father Who is in heaven....lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil (of the evil one).

I guess Jesus knew from experience what it was like to be led into temptation by His Father. He wouldn't have wanted us to be led into temptation by Father.
From start to finish the Bible deals with Man versus God in a conflict of wills. Satan tempts Man to oppose God's Will, and God tests Man to see if we will remain faithful to Him, which should be our desire, as expressed when the Lord's Prayer is prayed in earnest.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rewards are to the overcomers as per Rev. chaps 2 & 3. Jesus overcame the temptations of his flesh. He made it possible for us by the power of the Holy Spirit to overcome the temptations of our flesh as in...

1jo 2:16For all that is in the world, [1] the lust of the flesh, and [2] the lust of the eyes, and [3] the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
From start to finish the Bible deals with Man versus God in a conflict of wills. Satan tempts Man to oppose God's Will, and God tests Man to see if we will remain faithful to Him, which should be our desire, as expressed when the Lord's Prayer is prayed in earnest.
Is Jesus's Father modus operandi to lead us into temptation? So therefore does one need to ask Him each day to change that for us?
Mat 6:11-13 Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Remember in the book of Job when Satan went to ask for permission to do bad things to Job? Satan had to ask if he could do that. And God said ok but he set limits on it (dont kill him). So God allowed for satan to persecute His child Job within those parameters and use it to test Job at the same time. God was proud of Job and told Satan Job will tell him to go suck eggs.

Everything in this world is a test. This world is like the Carnival of Death, where all the fun houses bring death. Sometimes God just wants to see your reaction in a given situation. Do you Panic? Tantrum? Turn to Him? Have Faith? Every day on this planet brings a series of small tests. I am getting better at recognizing them! I cant always until afterward, but One time He allowed me to get set up for a potential major frustration. And it was weird. It was like a safety valve popped in head (lol) and I laughed and said, Lord I dont know what your doing, but I trust you! And I passed that test! He immediaitely Blessed me!

Obedience to the word is rewarded in this life and in the life to come.
May I have a verse that says God tests us? Or even Job?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Is Jesus's Father modus operandi to lead us into temptation?
Let's try it with a comma or pause after lead. Lead us, not into temptation, but deliver us etc.

The Holy Spirit didn't lead Jesus into temptation in the desert, but to be tempted as preparation for His Ministry and Mission.

Mat 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Reactions: MA2444

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Let's try it with a comma or pause after lead. Lead us, not into temptation, but deliver us etc.

The Holy Spirit didn't lead Jesus into temptation in the desert, but to be tempted as preparation for His Ministry and Mission.

Sure. If that's what the Spirit has revealed to you then what can I say. Maybe, amen.

And hope Father doesn't lead you into temptation, to be tempted by the devil.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Judg 2:20-22
20 And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel; and he said, Because that this people hath transgressed my covenant which I commanded their fathers, and have not hearkened unto my voice;

I also will not henceforth drive out any from before them of the nations which Joshua left when he died:
22 That through them I may prove Israel, whether they will keep the way of the LORD to walk therein, as their fathers did keep it, or not.
KJV

Reactions: MA2444

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
OK guys you have gone off the thread.

Testing the spirits is not because God is testing us.

If you want a thread about being tempted, you could have one for that, such as the purpose of being tempted, is to overcome it.. ( not to be overcome of evil, but by good, to overcome evil)..

Romans 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

2 Peter 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

But testing the spirits is because the spirits are trying to overcome faith. ( little children have overcome them, because GREATER IS HE THAT IS IN YOU, THAN HE THAT IS IN THE WORLD/MANY ANTICHRISTS SENT INTO THE WORLD.)

WHOSOVER US BORN OF GOD OVECOMES THE WORLD, and this is the VICTORY THAT OVERCOMES THE WORLD, even OUR FAITH...

1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?