I don't read the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Shalom,

Must one read the Bible all by oneself? Or is it better to read expositions by scholars such as McLaren, Spurgeon etc.? As lay people, we may not understand anything profound without the help of scholars.

Elysian

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Shalom,

Must one read the Bible all by oneself? .

Yes.

Or is it better to read expositions by scholars such as McLaren, Spurgeon etc.?

No.

As lay people, we may not understand anything profound without the help of scholars.

"Man" is indeed fallible...even the best and most devout. There is no profundity that the Holy Spirit cannot unlock.

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2Tim 2:15

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Shalom,

Must one read the Bible all by oneself? Or is it better to read expositions by scholars such as McLaren, Spurgeon etc.? As lay people, we may not understand anything profound without the help of scholars.

Elysian

The bible is not meant to be received on an intellectual level. It is not a book of philosophy. It is a record of God interacting with mankind. We are to become involved in that interaction ourselves. The testimony of others is to spur us on to seek the Lord for ourselves and experience what godly men and women have experienced before us...a relationship with their Creator.

Reactions: Marta and elysian

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how someone can read the Bible and not be touched at some point by something completely relevant to his or her life. My caution here is to not get too simplistic with Scripture and make it either/or because God can speak through both - and He does often do that. The Bible is the Word of God given to us, and commentary on it by reasonably trusted sources should come in addition to in this case.

If your relationship with Jesus is defined totally through the lens of someone else, then it's not your relationship. There will be no commentator between you and God when the day comes. While, on the other hand, the Bible is not for private interpretation (II Peter 1:20). There simply is a healthy balance.

Reactions: Marta

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I don't know how someone can read the Bible and not be touched at some point by something completely relevant to his or her life. My caution here is to not get too simplistic with Scripture and make it either/or because God can speak through both - and He does often do that. The Bible is the Word of God given to us, and commentary on it by reasonably trusted sources should come in addition to in this case.

If your relationship with Jesus is defined totally through the lens of someone else, then it's not your relationship. There will be no commentator between you and God when the day comes. While, on the other hand, the Bible is not for private interpretation (II Peter 1:20). There simply is a healthy balance.

Although at first this (highlighted in red) seems to be the best way. I had a horrible time trying to understand alot of the deeper meanings because I hadn't grasped the simpler meanings. I think steps work with everything. It all builds on itself.

To anwer the OP, It's an ancient Catholic tradition that says the layman cannot possible interpret the Bible on his own. The Bible must be translated by the Clergy who is inspired by God. While it can be benifitial to read scholarly authors and listen to different preachers, that shouldn't be your mainstay. It's important that you read the Bible, however, that doesn't mean you have to be submersed in it. There's alot that's hard to take when you first reading. Become familiar with the verses, then later, as you think on a certain verse, you'll eventually understand. It's all an incredibly complex and long journey.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do not have to read the Bible. You are missing out on the richness of our faith if you decide not to. In fact, I am not sure how I would remain engaged in my sanctification if I stopped reading it.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Thanks, everyone. What I mean is, I find certain parts utterly boring. They simply describe events, which king did what, who went where etc. With commentaries, these 'boring' portions make better sense. Reading the gospel, however, is a different matter. It is interesting, with or without commentary.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom,

Elysian

This appears to touch on 'Sola Scriptura'.. For the Reformers it never meant 'me and my bible'. This would lead to having reinvent the wheel each time a heresy came along. What it does mean is that the Church Fathers have taught things that are helpful and edifying and should be consulted by the present day church. Yet, and here is where they differed from Rome, when there becomes a dispute between a teaching of one of the Fathers (or any teacher) and Scripture, guess who wins? Scripture has the FINAL authority.
So yes, by all means read the 'Greats' but keep your bible in hand.
If we ignore the teachings of those who went before and ignore what our local pastor and elders are teaching, and it becomes just 'Jesus, the Bible and me' then we definitely are heading for trouble.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This appears to touch on 'Sola Scriptura'.. For the Reformers it never meant 'me and my bible'. This would lead to having reinvent the wheel each time a heresy came along. What it does mean is that the Church Fathers have taught things that are helpful and edifying and should be consulted by the present day church. Yet, and here is where they differed from Rome, when there becomes a dispute between a teaching of one of the Fathers (or any teacher) and Scripture, guess who wins? Scripture has the FINAL authority.
So yes, by all means read the 'Greats' but keep your bible in hand.
If we ignore the teachings of those who went before and ignore what our local pastor and elders are teaching, and it becomes just 'Jesus, the Bible and me' then we definitely are heading for trouble.

