I run from preachers, popes and priests that delve into politics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that's another reason why I no longer consider myself a Catholic. I self-identify as a non-denominational Christian.

Why do I run from them? It's because they are not following the example of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. Jesus never engaged in politics so why should a so-called "preacher" or priest engage in politics? The Pope, of all people, should know better than to wade into the political swamp and muck. Politics is a corrupt and nasty endeavor. So-called religious "leaders" that engage in it are NOT following Jesus but, rather, themselves.

Jesus came here to sacrifice himself for our benefit and to instruct us on how we can attain salvation. It's not complicated. Believe in Jesus as your lord and savior and obey his commandments and teachings, such as loving your neighbor, being forgiving and generous to those in need.

A preacher doesn't need to get into politics to influence his listeners to do the right thing. He just needs to preach Jesus' teachings. True Christians will follow those teachings and vote and act accordingly.

The end. :)

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Was Jesus Political?
By Rev. Mark H. Creech, Christian Post Columnist

Oh, my, are you in error that Jesus never engaged in politics. Jesus message had political corollaries. Take the sermon on the mount as example.
Jesus was a revolutionary. Which is why the Pharisee and the temple elders wanted him dead.
Interestingly, the governor representing Caesar's Rome, Pilate, who was a politician did not find Jesus guilty of the charges the temple elders had sought to be prosecuted against him.
God also admonished his people to vote.
Deuteronomy 1:13-36
Choose for your tribes wise, understanding, and experienced men, and I will appoint them as your heads.’ And you answered me, ‘The thing that you have spoken is good for us to do.’ So I took the heads of your tribes, wise and experienced men, and set them as heads over you, commanders of thousands, commanders of hundreds, commanders of fifties, commanders of tens, and officers, throughout your tribes. And I charged your judges at that time, ‘Hear the cases between your brothers, and judge righteously between a man and his brother or the alien who is with him. You shall not be partial in judgment. You shall hear the small and the great alike. You shall not be intimidated by anyone, for the judgment is God's. And the case that is too hard for you, you shall bring to me, and I will hear it.’

Exodus 18:20-26

And you shall warn them about the statutes and the laws, and make them know the way in which they must walk and what they must do. Moreover, look for able men from all the people, men who fear God, who are trustworthy and hate a bribe, and place such men over the people as chiefs of thousands, of hundreds, of fifties, and of tens. And let them judge the people at all times. Every great matter they shall bring to you, but any small matter they shall decide themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will bear the burden with you. If you do this, God will direct you, you will be able to endure, and all this people also will go to their place in peace.” So Moses listened to the voice of his father-in-law and did all that he had said.

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Old Testament. Where did Jesus discuss political matters? Where did Jesus tell us to use the force of government to inflict our will upon others? Where did Jesus instruct his disciples to engage in politics?

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interestingly, I came across this verse. Is it correct to say that Christians must NOT submit to government orders that violate God's laws?

Submit to Government
13 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves.

K9Buck

Aug 18, 2020
central Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And why would a man of the cloth divert from spreading the word of Jesus in order to pursue political endeavors?

Gideons300

Nov 3, 2020
Maryville, Tn.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that's another reason why I no longer consider myself a Catholic. I self-identify as a non-denominational Christian.

Why do I run from them? It's because they are not following the example of our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. Jesus never engaged in politics so why should a so-called "preacher" or priest engage in politics? The Pope, of all people, should know better than to wade into the political swamp and muck. Politics is a corrupt and nasty endeavor. So-called religious "leaders" that engage in it are NOT following Jesus but, rather, themselves.

Jesus came here to sacrifice himself for our benefit and to instruct us on how we can attain salvation. It's not complicated. Believe in Jesus as your lord and savior and obey his commandments and teachings, such as loving your neighbor, being forgiving and generous to those in need.

A preacher doesn't need to get into politics to influence his listeners to do the right thing. He just needs to preach Jesus' teachings. True Christians will follow those teachings and vote and act accordingly.

The end. :)
Good post. Prepare for conflicting opinions.

blessings,

Gids

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Separation of church and state as presented in the American constitution is a biblical concept. The king looked after the affairs of the state, the priest looked after the affairs of the temple/church. Whenever the king involved himself in religion, by leading Israel into idolatry etc, the result was never good. The prophets usually then intervened. Otherwise they left the king to his business.
When Jesus said to give to Caesar what was rightfully his, he was saying that Caesar had a place in society. But he was to stay in his place. The same for the priest.