I’m in a strange place: very conservative, but not Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Politics suck. You can focus all your time and energy on politics but it is just overwhelmingly negative. Focus on Jesus!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I couldn’t get into it primarily because I can’t put my faith in something that cannot be proven. I am in no way insinuating that God does not exist because I can’t prove it. But, it is the assertions of people who claim God exists that places the burden of proof on them. This goes for all religions that make claims of a god or gods. I could care less which religion is responsible for the most hypocrisy and violence throughout human history. That stuff can be debated to death and it distracts from the main issue: meeting the burden of proof for anyone making assertions of something without proof.

I don't consider you full on atheist, because you showed up here. I think if you were a headstrong atheist, you wouldn't be curious or questioning/testing your life philosophy, but you are opening up and searching for "something". And I'm wondering is it because something about this direction is unsatisfying and leaving some empty space, like you are missing something?

But as for violence , that was people and NOT religion."

Everything you said you detest (murder, violence, evil) is exactly what God said not to do and you're basically saying you also wish people followed Christ's example.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I can’t believe in something I can’t see evidence of
It's called faith. You can't see it. The evidence becomes apparent once we have given our lives to Jesus and his Holy spirit comes to live in us. All Christians have had that experience when they see the difference jesus makes to their lives. We all have similar experiences. Each one of us has our own unique story. Our lives become brighter, we become more content and are filled with joy. That could also be your story, your evidence if you wanted it to be.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can sit here and argue that the SCOTUS is religiously driven but it cannot be proven.

It would also be illegal. "Religious considerations" are disqualified form both congressional and legal decisions. What the individual "justices" base their opinions on is their own business. It surprised me that they sent up that "Test Balloon" before publishing their Roe v Wade turn around. I don't think I've ever seen the supreme court do that before over the last 80 years. could be they've become "just another" bunch of hack politicians.

GOP just needs more secular officials in my opinion.

Chuckle!!! There's plenty of unregenerates on both sides already.

I don’t believe in government taking care of people because there’s no evidence that it helps people.

Easier to just let 'em die, for sure. The "Dole" in England should have let us know what was going to happen.

Frankly, I’m surprised most atheists aren’t conservatives.

Most "Atheists" are really nothing more than confused run of the mill "Agnostics".

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
That isn't the air you breathe it is the carbon dioxide vapour that we breathe out.

Breathing includes both inhaling and exhaling. Carbon dioxide is just the byproduct of cellular respiration after breathing in O2. Oxygen can be seen when supercooled enough to a liquid state.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It would also be illegal. "Religious considerations" are disqualified form both congressional and legal decisions. What the individual "justices" base their opinions on is their own business. It surprised me that they sent up that "Test Balloon" before publishing their Roe v Wade turn around. I don't think I've ever seen the supreme court do that before over the last 80 years. could be they've become "just another" bunch of hack politicians.

Chuckle!!! There's plenty of unregenerates on both sides already.

Easier to just let 'em die, for sure. The "Dole" in England should have let us know what was going to happen.

Most "Atheists" are really nothing more than confused run of the mill "Agnostics".

Your last statement about atheists being confused is a good example of outgroup bias where “If they’re not with us, they are against us” sort of deal. Many atheists have arrived at their conclusion rationally by closely analyzing the claim of a god’s existence. It has nothing to do with anger towards god. Atheism is what happens when you read the Bible. Christianity is what happens when someone else reads it for you. At least that’s what happened to me. And upon closer examination of how Christians think about God in certain situations, it demonstrates even more irrationality. For example, whenever something good happens for a Christian, they consider it a blessing from God. But when something bad happens to them spontaneously…then all of a sudden “God works in mysterious ways.”

I don’t make claims about a god existing or not existing, I simply admit I don’t know so therefore I lack the belief in one. That is as honest as one can get-if they are actually being rational.

Do you feel lost or confused without the existence of the thousands of gods you don’t believe in? You know the Muslims think Christians are confused and lost. In fact I’ve seen Muslims assert that Jesus himself was a Muslim. I avoid those kinds of debates since the people entrenched in those debates haven’t even begun debating the existence of a god.