I agree with your post.

I have a question.......what if you are reading one of the Greats and their writings seem to contradict what you know to be true in scripture and after you consult scripture, it is confirmed in your mind. Unfortunately, the scripture that you are interpreting is being filtered through you post-enlightenment, Western mind?

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
I agree with your post.

I have a question.......what if you are reading one of the Greats and their writings seem to contradict what you know to be true in scripture and after you consult scripture, it is confirmed in your mind. Unfortunately, the scripture that you are interpreting is being filtered through you post-enlightenment, Western mind?

Is it at all possible to understand the bible directly without relying on the greats?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it at all possible to understand the bible directly without relying on the greats?

Yes. The message of the gospel is to love God and others rather than living for yourself. In order to love God and others we need to know them. Everything else is just edification for our sanctification,

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
<p>Scholars, lets see, there was this man called Saul, soon to become Paul, well known and loved by the pharisees because he was a scholar, knew the scriptures well, thought he had it all, walked around murdering Christians, because he thought he had it right and the scholars agreed with him, then one day, He met Christ had a one on one experience with the one he thought he was helping, but discovered to his dismay that he was persecuting the one who came to save him. Finally realized what foolishness it was and then decided,

Php 3:4  Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5  Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6  Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7  But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8  Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Then more importantly,

Gal 1:11  But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

Gal 1:12  For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

So do we go to Christ with a glass that is fill of our and mens understanding, or do we empty ourselves so He can fill us with His wisdom.

In His LOVE

Reactions: Shirley

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I agree with your post.

Very good question Aspen, this is exactly why we must make and allow HolySpirit to be our teacher, the textbook without a proper/ qualified teacher does more harm than good IMO.
Paradigm does indeed effect/infect our understanding. Just look at what John the baptist and Jesus were preaching, "repent for the kingdom of God is at hand".
The Greek word metanoeō which was translated as "repent" means to change the way that you think, not just your thought about something but your paradigm (mindset) or your way of thinking. Israel was wrong about so many things concerning the kingdom, their whole mindset was wrong and we can clearly see that it even effected the partakers and believers in the new covenant. Even Paul had to leave and get away to Arabia and allow HolySpirit to change his paradigm on things especially God's plan for the redemption of mankind.
Today I believe that we have as much if not more opposition when it comes to this struggle, considering the compiled false teachings compounded down through the centuries.

HolySpirit is able to straighten out our paradigm but we must come away from the influences of religious false teachings.

Reactions: Shirley

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
We should study The Bible first by reading it, while always praying to The Father that He open up His Word to us in understanding. That's always the first step. The condition of our mind and heart with Him is extremely important. We can't fool our Heavenly Father.

Understanding only comes from Him as we open up His Word in study. The Holy Spirit is how that is given. If we don't do our own homework in it, we'd just be accepting what some man says when going to commentaries instead. Don't get me wrong though, Bible commentaries are useful, and God has provided Christian believers with some good historical scholars He called to be teachers.

A Bible study group is a good example of how we each need to have private Bible study sessions too. If someone by The Holy Spirit offers an understanding of Scripture in a Bible study group, until you go into God's Word for yourself about it, asking our Heavenly Father, then it won't be yours. If it was an important revelation by The Holy Spirit, it's still not yours from God until you confirm it in His Word with His help.

I know from experience that checking it out for ourselves pleases our Heavenly Father, just as those at Berea in Acts 17 pleased Apostle Paul when they got out their copies of Scripture daily to verify what Paul was teaching. I've had some continually ask me simple Bible questions where I gave answer, and told them where to go study it. After a while, I have to kind of get onto some of those because I can tell they haven't bothered to go study it for theirself. It's like God won't 'seal' His Truth in their minds until they do take time to do their own Bible study, which reminds me of what Paul said to Timothy in 2 Tim.2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Thanks, everyone. What I mean is, I find certain parts utterly boring. They simply describe events, which king did what, who went where etc. With commentaries, these 'boring' portions make better sense. Reading the gospel, however, is a different matter. It is interesting, with or without commentary.

You're not alone there. Reading so and so begat so and so, for pages is mind numbing.