How to Walk in Righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was responding to this…:stageright:

Use the quote feature. Your post got mixed up with his…
I couldn't link to Epi's post from my in-box to be able to quote it and couldn't find it on the thread when I went looking for it, so that is why I ended up copying/pasting it. I guess you were thinking that his post that I put in brackets marks were my comments..?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And that is the rub isn't it. To you or myself you may not think they or a person is/ are serious. Many are really serious about word of the Spirit here and yes, you or I may think not. It does not negate us from budding the fruits of the Spirit as God desires from us if we are given more...we are expected to show more in return.

The truth is too much to take when you have been religiously indoctrinated to become a Pharisee. Look how Jesus and the religious of His day interacted.

So either I'm the Pharisee, or else the ones who are doing the naming and claiming...and denying the power of the gospel are.

I know where you stand on this. You don't need to write out your thoughts. I already know how you think.
Blessing again to you if you took all this in sincerity and kindness of love that God can only give to us as a brother in Christ, for you. And the same advise is given to me of course.

If you are sincere...I will be. If you mock Christ and the truth...I will choose to laugh and treat it as a joke rather than never speaking to you again.
Laughing can be of two basic types, ridiculing the person is some way and of their sincere exchange of giving their heart to you, or the joy and experience of sharing with them and loving them. You can choose which way to go, as I also.
I choose to not take seriously when I see blasphemy because I realize the level of ignorance in these modern times to the ways of God. As in...forgive them Father, they know not what they do. But since it's my thread...I'm going to stay here and expect the true mockers of God to go elsewhere. Let them start their own threads. If they stay I will play games with them...to hopefully chase them away...or...if they would stop taking themselves so seriously for a moment...start a deeper conversation.

But I am DEEPLY aware of the fate of so many of those who call themselves brothers today.

Reactions: faithfulness

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What it doesn't mean is that the person is ever free from sin just by reckoning
Epi, I don't know if you realize how you are commnicating. The qualifier 'just by reckoning' is not something I recall anyone ever claiming.

So, I don't know if you are invoking a Strawman, perhaps unconsciously, or if there is a genuine communication problem here. I saw your French exchange with @APAK. So, I'll ask a foundational question in all sincerity, simplifying your statement above. Can a person EVER be free from sin?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've found at the conscious level, I sin not because I stopped trusting Jesus, but I failed to take every thought captive to Christ.

When things inevitably go sideways, I am disappointed in myself and ask, "Why didn't I pray on this before I acted?"
Good reply!

Yes, me too, this is where the battle is won or lost. When I'm talking about trusting Jesus to be the cure for sin, this is where our power to deny sin comes from. Realizing when those fleshy thoughts come into my head, that's when to take hold of that power to defeat the sin that would come into my life.

Trusting that I'm fully reconciled to God through Jesus, and trusting that He's truly made me free from sin, my walk is such that my conscience is clean. Allowing fleshy thoughts, failing to differentiate between flesh and Spirit, just as you say, that's where it begins.

Much love!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
any belief that points to man or us and not to CHRIST , i would call wrong beliefs and fleshly understanding .
But that which points too and honors the SON , HONORS GOD who sent HIM .
Now hit the trenches . its all out war for the souls of men and we got those who point to men and not to CHRIST .
and those will not be heeded by the lambs .
Amen !

Jesus said the OT was about Himself
Luke 24:25-27
And He said to them, "O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 " Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?" 27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

John 5:39-40
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Luke 24:44-45
Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

Jesus said the Holy Spirit will bear witness of HIM

John 15:26
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:7-9
But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me

John 16:13-14
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Epi, I don't know if you realize how you are commnicating. The qualifier 'just by reckoning' is not something I recall anyone ever claiming.

So, I don't know if you are invoking a Strawman, perhaps unconsciously, or if there is a genuine communication problem here. I saw your French exchange with @APAK. So, I'll ask a foundational question in all sincerity, simplifying your statement above. Can a person EVER be free from sin?
Yes. But only by abiding in Christ. In Him is no sin. There is a mystery here that unless you have experienced resurrection life...still the greatest secret in the world... you will never believe it.

I think unbelievers understand this better because they haven't learned to limit God by becoming religious and reciting dogma.

I walked with God BEFORE going to a church institution...so I wasn't indoctrinated into limiting God.

I'm very thankful for that. But I never fit in with the religiously converted people.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Being bapitized into Christ means one is baptized into His death. Which means one is co-crucified with Him, which results in our death, and makes us dead to sin, and freed from sin. Romans 6:7 literally says, the one who is dead is justified away from sin.

We are to reckon it so. The faithless walk is to disbelieve this passage, and continue to struggle against sin. Believing this is true, and trusting in Jesus' death and resurrection to have reconciled us to God, that is the faith in which we stand. In trusting Jesus, that this very thing is true, that God has freed us from sin, making us dead to sin, that's just the first part. The second part is even more glorious!