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Breathing includes both inhaling and exhaling. Carbon dioxide is just the byproduct of cellular respiration after breathing in O2. Oxygen can be seen when supercooled enough to a liquid state.
Just 21% is oxygen, 78% of the air we breathe is Nitrogen, remaining is carbon dioxide, neon, hydrogen and a few more.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t make claims about a god existing or not existing, I simply admit I don’t know so therefore I lack the belief in one.

SO like I said, you're just another Agnostic, who doesn't know WHAT to believe. I used to be one myself - until God brought me up short one evening in Houston 59 years ago.

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
SO like I said, you're just another Agnostic, who doesn't know WHAT to believe. I used to be one myself - until God brought me up short one evening in Houston 59 years ago.

It is about being honest with myself when I don’t know something rather than fallaciously making an assertion without the proper evidence for it. The idea of “not knowing” scares a lot of people, they want to fill in the gap…I understand. I would rather not fill in that gap and use a more reliable tool in the arsenal-science. Science doesn’t have all the answers, but it is continuously moving forward. Religion only serves to impede the progress humanity can make…rationally speaking. It does make people feel better about themselves and if that is what’s going to take for someone dying of cancer for example, I would not want to take that away from them. But as far as progress goes, religion stands in the way more often than not. We have come a long way in the past 500 years due to science. Religion on the other hand, has remained stagnant. It is antiquated, it is stifling the GOP. There is a reason why it has earned the titles of being anti-science, just a bunch of conspiracy theorists who lack critical thinking.

You want to talk about God’s existence…in that case, God also gave you the ability to think critically. However once you begin to think critically, the belief in a god dies the moment you question it. Christians talk about salvation and I agree, they are saved…saved from asking questions.

The churches ask for money…you question them, “But isn’t money the root of all evil?” They tell you, “No no, it’s the love of money.” Ok that explains it all, here you go. Many prey on people’s guilt without the people noticing that just maybe their own church has the problem of ‘the love of money.’ How many luxurious cars and nice vacations do you see these pastors getting and going on? Of course they’ll tell you all that money is a blessing from God. In the end they’re in Cancun, and you’re at home asking for forgiveness. They don’t have to open their books for the state or report anything. They’ve got it good.

Last edited:

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Famous televangelist Kenneth Copeland got caught off guard by this interviewer asking him about his lavish lifestyle. I’m atheist but this guy now makes me question my stance on the existence of demons.
https://youtu.be/9LtF34MrsfI

Last edited:
Reactions: BeyondET

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Famous televangelist Kenneth Copeland got caught off guard by this interviewer asking him about his lavish lifestyle. I’m atheist but this guy now makes me question my stance on the existence of demons.

He is missing a few screws but that's nothing new hehe. people have been doing that for a very long time. His similar to the Pharisee's of the NT. they walked around wanting to be seen and wanted the perks that comes with the position.
that kind of stuff is mentioned in scripture

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
He is missing a few screws but that's nothing new hehe. people have been doing that for a very long time. His similar to the Pharisee's of the NT. they walked around wanting to be seen and wanted the perks that comes with the position.
that kind of stuff is mentioned in scripture

Yes, it’s mentioned in scripture. One verse comes to mind-Matthew 7:15 “Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves.”

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“Show me evidence of this god which can’t be seen.”
KJV Isaiah 46:5-10
5 To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?
6 They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god: they fall down, yea, they worship.
7 They bear him upon the shoulder, they carry him, and set him in his place, and he standeth; from his place shall he not remove: yea, one shall cry unto him, yet can he not answer, nor save him out of his trouble.
8 Remember this, and shew yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors.
9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

KJV Isaiah 41:21-26
21 Produce your cause, saith the LORD; bring forth your strong reasons, saith the King of Jacob.
22 Let them bring them forth, and shew us what shall happen: let them shew the former things, what they be, that we may consider them, and know the latter end of them; or declare us things for to come.
23 Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.
24 Behold, ye are of nothing, and your work of nought: an abomination is he that chooseth you.
25 I have raised up one from the north, and he shall come: from the rising of the sun shall he call upon my name: and he shall come upon princes as upon morter, and as the potter treadeth clay.
26 Who hath declared from the beginning, that we may know? and beforetime, that we may say, He is righteous? yea, there is none that sheweth, yea, there is none that declareth, yea, there is none that heareth your words.