We are now alive unto God. Living in that truth, not sinning is just the beginning.

With that being said, not even Paul himself considered himself to be the fit judge of himself, and deferred that judgment - sinless/not sinless - to Jesus.

If we are baptised into Jesus Christ, and we receive in faith the truth of these words, we find that sin is in fact powerless over us. Just like the Bible says.

It's up to each of us whether we will receive or reject His Word.

Much love!
Problematic, but I go with what stands written and concur to the Scripture references.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. But only by abiding in Christ. In Him is no sin. There is a mystery here that unless you have experienced resurrection life...still the greatest secret in the world... you will never believe it.
Why do I believe it then? I’ve never walked in the Spirit but I looked carefully and have seen in scripture that it’s true.

I read if we abide in Him we do not sin and my thought was, I still sin, therefore I cannot be abiding in Him.

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think unbelievers understand this better because they haven't learned to limit God by becoming religious and reciting dogma.

I walked with God BEFORE going to a church institution...so I wasn't indoctrinated into limiting God.

I'm very thankful for that. But I never fit in with the religiously converted people.
Do you have a local church that you regularly fellowship at ?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do I believe it then? I’ve never walked in the Spirit but I looked carefully and have seen in scripture that it’s true.
Everyone should believe it

when we walk int he spirit, we do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. all of Gods people have this ability.

Where we run into trouble is thinking it is something it is not. Or thinking we can do it 24/7.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, I see the same thing here.

In this place,

1 Corinthians 4:3-5 KJV
3) But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
4) For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5) Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Paul is saying that though his conscience is clear, that doesn't mean he's right about that, because Jesus, not himself, is the true judge. Paul, and ourselves, are not qualified judges, therefore we speak from ignorance if we say we've stopped sinning.

For someone to say, "I'm in a state of sinlessness", they are elevating themself above what Paul dared say, and taking on the place of Jesus Himself.

"Being made conformable to His death", summorphoumenos, "being made to share the form of His death".

Philippians 3:9-10 KJV
9) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10) That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

We seek His righteousness, not our own, but the righteousness God gives us by faith. For the reason that we may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, as we are being made to share the form of His death.

Seeking your own righteousness is contrary to the end of knowing Him, the power of His resurrection, fellowship of His sufferings, and does cause us to share the form of His death.

Much love!
I like that word symmorphizo there. If, I'm not mistaken it seems to leave room for both what has been accomplished in us as well as what is happening along the way.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

You have faith and trust in God from the inner man. These others trust in the promises of God but with the part of them that is meant to be crucified...the outer man,
I read if we abide in Him we do not sin and my thought was, I still sin, therefore I cannot be abiding in Him.
Belonging to Christ is VERY hard. It means being gutted of yourself...crucified...stuck to a wall/ Only the SELFLESS can remain there. It's SO hard. But I managed to last for a time because I had already experienced the loss of that level of intimacy. And that was worse! To lose it after knowing it is the most painful thing.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone should believe it

when we walk int he spirit, we do not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. all of Gods people have this ability.

Where we run into trouble is thinking it is something it is not. Or thinking we can do it 24/7.
Ability? Or access?
I at least know it’s possible 24/7 for some amount of years.

Reactions: Episkopos

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Problematic, but I go with what stands written and concur to the Scripture references.
Generally speaking, we need to be trained to walk in the consistency of faith.

Romans 5:1-5 KJV
1) Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2) By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3) And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4) And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5) And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Tribulations - contrary circumstances, inside us, or outside us, produce patience/endurance. IF we are His children, either we fight against our circumstance in a fleshy way, until learn that it doesn't work, or we endure while continuing to do His works, until the contrary thing is resolved.

Repeating that experience, and seeing how God cares for us, this builds a "body of evidence" in our lives that God's word is true, and we can in fact count on Him. And that gives us hope for the future, that is, the Biblical sort of hope - the expected outcome of our faith. That He will continue to work all things for our good. And we will never be disappointed in this, because in truth God has "outpoured" His love into our hearts.

I like the KJV translation here, the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts. God's intent for us is that we will be conduits of His love to those around us. So He's training us through tribulations to trust Him implicitly, and in trusting Him implicity, to walk in His Spirit, in righteousness.

Much love!

BTW . . . if you ever see me in error as I work with the Greek text, please DO let me know!

Reactions: Johann

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ability? Or access?
I at least know it’s possible 24/7 for some amount of years.
The keeping power of God is powerful. You only fall out of the Spirit when you sin a sin unto death. OR..as in the case...you want out so badly because you are stuck in Zion and your selfish nature can't handle it.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we need to be trained to walk in the consistency of faith.
I agree with that. It’s a race of trust. Fall down, get up and begin racing again. Trust, trust, and trust more. We are running to grab what we have been grabbed FOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.