KJV Isaiah 48:3-7
3 I have declared the former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth, and I shewed them; I did them suddenly, and they came to pass.
4 Because I knew that thou art obstinate, and thy neck is an iron sinew, and thy brow brass;
5 I have even from the beginning declared it to thee; before it came to pass I shewed it thee: lest thou shouldest say, Mine idol hath done them, and my graven image, and my molten image, hath commanded them.
6 Thou hast heard, see all this; and will not ye declare it? I have shewed thee new things from this time, even hidden things, and thou didst not know them.
7 They are created now, and not from the beginning; even before the day when thou heardest them not; lest thou shouldest say, Behold, I knew them.

Jesus speaking...
KJV John 13:19
19 Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he .
KJV John 14:29
29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

Throughout the OT, the prophets challenged Israel to give up idolatry, knowing that idols were nothing but man's imagination. God spoke through the prophets, telling the people, who else can tell the future? Who else knows the end from the beginning? As Jesus said, I tell you these things before they come to pass, that when you witness them, you may believe.
Prophecy. The greatest testament to the reality of God.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it’s mentioned in scripture. One verse comes to mind-Matthew 7:15 “Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep but are really vicious wolves.”

Yea there's quite a few maybe some started out with good intentions but probably greed and others things caused the turn in the wrong direction

Interesting some of questions ask about money there's nothing wrong with having it another example of that is the story of can't remember his name but gave his tomb to Jesus and he was a rich disciple.
So imo its more about whats in the heart than anything I assume.

Reactions: Dropship

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
very conservative, but not Christian ...Can anyone offer any insight into this?

Yes, you can understand the map without ever having visited the territory.

The political Left can be rejected on many sound principles. I, myself, am a Libertarian. Once, an atheist supporter asserted it is important WHY people embrace liberty. I disagreed. As a political activist, I do not care why people support my position, only that they do. This is not the case with religion.

I would like to know what are your religious beliefs and why do you hold them?

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
KJV Isaiah 46:5-10
5 To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?
6 They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god: they fall down, yea, they worship.
7 They bear him upon the shoulder, they carry him, and set him in his place, and he standeth; from his place shall he not remove: yea, one shall cry unto him, yet can he not answer, nor save him out of his trouble.
8 Remember this, and shew yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors.
9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:

KJV Isaiah 41:21-26
21 Produce your cause, saith the LORD; bring forth your strong reasons, saith the King of Jacob.
22 Let them bring them forth, and shew us what shall happen: let them shew the former things, what they be, that we may consider them, and know the latter end of them; or declare us things for to come.
23 Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.
24 Behold, ye are of nothing, and your work of nought: an abomination is he that chooseth you.
25 I have raised up one from the north, and he shall come: from the rising of the sun shall he call upon my name: and he shall come upon princes as upon morter, and as the potter treadeth clay.
26 Who hath declared from the beginning, that we may know? and beforetime, that we may say, He is righteous? yea, there is none that sheweth, yea, there is none that declareth, yea, there is none that heareth your words.

KJV Isaiah 48:3-7
3 I have declared the former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth, and I shewed them; I did them suddenly, and they came to pass.
4 Because I knew that thou art obstinate, and thy neck is an iron sinew, and thy brow brass;
5 I have even from the beginning declared it to thee; before it came to pass I shewed it thee: lest thou shouldest say, Mine idol hath done them, and my graven image, and my molten image, hath commanded them.
6 Thou hast heard, see all this; and will not ye declare it? I have shewed thee new things from this time, even hidden things, and thou didst not know them.
7 They are created now, and not from the beginning; even before the day when thou heardest them not; lest thou shouldest say, Behold, I knew them.

Jesus speaking...
KJV John 13:19
19 Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he .
KJV John 14:29
29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

Throughout the OT, the prophets challenged Israel to give up idolatry, knowing that idols were nothing but man's imagination. God spoke through the prophets, telling the people, who else can tell the future? Who else knows the end from the beginning? As Jesus said, I tell you these things before they come to pass, that when you witness them, you may believe.
Prophecy. The greatest testament to the reality of God.

Quoting the Bible is not evidence of a god. For example saying that the Bible is the word of God because the Bible says so, because the Bible is infallible….is circular reasoning.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The liberals ask me how the hell are you conservative and don’t believe in god? The conservatives ask me, how the hell do you not believe in God, but aren’t liberal? I get into it with the Christians, the atheists, the liberals, and the conservatives. People say ohhh don’t let labels affect you. Those labels mean a lot. If you are Christian in the fundamental, that massively affects your political stance. And if you are not a Christian, then your political stance on issues will be seen as very unChristian by the typical Christians.

I consider myself spiritual, but not religious. I was raised Christian Orthodox but I never cared to take it seriously.

It’s just funny because I have a lot of Christian values but I never liked the idea of not being my own ultimate authority which I guess allows me to hold many unChristian values at the exact same time. It’s tough. I consider the other alternative of someone like myself to be a liberal Christian…that too is another conundrum.

Can anyone offer any insight into this?

Yeah, stop listening..
Hugs

Romanov2488

Jul 20, 2022
Charlotte
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yes, you can understand the map without ever having visited the territory.

The political Left can be rejected on many sound principles. I, myself, am a Libertarian. Once, an atheist supporter asserted it is important WHY people embrace liberty. I disagreed. As a political activist, I do not care why people support my position, only that they do. This is not the case with religion.

I would like to know what are your religious beliefs and why do you hold them?

I have no religious beliefs. I am a hard line atheist to the point that not only do I lack the belief in a god, but I also lack belief in souls, demons, witchcraft, reincarnation, superstition, etc. All I can say is life is a mystery and that mystery gives it meaning. I don’t think it’s ever possible to truly know the absolute truth of life..but we can keep making discoveries. If we think we know it all, then we stop asking questions and no longer asking questions is the end of critical thought.

If there is a gap…we might eventually be able to find the answer to it and if we never do…then that’s alright as well. I refrain from filling in a gap with some imaginary comfort story, in order to leave the door open for any possibility..that alone is what I would consider being “spiritual” at best.

I get into it with other atheists because many other atheists will replace a deity with a soul, a spirit, the idea of enlightenment, etc. to which we end back at square one: show us proof of this enlightenment or soul you speak of.

The Buddhists have reincarnation and enlightenment. The Christians have their talking snakes, the Muslims have their trusty winged pony-horse Buraq. Buddha reached Nirvana, Jesus walked on water, Muhammed split the moon. Are we getting it yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Quoting the Bible is not evidence of a god. For example saying that the Bible is the word of God because the Bible says so, because the Bible is infallible….is circular reasoning.
That was not the intention for my quoting of the Bible. I was not presenting those texts as stand alone proofs of God. I was hoping you would actually read them and understand what they were saying. All of those texts were making a proposal... Issuing a challenge. They were basically saying: consider prophecy. Who else knows the future other than God? It is prophecy itself and it's complete and accurate fulfillment in history that proves the inspiration of scripture; the power and foreknowledge of the God of the bible in being able to describe events before they happen, and have the power to bring them about.
After accompanying Jesus to the top of a mountain, the apostles of Jesus, Peter, James and John, witnessed the appearance of Elijah and Moses who spoke with Jesus for a time concerning the impending crucifixion. Later, Peter wrote in effect, that as great and as awesome and memorable as that event was, seeing two Hebrew heroes in the flesh talking with his Master, such events were never to be used as evidence for truth and validation for faith... He said, quote, there is the more sure word of prophecy, which brings light to darkness.
Daniel; Part One.